• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hollow Knight |OT| Cute Insects That Just Want to Burrow Into Your Heart

So the first upgrade is just money. The 2nd upgrade is 1 Pale Ore. That's the one I'm on.
Wouldn't say you're underpowered. It just felt like a slow brawl since you spent most of your Soul on healing yourself, rather than hitting the boss with your ranged spell. Outside of that, you can also hit him 3 to 5 times - depending on how early you can start attacking that is - when he does that one pattern with
6 projectiles rotating around him
and thanks to dash cancelling you can squeeze more hits in where appropriate, like pogo jumping
his slow tackle
. There's openings to continuously keep wailing on him, but you have to be quick about it.

Really love the game, but I am spending too much time trying to figure out where to go >.<. I just got that boulder charm though!
If you want a universal hint:
the elderly NPC in the hub village usually nudges you in the right direction, location-wise

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Agreed completely. I haven't played Ori yet, and it's been so long since I've played Super Metroid, but as of right now this might be my favorite game in the genre.
Here's the thing about Ori, it's simply amazing in terms of art and visuals, but.... it's way less ambitious and much less deep in terms of its lore, mechanics and gameplay. Ori is more like a "disney fairy tale" metroidvania with occasional challenging moments here and there. It's not bad at all, it's just... well just like I've sayd, much less ambitious, with simplier story and functional combat which won't blow you away and I completely understand why they chosen this rout.

In short, Ori for me personally is more like an absolutely amazing in terms of art, visuals and animations SMDs Lion King or Jungle Book with lite metroidvania elements thrown into mix.

Just to add to everything you mentioned, one of the things that impresses me the most are the controls. Everything is so fluid and responsive.
Um, about that. Not everything.

I'm sure you know by now already that there's this
Dream Nail
in the game, okay so, when you first get it it charging veeery slow but later in the game you'll be able to charge and activate it much faster which feels great. Now, there's also this mechanic in the game that let's you restore your health by pressing and holding B (it's not a spoiler people, you'll be able to do this in like the first 5 min of the game) and frankly, here's when it gets much less responsive, frustrating and even agrovating.

I mean, in the heat of a battle with the boses you need to act extremely fast but 50% of time you dying just becaus you can't activate this goddamn ability fast enough to restore your health and there's also like 1,5-2 sec downtime before you can do anything after activating it cuz animation is still playing. I can't say enough how frostrating and agrovating this whole thing actually is. It's like imagine if you can't cancel action animation in Souls games during critical life or death moments. You need to be as fast as you can when fighting boses, but when it comes to restoring you health you just can't be fast and you can't cancel animations, the game just won't let you do that. This can be easely fixed by just making this ability much more responsive and act as fast as
Dream Nail
later in the game, or by just letting us cancel animations and imho - both is the way to go.

Once you get upgrades like
Mantis Claw for wall jumping, Mothwing Cloak for dashing, and Monarch Wing for double jump
, backtracking even becomes tolerable and borderline enjoyable since you can just use finesse and zip past enemies and hazards with relative ease.
Yeah, these new abilities extremely helpful when it comes to exploring and navigating through environments later on. Combat is also getting a lot from them, cuz there's these huge bugs with shields in the game and some really nasty bugs in caverns which is much more satisfying to kill when you have
Mothwing Cloak and Monarch Wings
, cuz you don't stand still and waiting for opening and the right moment to attack like in the beginning of the game, no, later on you just full on smashing them to peaces and constantly attacking them with zero fear.

This is how you do character progressing people by not just throwing damage sponge enemies at players later on in the game to make them (players) feel less powerful (just for the sake of fake challenge), even though you just got a bunch of new abilities and upgraded you weapon a bunch of times. Sure, you need to provide a challenge to players and to make the game less boring and too easy in the process, but damage sponge enemies is not the way to go cuz it's boring, annoying, tedious as hell and not fun.

Randam

Speaking of that fight, I just beat the remixed version of him.

