• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HoloLens - Xbox One streaming AR

jax

Banned
Nope. They're just feeds of what HoloLens outputs to the screens inside the visor.

i think some people who call it "fake" don't mean "this video isn't technically feasible by the camera / holographc processing unit (i made that term up!) on the device itself, but rather mean that it's not a meaningful representation of what it'll look like to the user.
Bingo. What you actually see is just a very tiny, very limited version of what is displayed in these videos. Still amazing technology though.

Fliesen

You have more faith in humanity than I do. The usual drive-bys don't use that many words.

yeah, well, we have to make this assumption.

Otherwise we'll have people arguing against straw men. :p

https://twitter.com/Microserf2005/status/671779478398349313

this is a really neat video, though. I'd call that a somewhat accurate depiction of what it might look like to the WEARER, not the DEVICE.

https://twitter.com/EricRi/status/671800762977030144

same with that one.

I think the videos that show HUGE 65" virtual TVs don't really do any good other than showing what the device isn't really capable of.
There's plenty of stuff that HoloLens will be great for.

Virtuall mounting a huge-ass plasma onto your wall for gaming, isn't

I don't understand why Microsoft or anyone else is showing everyday consumer things like this off when it's going to cost thousands of dollars.

To keep the hype up? I dunno honestly

they say its for business applications but they show lots of renditions suited more to general consumers.

For example:
> showing xbox one streaming
> playing youtube vids
> playing minecraft
> Watching TV

But that's not to say they haven't shown any business examples, just a good amount of consumer examples

DorkyMohr

Banned
On another tangent. I can't find official mention of the resolution of the device. But from what I can tell from the aliased edges on that halo screen, it seems like it's running at 800x450? I'm pretty sure my math checks out but I could be wrong. And it's quite possible that they could upgrade that more feasibly than the fov before release.

Sydle

Because it won't cost nearly that much, at least not the consumer version.
Only the devkit is $3,000, and the first model is mostly for business/science use as far as I know, so by the time it comes to consumers in general, it will probably be priced appropriately.

My mistake, I thought the commercial version was going to be $3,000.

In terms of timing, I think it's still weird to showcase consumer behavior when they've only announced the business version.

Freeman

Banned
Without it covering the entire FoV it doesn't appeal to me at all. I think a VR set with front facing cameras is a more practical first step than this for experimenting with AR.

This will be great eventually, but its not there yet.

Fliesen

On another tangent. I can't find official mention of the resolution of the device. But from what I can tell from the aliased edges on that halo screen, it seems like it's running at 800x450? I'm pretty sure my math checks out but I could be wrong. And it's quite possible that they could upgrade that more feasibly than the fov.

yeah, that's another issue of the Halo video imho.
Seeing as it's the "rendering feed" of the device itself, we can't really know for sure how the actual resolution of the virtual screen is going to be.

I think the videos that show HUGE 65" virtual TVs don't really do any good other than showing what the device isn't really capable of.
There's plenty of stuff that HoloLens will be great for.

Virtuall mounting a huge-ass plasma onto your wall for gaming, isn't

Disagree - if you are 8-10 feet away from the virtual TV, it should be fine at 65", that should fit in the FOV.

nowai

These are fake. I've worn HoloLens. There's no way in hell this is real. The FoV is literally 1/3 the size of this.

This is 100% correct. In my first had experience wearing and using HoloLens, it is in no way like this video depicts.

First off, the image is very dim and poorly lit. Think original Gameboy without a backlight or an old Tiger electronics handheld. Second, the FOV as jax mentioned is very narrow. Imagine having a 4:3 box in front of you hovering in the air. This is where the image is displayed. So if you pan left/right or up/down there is a very obvious cut off where the AR is being displayed and where the image cuts off.

I'm sure in the future once the hardware matures, it will be a much more impressive piece of kit. As of right now though, this is clearly a mock up rendering to anyone who has actually used the device. Satya Nadella himself said HoloLens was still years out and will be targeted at business first.

Fliesen

Disagree - if you are 8-10 feet away from the virtual TV, it should be fine at 65", that should fit in the FOV.

yeah, might just be, haven't done the calculations. But a big TV isn't actually that "vision filling", you're right. - it's still going to be "cut off" as soon as you look over to your can of mountain dew ;).

The Halo video (apart from the questionable image quality / resolution) is already WAY more true to life (i.e. "what it's actually going to be like using the HoloLens") than representations like this:

EdGHxi6.gif

i mean, who greenlit THAT demo?!

Fliesen

If you look at the Autodesk video https://twitter.com/microsoft at 1.46 you clearly see the FOV is still not very good. Clipping of objects is shown.

Still, a good and 'honest' depiction of the capabilities of the device. I like that one.

The FOV isn't "very good" but only in comparison to the bullshot demos that MS gave at the reveal.
Had they not set up such an unrealistic bar with their staged demos, people would be amazed by the device already, regardless of its FoV limitations.

Genio88

It's still too early to judge Hololens, field of view and plenty of other things are yet to be seen, though i'm already skeptical about the Xbox One streaming cause it looks the same as the stream to a Windows 10 device, which means lag and not great image quality, at least for my poor 7 mega internet connection

Tfault

Still, a good and 'honest' depiction of the capabilities of the device. I like that one.

The FOV isn't "very good" but only in comparison to the bullshot demos that MS gave at the reveal.
Had they not set up such an unrealistic bar with their staged demos, people would be amazed by the device already, regardless of its FoV limitations.

Agree it's reasonable and certainly can only be improved on.

