• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hollow Knight |OT| Cute Insects That Just Want to Burrow Into Your Heart

DrArchon

I wasn't able to beat that asshole until I upgraded my weapon at the blacksmith. Have you tried that yet?

Also,
the map guy is there. He's just a bit later in the level, which is annoying.

Yeah I upgraded my nail. Needed to do that just to beat the
Soul Warrior

I guess it doesn't matter if I haven't found map guy yet. Not like I'm doing much exploring when I'm just dashing through everyone to get back to
Soul Master
again and again.

jb1234

Yeah I upgraded my nail. Needed to do that just to beat the
Soul Warrior

I guess it doesn't matter if I haven't found map guy yet. Not like I'm doing much exploring when I'm just dashing through everyone to get back to
Soul Master
again and again.

See, now I'm nervous. I haven't bumped into the
Soul Warrior
yet. :p But yeah, that run to the boss is really annoying. At least they let you open some shortcuts.

Is the game badly optimized or am I seriously going to have to play this in my beefy PC? Playing it in my laptop, I have 60 fps in certain areas, but when shit starts appearing on screen it starts lowering. Not only that but the screen stutter.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
we
wall jumping
now

seems so silly to spoiler tag that since its such a staple of the genre but alas, some peeps are super sensitive >_>

Is the game badly optimized or am I seriously going to have to play this in my beefy PC? Playing it in my laptop, I have 60 fps in certain areas, but when shit starts appearing on screen it starts lowering. Not only that but the screen stutter.

why do people assume that just because its 2D it can run on a toaster?

we
wall jumping
now

seems so silly to spoiler tag that since its such a staple of the genre but alas, some peeps are super sensitive >_>

why do people assume that just because its 2D it can run on a toaster?

It's not a toaster though. It has a mobile 900 series card. Regardless, the drops in fps seem outlandish. And the stuttering is a bit ridiculous. So far it hasn't been game breaking but I'd rather play this in my sofa with background noise in my tv vs having to use the beefy pc.

PinballRJ

Just played for an hour and it's already my favorite game so far this year

amazing music and art

every character is so dam cute and lovable

platforming and combat feels great (hopefully they fix that stutter soon)

DrArchon

See, now I'm nervous. I haven't bumped into the
Soul Warrior
yet. :p But yeah, that run to the boss is really annoying. At least they let you open some shortcuts.

Huh, I thought you had to fight him to get to
Soul Master
. Maybe I got them name wrong. It's the
teleporting motherfucker with the sword that you fight after the first 2 or so Wizards

Five

Banned
There are several parts of the critical path and some optional areas that are too dark to see in. You can still play in them but it's nearly impossible without the lantern.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
that moment you go into the
Mantis Lords
with 900 souls

giphy.gif

I can only assume it'll help out in those areas that are pitch black. I'd like to see if it's worth it though, depending on what's in these areas.

There are several parts of the critical path and some optional areas that are too dark to see in. You can still play in them but it's nearly impossible without the lantern.

Ah gotchya. I was hoping it was something a bit more fun than that (since the text said a companion), but that makes sense.

It's the well-written dialogue that world-builds while still being cryptically poetic and the faded yet beautiful environment with its ornate "organic Gothic" look that really sells it for me. Salt & Sanctuary borrowed more mechanics but it never really captured that Souls-ian vibe like this does

Salt and Sanctuary was in my top 10 of the year, but yeah it was borrowing too heavily. This game manages to feel like Metroidvania Souls. It borrowed mechanics and the whole idea of meeting NPCs, but without the attempt to also keep it gritty which is a nice welcome.

Rhaknar

S&S was very near the top of my GOTY last year. This is already better.

Interesting, after I failed the
Mantis Lords
, when I was going back that friendly samurai dude was on the way this time, and he told me about a nearby town that has a blacksmith. I havent found it yet but clearly you can before this boss since, well, he specifically tells you to go see him if im having trouble lol. Guess ill do some exploring then.

At least I got my souls back, they do the nice thing of leaving your shadow clone a little before where you died so you dont get fucked on bosses.

first pet peeve (just because I love it doesnt meant I wont bitch about stuff lol), I actually like the map system but there is NO reason for your location on it to be behind a charm, since you have so little slots to use them anyway. That is super annoying.
Yup, literally makes no sense, especially since the item that lets you fill in the map as you explore is not a charm.

