• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hollow Knight |OT| Cute Insects That Just Want to Burrow Into Your Heart

Stoze

Also, I played for about an hour and somehow managed to
get the Dream Nail, learn who the main bosses are that I have to kill, get the Great Slash, get the dark ground slam, and get a whole ton of new charms and slots. Progress feels so good in this game.

Just went through the same thing, it was almost overwhelming. Crystal Peaks is a really fun area as well.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Can't do it lol. Absolutely love metroidvania games but this one just isn't doing it.

Absolutely beautiful, unresponsive combat, odd gameplay decisions (why the fuck is there a pause and push back when my character hits an enemy?).

Music is awesome, graphics are fantastic. Have to refund though. Cant do the odd combat choices. Obviously inspired by dark souls, made difficult for no reason because of their ignorant design decisions like push back.

Hope it succeeds though, need more games like this just... Not this, atleast for me

There is a charm to negate the pushback

ryechu

Can't do it lol. Absolutely love metroidvania games but this one just isn't doing it.

Absolutely beautiful, unresponsive combat, odd gameplay decisions (why the fuck is there a pause and push back when my character hits an enemy?).

Music is awesome, graphics are fantastic. Have to refund though. Cant do the odd combat choices. Obviously inspired by dark souls, made difficult for no reason because of their ignorant design decisions like push back.

Hope it succeeds though, need more games like this just... Not this, atleast for me

"Ignorant." I don't mean to necessarily point you out as an example. But this post is everything I don't like about gamers these days. They often come into games with so many preconceived notions of how a game of a certain genre should play that they dont keep and open mind and attempt to learn if those design decisions have a rationale. This typically leads to shortsighted judgement of games as well as the "its not for me" defense. The problem I have with that excuse is it implies that it's preferences that prevent them from liking a certain game. When it is actually more related to the way people approach learning games in the early moments of the game; It's not your preferences, its your personality. Reminds me of the hate of Plague of Shadows because people are so afraid of dying even in the first level, when there is nothing to lose, that they take the safest option through the level instead of attempting to learn the controls they have zero proficiency (everyone starts that game not knowing how to move. The game doesn't borrow that much from other platforming mechanics). The moment they get float burst, they activate it because of their extreme negative response to death. It seems to me, symptomatic of a gamer culture that doesn't like to be told or even reminded that they are starting off as a beginner again. "X, Y, or Z, mechanic keeps killing me. It's a terrible mechanic! Why isn't it more like these other games I liked."

In Hollow Knight pushback is integral to the design of the combat. Its an also idiosyncrasy to master in traversal.

jett

D-Member
I think I accidentally sequencebroke the game?

Got the
dreamnail
from a place I can't get to through what looks to be the normal entrance. Didn't do anything buggy though. When it comes to progression this game is kind of out there, I'm never sure if I'm following the intended path or not. :p Not sure if that's good or bad.

Five

Banned

Got the
dreamnail
from a place I can't get to through what looks to be the normal entrance. Didn't do anything buggy though. When it comes to progression this game is kind of out there, I'm never sure if I'm following the intended path or not. :p Not sure if that's good or bad.

That's the only way to get that item, and you have to do it eventually at one point or another. The map in the previous section indicates you can go there.

VandalD

I like the game, but I really don't appreciate the random stuttering.

Just a heads up. When you go to the arena and inevitably die, don't be like me and run back into the arena thinking your shadow will be there. It's in the room to the left of the bench. Lost 4500 money doing that.

Stoze

Got the
dreamnail

The Elderbug in the town gives you a hint on which area to go to for the critical path, and if you're getting new abilities then that's an indicator as well. Otherwise yeah I'd say it's more non-linear than most in the genre.

Not exactly sure what you're describing, but if you got either
the tram pass or went through Crystal Peaks
then you can get to it properly.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
is there a "named boss" in the
deepnest
? I assume so in that
broken tram
area?

im scared ;_;

DrArchon

Stumbled upon
The Mantis Lords
. Should've expected there to be some optional boss fights, honestly. Not sure how I managed to beat them in one shot. Guess I got lucky.

Also, I got 3 vessel shards and upgraded my max Soul level, but it doesn't really feel like anything changed. Still depletes the same amount when I heal or use spells.

Five

Banned
Stumbled upon
The Mantis Lords
. Should've expected there to be some optional boss fights, honestly. Not sure how I managed to beat them in one shot. Guess I got lucky.

Also, I got 3 vessel shards and upgraded my max Soul level, but it doesn't really feel like anything changed. Still depletes the same amount when I heal or use spells.

The main orb depletes at the same rate. There's a sub orb you can see that refills the main orb after a slight delay.

Rhaknar

Stumbled upon
The Mantis Lords

Mantis Lords
arent optional, you cant progress to the next zone (
deepnest
) unless you fight them can you?

jb1234

Is there anything of actual value in the
Deepnest?
The area went on for freaking EVER and yet, I don't feel like there was much there. It reminded me of the Catacombs from Dark Souls, that same unpleasant, GOD, I FEEL LIKE I'M BEING SMOTHERED ALIVE feeling.

