• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hollow Knight |OT| Cute Insects That Just Want to Burrow Into Your Heart

swarley64

Ending spoilers!

Anyone have any advice fighting
The Radiance? What charms did you find most useful. I do okay but when I start to heal its all down hill from there. There are a lot of patterns to keep ahead of!

Also have we had any news on the free second playable character DLC? Would love to know a release window.

I definitely found the honeycomb charm to be essential for this fight. I also used the fast heal charm and the Shape of Unn... and the Grubfriend charm. So basically all healing charms, lol

Exentryk

It's insane that this is made by a small indie team. For a budget of only ~$90,000.

Like if Ubisoft made a Ubiart metroidvania a la their games like Child of Light, I hope it would be as gorgeous as Hollow Knight is

Yeah, absolutely! I'm really looking forward to seeing what this studio does next.

Ending spoilers!

Anyone have any advice fighting
The Radiance? What charms did you find most useful. I do okay but when I start to heal its all down hill from there. There are a lot of patterns to keep ahead of!

Also have we had any news on the free second playable character DLC? Would love to know a release window.

I used
Fragile Strength, Shaman Stone, Spell Twister and Lifeblood Heart for the fight. Just spam Abyss Shriek, and he should go down pretty easily.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvLXRn0z5zo

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
Thank you folks, I was able to upgrade twice on the spot, ran right back over and beat him first try easily. Battle took 3 minutes tops.

Not sure how I found the exact path right over to that guy but it's funny I missed the most important part of that area, which is right by the start :p

Hubble

I bought this game based on the hype. I have about 3-4 hours in and still don't know what I should be doing. I know the idea behind Metroidvanias. Just keep going to new areas, I beat a few but I'm just not a fan of the game. I thought it would be better. I don't know where to go and going aimlessly. Any tips? I bought the compass and most of the items.

Exentryk

I bought this game based on the hype. I have about 3-4 hours in and still don't know what I should be doing. I know the idea behind Metroidvanias. Just keep going to new areas, I beat a few but I'm just not a fan of the game. I thought it would be better. I don't know where to go and going aimlessly. Any tips? I bought the compass and most of the items.

If you have the first two power-ups, you should have access to the bulk of the areas. You should be able to do
Greenpath and Fungal Wastes (+secret area within it).

If you feel lost and need some direction, talk to Elderbug at the top and he hints you towards where you need to go.

Violet_0

Banned

I bought it from the Steam sale and played it for a couple hours now (nearly done with the 3rd area). Make mental notes of the parts of the map you can't access yet. Beating the main boss of the area will give you a new ability that will let you progress. The main boss room is marked on the map. To get to the second area
go to the corridor overgrown with plants left to where you climbed down the well. It's the middle door on the left side in the big vertical room
. The third area took me much longer to find but I eventually discovered it after exploring the map

the lack of handholding is refreshing, honestly. Being able to put markers and notes on the map would be nice, though

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
Is there anywhere I can get like a non spoilery butt stomp locations map? I want to go back and get everything but I really don't feel like revisiting every single room in the game I have unlocked so far, but I also don't want to spoil new locations or other secrets.

Been playing this for about 8 hours, and a friend who 100%ed the game told me I took a very strange and unconventional route after a certain point.

So far, this is how it's gone:
After Mantis Lords I went into Deepnest. Died shortly after but acquired Wall Jump in the Mantis Village, so I kept exploring Deepnest until I found the tram pass. Used the tram pass in FC to go to Resting Grounds. and found the Dream Nail. After that, picked up Shine Spark in Crystal Peak. Bought the Lantern in Dirtmouth and went back to Deepnest. Killed the Dreamer in the Distant Village, then took the tram to Ancient Basin, where I dumped 1800 Geo (all I had left) into the creepy fountain. Currently at City of Tears.

I'm playing it blind and just kind of winging it so I didn't think it was out of the ordinary to progress this way. Anyone else follow this path?

Other than that, I have no upgrades, still using the Old Nail and have 450 Essence, Using the Dash and map location charms.

jonjonaug

Been playing this for about 8 hours, and a friend who 100%ed the game told me I took a very strange and unconventional route after a certain point.

