• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hollow Knight |OT| Cute Insects That Just Want to Burrow Into Your Heart

butman

You can go
to Ancient Basin (east of Deepnest / drop down from City of Tears) and you should be able to get double jump there.

For the rest, you have to go to
Kingdom Edge (East of City of Tears) and then beat the boss there. After that you'll get a specific item which will let you access past a point in Ancient Basin (to go deeper in the Abyss), and that's where you'll get an ability to go through the black bars.

The two path that i have are:
To the left where the bench is i can't go further because is a path of spikes, and to the right i can't reach the Palace Grounds because i need the double jump.

YrDxV4u.png

jb1234

To the left where the bench is i can't go further because is a path of spikes, and to the right i can't reach the Palace Grounds because i need the double jump.

Yeah, you can't do anything else in that area. You'll have to do some backtracking up north and enter some other zones.

Violet_0

Banned

ok,
remember where the miner NPC is near the first boss? You can go there and use the ground attack spell or buy the latern and go through the dark corridor below. That's where you want to go

in my playthrough I kind of lucked into following the ciritical path for the necessary abilities, heh

butman

Yeah, you can't do anything else in that area. You'll have to do some backtracking up north and enter some other zones.

ok,
remember where the miner NPC is near the first boss? You can go there and use the ground attack spell or buy the latern and go through the dark corridor below. That's where you want to go

in my playthrough I kind of lucked into following the ciritical path for the necessary abilities, heh

OK i got it i missed to explore
the crystal cave
. Thanks!

Exentryk

Stopped playing this as my brothers having my PC, any word on when it'll come out for PS4?

I was really enjoying it.

As per Team Cherry:

XBox and PS4: Lots of people have asked us if we'll be releasing on these two. The answer is that we've defnitely started the process of looking into it and have spoken to both Microsoft and Sony, but we're not ready to make any announcements just yet.

Guys, I just got the late-game ability to
dash through shade gates
. Does anyone remember where those are? I remember one in the
Queen's Gardens
. Is it worth it to seek them out?

Nabs

Guys, I just got the late-game ability to
dash through shade gates
. Does anyone remember where those are? I remember one in the
Queen's Gardens
. Is it worth it to seek them out?

I think there's one in the
Deepnest near the tram.

Durante

I played some more today, now up to 11 hours or so. It really opens up in terms of abilities, and most of the boss fights are amazing -- both their design/mechanics and their presentation/atmosphere. Great game.

Kweh

In the Fungal Wastes is there a technique to get a good height off the bounce pad/flowers? I can't seem to do it at all, and it's stopping my progress unless I have to go somewhere else.

Nabs

In the Fungal Wastes is there a technique to get a good height off the bounce pad/flowers? I can't seem to do it at all, and it's stopping my progress unless I have to go somewhere else.

Hold down and hit it with your nail before landing on it.

TeaJay

Imagine the "swing" of your nail as a physical thing and time your hit so the furthest tip of the swing hits the bouncy mushroom. That way you get maximum height.

Started playing a couple of days back. I'm loving it so much, such a perfect blend of Metroidvania and Dark Souls mechanics (this latter part was unexpected).

However the dev that decided you can't save
Myla
can go fuck right off. :( I'm used to characters dying in Souls game but this was just cruel.

Started playing a couple of days back. I'm loving it so much, such a perfect blend of Metroidvania and Dark Souls mechanics (this latter part was unexpected).

However the dev that decided you can't save
Myla
can go fuck right off. :( I'm used to characters dying in Souls game but this was just cruel.

It'll make defeating the final boss all the more cathartic to defeat

kyo2004

Almost finishing the game and it was beautiful (
at this moment, trying to fight The Radiance...
)... except White Palace... White Palace was a nightmare with a shitty keyboard...

