• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hollywood is losing Japan box office to gender-bender tale ‘Your Name.’

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blablurn

Hollywood is losing Japan box office to gender-bender tale 'Your Name.' | The Japan Times

Move over, Hollywood — Japanese moviegoers are shopping local these days.

While Walt Disney Co. claimed all five of the highest-grossing movies worldwide in 2016, the top spot in the world’s fourth-largest box office was a body-swapping, gender-bending animated coming-of-age story, beating out “Captain America: Civil War” and “Rogue One: A Star Wars Story,” the two best performers globally.

“Your Name.,” a story about two star-crossed high-schoolers who switch bodies when they dream, hit theaters last summer as an unheralded feature from a director who had never before made a blockbuster. And although it didn’t feature at the Academy Awards on Sunday — where Disney’s dominance extended to the Oscar for best animated movie with “Zootopia” — it has become a phenomenon in Japan.

It’s the second-highest grossing Japanese movie ever, with ¥24.2 billion ($214 million) at the domestic box office, the most any Japanese movie has made in more than 15 years. Director Makoto Shinkai has been hailed as a genius and the natural successor to Studio Ghibli’s Hayao Miyazaki, creator of the Oscar-winning “Spirited Away.”

But the success of “Your Name.” is just part of a larger trend. Over the past decade, as American studios have focused on the booming box office in China, Hollywood’s share of the Japanese market has plummeted. Last year, domestic films earned ¥149 billion, or 63 percent of total box office sales — in 2002, home-grown movies earned just 27 percent. Toho Co., which produced “Your Name.” as well as monster revival “Shin Godzilla,” the second-highest grossing movie released in 2016, is forecasting record profits.

The two movies share one thing in common — they’re relentlessly, unapologetically Japanese. “Your Name.” is at times a love letter to Tokyo’s cityscapes, with key plot points revolving around regional Japanese traditions. “Shin Godzilla” has more fast-talking scenes riffing on Japan’s post-Fukushima politics than it does building-stomping monsters.

“We weren’t thinking, ‘This will sell in Japan’ or ‘this will do well abroad’, ” says Tomoko Hazuma, a Toho producer for “Your Name.” “We just let the director, Shinkai, make what he wanted to make.”

Hazuma says she was unsure if “Your Name.” could surpass the success of the highly anticipated “Shin Godzilla,” which was released a few weeks prior. She attributes the movie’s box-office success to its cross-generational appeal.

Japan was once so enamored of Hollywood that Western stars famously made millions on the side advertising cigarettes, alcohol and other products in Japanese-only commercials.

But as budgets have skyrocketed, Hollywood has focused on China, casting Chinese actors in movies such as “Independence Day: Resurgence” and wooing the local market with China-set offerings such as 2014’s “Transformers: Age of Extinction” (a franchise originally based on Japanese toys).

Japanese audiences have been turning away.
While “Age of Extinction” was a smash hit in China, it took 30 percent less at the Japanese box office than the previous entry in the series.

“The Chinese market is already three times the size of Japan’s,” says Akitomo Kishimoto, an analyst at Okasan Securities Group Inc. “Instead of competing with Japanese movies that spend a lot on marketing, it’s better for Hollywood to focus on the growing Chinese market.”

The strength of family-friendly cartoon franchises, which typically release a new movie every year, is among the reasons the Japanese box office has performed so strongly. Series such as Doraemon develop a fan base through TV, providing a predictable revenue stream from customers lined up to see the latest installment, according to Kishimoto.

The two most recent “Star Wars” movies both lost on the opening weekend to a cartoon franchise about a talking ghost cat.
The live-action version of the hit “Yokai Watch” franchise — think Pokemon, but with ghosts — had ticket sales 30 percent higher than “Rogue One,” which opened on the same weekend, Variety reported. A movie in the same franchise beat “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” on opening weekend in 2015.

Indeed, animated movies are now among Hollywood’s most reliable successes in Japan. The top-five grossing foreign movies released in 2016 included the Oscar-winner “Zootopia,” as well as “Finding Dory” and “The Secret Life of Pets.” And while “Your Name.” has benefited from repeat viewers, it will still need legs in the last few months in theaters if it’s to match the success of Disney’s 2014 smash “Frozen.” (An alternative version of “Your Name.” using English-language songs recorded for the U.S. release is currently playing.)

Like everywhere else in the world, Disney trounced its Hollywood competitors in Japan last year, with three movies in the top 10. No other U.S. studio had more than one. A Disney spokesman said Japan remains an important market for the company, and it is thrilled by the reception its movies have had.

Kishimoto notes today’s Japanese don’t care if a movie is live action or animated. “There is demand simply for interesting movies,” he says.