Unfortunately PR and reality will never meet!

dose

If it's recorded from the actual headset how come the guys fingers don't actually touch any options? (occlusion is handily avoided too). Seems fake to me.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Oy. So HoloLens has a built in way of recording a misrepresentation of what it can actually do FOV wise.

Microsoft are courting the biggest fucking blowback on a product conceivable. Whoever the idiot is that keeps saying "It'll be fine!" needs turfing out onto the street pronto.

This. Microsoft's straight-up refusal to give a clear and concise demonstration of the actual device and it's displays means that all this stuff is still little more than a concept render.
Renders of the ideal dream scenario that Hololens is aiming to achieve.

Sadly, they aren't even close to realizing it. I'm getting extreme Google Glass flashbacks here where the promo videos all looked amazing but the device itself was complete trash.
Instead of trying to mislead with flashy visuals, just be open about the thing for crying out loud. Let people decide if they deem it worth purchasing instead of trying to blatantly misrepresent the goddamn thing until it hits store shelves.

And yet we kbow the FOV is tiny.

When this tech takes off properly it will be impressive, but that big headset for the small square of imagery is not immersive.

NoKisum

Real or not, I hope we can get the overlay out of the way of the game feed. Don't want the game screen to become even more cluttered.

Raist

Banned
Or they are direct feed videos from the device?

Which should make no difference.
But you have to wonder, if the device is truly capable of this, then why does MS keep showing direct feed from these massive custom cameras then?

Gestault

The implication is that these videos are representative of what using the device is like. If these aren't fully indicative of actual usage scenarios, I'm calling that a lie. I usually cringe when people get a little too flippant with what they call lies when it comes to marketing.

If this is the actual output of the device? That's good stuff.

etta

my hard graphic balls
But you have to wonder, if the device is truly capable of this, then why does MS keep showing direct feed from these massive custom cameras then?
When was the last demo they showed using those special cameras?
Maybe they just now got around to implement a functioning record feature.

Occam

The implication is that these videos are representative of what using the device is like. If these aren't fully indicative of actual usage scenarios, I'm calling that a lie. I usually cringe when people get a little too flippant with what they call lies when it comes to marketing.

If this is the actual output of the device? That's good stuff.

Looks like we are pretty firmly in Milo-territory.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=187467729&postcount=113

Doffen

Since when has FoV been restricted by anything other than the screen?

Raist

Banned
Since when has FoV been restricted by anything other than the screen?

If it's direct feed from the device, it should show you exactly what you're seeing while wearing the thing. And we know the FoV isn't anywhere as good as that from countless reports.

Torment

Banned
It is outputying at a certain resolution just like a youtube video. This clearly won't show it the way the user sees it. Lol at people calling the direct feed videos fake.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Next consol from Microsoft with AR and VR Support is going to be awesome.

Doffen

If it's direct feed from the device, it should show you exactly what you're seeing while wearing the thing. And we know the FoV isn't anywhere as good as that from countless reports.

What we're seeing is a direct feed from the content that the HoloLens displays above a camera feed.

A direct feed shows what is displayed, not how it's displayed.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Microsoft's PR department seems to be quite fond of "mixed reality". Didn't know they had a special word for this.

Mixing reality with fantasy is Microsoft PR's speciality!

The HoloLens lot are in a league of their own though. Fantastic timing on these videos seeping out just as that "Troubled HoloLens Development? One Contractor Studio Let Go" article did the rounds.

This all makes that ridiculous giant camera rig at demonstrations they had even more suspect too. Like this whole project is mired in so much smoke and so many mirrors its hard to tell what even was real at any given point.

Raist

Banned
Microsoft's PR department seems to be quite fond of "mixed reality". Didn't know they had a special word for this.

They didn't come up with the term. To be honest I'm still not entirely sure what the difference with AR is. Perhaps interactivity, I don't know.

Alx

They didn't come up with the term. To be honest I'm still not entirely sure what the difference with AR is. Perhaps interactivity, I don't know.

It's semantics, but it seems that mixed reality is a wider definition of anything that involves both virtual and real objects. It includes augmented reality (adding virtual objects in a real scene, like most Hololens demos) and augmented virtuality (adding real objects in a virtual scene, like in an eyetoy game)

clintar

When he looks away from the tv over to the streamed image, and unpauses, it's like a full second lag based on the sound. Anybody else see that?

Doffen

The HoloLens lot are in a league of their own though. Fantastic timing on these videos seeping out just as that "Troubled HoloLens Development? One Contractor Studio Let Go" article did the rounds.

This all makes that ridiculous giant camera rig at demonstrations they had even more suspect too. Like this whole project is mired in so much smoke and so many mirrors its hard to tell what even was real at any given point.

Microsoft has reduced thousands of jobs this year were the majority were contract position-related. A reduction of 60 positions at a HoloLens contractor studio is quite insignificant in comparison.

etta

my hard graphic balls

Was the business you work for or science team you work with planning to get this product as soon as it hit the market?

People saying it's fake or not real, check out http://www.volvocars.com/intl/about/our-stories/human-innovations/pilot-projects-umbrella/hololens.

I know one of the lead people on the Volvo project extremely well. Trust me, it's real, it works, and for the target audience it opens up incredible scenarios.

It's not primarily going to be aimed at consumers on first launch I suspect, and it's not yet even got a release date, so for those wanting detailed consumer focussed videos I'd suggest you need to temper your expectations somewhat. Information and detail will come as we move closer to release, but considering there's a huge corporate market out there, well it's not a massive stretch to imagine there's other ways of engaging businesses than a few videos from the dev team quietly uploaded to youtube!

Edit: Oh and I agree, more field of view shots would be welcome!

Top Bottom