• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hollow Knight |OT| Cute Insects That Just Want to Burrow Into Your Heart

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Both answers are around the city, it's on the main story path if you haven't gotten there yet.
Yep, found Nailsmith and shopkeeper. Can't believe that i've slain the boss without upgrading my nail even once (^__^)

The dream version of the boss in this area is much harder, i'll come back to deal with him later.

PaulloDEC

It's the worst spot in the whole challenge. You gotta concentrate on the floor ornaments for this one, this is how I made it. Plus like
40 lives or so. Managed it only with Grubsong+Deep Focus. That gives a LOT of health in there.If you have Hiveblood on top you are actually immortal with little downtime.

Ah, thanks for the tips. I tried a few different charm layouts (always with
Grubsong
and usually with
Hiveblood
) but wasn't having much success. I'll probably give it another go sometime over the next few days. I really want to make some progress with Horizon, but this game keeps pulling me back in...

FoxSpirit

Ah, thanks for the tips. I tried a few different charm layouts (always with
Grubsong
and usually with
Hiveblood
) but wasn't having much success. I'll probably give it another go sometime over the next few days. I really want to make some progress with Horizon, but this game keeps pulling me back in...
If you have 6 soulcharges, you have about
60 or so lives with grubsong+deepfocus in WP. Plus don't forget, whenever you meet loyal retainers, you can dreamnail them for a complete recharge of your health. With Hiveblood on top, worst would be like 5 slow minutes until you have 6 soulcharges again, then 60 instant tries again. Completely doable.

PaulloDEC

So I just had a thought: how amazing would it be to have physical pins of the in-game charms as a kind of collector's item? I was looking at my charms screen in the game and I could suddenly picture them all in the real world, set out in a nice plush case, just as they were on the screen. I'd have a hard time not buying that.

If you have 6 soulcharges, you have about
60 or so lives with grubsong+deepfocus in WP. Plus don't forget, whenever you meet loyal retainers, you can dreamnail them for a complete recharge of your health. With Hiveblood on top, worst would be like 5 slow minutes until you have 6 soulcharges again, then 60 instant tries again. Completely doable.

Oh wow, had no idea you could
hit those dudes with the dreamnail for a health recharge
. Awesome tips, cheers again!

Jharp

Is the Hunter's Journal required for 100%? If so, eff that. If not, then I'll go back in for the Mister Mushrooms and Trial of the Fools.

Dyna

Getting really annoyed because of this Colosseum bullshit, I want to complete those trials but I can't even finish the first one because after I've received the reward and try to walk out of the arena the goddamn door is locked and I fall into some limbo that I can't get out of! Here's a picture so it's easier to understand:

OeXnNWP.png

I can see just a tiny bit of my character behind the bars and if I try to go back to the arena I just clip through the screen and though I can hear the character moving I can't see him and I can't get out. This blows because I'm now at 75% completion rate and I really want to go for the 100% but I can't progress because of this bug. Are the developers aware of this problem?

jimboton

Getting really annoyed because of this Colosseum bullshit, I want to complete those trials but I can't even finish the first one because after I've received the reward and try to walk out of the arena the goddamn door is locked and I fall into some limbo that I can't get out of! Here's a picture so it's easier to understand:

OeXnNWP.png

I can see just a tiny bit of my character behind the bars and if I try to go back to the arena I just clip through the screen and though I can hear the character moving I can't see him and I can't get out. This blows because I'm now at 75% completion rate and I really want to go for the 100% but I can't progress because of this bug. Are the developers aware of this problem?

I think once you've recieved the reward, got the achievement, unlocked the next trial etc you can just quit to menu reload your save and you'll appear at the last bench you rested, trial will remain cleared.

Arkkoran

Unconfirmed Member

OeXnNWP.png

This was happening to me. Hitting start and quitting saved all my progress though

At least two benches needed in each big area imho - one almost at the beginning of the area and another one almost at the end and before the new one. This is only needed to eliminate a lot of backtracking, which sure can help you get more currency to buy stuff and all that but... I honestly do not want to spent 10 min just to get where I died. Furthermore, some areas can be difficult and you may end up backtracking more than just one time, so +10 / 20 min.

Every Metroid game starting from Super Metroid has many save points and so what, they made the games worse? Sure as hell not. Moreover, there's still a lot of backtracking in these games even despite multiple save points.
I didn't like the abundance in some Metroid games either and I disagree entirely that they're "needed" due to reasons I already listed. Only sporadically has backtracking come close to 10 minutes (much less doubling it) in Hollow Knight for me, so I guess that's the point of contention.

Dyna

I think once you've recieved the reward, got the achievement, unlocked the next trial etc you can just quit to menu reload your save and you'll appear at the last bench you rested, trial will remain cleared.
This was happening to me. Hitting start and quitting saved all my progress though

That didn't work for me before but now that I reloaded my save it appears to have worked. Strange bug but I'm just glad I can complete these trials now!

Dr.Acula

Banned
Oh man, I got really far without getting any upgrades at the nail smith, lol. Some of those fights went on forever, I got the first two upgrades, this is so much better now, lol.

Finally bought this yesterday after seeing reports that performance was improved, and I'm absolutely hooked. Atmosphere, music, art style, level design, platforming, combat... everything is so on point.

Also, that moment when (mid-game spoilers)
you unlock the shortcut from Crystal Peak to Dirtmouth
feels like such a Dark Souls moment that it's ridiculous. Just a fantastic game.

Dyna

If I go ahead and fight the boss in the B
lack
E
gg
T
emple
can I continue exploring the map and searching for collectibles or is it a point of no return? At least I'm assuming it's the final boss(?).

By the way, is that Midwife NPC good for anything or she just there to creep you out?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
lack
E
gg
T
emple
can I continue exploring the map and searching for collectibles or is it a point of no return? At least I'm assuming it's the final boss(?).

It drops you back to before the boss fight when you reload the save. You can go aheda and do it tbh since its a different ending anyway.

ViviOggi

lack
E
gg
T
emple
There is no point of no return

Jharp

Man, that Radiance fight. It doesn't seem insurmountable, but between nearly every attack doing two damage, and having to fight Hollow Knight to get to him every time, I think I'm good. Hollow Knight wasn't too hard, but he's annoying enough that I don't want to fight him every time just to get to Radiance, and I already got the Sealed Siblings ending, and put 32 hours into the game. I think I'm good. I'll watch the other ending on youtube. Would be real nice if, after beating Hollow Knight and using the Dreamnail, I could just jump straight into the Radiance fight.

FoxSpirit

Man, that Radiance fight. It doesn't seem insurmountable, but between nearly every attack doing two damage, and having to fight Hollow Knight to get to him every time, I think I'm good. Hollow Knight wasn't too hard, but he's annoying enough that I don't want to fight him every time just to get to Radiance, and I already got the Sealed Siblings ending, and put 32 hours into the game. I think I'm good. I'll watch the other ending on youtube. Would be real nice if, after beating Hollow Knight and using the Dreamnail, I could just jump straight into the Radiance fight.
If you use
Joni's Blessing and lifebloodcore
, you can simply rush him down. You get full health back for fighting Radiance.
At that point Hollow Knight is hardly a boss anymore, think of him as a minute long walk back. I beat radiance with Joni+core+stalwart shell+thorns of agony anf a fully upgraded Nail.

gelf

Well I've beaten the game but I think 100% is beyond me. I just cant handle
White Palace
. Even with basically infinite health it just gets to point where I feel my minds going to shut down focusing on getting through all the traps. I'll probably try again tomorrow, I need to de-stress now.

My biggest complaint with the game is that there doesn't appear to be a no-HUD mode. I guess the late-game backtracking for some of the final items is a little bit of a nuisance as well, but not being able to take HUDless screenshots of great moments like
your final meeting with Quirrel by Blue Lake
is disappointing.

Dyna

Nice, gonna give that a try later today.