Almost finished too. Got all grubs, all magic orb fragments, missing one mask fragment, etc. Amazing game that has captured me like few others have, virtually perfect in every way: gameplay, visuals, music, atmosphere...

archagon

Neo Member
I know this topic has probably been done to death in previous pages, but... shit. At the end of the game,
what has our protagonist really accomplished? Allowed the Void to consume the Light... killed the Maggot who was only trying to protect his brothers... destroyed the Collector who was presumably saving the grubs from the maw of their hungry father... absorbed a bunch of innocent souls for sheer power... and destroyed the very essence of the remaining Moth tribe. In the end, the Knight was just a cog in the Pale King's horrifying vendetta. I'm not really sure Hollownest is in for a happy future. The Void doesn't seem overly friendly.

Also: whether explicit or not, I thought it was clever how the player's desire to 100% the game and get the true ending (whatever the cost)
mapped cleanly onto the Knight's emotionless instinct to destroy Radiance. Perhaps he wasn't that sentient after all.

Durante

I've just reached the end, but not completed it (65%). Really an excellent game.
It's rare for something to be so well-designed across all aspects, and at this length/size too.

Danielsan

Picked this game back up during the weekend. Decided to hit up the boss at around 84% completion. Then decided to seek out a bit more of of the extra content and finished a couple of hidden bosses (
I love how there are tougher Dream World versions of previously defeated bosses
) and a hidden and tough as nails area that turns the game into
Super Meat Boy
. I'm now at 88% completion. I know that I'm missing at least 2 grubs, I still need to get through the third trial of fools and I have to do that damn hard as nails flower quest. Not sure if I'll ever 100% it ( I don't want to use a guide), but I'll at least hit up the last boss again as I should now be able to get the true ending.

Bulzeeb

hi guys, so I am about to beat this game, the only thing I have left to get is the
king soul / Void hearth
, and I have one question, can I go, beat the final boss without this items to get ending 1, then load the file again and proceed to get the rest of the items to get the other endings? or am I stuck with one ending per run?

thanks in advance

Yeef

hi guys, so I am about to beat this game, the only thing I have left to get is the
king soul / Void hearth
, and I have one question, can I go, beat the final boss without this items to get ending 1, then load the file again and proceed to get the rest of the items to get the other endings? or am I stuck with one ending per run?

thanks in advance
After you finish the game you can just reload the save and continue playing.

Kickstarter Update has details on the new, free, expansion. The Grimm Troupe.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/11662585/hollow-knight/posts/1988317?ref=backer_project_update

Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1imD1_uu0w

Details:
This Halloween, Grimm and his Troupe arrive, free for all players. What’s packed in for this chilling expansion? Let’s jump into the details:

New Major Quest - Light the Nightmare Lantern and summon the Grimm Troupe to Hallownest, if you dare! Take part in a twisted ritual that stretches the breadth of the kingdom and bestows the player with a powerful new ally.

New Boss Fights - What epic quest is complete without epic show-downs? Get ready to face off against a dark new foe and a twisted scarlet spectre. Who are they? What brings them to Hallownest? We won’t spoil the surprise!

4 New Charms - We’re going all out with the quest, but that’s not enough! Your charm range is also expanding, granting unique new aids and abilities. You’ll have to discover their powers for yourself, but their appearance may give a few hints.

New Enemies - The arrival of the Troupe doesn’t just mean enormous boss encounters, it also brings new smaller (but challenging!) foes to test your nail and spells against. Your Hunter’s Journal is going to be overflowing by the time your done!

New Friends - Grimm’s clan may appear scary but they aren’t all bad. Get ready to befriend a new bunch of weirdos, including one who offers a very special service for players flush with Geo!

New Music - Tying this whole cavalcade together are all new spooky and spine tingling tracks by Christopher Larkin. Get ready to feel the fear!

Map Markers - In a world as big as Hallownest finding your way is the greatest challenge of all, and you’ll now have an extra tool in your cartographic journeys with custom Map Markers! Place them anywhere on your maps to remember a point of interest, a difficult foe or an item just out of reach.

Switch Update:
So many of you are eager for Switch news, and we want so badly to drop that release date, but we can’t do it quite yet!