Here's my S
oul
T
yrant
fight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QZA_MhK3NQ

Warning you guys, this is not pretty nor skillful in the least. Also 7.5 minutes feels really long for a metroidvania boss. Am I just underpowered?

I'm stuck here right now.

I have every charm.
8 health masks, 10 charm slots, fully upgraded nail.
still can't beat him.
:lol

I just suck at getting not hit.

3 times I reached the last stage and I think I got a double KO twice.

edit: got him.. xD

Failed Champion next.

Jesus. I played for 12 hours without realizing. Where the hell did the time go?

I got the pc version because I'm weak willed, but I intended to not 100% the game until the ps4 version. But I can't stop playing, lol.

VandalD

I mean, In the heat of a battle with the boses you need to act extremely fast but 50% of time you dying just becaus you can't activate this goddamn ability fast enough to restore your health and there's also like 1,5-2 sec downtime before you can do anything after activating it cuz animation is still playing. I can't say enough how frostrating and agrovating this whole thing. You need to be as fast as you can when fighting with bosses, but when it comes to restoring you health you just can't be fast and the game just won't let you do that. This can be easely fixed by just making this ability much more responsive and act as fast as
Dream Nail
later in the game.
You're not meant to be able to just heal whenever you want. A lot of bosses leave room for you to do so after dodging attacks, but you have to be quick. Some bosses
go into a weakened state where they're stunned after you hit them enough, which also lets you heal. Though if you keep attacking them they'll just be knocked out of their stun.
Very few bosses don't give you room to heal at all. Can understand it feeling aggravating if you're not used to healing in games like Monster Hunter or Dark Souls, but you're supposed to find openings to do so.
Jesus. I played for 12 hours without realizing. Where the hell did the time go?

I got the pc version because I'm weak willed, but I intended to not 100% the game until the ps4 version. But I can't stop playing, lol.
It took over my weekend when it came out. It's just a great game.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
You're not meant to be able to just heal whenever you want. A lot of bosses leave room for you to do so after dodging attacks, but you have to be quick.
No-no-no-no-no. You don't understand. It's not like there's not much room to heal (
but yes, during some boss battles there's just no oppening to do so
), the problem is that you can't heal fast enough. Healing takes to much time to activate and to much time to stop healing animation and then let you move the character and perform actions.

Some bosses
go into a weakened state where they're stunned after you hit them enough, which also lets you heal. Though if you keep attacking them they'll just be knocked out of their stun.
That's not a problem at all
during weekened states
and I'm not saying that it is.

Can understand it feeling aggravating if you're not used to healing in games like Monster Hunter or Dark Souls, but you're supposed to find openings to do so.
I've played every Souls game and finished each of them 5-6 times at least (except Demon's Souls). In Souls games you can cancel animations and actions (including Estus animation), in Hollow Knight you can't.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
there specifically is a charm for faster healing

what does this even mean? First, you got the Pc version because youre "weak willed" as if, what, its somehow inferior to a version that...doesnt...exist?

and then you say you wont even play it to completion even tho you are having a blast for...reasons?

what does this even mean? First, you got the Pc version because youre "weak willed" as if, what, its somehow inferior to a version that...doesnt...exist?

and then you say you wont even play it to completion even tho you are having a blast for...reasons?

You interpreted that weirdly :/. Me being weak willed and getting the pc version when I meant to wait for the ps4 version (which the devs have confirmed on twitter) doesn't imply anything about the quality of the pc version. I prefer to game on console. Is there something wrong with that?

And me not wanting to 100% the game on pc doesn't mean I won't finish the game. It means I don't want to get all the collectibles and do every side quest because then I'll be burned out when I go for 100% on the ps4 version.

Chill out.

Sarcasm

Wouldn't say you're underpowered. It just felt like a slow brawl since you spent most of your Soul on healing yourself, rather than hitting the boss with your ranged spell. Outside of that, you can also hit him 3 to 5 times - depending on how early you can start attacking that is - when he does that one pattern with
6 projectiles rotating around him
and thanks to dash cancelling you can squeeze more hits in where appropriate, like pogo jumping
his slow tackle
. There's openings to continuously keep wailing on him, but you have to be quick about it.

If you want a universal hint:
the elderly NPC in the hub village usually nudges you in the right direction, location-wise

Didn't help lol >.<

VandalD

No-no-no-no-no. You don't understand. It's not like there's not much room to heal (
but yes, during some boss battles there's just no oppening to do so
), the problem is that you can't heal fast enough. Healing takes to much time to activate and to much time to stop healing animation and then let you move the character and perform actions.

That's not a problem at all
during weekened states
and I'm not saying that it is.

I've played every Souls game and finished each of them 5-6 times at least (except Demon's Souls). In Souls games you can cancel animations and actions (including Estus animation), in Hollow Knight you can't.
Well, I'll just say I disagree. The healing is fast enough, and the delay between it starting and it ending, while it can be argued isn't responsive, works fine in the game's design. At least in my opinion.

Didn't know you could cancel the Estus animation. Will have to look into that. You can cancel your healing in this game too. You just stop holding the button. If you don't stop holding it soon enough and it doesn't let you move, that's part of the risk you take for healing at a bad moment.

Isn't the
dream nail speed upgrade
also a charm?
Something like dream master's charm?

Yeah... if you're having problems with healing, you need to get better at timing it or just learn to not rely on it. Most bosses have patterns that are very easy to avoid once you get used to them (usually by dying a lot...). I thought the final (true ending) boss was impossible at first. Wound up eventually beating him without having to heal once.

A lot of people also make the mistake of seeing the boss take their stutter pose after enough damage and going "Oh man, he's taking a breath, time to attack him!" and then hitting them once before they go back to their regularly scheduled programming and not realizing that time isn't like Legend of Zelda where that's the opening to attack their weakpoint; that time is specifically for healing.

Along with Wayward Compass, it's the one charm I always keep equipped. Such a game changer once you find it.

A lot of people also make the mistake of seeing the boss take their stutter pose after enough damage and going "Oh man, he's taking a breath, time to attack him!" and then hitting them once before they go back to their regularly scheduled programming and not realizing that time isn't like Legend of Zelda where that's the opening to attack their weakpoint; that time is specifically for healing.

Heh, that was me for the first couple hours. The
False Knight
fight implanted this idea in my head that I would be able to get in a bunch of hits on every boss when they were stunned. You quickly realize that isn't the case at all.

Heh, that was me for the first couple hours. The
False Knight
fight implanted this idea in my head that I would be able to get in a bunch of hits on every boss when they were stunned. You quickly realize that isn't the case at all.

Yeah, to be fair, I was much the same. I learned real fast after the 4th or 5th time in other battles where I'd hit them and see them instantly go back to fighting what that time was for tho.

Um, about that. Not everything.

I'm sure you know by now already that there's this
Dream Nail
in the game, okay so, when you first get it it charging veeery slow but later in the game you'll be able to charge and activate it much faster which feels great. Now, there's also this mechanic in the game that let's you restore your health by pressing and holding B (it's not a spoiler people, you'll be able to do this in like the first 5 min of the game) and frankly, here's when it gets much less responsive, frustrating and even agrovating.

I mean, in the heat of a battle with the boses you need to act extremely fast but 50% of time you dying just becaus you can't activate this goddamn ability fast enough to restore your health and there's also like 1,5-2 sec downtime before you can do anything after activating it cuz animation is still playing. I can't say enough how frostrating and agrovating this whole thing actually is. It's like imagine if you can't cancel action animation in Souls games during critical life or death moments. You need to be as fast as you can when fighting boses, but when it comes to restoring you health you just can't be fast and you can't cancel animations, the game just won't let you do that. This can be easely fixed by just making this ability much more responsive and act as fast as
Dream Nail
later in the game, or by just letting us cancel animations and imho - both is the way to go.
Eh, those moves being intentionally delayed with the button inputs themselves being perfectly responsive is fine, although that's admittedly me fussing over semantics that are besides the point.