I also think having to buy maps is just as annoying, at first i thought it was interesting, but after 5 or 6 areas i realize that it can force unnecessary backtracking just to find the map seller if you miss him while going through and area, which is very easy to do.

Thankfully the areas are designed well enough that i can actually remember the ways ive explored for the most part, so I dont get lost too often.

Stoze

It's not a toaster though. It has a mobile 900 series card. Regardless, the drops in fps seem outlandish. And the stuttering is a bit ridiculous. So far it hasn't been game breaking but I'd rather play this in my sofa with background noise in my tv vs having to use the beefy pc.

I'd just use your beefy PC, especially if you have a 120/140 hz monitor since the game caps at your refresh rate. I had a lot of performance issues when I tried playing Ori on my 870m laptop, which is also a detailed 2D Unity game.

I also think having to buy maps is just as annoying, at first i thought it was interesting, but after 5 or 6 areas i realize that it can force unnecessary backtracking just to find the map seller if you miss him while going through and area, which is very easy to do.

Apparently if you do miss him you can just buy the map from the shop in town.

Rhaknar

lol at
Bretta's
house after you
save her
<3

man its way too easy to get lost in exploring. I dont mena lost as in I dont know where to go, but sidetracked. Since failing the
Mantis Lords
I went to that
rainy city, found the blacksmith, got 1 more life pip, got 2 more notches for charms
, did a bunch of shit... I guess I should go back to the
mantis lords
lol.

Deepnest
is nightmare fuel ;_;

jb1234

lol at
Bretta's
house after you
save her
<3

man its way too easy to get lost in exploring. I dont mena lost as in I dont know where to go, but sidetracked. Since failing the
Mantis Lords
I went to that
rainy city, found the blacksmith, got 1 more life pip, got 2 more notches for charms
, did a bunch of shit... I guess I should go back to the
mantis lords
lol.

Deepnest
is nightmare fuel ;_;

Man. I'm past
City of Tears
and never bumped into
Mantis Lords. :|

DrArchon

Finally beat
Soul Master
. Still a real bitch to try and heal during the second phase, but I managed it somehow.

Decided to try out the
ground pound
in the mines and ended up getting lost in the
Crystal Peaks
for a long while. At least I actually found the map guy in a reasonable amount of time.
Super Dashing
is pretty much the coolest thing ever, but I'm still wondering when I'm going to get some real vertical mobility. It's hard to keep track of all of the long pits that I can't
wall jump
up.

----

Also, I'm currently holding onto about 4K in geos with another 1k in the bank, but I've cleared out the shop in Dirtmouth and I've spent everything I could on the Blacksmith and the various other sundry things I've found (stag stations, etc). Is there going to be a point where I can actually spend all of this loot I've gotten?

jb1234

Also, I'm currently holding onto about 4K in geos with another 1k in the bank, but I've cleared out the shop in Dirtmouth and I've spent everything I could on the Blacksmith and the various other sundry things I've found (stag stations, etc). Is there going to be a point where I can actually spend all of this loot I've gotten?

That's odd. You should have unlocked a few more shops by now. At least one in the town (
a bug dude who is easy to miss, you find him in an early area, can't remember which)
and there's a few other random people selling charms in various areas. I never have enough money and I'm just about where you're at (just finished
Crystal Peaks.)

vityaz

Been a while since I played a Metroidvania, got this and Axiom Verge earlier today. Only tried Hollow Knight out so far, and I'm liking it.
Loving the lush Greenpath (?) area, and currently at the Hornet boss battle.

Five

Banned
Finally beat
Soul Master
. Still a real bitch to try and heal during the second phase, but I managed it somehow.

Decided to try out the
ground pound
in the mines and ended up getting lost in the
Crystal Peaks
for a long while. At least I actually found the map guy in a reasonable amount of time.
Super Dashing
is pretty much the coolest thing ever, but I'm still wondering when I'm going to get some real vertical mobility. It's hard to keep track of all of the long pits that I can't
wall jump
up.

----

You might try dumping a bunch of that into charms. There's a nice lady at the bottom-right corner of the forgotten crossroads who sells more charms and charm notches.