As agonising as that is, we can say that things are pulling together (frame-rate is getting the thumbs up!), but there’re still a few more hurdles to clear before we can give you a release date that we're 100% confident we'll hit.

As stretched we are across everything at once (Content Packs + Backer Rewards + Porting + Support = Intense!), we really appreciate all the excitement for the Switch version. We just want to ensure it's as great as it can be when it lands in your hands.

And of course, The Grimm Troupe will be included in Hollow Knight’s Switch version at launch. Cheers for being patient with us and keeping up the energy!

Exentryk

Looking forward to the new charms. In terms of content, I mainly want to explore new areas, but iunderstsnd these will come as paid DLC (which is fine).

KainXVIII

So, uhh, what to do in Beast Den?
I only found some sleeping figure (how to wake up him??) and some strange egg shape thingy. Where is boss or something? There is big mask icon on the map but where can i find it?
Some hint will be helpful (without heavy spoilers of course =) )

Yeef

So, uhh, what to do in Beast Den?
I only found some sleeping figure (how to wake up him??) and some strange egg shape thingy. Where is boss or something? There is big mask icon on the map but where can i find it?
Some hint will be helpful (without heavy spoilers of course =) )
Talk to the 'egg shape thing'

maxcriden

ASaiyan

Banned
So 2018 on this port then? Lol.

I get that it's hard for such a small team to estimate a release date, but I'd love to have a better idea of the launch window, even if it was later than I was expecting. Easily my most anticipated 'Nindie', by far.

Gbraga

Are the expansions for this game like the ones in Souls, where you access a brand new area, or do they add content to the base map? I'm still 2 hours into the game, not sure if I should wait for this to come out before continuing. I'm loving everything about it so far, btw, Dirmouth's theme is probably what I enjoy the most.

Anno

I get that it's hard for such a small team to estimate a release date, but I'd love to have a better idea of the launch window, even if it was later than I was expecting. Easily my most anticipated 'Nindie', by far.

I wonder if it'll be a TGS announcement.

maxcriden

Seems like it could still hit this year. I personally think based on the info they've given us that it could come by year's end.

epmode

I just made it through the true ending. This is probably my favorite Metroid kinda game sine SOTN. I *love* it.

I'm just sad that I skipped the Kickstarter.

Yeef

I can't talk to it (only hit with nail) =(
I misunderstood; I thought you meant the Hunter's Den.

In the beast's den you can't do anything until you get the
Dream Nail
. If you head down and left, you'll find a breakable wall that leads to an exit.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Team Cherry is freakin' awesome. By the time i'll beat the final goddamn challenge there'll be a ton of new content waiting for me. I don't want this game to end!

KainXVIII

I misunderstood; I thought you meant the Hunter's Den.

In the beast's den you can't do anything until you get the
Dream Nail
. If you head down and left, you'll find a breakable wall that leads to an exit.

Yeah, i completely forgot that i have that Nail! Now i need to try it everywhere =(

Exentryk

Are the expansions for this game like the ones in Souls, where you access a brand new area, or do they add content to the base map? I'm still 2 hours into the game, not sure if I should wait for this to come out before continuing. I'm loving everything about it so far, btw, Dirmouth's theme is probably what I enjoy the most.

The current free content updates have been on the base map, but I believe paid DLC will let us explore new area.

PaulloDEC

SaylorMan

None of my friends have yet to start this game. A crime! They'll come around soon. a
But I need some decent conversation SO:

What are you guys wanting from the upcoming second playable character DLC? And other hopefully bigger DLCs?

Gameplay wise I'd like for the team to maybe try to introduce more puzzles. Just simple ones but I think it could add a lot to the game. Next to that I'd like to see more difficult platforming sections. The
White Palace
was really enjoyable.

Lilo_D

IMO, the backtracking is the only problem i have with this game and it's probably not a real problem, just because it's kinda annoy for me
A really good game [9/10]

Top Bottom