On a more relevant note however: in the grand scheme of it all, there isn't anything inherently wrong to those manoeuvres carrying deliberate weaknesses. Healing in itself being a big risk would've been an issue... if it weren't for bosses being designed with a lengthy incapacitated state players actively have to earn, as well as a sporadic pattern (or two) with a wide enough opening to make the choice between offense or defense a contextually valid one. The
Dream Nail
taking much longer to swing than standard nail strikes would make it redundant outside of its non-combative purpose... if it weren't for said blows providing you with significantly more Soul as a pay-off. Needing charms to speed up either process could easily be cumbersome... if it weren't for those usually either being inexpensive in terms of Geo or notches, functioning as a stop-gap for more efficient late-game equivalents or ultimately even being designed for charm overload synergy. Rather than being a negative when looked at in isolation, these limitations actually lend themselves well to create additional gameplay loops, nuances which add more to the underlying systems instead of detracting from them. It's basic positive reinforcement; these initial drawbacks for example reward understanding of enemy behaviour and accurate aggression, as well as encourage experimentation with a variety of builds. The latter of which in turn also further fuels potentially worthwhile exploration - one of several methods Hollow Knight employs - since you have to go out of your way to find more strategic avenues.

It just makes for a more interesting game when looking at the big picture and I feel the same way about the not-so-straightforward map system that others deemed flawed design. Both are gratifying to me, rather than aggravating.

Souls games would be a perfect example where later iterations almost completely took out the timing-related element of healing (something under-the-radar) and toning it down in such a manner there's little in the way of planned thought. An abundance of potions liberally being passed around made sense in Bloodborne given the generally faster pace, the lack of a shield, the lowered importance of armor, no automatic refills and Blood Vials comparatively not recovering as much as before partially due to the orange health mechanic... but then you look at Dark Souls II and III where FROM completely missed the mark. In the first Dark Souls, Flasks and Humanity by comparison required more careful consideration due to the dynamics (innate risks, resource scarcity or otherwise) involved, whereas with the sequels there's more legroom to simply facetank through attacks and coming out on top still thanks to a surplus of safety nets. Methodical components replaced (to varying degrees) by thoughtless and more prominent comfort luxuries. Not to say that the first Dark Souls is entirely devoid of this, but it's less likely. Especially from a 'first playthrough / newcomer' perspective.

It's reminiscent of how Dead Rising dealt with the so-called handicaps from 1 onwards, albeit (fortunately!) at not nearly as drastic of a scale. It's also up for debate whether some of those cancels were even intended from the get-go unlike let's say Nioh's cancels, but that's an entirely different can of worms.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Just started this game yesterday and I'm really liking it so far. I'm not a huge fan of how the map works. It seems needlessly unhelpful to the player.

Early on I found a boss or mini-boss
a big spider that jumps around and shoots lots of goo into the air
and I couldn't beat it but I'm ready to try again. Unfortunately I have no idea where it was. It has to be in the first or second area. Can anyone tell me where to find it?

Kalnos

Banned
and I couldn't beat it but I'm ready to try again. Unfortunately I have no idea where it was. It has to be in the first or second area. Can anyone tell me where to find it?

When you go down the well then go to the left and in the large vertical room it's the entrance in the bottom left IIRC.

Sounds like you're talking about
Brooding Mawlek, which is found in Forgotten Crossroads. Head to that tall vertical room with the platforms and go through the bottom-left path.

EDIT: What Kalnos said.

Stall19

Fuck the worm boss that sends flukefeys at you. I tried for about an hour and just gave up and decided to go back when I'm stronger. I really need to kill those flukefeys with one hit before tackling that thing again. Those things can swarm you very quickly.

Whales

Banned
so I just wanted to take a stroll to the bank until I realized
this little piece of shit banker is gone

kill me

I also have no clue where to go now.Ive been wandering around aimlessly for a while. Discovered
queens garden
but it feels like there was nothing of use there.

