• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

homeless

JordanN

Banned
Never beg. Apply for a job, even the really crappy ones.

Don't steal. You could get arrested or worse case, killed.

Avoid homeless shelters. Better off finding a forest somewhere and sleep there.

Hell, I wish we could make homeless fun. Why not live like how our ancestors did millions of years ago before we had fancy cities and technology?

As long as you don't starve/dehydrate, why does it matter if you're homeless? You wont actually die from being without a house.

Last edited:

Kamina

Golden Boy
If i lost everything i would find a way to survive without stealing or begging.
I acquired many skills and knowledge over the course of my life, so i am certain something would come up.

Last edited:

Melon

Banned
I would like to think I could push on through and rebuild myself in a respectable way, but I'm not one to assume I could do a certain thing in a situation without experiencing it first-hand. I'm also a bit of a pessimist at times so realistically I probably wouldn't handle it well.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
find shelters, find soup kitchens, try my best to get a low wage job.

it isn't simply a matter of "quit whining and get a job" when you don't have a home and maybe not a phone to be reached at. i guess you can hit up a public library and use their internet for free. that's what i'd do. find some restaurants that close down and hit them up at the end of the day for food they are throwing out. if it comes to it, i'd be dumpster diving behind grocery stores.

it is ironic tho, that people will pour their fucking hearts out over some San Francisco game developer that is making himself work overtime because he wants his name in the credits of Mortal Kombat 11, they will stomp their feet and declare boycotts and hold a personal grudge against Konami or Capcom or whoever for years because they fired their favorite celebrity designer, they will shame these companies to no end, meanwhile this thread and threads like this will just be full of one of jokes & little empathy

people can't even imagine real suffering, IMO this is why they make such a big deal over the little shit

Last edited:
Well what’s the definition of lose everything? All money, all savings, and home? It’s not a stretch these days. One medical calamity can wipe out a family.

Thankfully my wife and I live significantly below our means, and have a really good family support system. I have confidence we could get back on our feet relatively quickly.

JordanN

Banned
people can't even imagine real suffering, IMO this is why they make such a big deal over the little shit
My experience with the homeless has universally been negative.
I know good ones exists, the ones who do try to uplift themselves and aren't coming up to me for help. I actually respect them.

But I've also had psycho homeless come up to me and attack me. Like they were trying to blame their problems on me and I was suppose to take the brunt of it.

If they want to lash out, go lash out against the politicians who hold all the wealth and continue to make society miserable for everyone. But they lashed out against me (an innocent person who barely makes ends meet as it is) and I will never forget it.

Last edited:
I have wondered about this myself in the past.
If I lived in a country with no welfare, I guess I'd start by learning to feed myself. Maybe a soup kitchen or get a fishing rod and go and try to catch some fish?
After that, I'd try and find somewhere out of the way of others, to sleep. I dont think I'd stay in a shelter, due to high higher probability of running into a mental case and/or having stuff get stolen.

Texas Pride

Banned
If you loose everything what do you do?
Survive in the street begging for Money...stealing things...suicide?

Look to local charities in the short term. Family is also crucial. Coming to terms with how you got there is also important. I've personally been there so I know where you're coming from. Killing yourself isn't the way out. Life is hard suicide is easy. Do the hard thing.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Crime realistically because what else can you do at that point? You are homeless since nobody would even give you a chance at even a shit job. Or like sell your kidney.

CyberPanda

Banned
Crime realistically because what else can you do at that point? You are homeless since nobody would even give you a chance at even a shit job. Or like sell your kidney.
At least we’ll be able to go into Starbucks bathrooms to freshen up with ‘hooker showers’.

JordanN

Banned
Watch this video on Japan's homeless.
They do not commit crime. They actually start their own businesses and help their community.

Being homeless should not be an excuse to turn chaotic. Again, our human ancestors were "homeless" for millions of years but they still survived.

Last edited:

kiiltz

I've been homeless before for about 4 months and only moved into a house because a friend made me. I had a job tho and a car so it wasn't as tragic as some might think. It's not too uncommon here especially with the cost of living be so high.

Homeless =/= Helpless

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Watch this video on Japan's homeless.
They do not commit crime. They actually start their own businesses and help their community.

Being homeless should not be an excuse to turn chaotic. Again, our human ancestors were "homeless" for millions of years but they still survived.

Japan isn't America and people tend to be different when they literally are homeless, our human ancestors didn't have civilization either.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I've been homeless before for about 4 months and only moved into a house because a friend made me. I had a job tho and a car so it wasn't as tragic as some might think. It's not too uncommon here especially with the cost of living be so high.

