• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Holiday BOMBA: Playstation AllStars Charts 38th Week 1 UK

Dantis

Sadly nope (really, really sad that a game like HS sells more). However they are far iconic (sales don't reflect iconic status). You'd be hard pressed to find people who don't know Terry or Iori.

Lol. Terry is iconic. I don't know who Iori is, and I doubt anybody I know does.

In the end I hope it sells well enough to recoup costs, but low enough so they know a lot more work is required.

I'd love a well done sequel
Yeeaaaaah about that. If the sales continue to be abysmal I doubt that is whats on Sonys mind about this franchise :D.

Shahed

Yeeaaaaah about that. If the sales continue to be abysmal I doubt that is whats on Sonys mind about this franchise :D.

But hey that's why I said it would recoup costs :)

I'm hoping that they go with the mindset 'Oh we made some money on it, but we want to make more. In order to do so, we'll have to make the game a lot better to generate higher interest'

That's what I'm hoping anyway...

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
What do you want them to mod? The core gameplay element that the game is balanced around?

There's still some fixing needed to be done.

And I still feel that the super only for score is still flawed all around.

Lol. Terry is iconic. I don't know who Iori is, and I doubt anybody I know does.
I dunno, everyone's doing Kyo x Iori stuff back then.

But hey that's why I said it would recoup costs :)

I'm hoping that they go with the mindset 'Oh we made some money on it, but we want to make more. In order to do so, we'll have to make the game a lot better to generate higher interest'

That's what I'm hoping anyway...

Oh well never say never. We got Sports Champions 2 and I don't at least think the first one was a huge success outside of bundles...

SmithnCo

There's still some fixing needed to be done.

And I still feel that the super only for score is still flawed all around.

I don't understand why, it's a unique system for the game, and more fresh than the usual KO methods. Changing to to KO by damage would introduce a new can of worms where they'd have to assign damage ratings to each attack, which would be different for the AP balancing because it is based on the character's different supers.

I don't think the usual "no penalty" complaint applies because when you are getting beat and see an opponent get a super, that's still bad news. Difference is that you still have an opportunity to dodge.

Nevertheless, the gameplay system may have detered a few but the real problem was probably the marketing. I think they could still make something of it in an eventual rerelease or pack-in, perhaps. Hopefully they continue to tweak the online performance because some glitches tend to get in the way, it's my biggest problem with it currently.

Takuan

I played some on my Vita last night. Outside of drab menus/UI presentation, the game seems pretty well done. Bit of a shame it hasn't done better, especially given the cross-buy and Black Friday deals. It's understandable, though, given the roster.

Anyway, I went through training with Dante, which actually got me a little excited for DMC. Will probably run some campaign over the weekend to get used to combos and the gameplay systems.

Boss Doggie

I don't understand why, it's a unique system for the game, and more fresh than the usual KO methods. Changing to to KO by damage would introduce a new can of worms where they'd have to assign damage ratings to each attack, which would be different for the AP balancing because it is based on the character's different supers.

I don't think the usual "no penalty" complaint applies because when you are getting beat and see an opponent get a super, that's still bad news. Difference is that you still have an opportunity to dodge.

Nevertheless, the gameplay system may have detered a few but the real problem was probably the marketing. I think they could still make something of it in an eventual rerelease or pack-in, perhaps. Hopefully they continue to tweak the online performance because some glitches tend to get in the way, it's my biggest problem with it currently.

It's mostly due to restriction. Compare KO via vitality loss - nearly all attacks can deal a victory. KO via super is strictly limited to three moves, one of which is pretty much a bonus to you especially if you're like Radec.

And my modding comment was mostly for balancing purposes and fixing stuff. You know, like Radec. And maybe Kratos.

I played some on my Vita last night. Outside of drab menus/UI presentation, the game seems pretty well done. Bit of a shame it hasn't done better, especially given the cross-buy and Black Friday deals. It's understandable, though, given the roster.

Anyway, I went through training with Dante, which actually got me a little excited for DMC. Will probably run some campaign over the weekend to get used to combos and the gameplay systems.