While Japan has overpowered Hollywood at home, it has been unable to transfer this to success in the West. “
Your Name.” won’t be released in the U.S. until April, but while it has performed strongly in South Korea and China, it may struggle to replicate this success in regions where its Japanese influence is less familiar. The movie failed to secure even a nomination for the best animated feature Oscar, surprising many watchers in Japan.

“Japan has failed to convert critical success into commercial success,” says Akira Lippit, a professor of cinema studies at the University of Southern California. “The paradox that grounds Japanese cinema is that it is actually incredibly creative and robust, and far more interesting than most of the world.”

Lippit notes that the trend of Hollywood studios taking these creative Japanese properties and re-skinning them with a Western look is set to continue with the Scarlett Johansson vehicle “Ghost in the Shell” — it opens a week before “Your Name.” hits U.S. theaters on April 7.

Source: http://www.japantimes.co.jp/culture...-office-gender-bender-tale-name/#.WLkf638awUl

Interesting article. The times of Hollywood actors making big bucks in Japan are seemingly over. Except maybe Tommy Lee Jones who still is a regular guest in Japanese CMs. But Japan is bringing back solid homegrown movies which unfortunately fail at being worldwide commercial successes.

Maybe Japan should focus more on China?
Despite cultural differences "Your Name" was a HUUUUGE hit in the PRC.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Feels like a flawed premise in terms of declaring this a new thing. Japan's top earners have always been a mix of local and Hollywood. For every Titanic you have a Princess Mononoke.

daxy

Finally, a market where Futurama can get the ratings it deserves.

c6de3c6b8225e6ddab162aeefca41da9.jpg

lupinko

Gender bending/swapping implies that the character's own body's gender was changed from male <-> female or reverse. Like Ranma 1/2

This is just body swapping.

Yeah I don't get why the article said that, I went wtf when I read that because it sounded like they watched or are writing about a completely different movie that I saw at Toho Cinemas IMAX in January.

Mr. Sam

• "Gender-bender" is indeed a disingenuous way to describe this film.
  • The film is very good.
  • This isn't really anything new.

Trickster

based on the trailer, it seems like a typically super over-dramatic anime drama, with a plot that could be easily solved by sending an email.

Of course that's only if the trailer was a proper indicator for the plot

based on the trailer, it seems like a typically super over-dramatic anime drama, with a plot that could be easily solved by sending an email.

At first that's what I thought. Then I watched the film, it's right there of my top favourite stories on cinema.

Amalthea

Banned
I'd rather have non-Hollywood movies doing their own thing, having their own identity (or actually having an indentity at all, considering modern Hollywood tentpole films).

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The movie was so good it brought MIyazaki out of retirement.

I watched this on a plane (NYC to New Orleans / Delta) last week. It was the last movie on the last page of movies offered. I freaked out when I noticed it! It was good, but I'm not sure it's as good as Japan thinks it is. I've been a Shinkai fan from the start so I'm glad to see people finally acknowledging him. Worried what it'll do to his future output, though.

Blackage

Want to see it. =/

Sword Art Online's movie is having a fathom screening on the 9th, but of course I have work. -_-

I think it's great that other countries have such a strong, healthy local film industry. Shame that Canada's film industry is such crap and 99% of what we get is Hollywood stuff. I guess it's mostly because all of the Canadian creative talent just moves south of the border to work in America. At least Vancouver is a high demand city as a filming location.

Lain

I'm reading the Novel (while I wait for the home video release) and it's cool, can't wait to get the BRD later in the year to watch more Makoto Shinkai's goodness.

Usobuko

Banned
I watch it and was surprised by the number of people in the cinema.

Wolf children was like 1/3 the crowd compared to this.

Wolf children is also the better film.

Aki-at

And before that the last Japanese movie to be number one was 2013 and 2012... then back in 2008 followed by 2004 and 2003. Then you look at the top 10 grossing films of 2016 and 6 out of 10 of them are made by Hollywood. Then I decided to read up on Star Wars losing to Yokai Watch and found that whilst it lost opening weekend it made more than double the box office takings so it clearly didn't lose in the end.

Article is a bit iffy in how it's trying to frame stuff, Hollywood isn't losing to Japan, remains to be seen if this year with Star Wars Episode VIII will herald another Japanese number one box office smash or not. However looking at the box office performances over the past decade there has definitely been a stronger appreciation for animated films as the strong financial performers than live action.

Keihart

Yeah I don't get why the article said that, I went wtf when I read that because it sounded like they watched or are writing about a completely different movie that I saw at Toho Cinemas IMAX in January.

You are just braggin now

Good a time as any to mention that Your Name opens in select US theaters on April 7th, and is 100% worth seeing as soon as possible, as narratively blind as possible.

The trailer is a really poor indicator for what the film really is about. It was one of my favourites from 2016.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom