• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rottenwatch: The Marsh King's Daughter (starring Daisy Skywalker's American Accent)

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
eEZqi6x.jpg

QSRJ4et.jpg

V1kgh3Y.png

m0EOUlb.png

Opened last weekend. Made less than $1 million on wide release.

One curious thing about The Marsh King's Daughter's lack of impact on the box office is the fact that it has such a stacked cast. Ridley, who starred in the new Star Wars trilogy, co-stars with another franchise veteran, Rogue One's Ben Mendelsohn, who also stars in the Marvel Cinematic Universe as the Skrull Talos. The rest of the cast is filled out by actors including Garrett Hedlund (Friday Night Lights, Tron: Legacy), Brooklynn Prince (The Florida Project), and Gil Birmingham (Twilight, Yellowstone).

While the cast has appeared in prominent arthouse titles as well as big franchise installments, they have largely tended to thrive as part of ensembles in IP-driven projects. While Ridley is a big-name actor, outside of franchises such as Star Wars, Peter Rabbit, and Kenneth Branagh's Hercule Poirot movies, her box office draw has proven to be negligible. In fact, her highest-grossing non-franchise title was the 2021 Tom Holland movie Chaos Walking, which only earned $27.1 million despite its roughly $100 million budget.

gT9nama.gif

Billbofet

Well, with that trailer, there is no need whatsoever to see the movie as it reveals every single beat of what looks like a very predictable movie. Maybe that's why 17 people went and saw it...

Saber

Gold Member
Must be absolute terrible since I didn't know of its existence until now. No outdoors, ads or anything. And I thank them for that because that actress is horrible.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
All low hanging fruit about her actual acting chops aside, I cannot think of a worse "accolade," to have in this profession than "being one of the four main characters of a Star Wars trilogy,"

It's a cloaked dagger in every sense. You get a young, bright, bushy eyed hopeful fresh out of the career womb, grant them the offer of signing on to a multi-film renowned franchise, get to be the face of your generation's Star Wars. All that money, that exposure. Interviews, late night spots, magazine ads, etc, etc.

But the reality of (talent largely aside) being essentially manicured for typecasting as soon as you get out the gate seems to be lost on people who, in Ridley/Boyega type cases, have two gens of Star Wars to use as an example. I'm not a spastic F5 the wiki page type, but Daisy Ridley hasn't really been attached to anything critically worth a fuck or even a discussion since Star Wars. Hayden Christian, after Star Wars he did notable things. Like Star Wars.

Even Mark fucking Hammil never really got his due sans Luke until he decided to do voice work.

Tl;dr: I feel like being a young actor who's first big role is a Star Wars Main character is like discovering the Cure for cancer six months out of university. You may do cool shit after that, but you'll always, first and foremost, be the guy who cured cancer.

SJRB

Gold Member
Whoever cut that trailer should never be allowed to make trailers again. Dreadful.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Only 1000 theaters, no advertising (like not even a solitary ad anywhere) suggests they knew what they had.
The bit about having the director of Divergent as if this is a plus was funny, that series was so bad they didn't even bother to finish it.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I feel like we gotta sit through one of these "momma protects her own" films every year. Its the female version of "daddys gonna get revenge" but there isn't really a female audience for it and the male audience knows its just the WNBA level effort unless its really salacious and sexual (like Barbwire) or starring an absolute female acting titan. Still, if the budget is low it will probably do well enough on some streaming platform somewhere.

Whenever I see these types of films it just makes me want to watch Long Kiss Goodnight as that is about the only really good one.

9bzD7IF.jpg

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I feel like we gotta sit through one of these "momma protects her own" films every year. Its the female version of "daddys gonna get revenge" but there isn't really a female audience for it and the male audience knows its just the WNBA level effort unless its really salacious and sexual (like Barbwire) or starring an absolute female acting titan. Still, if the budget is low it will probably do well enough on some streaming platform somewhere.

Whenever I see these types of films it just makes me want to watch Long Kiss Goodnight as that is about the only really good one.

9bzD7IF.jpg
Aliens says hi

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Star Wars killed her career. Maybe she can get voice work like Hamill.
I'm no Hollywood expert, but her career is similar to Hyden Christenson. Big face time with Star Wars movies, but oddly the rest of their work is junk in terms of quality and/or sales.

It's like some people are Star Wars (or whatever giant movie) or bust.

Neve Campbell is another one. She'd do big popular Scream movies. But then just about every other movie she's in nobody cares about or gets grilled in reviews.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I'm no Hollywood expert, but her career is similar to Hyden Christenson. Big face time with Star Wars movies, but oddly the rest of their work is junk in terms of quality and/or sales.

It's like some people are Star Wars (or whatever giant movie) or bust.

Neve Campbell is another one. She'd do big popular Scream movies. But then just about every other movie she's in nobody cares about or gets grilled in reviews.
Wrong

eLjklVl.jpg

But really, this is true for almost every actor. They get 1, maybe 2 bites at major success and then that is it. Sustained high level features is a rarity.

I think it is true that modern blockbusters don't need Movie Stars(tm) because they rely so heavily on the IP or effects. Charismatic actors that alone are the draw have all but gone. Partly because of costs, I think, but also because of the general deglamorization of Hollywood. Easy access to "the stars" via 24/7 news and social media really knocks folks down a few pegs because most of these clowns are grade A idiots when not handed a script. Unimaginative, largely derivative ideas with a lot of money thrown at production and fronted by these twits isn't gonna catapult you into stardom. It's taking an ok script, mediocre productions, and ELEVATING IT by your acting that does that. Daisey Ridley can't headline, she can barely support. That she is getting work AT ALL should have her counting her blessings each and every day.

Laieon

I've heard of the book this was adapted from, it was pretty good, but had no clue they made a movie of it. I go to the movies a ton and never saw a trailer or any semblance of advertising for this. Sounds like even the studio didn't have much hope for it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom