• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hollow Knight vs. Undertale

Vote for your Game Of The Generation!

• Hollow Knight

Votes: 101 71.1%
  • Undertale

Votes: 41 28.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

.Pennywise

Banned
This match is part of the Game of the Generation Tournament. For rules, details and current brackets go to the Tournament thread (Click)

1OBMN7h.jpg

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
If you vote for undertale then...

tenor.gif

This is the kind of attitude we need in votes like this when people like xxxKarma take their time to prepare all this for hours and hours.

I am fucking ashamed to share a planet with you.

jk lol

iorek21

Oh no...

Time has come for the face-off I didn't want to participate (the potential Bloodborne x Persona 5 will hurt too).

As much as it hurts, I'll vote for Hollow Knight. It doen't have the charm that Undertale has, but it is a superior game.

HK has tons of content, it is actually a steal for the price, could've been $40 and it would still seem a fair value for what it has to offer. It is challenging, has lots of variety in levels, story is nice, exploration is amazing and the soundtrack is outstanding. The game is hurt a little by the geometric level design, but it is alright.

Undertale is also amazing, but mostly due to its story, characters and uniqueness; the "gamey" part in Undertale is so-so, IMO. But nevertheless, it is also a masterpiece, no discussion about that.

Feels bad for Undertale getting out in the first round, but Hollow Knight is on another level.

Fbh

Undertale has some cool ideas and is overall the more "original" game.

But Hollow Knight is just amazing. Loved the world, combat, bosses, lore, characters and art direction. It's my favorite metroidvania (the first to dethrone SOTN for me) and easily one of the top 10 games from this gen.

So Hollow Knight.

Raikugen

Neo Member
Hollow Knight was great, but Undertales OST really made it an experience. I'm going to go with Undertale.

bender

What time is it?
I love them both but I have more nitpicks about Hollow Knight so my vote goes to Undertale.

Vawn

Banned
Undertale was such overrated hippie garbage. Hollow Knight is one of the best games of the last decade.

I think i'll go with HK.

JaseMath

Hollow Knight.

Undertale is great, but it'll feel dated long before Hollow Knight will. It's a product of its time.

Enjoyed Undertale despite it's rabid fan base making it sound like it's the best game ever but Hollow Knight is not just better but also one of best metroidvanias out there.

I have played neither, but I’m voting for Hollow Knight. Undertale, despite the brilliant soundtrack and meta twists, is blown out of proportion. I also think indie games need to move on from the 8-bit aesthetic, and Hollow Knight happens to be graphically polished.

Last edited:

WindomURL

Played through Undertale and was left aghast at the slobbering accolades it received.

Hollow Knight is the best metroidvania ever made. Some of the best & most challenging 2d combat, controls, and platforming ever in one package and the soundtrack is immense.
Playing through it is like picking a lock and feeling each tumbler slide delicately into position as the world opens up

If they manage to top it with Silksong it'll probably turn out to be my goat.
It's a masterpiece.

Both are wonderful games that show how far the indie industry has evolved over the years -- hell, those two titles are way better than some of the AAA bullshit put out by EA/Ubisoft lately. I'll have to go with Undertale this time, though, as I think it's slightly better, but let's use this opportunity to appreciate both game's OSTs:

Moonjt9

Hollow Knight is my GOTG, and honestly, if pressed, could be my GOAT. There is an argument there. It is a perfect Metroidvania. The genre at its absolute peak.

Top Bottom