• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hogwarts Legacy sells more than 12 million units worldwide in two weeks, racking in 850 million dollars.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
It's sad when a 1/10 sex toy like this gets all those sales but the 9/10 Lelo sila suction barely enters into the orifice, I mean conversation. Sex toy innovation is stagnating.

BigStef71

Neo Member
That's $425 million a piece!

j-k-rowling.jpg
michael fassbender perfection GIF

sandbood

Banned
Elden Ring sold 20M across 5 platforms in a year, and was the second best selling game of 2022 worldwide. Hogwarts did 12M across 3 platforms in 2 weeks... lol
Elden Ring sold 12M in 18 days. We did you get the info about ER being the number 2 in 2022? Pokémon SV and COD are above ER.

ergem

On a budget of $150 million, with Sony helping with the heavy lifting / spending on marketing. The devs earned their bonuses and then some this year.

Hoping j.k rowling would tweet about the success of the game to rub it in. She must have earned a lot of royalty.

BeardGawd

Banned
they want to talk about it so bad I bet.
If it had flopped they'd be talking about it nonstop.
How much of that 850 mill goes to JK Rowling? At least 30-40 mill might?
I wonder this too. If it was my IP I'd charge like 10% of revenue as a Royalty fee. So if this breaks 1 Billion that's a cool $100 Million my way. Even at 5% that's a nice $50 mil. I wonder if we have any stats on things like that? Probably depends on the IP.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
For those of you talking JK Rowling royalties, I wonder too.

The $850M is retail dollars. So the wholesale price is around 70% of that, so you're still talking about $600M already. By the time the game sales end, it'll probably cross $1B cost price.

Just assuming $1B for sake of a benchmark, For every 1% royalty she pockets herself, that's $10M per percentage point. Or perhaps she has a flat fee like $2 per copy. Who knows.

Love it. JK has to do a tweet on the moolah to rub it in SJW faces.

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
I'm dead at all the people in here saying "that will show the woke crowd!" because by all definitions the game itself is "woke". You have lesbians, transgender people, and people of colour all over the place.
i'm still very early in the game.But honestly that by itself doesn't really make the game woke. Maybe outside of the trans NPC, nobody really cares if there are black NPCs or gay NPCs, as long as they are not preachy about that, or try to constantly "educate" you about that.(Or that most of the characters in the game are that)

And again, very early in the game and all, but that doesn't feel that's the case.

ShadowNate

I'm glad the creators and developers for this will be getting paid handsomely, at least those who profit from the sales the game makes.

Not that one guy who tweeted that he worked on it but won't be buying it because he is an ally to his family of trans people. But he obviously is not getting anything from sales anyway.

drganon

Not surprising. Game is good and is set in a very popular fictional universe. People on Twitter and resetera thinking boycotts would work were out to lunch.

Jayjayhd34

From the article:

"according to numbers released Thursday by the video game company"

These are official numbers.
They shared on twitter so take it’s official congratulations are in order. Not mention this almost guarantees a sequel. Just need to finish some side quest myself and get lvl 34.

k_trout

Why would anyone be talking about Half Life in 2023?

I think it's safe to say if you see it then 99.9% likely they mean Hogwarts.

I hear you, I know I got to get with the times, but youre talking to someone who still double takes and wonders why everyone is still talking about Harry Potter 37 years after Troll came out.....ill get my coat

Last edited:
If it had flopped they'd be talking about it nonstop.

I wonder this too. If it was my IP I'd charge like 10% of revenue as a Royalty fee. So if this breaks 1 Billion that's a cool $100 Million my way. Even at 5% that's a nice $50 mil. I wonder if we have any stats on things like that? Probably depends on the IP.
Royalties are nowhere near 10%. Tops, she's making 2$ per copy. 2-3% are what the most popular IP holders make. You need to remember, she's did no work and took no risk. She's getting millions, on top of the flat fee she was paid for rights to the IP.

Top Bottom