I went ahead and beat the final boss, 82% completion rate and 31 hours in-game time. What a game! I know I missed a ton of stuff though so I'm not stopping here, I think I didn't even encounter all optional boss fights. Has anyone figured out if there's a way to stop M
yla
from getting infected? It would seem there's something you could do there?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
follow the moaning. his body is above where you killed him.

Youre a dick Nabs

You just mauled those crying ghosts imediatly without hesitation :(

Jharp

If you use
Joni's Blessing and lifebloodcore
, you can simply rush him down. You get full health back for fighting Radiance.
At that point Hollow Knight is hardly a boss anymore, think of him as a minute long walk back. I beat radiance with Joni+core+stalwart shell+thorns of agony anf a fully upgraded Nail.

That helped a bit, especially with pounding out Hollow Knight as quick as possible. Makes him a lot easier to rush down and get to the Radiance fight. I was able to get to the second phase of the fight where he destroys the platform you're on and breaks it into smaller ones in the air, but couldn't get past that part. How long is that fight? Is that the final phase?

Also, do I need to beat Radiance to get 100% in the same run? I'm sitting at 95%, and wanted to get the Radiance ending, then go back and do Trial of the Fools and find the Mister Mushrooms (I think that's all I need for the hundo percento), then just fart on HK real quick to get it. Don't want to have to do Radiance again, so if that's the case, I'll go finish up my remaining few quests before I fight him. Not looking forward to the Trial of the Fools though. How much harder than Conquerers is it? I thought that one was tough at first, but after getting Hiveblood and a few nail upgrades, I knocked it out no problem.

Arkkoran

Unconfirmed Member
That helped a bit, especially with pounding out Hollow Knight as quick as possible. Makes him a lot easier to rush down and get to the Radiance fight. I was able to get to the second phase of the fight where he destroys the platform you're on and breaks it into smaller ones in the air, but couldn't get past that part. How long is that fight? Is that the final phase?

I did the second phase in about a minute, I think I got lucky with his placement and attacks though. There technically is one more phase. But its very short and easy.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I didn't like the abundance in some Metroid games either and I disagree entirely that they're "needed" due to reasons I already listed. Only sporadically has backtracking come close to 10 minutes (much less doubling it) in Hollow Knight for me, so I guess that's the point of contention.
I've now played more of the game (20 hours) and I sort of agree with you now. But I mean, look at Fungal Wastes, there's like only one bench there in the entire area which is not small by any means. And yes, I wish there was more Stag Stations in some areas cuz here's when you waste 10 min at least to get to goddamn Stag Station.

I can now safely say that Hollow Knight is the absolute best modern metroidvania I ever played (sorry Ori). The game has a shit ton of new and cool stuff which is new to this genre and adds A LOT to it, even if it borrows some elements from one well known and respected series and imho, it's a HUGE plus! Also, the world in this game is absolutely massive, extremely well done and interesting to explore. Worldbuilding and lore is also excellent along with many characters you'll encounter during your journey.

I mean, I can't say enough how much I love and adore this game.

gelf

Well I've beaten the game but I think 100% is beyond me. I just cant handle
White Palace
. Even with basically infinite health it just gets to point where I feel my minds going to shut down focusing on getting through all the traps. I'll probably try again tomorrow, I need to de-stress now.

Turns out a break was what I needed, many many hits later I finally cleared that section. I honestly don't know how I managed some of it.

I can now safely say that Hollow Knight is the absolute best modern metroidvania I ever played (sorry Ori). The game has a shit ton of new and cool stuff which is new to this genre and adds A LOT to it, even if it borrows some elements from one well known and respected series and imho, it's a HUGE plus! Also, the world in this game is absolutely massive, extremely well done and interesting to explore. Worldbuilding and lore is also excellent along with many characters you'll encounter during your journey.

I mean, I can't say enough how much I love and adore this game.

Agreed completely. I haven't played Ori yet, and it's been so long since I've played Super Metroid, but as of right now this might be my favorite game in the genre. Just to add to everything you mentioned, one of the things that impresses me the most are the controls. Everything is so fluid and responsive. Once you get upgrades like
Mantis Claw for wall jumping, Mothwing Cloak for dashing, and Monarch Wing for double jump
, backtracking even becomes tolerable and borderline enjoyable since you can just use finesse and zip past enemies and hazards with relative ease. A location like
White Palace
could've been so much worse if your character was either too floaty or too loose, but instead I found it to be one of the best and most satisfying spots in the game.

I've seen comparisons to Super Meat Boy get thrown around, and I can definitely see where those are coming from. This game controls like a dream.

Jharp

I do think this game generally falls into the same backtracking traps that many metroidvanias suffer from and could have really used a simple fast travel option better than the stag tunnels. Not crazy about the map system and having to use a charm slot to know my position on the map, either. But those are minor gripes in an otherwise excellent game.

Kalnos

Banned
I don't think the backtracking is too bad, the charm slot for the compass is annoying as shit though... there should at least be a permanent upgrade later on.

Hupsel

Game is amazing. Love the sense of exploration. Really reminds me of a 2D Dark Souls. Game also has an amazing style/charm and the voice acting is iconic haha. 10/10 so far, I am already 13 hours in.

VandalD

Finished a steel soul run and put it up on Youtube. Managed to get both speed run achievements in the process. Need to return to that save sometime and try getting 100% again. A lot of hard fights left to do without dying.

Hollow Knight has been pretty great, and I hope more people find it.

Imma be honest that the backtracking never really bugged me because as you get further and further in the game, the methods of traversal you unlock make backtracking or going over areas again much faster.

I mean, I just finished the
Delicate Flower
subquest first try (using a combination of Spell Strengthening/Soul Cost/Soul Collection charms and just fireballing everything from a safe distance) and getting from
Resting Grounds
to
Queen's Garden
which are at opposite ends of the map took me...10 minutes? Maybe? And that was being careful as fuck and slow in my approach.

Meanwhile, I'm never gonna 100% this game cause fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck the last
Colosseum
fight. Tried it twice and was like "Nope"

Anno

"Oh cool, beat
Soul Master
my first try. Only have one health left. Close! And a new ability? Neat!"

:(

"Oh cool, beat
Soul Master

I've literally been watching twitch streams of this fight solely for that moment. The number of streamers who like, set down their controller and started talking to chat and then got really confused was hilarious.

that was a very nice finish, not even touching the ground in the last segment. very well done.

Thanks!

"Oh cool, beat
Soul Master

Speaking of that fight, I just beat the remixed version of him.

Here's my S
oul
T
yrant
fight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QZA_MhK3NQ

Warning you guys, this is not pretty nor skillful in the least. Also 7.5 minutes feels really long for a metroidvania boss. Am I just underpowered?

VandalD

Speaking of that fight, I just beat the remixed version of him.

Here's my S
oul
T
yrant
fight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QZA_MhK3NQ

Warning you guys, this is not pretty or skillful in the least. Also 7.5 minutes feels really long for a metroidvania boss. Am I just underpowered?
He's hard to get hits on, especially if you're not using any range charms. So yeah, I could see the fight lasting that long. How upgraded is your nail?

Meanwhile, I'm never gonna 100% this game cause fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck the last
Colosseum
fight. Tried it twice and was like "Nope"

FWIW, I believe I used a charm load-out of
Soul Catcher, Quick Focus, and Hiveblood
to finally finish off the last trial. The third charm in particular was helpful because
if I took damage, I could just safely wall jump and dash around the room avoiding enemies until I regained that bit of health. Particularly useful against enemies who don't give you much time to heal on the ground but also can't hit you up in the air
. Also, I assume you have double jump? I failed countless times before finding it, but once I did, I beat it on my second attempt. Crucial for those parts where you have spike floors and flying enemies.

Sarcasm

Really love the game, but I am spending too much time trying to figure out where to go >.<. I just got that boulder charm though!

Top Bottom