I got both the
super dash thing
and the
powerful drop
abilities

this is what happens when you take a break of this game, i havent played in a while and I feel like I forgot a lot of stuff

also anyone can hint me about what these rancid eggs do?

so I just wanted to take a stroll to the bank until I realized
this little piece of shit banker is gone

kill me

I also have no clue where to go now.Ive been wandering around aimlessly for a while. Discovered
queens garden
but it feels like there was nothing of use there.

I got both the
super dash thing
and the
powerful drop
abilities

this is what happens when you take a break of this game, i havent played in a while and I feel like I forgot a lot of stuff

also anyone can hint me about what these rancid eggs do?

open the simple key door in Dirthmouth, with rancid eggs the guy inside recovers your lost soul

Question about a certain move:
Cyclone Slash. The text says to hold X to charge it, then let go and press up or down. As far as I can see, the up/down do nothing and the move works as intended just by letting go of the charge. What am I missing here?

Nzyme32

fuck this flower quest and all involved in making it

I was doing so well up to the very last room, where I died 6 times before getting it right. Each time I got damaged, I tried to figure out what I was doing wrong. Had no problem doing it when I wasn't trying the quest, but kept fucking up when doing it

Kalnos

Banned
Question about a certain move:
Cyclone Slash. The text says to hold X to charge it, then let go and press up or down. As far as I can see, the up/down do nothing and the move works as intended just by letting go of the charge. What am I missing here?

There are other abilities that work similarly... e.g. hold x to charge then release pressing a certain direction. Guessing that until you have them the Cyclone Slash just overwrites them for any direction.

fuck this flower quest and all involved in making it

Honestly, the only difficult part is towards the end with those hopper bugs. Equip charms that boost your magic and soul collection rate and then just fire off fireballs into the room when you see them at the edge of your screen to take them out before they're remotely close.

If you route and go slow, fireballing from a distance and recovering Soul on easy repeatable enemies, you should be fine.

Edit: Wow, um...hum...I've been cleaning up and filling out my completion percentage and...hrm. I have every Mask Shard but one and when I was looking at a guide and map I went "...I've gotten all these" then went to all the locations to double check and...yeah...I got them all. Sly won't sell me anything more and I got the one from the DN person. I am...confused? Maybe I missed one from Sly somehow? This seems like a bug as I literally went back to every single location to check if I thought I got one and forgot and no, I got them all.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Didn't know you could cancel the Estus animation. Will have to look into that.
You can, at least in the first 1,5-2 sec after you press a button for sure, but then you'll lose one Estus Flask.

You can cancel your healing in this game too. You just stop holding the button. If you don't stop holding it soon enough and it doesn't let you move, that's part of the risk you take for healing at a bad moment.
Okay, I'll check this out later today.

Isn't the
dream nail speed upgrade
also a charm?
Something like dream master's charm?
Nope,
you'll be able to get the upgrade to activate it faster when you collect enough dream fragments and talk to an NPC in Resting Grounds

On a more relevant note however: in the grand scheme of it all, there isn't anything inherently wrong to those manoeuvres carrying deliberate weaknesses. Healing in itself being a big risk would've been an issue... if it weren't for bosses being designed with a lengthy incapacitated state players actively have to earn, as well as a sporadic pattern (or two) with a wide enough opening to make the choice between offense or defense a contextually valid one. The
Dream Nail
taking much longer to swing than standard nail strikes would make it redundant outside of its non-combative purpose... if it weren't for said blows providing you with significantly more Soul as a pay-off. Needing charms to speed up either process could easily be cumbersome... if it weren't for those usually either being inexpensive in terms of Geo or notches, functioning as a stop-gap for more efficient late-game equivalents or ultimately even being designed for charm overload synergy. Rather than being a negative when looked at in isolation, these limitations actually lend themselves well to create additional gameplay loops, nuances which add more to the underlying systems instead of detracting from them. It's basic positive reinforcement; these initial drawbacks for example reward understanding of enemy behaviour and accurate aggression, as well as encourage experimentation with a variety of builds. The latter of which in turn also further fuels potentially worthwhile exploration - one of several methods Hollow Knight employs - since you have to go out of your way to find more strategic avenues.