After Mantis Lords I went into Deepnest. Died shortly after but acquired Wall Jump in the Mantis Village, so I kept exploring Deepnest until I found the tram pass. Used the tram pass in FC to go to Resting Grounds. and found the Dream Nail. After that, picked up Shine Spark in Crystal Peak. Bought the Lantern in Dirtmouth and went back to Deepnest. Killed the Dreamer in the Distant Village, then took the tram to Ancient Basin, where I dumped 1800 Geo (all I had left) into the creepy fountain. Currently at City of Tears.

I'm playing it blind and just kind of winging it so I didn't think it was out of the ordinary to progress this way. Anyone else follow this path?

Other than that, I have no upgrades, still using the Old Nail and have 450 Essence, Using the Dash and map location charms.

The game funnels you into the City of Tears and Resting Grounds to get the Dream Nail before going into any of the areas where the Dreamers are, in terms of how the map is designed and through NPC dialogue. You're intended to get the first level of weapon upgrades before going into any of the more advanced areas too, although it's not necessary. After that point though there's no real "intended order" of actions in the design.

jb1234

I wouldn't say it's unconventional. The beauty of the game once you reach that point is that you have many options.
I ended up doing City of Tears far earlier than you (and left Deepnest for later).

febLey

Regarding the Switch version:
They did an AMA 2 days ago, where they stated the following:

Switch Release: We know people are bursting for news on this one! We did want to have a concrete date to give people for Switch, unfortunately although the port is coming together well we're not at that stage quite yet. Once we're confident that we can hit a definite date, we'll let everyone know.

https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/6rvds8/we_are_team_cherry_the_developers_of_hollow/

this game is so fucking huge, everytime i discovers new secrets, new areas, and so on!! They did an amazing work considering the small amount of money they've got!

i wish i had backed this game! I missed it only by 3 days

Violet_0

Banned
this game is so fucking huge, everytime i discovers new secrets, new areas, and so on!! They did an amazing work considering the small amount of money they've got!

i wish i had backed this game! I missed it only by 3 days

I'm making good progress (got more than half the caterpillars now) and still unlock new areas all the time. I'm like, I just going back to that inconspicuous room real quick to grab an item - hey, there's a hidden corridor? Hold on, it leads to yet another new area? Oh, boss fight! Neat, the reward is the ability I've been looking for all this time

this is legit the best Metroidvania I've played, and I played a bunch

after the second boss fight the game really opens up. At the
Mantis
village the Samurai NPC told me that I should get a weapon upgrade, so I went to do that and many hours later I still haven't beaten that boss fight while I picked up the
ground stomper (+dark version) and air spell, the ability from the mines, the wings and acid protection
, got all I need for the lvl 3 weapon and vanquished a number of hidden bosses on the way

oh, and about the Miner NPC
he/she turned hostile and I had to kill them :I

Cels

i fought the two new bosses recently added. you might think they're easy at first but you can fight them over and over and they get stronger each time you defeat them

one of them gets more and more titles the more you fight them, lol - i'm not sure how many titles he ends up with...

D358CFBB8D2BB0672274E0D0B280468AD1DC2894

(boss spoiler image)

imo repeat fights with these two bosses are harder than the trial of the fools, which i even completed without coming close to dying on steel soul mode. good that they added another challenge to the game.

The game funnels you into the City of Tears and Resting Grounds to get the Dream Nail before going into any of the areas where the Dreamers are, in terms of how the map is designed and through NPC dialogue. You're intended to get the first level of weapon upgrades before going into any of the more advanced areas too, although it's not necessary. After that point though there's no real "intended order" of actions in the design.

I wouldn't say it's unconventional. The beauty of the game once you reach that point is that you have many options.
I ended up doing City of Tears far earlier than you (and left Deepnest for later).

Yeah, we talked about it a bit more and he stated it just as you guys did; the game tries to steer you towards
City of Tears after Fungal Wastes, but instead I went the complete opposite direction and ended up completing Deepnest far earlier than would be "expected". Going this route also caused me to miss several Hornet encounters, which is unfortunate.

That said, it served as an excellent trial by fire since every other area has been pretty easy by comparison.

Mantis Lords become much easier once you realize you can down-slash their scythes.

Honestly, if you're good at downslashing, I'd say ~90% of the enemies and bosses become trivial.

Violet_0

Banned
I'm kind of disappointed that there wasn't a boss fight
in the Hidden Village
in the Deepnest. That seemed like a prime location for this sort of thing

I also loved that (NPC spoiler)
the bank teller just took my money and ran. I did not see that coming, heh

Violet_0

Banned
Wait what! I never found that service useful so I never used it. I'm gonna wiki this.