I did got a tram pass but not sure what to do with it yet. I'm guessing the area was optional.

Rhaknar

Is there anything of actual value in the
Deepnest?
The area went on for freaking EVER and yet, I don't feel like there was much there. It reminded me of the Catacombs from Dark Souls, that same unpleasant, GOD, I FEEL LIKE I'M BEING SMOTHERED ALIVE feeling.

I did got a tram pass but not sure what to do with it yet. I'm guessing the area was optional.

I assume the
tram pass
is for the
tram
near the start of the game, and the
tram
will lead to a new zone no?

jb1234

I assume the
tram pass
is for the
tram
near the start of the game, and the
tram
will lead to a new zone no?

I'm not sure, honestly, haha. This is the first time in ages I've played a game like this where there aren't really any FAQs to rely on because it's so close to release. Just gotta figure it out ourselves.

I still have the area underneath the City of Tears to explore so I'm not feeling too trapped yet.

Just curious what everyone's specs are that are experiencing stuttering. I hear a lot of complaints of Unity games stuttering so don't know if it's a mix of the engine, the coding or peoples over all specs. I was thinking about getting the PC version first and depending on how good a port it is on Switch I may double dip.

I definitely don't like the idea of stuttering or slowdown though.

PaulloDEC

There is a charm to negate the pushback

Oh thank god. Four hours in I'm loving the game, but that pushback just makes no sense to me on any level.

Also, anyone ever notice instances where you're attacking a very near enemy and you seem to hit and be hit simultaneously? Like, both you and your foe take damage at the same time? Should that be possible?

ryechu

Just curious what everyone's specs are that are experiencing stuttering. I hear a lot of complaints of Unity games stuttering so don't know if it's a mix of the engine, the coding or peoples over all specs. I was thinking about getting the PC version first and depending on how good a port it is on Switch I may double dip.

I definitely don't like the idea of stuttering or slowdown though.

Its not because of specs. My friend has a 1080 and a good cpu and he gets stuttering. hopefully the optimization patch works.

Rhaknar

Oh thank god. Four hours in I'm loving the game, but that pushback just makes no sense to me on any level.

Also, anyone ever notice instances where you're attacking a very near enemy and you seem to hit and be hit simultaneously? Like, both you and your foe take damage at the same time? Should that be possible?

why wouldnt it be possible, you take damage from just touching them

The feeling when you unlock a new traversal mechanic and your brain immediately travels back in time to look at each area that you noticed you couldn't get through.

PaulloDEC

why wouldnt it be possible, you take damage from just touching them

I dunno, it seems like it's usually the case that in games where you attack with a melee weapon that an enemy in a "taking damage" state can't hurt the player. I guess that isn't the case here, which feels a bit strange to me.

I guess I'm not a fan of that whole trope where every pixel of your foe is dangerous; where a shell or a delicate wing is just as deadly as poisonous stinger.

Can somebody tell me where exactly the
banker
is? I somehow have completely forgotten after only seeing them once, and I have almost 3k Geo on me...

Rhaknar

I dunno, it seems like it's usually the case that in games where you attack with a melee weapon that an enemy in a "taking damage" state can't hurt the player. I guess that isn't the case here, which feels a bit strange to me.

I guess I'm not a fan of that whole trope where every pixel of your foe is dangerous; where a shell or a delicate wing is just as deadly as poisonous stinger.

I cant remember the last 2D game where what you say is true. 3D sure, but not 2D.

jb1234

Alright, that's enough for today. Man. I've gotten to a point where the game has thrown so many options at me that I'm not actually sure where to go next.

I could:

1: Seek out the three Dreamers and slay them. One of them I've already seen in the creepy spider cave.

2: Go after the roots to power up my new dream weapon.

3: Challenge the optional grave boss who kicked my ass.

4: Tackle the Royal Waterways, which I unlocked some time ago but haven't been to yet.

5: There's another boss I haven't been able to beat yet, who is pretty nasty and I'd like to give him a further shot.

I'll probably do the Royal Waterways because a new area is tempting but it's very nice to have options, in case I get sick of it.

Right when I started, I worried the game wouldn't be able to justify its length. Definitely not worried about that now. It's definitely up there in the top games of this genre I've played.

Can somebody tell me where exactly the *spoiler* is? I somehow have completely forgotten after only seeing them once, and I have almost 3k Geo on me...

Fast travel to Queen's Station, take the upper left exit and she'll be in the room to the left.

Anno

After fighting
Hornet
, I wonder if those are moves we can expect to see once
she's
added in as a playable character. Probably not all of them, but some could be cool.

Five

Banned
Can somebody tell me where exactly the
banker
is? I somehow have completely forgotten after only seeing them once, and I have almost 3k Geo on me...

At the bottom of Fog Canyon, the area between Queen Station and Greenpath that you probably don't have a map for. The easiest way there is take a stag to Queens, climb to the top left of the station, head straight left.

After fighting
Hornet
she's
added in as a playable character. Probably not all of them, but some could be cool.