It just makes for a more interesting game when looking at the big picture and I feel the same way about the not-so-straightforward map system that others deemed flawed design. Both are gratifying to me, rather than aggravating.

Souls games would be a perfect example where later iterations almost completely took out the timing-related element of healing (something under-the-radar) and toning it down in such a manner there's little in the way of planned thought. An abundance of potions liberally being passed around made sense in Bloodborne given the generally faster pace, the lack of a shield, the lowered importance of armor, no automatic refills and Blood Vials comparatively not recovering as much as before partially due to the orange health mechanic... but then you look at Dark Souls II and III where FROM completely missed the mark. In the first Dark Souls, Flasks and Humanity by comparison required more careful consideration due to the dynamics (innate risks, resource scarcity or otherwise) involved, whereas with the sequels there's more legroom to simply facetank through attacks and coming out on top still thanks to a surplus of safety nets. Methodical components replaced (to varying degrees) by thoughtless and more prominent comfort luxuries. Not to say that the first Dark Souls is entirely devoid of this, but it's less likely. Especially from a 'first playthrough / newcomer' perspective.

It's reminiscent of how Dead Rising dealt with the so-called handicaps from 1 onwards, albeit (fortunately!) at not nearly as drastic of a scale. It's also up for debate whether some of those cancels were even intended from the get-go unlike let's say Nioh's cancels, but that's an entirely different can of worms.
I agree with almost everything, but still, healing should work a little bit faster imho.

The first Dark Souls is sure a lot more challenging and much more rewarding in terms of almost everything and yes, in sequels you pretty much already know what to do and how to play and by making them faster in terms of combat, From made them way more forgiving that they need to be imho. It can be argued, that it is also a benefit, but I like how the fist game works a lot more cuz there's a lot more thinking and risks envolved in it, were as in sequels there's much less of it overall, but even then I still like them, especially the last one.

Okay, I've a few important questions for those who played the game for at least 20 hours or already finished it.

So, from what I understand Hollow Knight is pretty important in the game's lore and somehow connected to a plague which spread throughout the entire first major area of the game and then to Fungal Wastes. Now, this plague is also connected to a huge black egg in the first major area and it appears that the plague coming from it. There's also these 3 characters which are lieing on a pedistals and also connected to all this, and by obsorbing their soul energy in a dream state you unlocking this black egg in the first major area to get access to Hollow Knight (I think).

So, my questions as follows: should I hurry up to unlock this black egg and confront Hollow Knight? Cuz I'm starting to feel bad about this whole situation and think that I'm responsible for death of this character by not acting fast to stop the spreading of the plague. Please tell me I'm wrong guys and that this is actually supposed to happen in the game no matter what I do and no matter how fast I act. Also, what's this for? Looks like it's some sort of heart or egg ... or I don't know. I can't interact with it, destroy it etc. I can assume that it's from this thing clone of the main character got out and with whom I had to fight earlier in this area.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
the
black egg is where the last boss is
so no, you dont have to hurry

and get used to
everything being shit and depressing because everything is shit and depressing
, its like
Dark Souls
in more ways than one.

So, from what I understand Hollow Knight is pretty important in the game's lore and somehow connected to a plague which spread throughout the entire first major area of the game and then to Fungal Wastes. Now, this plague is also connected to a huge black egg in the first major area and it appears that the plague coming from it. There's also these 3 characters which are lieing on a pedistals and also connected to all this, and by obsorbing their soul energy in a dream state you unlocking this black egg in the first major area to get access to Hollow Knight. So, my question as follows... should I hurry up to unlock this black egg and confront Hollow Knight? Cuz I'm starting to feel bad about this whole situation and think that I'm responsible for death this character by not acting fast to stop the spreading of the plague. Please tell me I'm wrong guys and that this is actually supposed to happen in the game no matter what I do and no matter how fast I act. Also, what's this for? Looks like it's some sort of heart or egg ... or I don't know. I can't interact with it, destroy it etc. I can assume that it's from this thing clone of the main character got out and with whom I had to fight earlier in this area.

