• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Holiday BOMBA: Playstation AllStars Charts 38th Week 1 UK

Beth Cyra

Well, it is, because people get excited for it. The a thousand times going over it is because people wanted this to happen and it didn't.

It gets old, but maybe that's why there's a problem selling units. People look at a game that claims to be Sony's collection of well known IPs from 20 something+ years and you get a few one off games, a few games that haven't come out yet, and a bunch of random no names. They could have done better.

I know that's not the ONLY reason this game didn't sell, but if a lot of people keep saying the same thing over and over again, maybe there's some truth to it.

I don't disagree with it, but the simple fact is that these aren't Sony creations and they can only use what third parties allow. The fact is Square is very protective of Cloud and it's incredibly likely that no matter what Sony offered Square would have told them to take a hike.

JazzmanZ

Sucks but it was expected, this game was born to be a disaster.

Everything from the character selection, the leaks, the paul gale scandel and marketing sent this out to die.

leroidys

Even if it only tracked for 5 days of sales, SSB:Brawl still did more than ELEVEN TIMES as well in its FIRST day. It's still not a good figure by any stretch of the word.

Massively anticipated sequel on new hardware?

I mean, the PSASBR numbers are still abysmal, but I don't think anyone in their right mind was expecting it to outsell SSBM.

zroid

Banned
SuperBot is independent so I don't think they'd necessarily have to close doors because of PSAS bomba. Layoffs though maybe, if they aren't contracted for a new big project.

The problem is they basically just made a smash brothers clone except they were missing what made smash popular in the first place, the characters. That plus i don't think the game is really suited to the PS3 fan base and they sent it to die with 0 advertising.

I-hate-u

Lets see:
-No graphics prowess that Sony games are known for (Killzone, Uncharted)
-No huge amounts of content that Sony games are known for (Little Big Planet, GT)
-No real story that many Sony games are known for (GoW, Heavy Rain)
-Not many hype inducing characters of games appeared on Sony consoles (FF, MGS, SoTC, Ezio, Crash)
Combine all that with a horrible marketing campaign and a poor release date and you get this mess of a lost opportunity.

The only thing PABR going for it is good online and the gameplay which is a template of SSB that people will automatically ridicule. No offense to Superbot, the game imo would have been better had it been licensed to Capcom for a verses type of game.

Extremely disappointing.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Sucks but it was expected, this game was born to be a disaster.

Everything from the character selection, the leaks, the paul gale scandel and marketing sent this out to die.

Lack of marketing is its major downfall. I only see commercials on adult swim, and that isn't good for a first party Sony game

zroid

Banned
Aside from the marketing, I don't think the vapid presentation helped much. Despite my general dislike of the concept of Supers, they obviously spent their time and energy making it a competent brawler, and seem to have forgotten to put in all the crazy fanservicey shit that Smash is known for.

It's a game designed to appeal to a certain audience, and then largely fails to do so.

EDIT: I'll give you that some of the stage designs do this fairly well, but it's not good enough

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Sony needs to better market all of their first party titles. This isn't the only game to have suffered.

Starhawk and Twisted Metal didn't do great either with similar advertising. But if those numbers are true PSASBR is selling pretty significantly below even those two games.

Pranay

Sony needs to better market all of their first party titles. This isn't the only game to have suffered.

Lack of marketing is its major downfall. I only see commercials on adult swim, and that isn't good for a first party Sony game

They are not first party though

Starhawk and Twisted Metal didn't do great either with similar advertising. But if those numbers are true PSASBR is selling pretty significantly below even those two games.

All stars had better marketing then those two and did worse :\

kuroshiki

Not surprised at the sales, Sony don't really have a lot of first party stars suitable for this type of game. All the most famous properties from the PS2 era were 3rd party.

They should have made Rubber duck from the PS3 demo a playable character.

I respectably disagree. Sony does have shit ton of 1st party characters that are perfect for this type of game. It is superbot/sony that didn't even bother getting those characters. and yes I'm still sour on 2 cole and fat princess and big daddy. They SHOULD NOT BE THERE.

and lo and behold, when I wrote 'I'm expecting 300k lifetime sale and I'm being extremely generous', I was kinda hoping to be proven wrong, but yeah, I don't think this game will reach 200k world wide unless some earth shattering miracle happens.

It's a failure that a lot of us could foresee, however. It was a character game without characters. -_-

Let's be honest here.
It's ok game but would you pay full asking price for it ?

I'm waiting for it to come out in PSN+.

I did and don't regret one bit. That said lower price point could probably have been a wise move since other recent AAA games could actually be found at a lower price (Hitman for example.)