The game seems so tailored toward's the knight's moveset, I'm really curious how well it'll work out with a different play style. Shovel Knight really took a dip in quality when you ran around as Plague Knight instead, so hopefully this isn't like that.

Rhaknar

After fighting
Hornet
she's

Is this something that is happening? :eek:

Stoze

Mantis Lords
deepnest

I don't think
Deepnest
is the next zone in the "intended" path, the
first half of City of Tears is, then Crystal Peaks.

Rhaknar

Team Cherry is Australian?

im only asking because that kickstarter link was in Australian dollars :p

Stone Sanctuary
ghost enemy wins for creepiest motherfucker. She's singing a dark lullaby the whole fucking battle fuck you stop singing

Also is there a point to the graveyard where
you can see a bunch of ghost of different bugs
? If I had to take a wild guess this almost looked like something to showcase Kickstarter
bug designs

I've upgraded my nail a second time, and the damage isn't so OP where I can 1-shot enemies I have to hit twice quite yet. Probably next upgrade. But at least enemies I had to hit 5 times I can defeat in 3 hits now. Anyone know how many times you can upgrade the nail?

Finally, I think my favorite bug I rescued is Bretta or w/e her name was. She's so cute. When you go to the town not does her house have
a little plush dol of you on her bed
she also channels the internet and has the most adorable
protagonist bug fanfiction she's writing

And I giggle everytime like an idiot whenever I walk onto the screen where she's sitting and
she goes "OOOOOOOOOOH <3"
lmao 10/10 waifu bug.

DrArchon

Mantis Lords
deepnest

Didn't realize that's how you got to
Deepnest
. Just went back and yep, I totally missed the exit on the other side of the arena. I thought that the crazy loot and friendly enemies was enough of a reward.

Also,
Deepnest
is scaring the piss out of me. Enemies popping out the ground everywhere that take 3 hits even with my upgraded nail, enemies
coming back to life
and skittering around making creepy noises, dark as hell, just awful noises and visuals all around, ugh.

I'm super glad I went to
City of Tears
and
Crystal Peaks
before taking this on, or else I'd be in serious trouble.

Rhaknar

Didn't realize that's how you got to
Deepnest
. Just went back and yep, I totally missed the exit on the other side of the arena. I thought that the crazy loot and friendly enemies was enough of a reward.

Also,
Deepnest
is scaring the piss out of me. Enemies popping out the ground everywhere that take 3 hits even with my upgraded nail, enemies
coming back to life
and skittering around making creepy noises, dark as hell, just awful noises and visuals all around, ugh.

I'm super glad I went to
City of Tears
and
Crystal Peaks
before taking this on, or else I'd be in serious trouble.

I really need to go back to
city of tears
and do this
crystal peak
place damn it, but currently im stuck in
deepnest
lol.

also, Bretta > Hornet. Thats right, I said it!

Finally, I think my favorite bug I rescued is Bretta or w/e her name was. She's so cute. When you go to the town not does her house have
a little plush dol of you on her bed
she also channels the internet and has the most adorable
protagonist bug fanfiction she's writing

And I giggle everytime like an idiot whenever I walk onto the screen where she's sitting and
she goes "OOOOOOOOOOH <3"
lmao 10/10 waifu bug.

She is a fucking delight. I didn't realize she updated over the course of the game!

This game has some incredibly beautiful quiet moments and I think that's part of what makes the atmosphere so striking and wonderful. I just got to
The City
and ran into Quirrel who was just chillaxing on a bench by the big window and I sat there next to him and just watched the rain for a while.

It was...just nice.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Team Cherry is Australian?

im only asking because that kickstarter link was in Australian dollars :p

Yeah. Just as well the game launched without any serious issues as 10am PT is 4:30am ACDT and the US-based community manager they hired doesn't have developer access to the app.

jb1234

This game has some incredibly beautiful quiet moments and I think that's part of what makes the atmosphere so striking and wonderful. I just got to
The City
and ran into Quirrel who was just chillaxing on a bench by the big window and I sat there next to him and just watched the rain for a while.

It was...just nice.

It's all about the music and the rain in that area. It made a big impression on me.

KingKong

Are those pins you buy from the map lady permanent or one time things? The map and quill itself seem to be items but the location was a charm (and it looks like I have 3 slots for it)

the whole map thing was a weird decision, I get the idea that they want you to feel lost and confused when you start out but it only lasts half an hour or so, unless I have to rebuy them again in new zones

Anno

Are those pins you buy from the map lady permanent or one time things? The map and quill itself seem to be items but the location was a charm (and it looks like I have 3 slots for it)

the whole map thing was a weird decision, I get the idea that they want you to feel lost and confused when you start out but it only lasts half an hour or so, unless I have to rebuy them again in new zones

You do have to buy a new map in new zones. Personally I really like not having a map for a bit in each zone and then filling it in, but I could see how some don't. It's a neat decision either way.

yeah the map thing was a weird decision. i actually at first played for 30 minutes and stopped because I was completely lost and it was taking away from my fun when I don't know where I've been and haven't been. Then I replayed today and went back to get the map and compass.

Top Bottom