1. There is nothing you can do. Many things that happen, such as that area, or what happens to the first area are tied to progression of the main quest. So there are some places during the course of the story where shit is just gonna happen.

2. That thing does nothing at the moment, but is apparently
the egg Hornet came out of and will be related to her DLC story

Edit: Wow, um...hum...I've been cleaning up and filling out my completion percentage and...hrm. I have every Mask Shard but one and when I was looking at a guide and map I went "...I've gotten all these" then went to all the locations to double check and...yeah...I got them all. Sly won't sell me anything more and I got the one from the DN person. I am...confused? Maybe I missed one from Sly somehow? This seems like a bug as I literally went back to every single location to check if I thought I got one and forgot and no, I got them all.

Did you get the one after fighting
No Eyes in Stone Sanctuary? There's some additional space to the right after the fight that I completely missed the first time around
. That also ended up being the last shard that I was missing.

Did you get the one after fighting
No Eyes in Stone Sanctuary? There's some additional space to the right after the fight that I completely missed the first time around
. That also ended up being the last shard that I was missing.

I actually found it like 20 minutes later. I'm an idiot and was looking at the wrong room on the map.

MartyStu

Fuck the worm boss that sends flukefeys at you. I tried for about an hour and just gave up and decided to go back when I'm stronger. I really need to kill those flukefeys with one hit before tackling that thing again. Those things can swarm you very quickly.

You want to tackle that boss after your second weapon upgrade.

For the longest time I was using that spore charm that damaged enemies in an AOE whenever I healed. Pretty sure that killed those spawns en mass. And I heal a lot in boss battles with the quick focus charm.

These Mantis Lords, can't heal at all and gotta be perfect. Should I bother getting a stronger weapon, dream nail or whatever? Or just memorise when it's gonna throw low and high spinning boomerangs?

Nabs

These Mantis Lords, can't heal at all and gotta be perfect. Should I bother getting a stronger weapon, dream nail or whatever? Or just memorise when it's gonna throw low and high spinning boomerangs?

You should definitely upgrade your weapon if you haven't already.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member

I was able to heal (without the focus speed charm too) during that fight. You gotta pick your moment!

Spoilers for how I did it:
There is time to heal 1 mask during the chakram attacks (usually). When you are near a side (when only 1 mantis) or middle (for 2), after the chakram circle attack there is time to get off a heal if you start it immediately. When in the middle you can just stand there and the attack will go over your head, should be able to get 1 heal in. Same with the side chakrams. Jump over it and then heal quickly.

The Mantis Lords are tough but beatable. When you get it down you will feel amazing.

Anno

Healing 1 tick is easy on the low-to-high chakram and more in the double chakram during the second portion when they go high-to-low. Just stand squarely in the center of the room and you'll be fine.

Is it in the shop right up top, Dirtmouth?

The first weapon upgrade is in the next zone over. I think most people end up getting is before facing them, though, as I think they're entirely optional.

Something I really like about the story and lore of this game is that even though it has a very minimalist and Souls-style to story-telling where it is purposely secretive and obtuse, I feel like if you speak to NPCs and pay attention than the full story is actually easily understandable.

And I really like this world and story! It's really fascinating!

FoxSpirit

I FUCKING DID IT!!!!!
100% BABY!!!! 59 hours, mostly blind!!!!!

And fuck you,
Trial of Fools
. Good god, the 100% no death run with THIS?? Probably the most important pause+quit point before death in gaming history. Even if you are super gosu and manage 99% in 13 hours, this last % can cost you oh so dearly.

So yeah, now to finish up the
Hunters journal
and maybe a 2nd run for the final 2 non-speedrun, non-steelachievments and I am done until
Hornet DLC
comes out. &#128513;

~Cross~

you'll be able to get the upgrade to activate it faster when you collect enough dream fragments and talk to an NPC in Resting Grounds

You sure about this? Because Im at like 1250 frags and the speed boost so far is definetely attached to a charm named Dream Wielder.

Top Bottom