• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Homefront: The Revolution review thread

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Too bad. I liked the multiplayer in the first and got to see KAOS they closed. Good group of people, same with this new dev.

There's decent source material there, it just seems no one can draw it out.

0racle

I usually dont rag on games because they are the love-child of collaborative efforts from talented people.

But this?

this is embarrassing. It has absolutely ZERO creativity. none. Nothing about it is original at all in terms of ascetics. Im upset because I feel like the studio tried to take advantage of me and my typically open armed approach for purchasing/supporting games. I will return my unopened copy that I received yesterday. I cant believe they almost robbed me.

UrbanRats

Wow. Wow.
As cringe worthy as this game likely is, that doesn't sound unrealistic.
Nazi and Fascists helpers after the war weren't exactly treated with velvet gloves, by people who fought with partisans and the resistance, for obvious reasons.

Edit: OK, it was brought up already.

I knew it would be rough, but I could have never guessed it would turn out like this.

I wonder what the game must have looked like before Deep Silver picked it up. Yeesh

Audioboxer

Trying to tackle challenging topics is good IMO, helps dissipate fear in the industry of internet mobs and censorship. However try and do it in a shitty game with shitty writing and it's a lost cause really... It will require finesse and good writing to be appreciated if not at least understood. It's normal to have a gag reflex and find things distasteful but that can be where "understanding" comes in if something wicked genuinely fits the narrative.

I feel bad for deep silver, they seem focused on building their catalogue and saving projects in this ungrateful industry. This and dead island 2 are going to put them in precarious situation.

SilentRob

As cringe worthy as this game likely is, that doesn't sound unrealistic.
Nazi and Fascists helpers after the war weren't exactly treated with velvet gloves, by people who fought with partisans and the resistance, for obvious reasons.

Edit: OK, it was brought up already.

But the game still seems to portray you as the objectively "good" side, while the Koreans are the evil guys. It seems to portray you strictly as a hero fighting the good fight and beating up civilians is just part of what a patriotic hero has to do. That's the problem. Spec Ops: The Line makes you commit unspeakable war crimes as the main character but actually makes that part of its story, instead of glorifying it. I have not played The Revolution yet myself, but reading impressions that seems to be the difference here.

gossi

Remember when Crytek engine was hailed as The Big Thing in gaming circles? I'm guessing those days are done.

xRaizen

If you think you've had a bad year, I'm pretty sure it will be better than Deep Silver's 2016. This is a troubled lineup:
-Homefront: The Revolution
-Mighty Number 9
-Dead Island 2
-APB Re-release
I don't know about you guys but I've been excited for APB on consoles for quite awhile.. but it was slated for release August 2015 so... yeah..

hemo memo

Gold Member
The game has to be unplayable and you unable to finish it and fail every catagory in your review rating for it to score that low. C'mon Jim. 1:10!

Not that I playd it but I don't think it's this bad.

Tecnniqe

Banned
If you think you've had a bad year, I'm pretty sure it will be better than Deep Silver's 2016. This is a troubled lineup:
-Homefront: The Revolution
-Mighty Number 9
-Dead Island 2
-APB Re-release

Wait Deep Silver bought APB from that G-whatever company?

Its being re-released this year?

le.phat

You just described the death of the modern videogame industry.

Your opinion, I think that the resurgence of the indie scene with recent hits like Rocket league, Enter the gungeon, super hot and such show that creativity can be a driving force in sales and engagement. The death of the industry are these overblown marketing budgets that all sing the same song, meanwhile the previously mentioned games enjoy fantastic sales based on a genuine community alone.

le.phat

Great, I was worried that we are already three pages into this thread, and no one had yet mentioned how great Dark Souls is.

However, you can't establish a paradigm from one game/ example. Just because Dark Souls became a hit by focusing on a hardcore niche doesn't mean that it works for all games, especially in a genre like FPS that is dominated by huge production values.
So what's the alternative for an oversaturated genre that's dominated by huge production values ? More FPS games with huge production values ? Bigger marketing budgets ? Spend even more to hopefully become the flavour of the month, until you're dropped like a hot brick and left behind for tomorrow's FPS with huge production values ?

xRaizen

Wait Deep Silver bought APB from that G-whatever company?

Its being re-released this year?

They have the publishing rights to the console versions. But it was supposed to release Q2 2015. Almost a year ago. All we've had since then was a PEGI Rating back in September.

kiguel182

I usually dont rag on games because they are the love-child of collaborative efforts from talented people.

But this?

this is embarrassing. It has absolutely ZERO creativity. none. Nothing about it is original at all in terms of ascetics. Im upset because I feel like the studio tried to take advantage of me and my typically open armed approach for purchasing/supporting games. I will return my unopened copy that I received yesterday. I cant believe they almost robbed me.

They robbed you because you chose to purchase their game? What?

Just because you buy games without knowing if they are good doesn't make the developers robbers.

Portugeezer

But this?

Ridiculous.

Kaibutsu

Ouch... This game was never on my radar and I didn't play the first one. I'm still looking forward to playing through the campaign but I'm super glad I got this game for free...
CilYgkSWEAESr8h.jpg:large

xRaizen

Why do they keep trying to make APB a thing.

It's a good game... just plagued by hackers and worst of all GamersFirst doesn't even care enough to implement good servers for it. You get huge lagspikes every few minutes. Been like that for years.

They announced an engine upgrade years ago slated for initial release around the end of 2014... and it still hasn't released to this day. The only "support" the game has gotten is in the form of heavy microtransactions. Not much actual content was added by the current devs other than a TDM map.

But this?

It seems like a game that would've been released in 2008 and even then would have been met with apathy. The streams of this game are painful.

Oh man. I was on the fence about this one but this isn't sounding too hot. It's a shame they didn't just include the entirety of Timesplitters 2 in it, as then I would have certainly picked it up.

Jintor

The game has to be unplayable and you unable to finish it and fail every catagory in your review rating for it to score that low. C'mon Jim. 1:10!

hey man it's jim's review, if that's how he interprets his scoring scale that's how the scoring scale goes!

It really doesn't make sense for the rebels to refer to the North Koreans as breasts.

I imagine that's local English slang and I assume that term was used in the previous game? Hence why it's carried over. I don't think the resistance being racist to the occupiers (in this made up scenario, using a made up word) is really anything to be concerned over, as it seems perfectly plausible if the situation were to really happen.

I've just listened to the Eurogamer post-review discussion, and his main gripe seems to be that the resistance fighters are a massive bunch of idiots.

Top Bottom