Generally speaking those unclimbable pits are for falling down, not getting back up. You'll get more vertical mobility after you beat a certain boss in the
Ancient Basin
beneath the
Royal Waterways.

Man. I'm past
City of Tears
and never bumped into
Mantis Lords. :|

They're beneath the mantis village.

Rhaknar

when you
navigate worms and spikes by fucking downward slashing your way on top of MOVING WORMS to get a Soul Focus shard (which was the third and gave me a upgrade) in Deepnest

cci2cKe.gif

Five you feel me? You feel me right?

DrArchon

That's odd. You should have unlocked a few more shops by now. At least one in the town (
a bug dude who is easy to miss, you find him in an early area, can't remember which)
and there's a few other random people selling charms in various areas. I never have enough money and I'm just about where you're at (just finished
Crystal Peaks.)

The only shops I've been to are the map shop in Dirtmouth (which I cleared out on my first go), the shady dude selling charms (can't remember where he is, but he was shifty so I didn't buy anything from him), and the relic hunter in
Castle of Tears
, but I don't think you can buy anything from him, only sell stuff.

I'll go back through some of the earlier areas and see if I missed anyone (gotta do that anyway with my new powers). Maybe I've got so many geos because I've never not gotten them back after dying, so this is basically 6 and a half hours worth of loot I've built up.

jb1234

They're beneath the mantis village.

That would make sense. ;) I'll check it out!

The only shops I've been to are the map shop in Dirtmouth (which I cleared out on my first go), the shady dude selling charms (can't remember where he is, but he was shifty so I didn't buy anything from him), and the relic hunter in Castle of Tears, but I don't think you can buy anything from him, only sell stuff.

I'll go back through some of the earlier areas and see if I missed anyone (gotta do that anyway with my new powers). Maybe I've got so many geos because I've never not gotten them back after dying, so this is basically 6 and a half hours worth of loot I've built up.

Yup, you're definitely missing that one dude I mentioned and he's important. Lots of goodies from him. Hunt him down!

Five

Banned
when you
navigate worms and spikes by fucking downward slashing your way on top of MOVING WORMS to get a Soul Focus shard (which was the third and gave me a upgrade) in Deepnest

cci2cKe.gif

Yeah, bouncing with the down slash is one of the most satisfying mechanics in the game. There are some larger enemies that become trivial if you pogo on them instead of fighting them normally, but it takes a bit of balance.

DrArchon

Yeah, bouncing with the down slash is one of the most satisfying mechanics in the game. There are some larger enemies that become trivial if you pogo on them instead of fighting them normally, but it takes a bit of balance.

I love how the game never spells it out for you that you can do it. I haven't followed any of the pre-release coverage of the game, so I don't know if they said this was going to be a thing in the game, but it was incredibly satisfying to just see a little platforming with spikes in the Crossroads and think "I wonder..." and then BAM it works!

Felt really good to figure that out.

Five

Banned
I love how the game never spells it out for you that you can do it. I haven't followed any of the pre-release coverage of the game, so I don't know if they said this was going to be a thing in the game, but it was incredibly satisfying to just see a little platforming with spikes in the Crossroads and think "I wonder..." and then BAM it works!

Felt really good to figure that out.

Yeah. There's a small caterpillar trial next to the False Knight arena entrance with a series of platforms that have spikes set atop. That's when I first pieced it together. I don't know when the next explicit demonstration is.

Rhaknar

yeah I need a break, 4 hours straight lol.

I just want to go back to the
city of tears
but now im in the
deepnest
and I just keep going >_< gonna leave it in this save in some sort of
library (near where you save that fucking grumpy guy again)
because I feel theres a boss coming and im spent.

Stoze

when you

cci2cKe.gif

How you liking Deepnest? Place was a pain in the ass to clear out and I didn't get much to show for it except
the tram card
, but there's a few interesting things that hopefully come into play later.

Rhaknar

How you liking Deepnest? Place was a pain in the ass to clear out and I didn't get much to show for it except
the tram card
, but there's a few interesting things that hopefully come into play later.

I assume that t
ram card
is right where I saved since the hole in the wall leads to a
broken tram
zone or whatever it was.

there was also another part of the
grumpy guy
quest (well, quest in the sense that dark souls has "quests"), he's
wrapped in some spider web
there.