.....I don't think PSASBR has smaller budget than starhawk.
I'll take your word for it.

kuroshiki

Let's be honest here.
It's ok game but would you pay full asking price for it ?

I'm waiting for it to come out in PSN+.

Like I said before I wouldn't even play it even if Sony gives it away for free (and most likely it will be PSN+ free title in very near future). I have a lot of quality games that are waiting to be played. Got no time for game that doesn't interest me slightest.

What the fuck?

I'm actually curious about what Superbot will do, though. Their game bombed. hard. I mean really, really bombed.

I did and don't regret one bit. That said lower price point could probably have been a wise move since other recent AAA games could actually be found at a lower price (Hitman for example.)

I'll take your word for it.

Don't take my word for it. Lightbox and superbot both have 30~ish employees.

El-Suave

For me this whole sub genre doesn't belong in a retail box in the first place. I don't even like Smash Brothers so I don't know how much more content that game has, but obviously enough people are willing to pay a premium for the beloved Nintendo characters.

Sony and especially SCEA have made grave errors in misjudging their core audience. Ending your E3 press conferences with sales bombs like MAG or Twisted Metal didn't exactly inspire confidence in the publisher in the past, but each year they've still had enough games to satisfy their fans. This year is horrible - Starhawk, Twisted Metal and now All Stars all bombed - at the same time the Ratchet franchise has fallen from grace as well.

Not surprised at the sales, Sony don't really have a lot of first party stars suitable for this type of game. All the most famous properties from the PS2 era were 3rd party.

They should have made Rubber duck from the PS3 demo a playable character.

Yeah, because it bombed for Sony's lack of 1st party characters for this type of game. No.

Card Boy

Banned
I respectably disagree. Sony does have shit ton of 1st party characters that are perfect for this type of game.

Your right Sony has a 'shit' ton of characters. Face it, no gives a crap about Sonys characters except internet forum nerds.

Parappa, seriously who gave a crap about this character in the 90s?
Fat Princess? That game was a laggy stalemate mess.
Heavenly Sword girl? Out of 70 million PS3s who even bought this?
2 Coles to fill out the roster? Amazing...
Toro? Wtf is this?
Starhawk dude? Whats next, the bloke from SOCOM 4?

Square Enix, SNK, Konami, Capcom and Sega can pull off a better individual rosters without assistance and they are a 3rd party.

ymmv

Banned
Here's another UK holiday bomba: Wonderbook: Book Of Spells now at £17.99

Sony isn't having much success with these casual games for holiday shoppers it seems.

ascii42

Your right Sony has a 'shit' ton of characters. Face it, no gives a crap about Sonys characters except internet forum nerds.

Toro? Wtf is this?

Square Enix, SNK, Konami, Capcom and Sega can pull off a better individual rosters without assistance and they are a 3rd party.

Has SNK ever made a game that's sold as well as Heavenly Sword?

-PXG-

Well, what do you expect from a Smash Bros. clone that screams cheap production, has poor,non-existent marketing and a roster of characters that aren't household names?

Haunted

Toro? Wtf is this?

I like Toro...

Enjay

Banned
This news makes me happy. Note to SuperBot: either make a hardcore fighter for the fgc or a fun party brawler, you can't make both at the same time.

Toro? Wtf is this?

That's fucking harsh, dude. And Parappa is well known. It is the most known character from all that you've listed.

I was never really a supporter of this game, but I actually expected it to do wonderfully. I think Sony shot themselves on the foot (lol), by catering more to the dudebro fanbase this generation, now every game from them that doesn't have realistic graphics is bombing left and right, PSN games excluding.

Gadirok

No marketing, No sales.

Its not rocket science, yet this mistake is made endlessly by such big companies, its a joke.

I am seeing ads for this, but its terribly executed when its a cut up version of the All-stars cinematic trailer and nobody can understand what they are trying to sell you.

Anyways, I've had my fun with this game and it was a solid 8/10, and everyone admits that it needed much more work.

With this kind of mess almost 4 times in a row this year I am losing confidence with SCEA quickly.

I was glad I waited to buy Twisted Metal when the demo never connected online once for me and matchmaking didn't work. I held off my preorder and let others reviews decide it for me and its matchmaking was a disaster at launch.

Starhawk though, as I participated and loved during the closed beta (didn't like the changes going into the open beta), I didn't preorder but bought on launch day. Technically the first game I paid full price for since Guild wars: Nightfall, and wow was the launch botched completely, tons of glitches errors on every end, base raids threw off most of the new guys. Clusters and bruiser. It was hideous until July when the game was fun and bearable again. But by then it was too late, and the game didn't become a hit. I gotta give props to Lightboxinteractive for taking the time to put in new maps, modes and updates with patches especially at the end of October but most of the promotions for this game looks like it was done by them. Even the "Bob the rifter" videos came after a few months of the game's launch and they looked like they were totally committed. Especially when the singleplayer campaign went up for free on PS+ and the MP was $20. They lost the warhawk elitists fanbases, and the new guys were too few and far. By the end of October with all the patches, I think its an amazing game that should have been like this at launch, might have scored a few 10s if they had taken out the short singleplayer campaign and left it as MP only.

Littlebigplanet karting was sent to die from the beginning. I didn't even purchase it or play it though was sent an invitation for the beta. As much as me and my brother (mostly him) enjoy littlebigplanet neither of us were interested in the game (except that he wanted some beta vest or something, it didn't work out since we realized that by the time the beta ended).

And now All-stars. Since August there was absolutely no word what was going on after the announement of the last 4 characters. That threw me off completely, but I managed to trade in a few games at gamestop (MoH:WF) and preordered All-stars for $35 anyways since I had cash to spare and the beta was enjoyable.

Its like they killed off any hype to the mainstream by not talking about it for 2-3 months and delaying the launch date (and I'm not even sure what it would have looked like if it had launched in October, because to me there is not enough content, the UI is extremely basic and rushed, and almost everything (arcade, load screens, character select, profile, options, EVERYTHING) feels like a hack job. The gameplay is fun, and the maps it has, but with the exception of the gameplay, the maps and everything becomes stale fast so it just turns into an endless waltz of 2vs2 or FFA online, with no point in doing anything else.

That being said each of these games are a solid 8/10 for me (except LBP:Karting since I didn't play it) and are fun. Starhawk probably emerges as the best for its multiplayer component and the great times and frustrating times in that. All-stars is amazing on the vita, and as a vita title it works well.

But all of these titles launches were botched, weird promotions and no hype to build up for (with the exception of twisted metal and shoot my truck). Sony could have still sold these games extremely well if they had taken care of them but nope, they continued what they did in 2011 with Resistance 3, Ratchet and Clank: All for one, Killzone 3, Socom 4, Motorstorm Apocalypse etc.

2011 had a few good hitters I think? Infamous 2, Littlebigplanet 2, Uncharted 3 for sure, and I bought a PS3 that year because it looked like it was going to be an amazing year for the PS3 with all those games to look forward to and showing off footage of Twisted Metal and Starhawk for the following year. There was so much to look forward to, but then the 2011 outage happened, and a lot of the marketing for these games were dead. I saw more move promotions than promotion for these games (exception of uncharted 3).

With the exception of Socom 4, all of these exclusives were fun and great to play that I wouldn't mind having in my library (Most that I already do have, and enjoyed).

SCEA doesn't know how to build up hype for a game even if their lives depended on it. God of war and Uncharted are just miracles that happened on their own.

I don't know whats been going on with Japan studios for the past few years, they seem to be sleeping or in a silent grace.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Has SNK ever made a game that's sold as well as Heavenly Sword?

Sadly nope (really, really sad that a game like HS sells more). However they are far iconic (sales don't reflect iconic status). You'd be hard pressed to find people who don't know Terry or Iori.

Parappa the Rapper 2 came out 10 years ago, to mediocre reviews.

Actually wasn't a port released in PSP?

ascii42

Sadly nope (really, really sad that a game like HS sells more). However they are far iconic (sales don't reflect iconic status). You'd be hard pressed to find people who don't know Terry or Iori.

I'd say I know about two other people who know who those are. One of them is the guy who sold me my MVS.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Needlessly negative but I think the game should have been cancelled the moment Evil Cole was put forward as a character. Sony simply hasn't nurtured their first party franchises enough this generation for anyone to care about the cast.

We're getting the first Sly game of the console generation as it finally starts to croak. Kids who are 8 now have no idea who he is.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I... have no idea who those 2 are :D.

And so do people who don't know Toro. But you know what? At least SNK characters have been known in arcade and fighting game circles.

But really, what bothers me again is why people like to bring up sob stories when talking/defending PSABR. I see it in this board - why are you bringing up that you don't like Smash/gave up on Nintendo since SNES/I don't know SNK characters?

Shahed

In the end I hope it sells well enough to recoup costs, but low enough so they know a lot more work is required.

I'd love a well done sequel

I think you guys are missing the point - It's not that the game has some obscure characters, it's that it has next to no popular characters. The most recognizable character on the roster is Kratos. Is that Seriously's Sony's most popular character over the past 20 years?

Actually wasn't a port released in PSP?

A 10 year anniversary port of the original game, yes.

Top Bottom