I actually thought Dante here is kinda lazy since it's mostly copying some of his MvC3 moves.

It's mostly due to restriction. Compare KO via vitality loss - nearly all attacks can deal a victory. KO via super is strictly limited to three moves, one of which is pretty much a bonus to you especially if you're like Radec.

And my modding comment was mostly for balancing purposes and fixing stuff. You know, like Radec. And maybe Kratos.

I actually thought Dante here is kinda lazy since it's mostly copying some of his MvC3 moves.

Whats wrong with Radec?

SmithnCo

Radec is pretty easy to deal with if you get in close to him, but Kratos is pretty OP (at least in FFA and 2v2 on some stages). Superbot already nerfed Sackboy so hopefully they buff/nerf others as well.

Shahed

Radec is fine. Sure you might get a lot of spammers, but it's pretty easy to avoid if you know what you're doing. And once you get close you murder him.

I always target the Radec spammers :p

Radec is pretty easy to deal with if you get in close to him, but Kratos is pretty OP (at least in FFA and 2v2 on some stages). Superbot already nerfed Sackboy so hopefully they buff/nerf others as well.

Just stop that grab from getting you through floors and penalise him when you block his square. I'll block it and he just keeps right on attacking

SmithnCo

Just stop that grab from getting you through floors and penalise him when you block his square. I'll block it and he just keeps right on attacking

Right, he could use a longer startup or punishment if it doesn't connect. It comes out too fast.

Either that or a general AP decrease.

Boss Doggie

Radec is fine. Sure you might get a lot of spammers, but it's pretty easy to avoid if you know what you're doing. And once you get close you murder him.

I always target the Radec spammers :p

I guess it depends on the stage, spamming side 1, side 2 or down 1 :p

Couldn't you call his MvC3 moves lazy because they "copied" moves from the DMC games?

Yeah but DmC plays only slightly like DMC at least according to the test :p

KalBalboa

Banned
Anybody think having DmC, Bioshock Infinite, or God of War Ascension hitting prior to All Stars would have boosted interest a little bit, or was the idea to have fans hungry for those franchises buy into All Stars while they waited?

Huff

Banned
I'm not sure why this game would have a particularly high budget since it seems the only thing they put any resources and time into was the actual game play. The visuals, presentation, etc all look like crap

Takuan

Anybody think having DmC, Bioshock Infinite, or God of War Ascension hitting prior to All Stars would have boosted interest a little bit, or was the idea to have fans hungry for those franchises buy into All Stars while they waited?

Doubtful. Fans want mainline games, not some party/team-up off-shoot title outside of their respective genres.

I'm not sure why this game would have a particularly high budget since it seems the only thing they put any resources and time into was the actual game play. The visuals, presentation, etc all look like crap
I dunno if I'd go that far. The visuals during gameplay do the job, and I'm not sure how much further they could go given the way the game plays. The menus on the Vita version are extremely bland though, and it gives the game a bit of a cheap feel despite the gameplay being excellent, presentation-wise.

ohlawd

Your right Sony has a 'shit' ton of characters. Face it, no gives a crap about Sonys characters except internet forum nerds.

Parappa, seriously who gave a crap about this character in the 90s?
Fat Princess? That game was a laggy stalemate mess.
Heavenly Sword girl? Out of 70 million PS3s who even bought this?
2 Coles to fill out the roster? Amazing...
Toro? Wtf is this?
Starhawk dude? Whats next, the bloke from SOCOM 4?

Square Enix, SNK, Konami, Capcom and Sega can pull off a better individual rosters without assistance and they are a 3rd party.

Starhawk dude slayed me hahahahaha.

Emphasis on shit seriously. You be dropping them truth bombs here.

Agent X

No, I don't think it would've changed the outcome that much. People who are interested in DmC, Bioshock Infinite, or God of War: Ascension are focused on those particular games.

As Takuan said, the graphics during gameplay are fine, but the menus are unbelievably basic and generic. That was the first thing that jumped out of me during the beta tests that they ran.