I also caught the
soul focus shard
that I mentioned earlier by
bouncing off moving worms and spikes
. Cant remember what else I got. Zone is creepy as shit tho.

Game really opens up a ton once you get
dash+wall jump
, Im sure
double jump
will have its uses (particularly to access zones where you absolutely need it I guess) but I feel
dash+wall jump
is all the mobility you need for now.

Im 5 hours in btw, boss wise ive killed the
fat guy, the lance lady and the mantis lords
. Those were the 3 "named" bosses Ive seen, Im not sure if those mini bosses count for the "30 bosses" the trailer claimed, I assume so because I dont see the game having 30 of those named bosses

It's the well-written dialogue that world-builds while still being cryptically poetic and the faded yet beautiful environment with its ornate "organic Gothic" look that really sells it for me. Salt & Sanctuary borrowed more mechanics but it never really captured that Souls-ian vibe like this does

I was literally sold from the very first lampost I saw with it's shell spiral top. Everything about the game works, it all fits. The world is more Dark Souls in flavor than any other game I've played yet still is entirely original on it's own merits.

Ok. I'm stuck. Suggestions?

Currently can't advance in neither the fungi nor the fog/jellyfish area because I need
either wall jump or something that lets me pass through the shadow barriers

I'm literally going around and can't find shit to do. I guess I could farm the giant dude to get enough money for the lantern, but that can't be the only way forward.

Five

Banned

Currently can't advance in neither the fungi nor the fog/jellyfish area because I need

I'm literally going around and can't find shit to do. I guess I could farm the giant dude to get enough money for the lantern, but that can't be the only way forward.

A lot of people seem to get stuck in the Fungal Wastes because they don't realize you can down-attack the bumpers to bounce twice as high. I'm watching LobosJR stream right now and he got stuck that way until I commented on it.

If you haven't found the mantis village in the fungal wastes then I encourage you to keep looking.

Rhaknar

you get the
wall jump
in the mantis villge which is connected to the fungal plce you are in.

edit: what five said.

A lot of people seem to get stuck in the Fungal Wastes because they don't realize you can down-attack the bumpers to bounce twice as high. I'm watching LobosJR stream right now and he got stuck that way until I commented on it.

If you haven't found the mantis village in the fungal wastes then I encourage you to keep looking.

you get the
wall jump
in the mantis villge which is connected to the fungal plce you are in.

edit: what five said.

I've been there but I figured I shouldn't keep going because I'm not hurting any enemies. Each time I attack them it has a white aura. Am I actually hurting them and they simply don't react like other enemies?

edit: wait nvm yes I am lol. Guess I thought they were high level baddies and left.

Rhaknar

I've been there but I figured I shouldn't keep going because I'm not hurting any enemies. Each time I attack them it has a white aura. Am I actually hurting them and they simply don't react like other enemies?

whut? :eek:

not sure what you mean, there are 2 types there, a tall lanky mantis that does a dash forward, he needs 4 hits to die or a fireball + 1 hit.

and there re bird mantis that die in 3 hits, and well...they fly around because they are birds.

Five

Banned

edit: wait nvm yes I am lol. Guess I thought they were high level baddies and left.

The white aura is for plot reasons, not gameplay.

If a character glows white when you attack them instead of orange then they aren't cursed/undead and may eventually be your friend.

DrArchon

Went back to explore all of the Crossroads and found the shops I was missing. Amazing how fast you can blow through four thousand geos on charms on other things. I think it was mostly the
lantern's
fault to be honest.

Also, I played for about an hour and somehow managed to
get the Dream Nail, learn who the main bosses are that I have to kill, get the Great Slash, get the dark ground slam, and get a whole ton of new charms and slots. Progress feels so good in this game.

ElfArmy177

Can't do it lol. Absolutely love metroidvania games but this one just isn't doing it.

Absolutely beautiful, unresponsive combat, odd gameplay decisions (why the fuck is there a pause and push back when my character hits an enemy?).

Music is awesome, graphics are fantastic. Have to refund though. Cant do the odd combat choices. Obviously inspired by dark souls, made difficult for no reason because of their ignorant design decisions like push back.

Hope it succeeds though, need more games like this just... Not this, atleast for me

Top Bottom