I lost quite a bit, ha. But I run around with 7000 at the moment anyway, and nothing to spend on

can someone answer me 3 quick questions?
1) Do you miss out on anything if you destroy the NPC ghosts (like extra dialogue, for example)? 2) Do those giant NPCs, like the Mushroom in the Fungal Heart or the mask builder or the guy sleeping at kingdom's end, do anything? 3) What happens if I dump all my money in the well in the Basin?

I lost quite a bit, ha. But I run around with 7000 at the moment anyway, and nothing to spend on

can someone answer me 3 quick questions?
1) Do you miss out on anything if you destroy the NPC ghosts (like extra dialogue, for example?)? 2) Do those giant NPCs, like the Mushroom in the Fungal Heart or the mask builder or the guy sleeping at kingdom's end, do anything? 3) What happens if I dump all my money in the well in the Basin?

For #3
Good things. And it only takes like 5k I think. Maybe 3k? It's not too much.

Violet_0

Banned
first ending achieved in 26h30min with ... 81% completion rate?! C'mon! I thought I was thorough! I was in practically every room that I can see on the map, lol

ok, found the
doppelgaenger/spider
. Super easy, that one

Violet_0

Banned
Did you ever see any
bees
?

took me forever to find the entrance to that area

alright, so White
Palace is shit. Making me do the whole thing over and over again (including making me run through two empty rooms) is not fun. They know it, of course, it's just there to torture the player. I beat your set of challenges, let me progress, nope let's do the whole thing again because I keep missing a jump at the end. And this is just the one with the sawblades, there's probably even worse later on. Btw Super Meat Boy is a fucking awful game

e: finished the first one, but this still sucks

Yeef

took me forever to find the entrance to that area

alright, so White
Palace is shit. Making me do the whole thing over and over again (including making me run through two empty rooms) is not fun. They know it, of course, it's just there to torture the player. I beat your set of challenges, let me progress, nope let's do the whole thing again because I keep missing a jump at the end. And this is just the one with the sawblades, there's probably even worse later on. Btw Super Meat Boy is a fucking awful game

e: finished the first one, but this still sucks
With Hiveblood, it's not an issue at all. Just wait a few seconds to regen after every attempt. I didn't find it particularly challenging, but I play a lot of platformers.

Violet_0

Banned
With Hiveblood, it's not an issue at all. Just wait a few seconds to regen after every attempt. I didn't find it particularly challenging, but I play a lot of platformers.
I really just don't like games that require memorization and perfection through repetition. It's not super difficult, but it annoys me like hell

and I forgot about Hiveblood, damn

anyway, second one was a bit easier

Yeef

I really just don't like games that require memorization and perfection through repetition. It's not super difficult, but it annoys me like hell

and I forgot about Hiveblood, damn
With the exception of a part towards the end where
you need to fall past some spears
, I didn't feel there was really any memorization involved; just reflexes.

Violet_0

Banned
it's safe to say that without Hiveblood, I would have stopped playing

is there any in-game way to locate the last missing items?

it's safe to say that without Hiveblood, I would have stopped playing

is there any in-game way to locate the last missing items?

There is for grubs. To reach it, you need to unlock a door at that City of with a unique key. There's also a visual hint that there's something there below that area

Violet_0

Banned
There is for grubs. To reach it, you need to unlock a door at that City of with a unique key. There's also a visual hint that there's something there below that area
got that map a while ago, I think I'm only missing like one grub but it's not anywhere on my map
decided to finish the game with the true ending and not get the 100%. Really loved how bittersweet it is
I looked up the wiki and it seems like I missed two relatively minor NPCs and a couple secrets and alternative endings for some NPCs. The amount optional dialogue is kinda crazy, I had no idea that
all those empty snail houses belonged to the relatives of the NPC at the temple after the first boss, for example, or that there's a dead body above the NPC at the Queen's Station saying something like "I'm not ... food" when you hit them with the, eh, dream nail-thingie. And I shouldn't have killed the weaponsmith, heh

the story obviously takes a lot from
Dark Souls, but they also managed to make it it's own thing. The main character's origin and identity in particular is intruiging

I was hoping to play a cute semi-competent Metroidvania when I blindy purchased Hollow Knight, but it far exceeded my expectations. This is truly a special game and among the very best indie titles

Durante

I don't have much time to play stuff right now, but I put a few hours into Hollow Knight. Like it a lot so far, though the pacing feels a bit sluggish after Momodora 4 (which is impeccably paced).

kyo2004

So, after so much delay with my backlog, this week finally I play this game.

Beautiful game so far, but the game difficulty has some huge spikes, right now I was fighting the
Mantis Lords
and... oh boy.... They kick me so hard... It's is right engage that fight with only 2 proper bosses defeated (not counting sub-bosses)? Until now, I don't have any nail upgrades (just the basic sword), just a couple of charms and my first life upgrade.

Nabs

Beautiful game so far, but the game difficulty has some huge spikes, right now I was fighting the
Mantis Lords
and... oh boy.... They kick me so hard... It's is right engage that fight with only 2 proper bosses defeated (not counting sub-bosses)? Until now, I don't have any nail upgrades (just the basic sword), just a couple of charms and my first life upgrade.

It's best to at least upgrade your nail once. If you talked to the NPC (Quirrel) nearby, he even says something about that:

"I've some words of advice, my friend. If you plan to challenge the lords of this tribe, your blunted nail may prove inadequate.

There is a city nearby, the old capital of Hallownest. I've heard a Nailsmith resides there. Seek the old bug out and you may find progress that much easier."

Mantis Lords

They're optional also.

Violet_0

Banned
I didn't have much trouble with either
Mantis Lords
or
Soul Master
, and I'm not particularly good at this game. The first one has an easy to learn pattern and after 3 or so tries I didn't get hit in phase 1, the second is also not hard to read and you can corner-camp him (works also in the
Hornet
fights) . Most difficult fight for me was
Watcher Knight
, though I didn't fight the dream bosses or do the arena part 3

Beat the game tonight, got the best ending and clocked 23 hours with 91% completion. Endgame spoilers:
White Palace was fun, wish it was longer.

I wouldn't say it tops Super Metroid or SotN (and frankly I doubt anything will at this point), but about the best praise I can give it is that it's the only indie metroidvania so far that's actually held my interest till the end.

Hmm, it took me 6 hours (though I did 100% the map). Length isn't really an indicator of quality for me.

Length isn't an indicator of quality, but his point was that Momodora has an energetic pace right from the start because it can't afford not to; there's literally no time for a slow and steady build-up since the vast majority of players will complete it in a single sitting. It's also far more linear than Hollow Knight.

Tunahead

I don't have much time to play stuff right now, but I put a few hours into Hollow Knight. Like it a lot so far, though the pacing feels a bit sluggish after Momodora 4 (which is impeccably paced).

As someone who loves Momodora: Reverie Under The Moonlight, I'd say Hollow Knight starts out slow, but once you get your first movement upgrade, it really opens up and picks up the pace. Once you have two or three movement upgrades I'd say it reaches Momodora levels and mostly stays there.

Almost done with the main story and I have not liked a single boss fight. The lack of an enemy health bar was a poor choice. Every goddamn fight feels like a war of attrition. I guess the main problem is the combat is unsatisfying.

butman

Gaf help me please.

I already unlocked the first guardian that was at the Distant Village far west of the map, and i think i explored everywhere that i'm capable at the moment. I can't pass the black mists and higher grounds yet. So i can't reach the other two guardians.

Any hints? Thanks in advance.

butman

Gaf help me please.

I already unlocked the first guardian that was at the Distant Village far west of the map, and i think i explored everywhere that i'm capable at the moment. I can't pass the black mists and higher grounds yet. So i can't reach the other two guardians.

Anyone?
I'm really stuck and it's ridiculous as I have not been able to keep moving forward. Or it's something very simple or something that really needs to be consulted online.

jb1234

Gaf help me please.

Because the game is so non-linear after a certain point, it's hard for me to know exactly where you've explored. What areas have you been to?

Exentryk

Gaf help me please.

You can go
to Ancient Basin (east of Deepnest / drop down from City of Tears) and you should be able to get double jump there.

For the rest, you have to go to
Kingdom Edge (East of City of Tears) and then beat the boss there. After that you'll get a specific item which will let you access past a point in Ancient Basin (to go deeper in the Abyss), and that's where you'll get an ability to go through the black bars.

Top Bottom