Poyunch

Nintendo did it with "Pokemon Trainer," but I guess the character is better known to be honest

Pokemon Trainer was an excuse to represent Gen I starters in one character slot. And come on, Charizard especially, are signature Pokemon especially to nostalgiacs.

Your right Sony has a 'shit' ton of characters. Face it, no gives a crap about Sonys characters except internet forum nerds.

Toro? Wtf is this?

Square Enix, SNK, Konami, Capcom and Sega can pull off a better individual rosters without assistance and they are a 3rd party.

The ignorance is amazing

test_account

XP-39C²

Toro? Wtf is this?

That could be said about pretty much all of the companies you mention there though. They all have some iconic characters, but to make a full fighting game, it would be filled with characters that a lot of people have never heard of. For example, who outside of "internet nerds" cares and know about Terry Bogard (probably one of the most iconic SNK characters)?

I can understand a bit some of the character complaints you mention, but not Parappa and Toro. Parappa might not be THAT known in general indeed, but he is a part of the original Playstation stuff, so it is a perfect fit in my opinion. Toro is pretty known in Japan (the game is coming out there as well).

Starhawk dude slayed me hahahahaha.

Emphasis on shit seriously. You be dropping them truth bombs here.
Out of curiousity, who would you include instead?

Boss Doggie

Pokemon Trainer was an excuse to represent Gen I starters in one character slot. And come on, Charizard especially, are signature Pokemon especially to nostalgiacs.

And Pokemon Trainer himself is a blank slate character and is described more as a player character than Red himself despite using Red's design.

And yeah, 'zard fans are the most annoying bunch but caters easily to the nostalgia fans. Thankfully he's as useless in Brawl as he is in Pokemon ;P

I can understand a bit some of the character complaints you mention, but not Parappa and Toro. Parappa might not be THAT known in general indeed, but he is a part of the original Playstation stuff, so it is a perfect fit in my opinion. Toro is pretty known in Japan (the game is coming out there as well).

Which sucks because Japan barely has presence here save for a few cast.

DiscoJer

Maybe what Sony needs to do is come up with a Sonyverse.

Rather than each IP more or less be in its own world, have a few shared worlds. One for realistic games, one for cartoon games, one for fantasy.

Like Drake would be in the same universe as Gabe Logan (who despite having what, 6 games, didn't make the cut?). Kratos would be in the same world as Noriko and in the future, that Cole dude. Parappa would be with Sly and Jak & Daxter

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Maybe what Sony needs to do is come up with a Sonyverse.

Rather than each IP more or less be in its own world, have a few shared worlds. One for realistic games, one for cartoon games, one for fantasy.

Like Drake would be in the same universe as Gabe Logan (who despite having what, 6 games, didn't make the cut?). Kratos would be in the same world as Noriko and in the future, that Cole dude. Parappa would be with Sly and Jak & Daxter

You can actually find Kratos' armour in Heavenly Sword as an easter egg, so I guess it could be argued they're both already part of the same 'universe' :p

test_account

XP-39C²
Which sucks because Japan barely has presence here save for a few cast.
Yeah, i dont think that the game will sell that well in Japan because of this, too many "unknown" characters there.

Ghosthunter guy!

Come to think of it, Sony owns the Ghostbusters IP. I want Peter Venkman and Egon Spengler as DLC.
Ghosthunter, the PS2 game by Namco?

Hehe, Ghostbusters characters would be cool :)

Spinluck

I still say they should've went all out on PS3, and say fuck making it cross play with Vita. The Vita would've been better off with its own version.

Skyzard

Banned
I still say they should've went all out on PS3, and say fuck making it cross play with Vita. The Vita would've been better off with its own version.

Why?

The Vita version is better than the PS3 version in that it is perfectly suited to the Vita and runs excellantly whereas the PS3 version is a bit underwhelming for a PS3 game.

I'm thankful there is cross-play as well, no issues connecting and it's very quick for me.

Top Bottom