Homeless =/= Helpless
I think having a car makes it less shit. Or a job. Either way 4 months on the road sounds tough.

JordanN

Banned
Japan isn't America and people tend to be different when they literally are homeless, our human ancestors didn't have civilization either.
Outside of geographic reasons, why do you think Japanese homeless don't want to commit crime but Americans do?
If you need a house to not murder someone, then the problem isn't homelessness but someone's actual morals.

If the homeless cannot survive in our current civilization, then isn't that all the more reasons for them to provide for themselves until they can be reintegrated?

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Outside of geographic reasons, why do you think Japanese homeless don't want to commit crime but Americans do?
If you need a house to not murder someone, then the problem isn't homelessness but someone's actual morals.

If the homeless cannot survive in our current civilization, then isn't that all the more reasons for them to provide for themselves until they can be reintegrated?
From my understanding homeless people in Japan do commit crime but it isn't reported.

JordanN

Banned
From my understanding homeless people in Japan do commit crime but it isn't reported.
Do you have an article that collaborates this?
Japan is open to tourists so even if the native citizens don't know what's up, the people visiting should be able to report criminal activity, no?

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Do you have an article that collaborates this?
Crime in general isn't reported or it gets handled quick. They have an image to maintain.

kiiltz

Japanese homeless tend to be older men who are educated and were formerly legitimately employed which is a bit different from the homeless in America who have only ever known poverty.

Crime in general isn't reported or it gets handled quick. They have an image to maintain.

Sex crimes and homeless crimes are separate issues

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Japanese homeless tend to be older men who are educated and were formerly legitimately employed which is a bit different from the homeless in America who have only ever known poverty.

Sex crimes and homeless crimes are separate issues
There is a bigger picture here. Somewhere I bet but let's not derail this.

JordanN

Banned
I really wanted an article on homeless crime, but even then, does the lack of reported crimes actually prove or dismiss the notion Japan isn't safe?

No one would say that Iraq and Japan are on the same danger levels, but why is that if we don't have police information?

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I really wanted an article on homeless crime, but even then, does the lack of reported crimes actually prove or dismiss the notion Japan isn't safe?

No one would say that Iraq and Japan are on the same danger levels, but why is that if we don't have police information?
From what I've gathered over the years is that they have a reputation to maintain. This is from speaking to random people that live in Japan or foreigners that stayed there a while. You are right that isn't nowhere as dangerous as Iraq but they have plenty of issues. This is the same nation in which people would rather starve to death than to ask others for help. The lack of stats gives them good stats, the no attorney present while being interrogated is also extremely sketchy.

I've thought about this. I would move to San Francisco, buy a fishing license/pole, and smoke weed and fish all day. Honestly seems like a good life, not sure how I would cook the fish. If I could figure out all the details I might someday try this. I probably wouldn't, cause I'd be worried that employers would not hire me when I explain "Well, I wanted to give homelessness a try so I moved to San Francisco and smoked weed and fished all day for a year. Turns out I like things that cost money and that lifestyle wasn't sustainable. Can I get a job now."

kiiltz

There is a bigger picture here.
No there isn't.

Sex crimes in Japan happen almost entirely in the workplace or on public transport, where the homeless arent. And while yes, it's a fact those crimes aren't reported, it's not a reason to tie it to other crimes like theft, and battery which is what homelessness is typically tied to.

Also consider this. If those type of crimes were being hidden then:
  • why are elementary school students are allowed to walk to school unsupervised?
  • why are bicycles and scooters typically left unlocked in the streets?
  • why is it in the rural, less wealthy parts of the country, you can find unattended shops with just a tin can to pay your money
  • why do so many tourists speak of leaving their things (like cameras) in public but not getting stolen?
  • why are there so many goddamn vending machines?

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
No there isn't.

Sex crimes in Japan happen almost entirely in the workplace or on public transport, where the homeless arent. And while yes, it's a fact those crimes aren't reported, it's not a reason to tie it to other crimes like theft, and battery which is what homelessness is typically tied to.

Also consider this. If those type of crimes were being hidden then:
  • why are elementary school students are allowed to walk to school unsupervised?
  • why are bicycles and scooters typically left unlocked in the streets?
  • why is it in the rural, less wealthy parts of the country, you can find unattended shops with just a tin can to pay your money
  • why do so many tourists speak of leaving their things (like cameras) in public but not getting stolen?
  • why are there so many goddamn vending machines?
I take It, it would be bad business if tourists would get attacked. Sort of like in Cancun people usually behave. So while I believe homeless people there aren't the same to the ones here to say that there is no crime is unbelievable. Also I have no idea what their fascination with vending machines is.

kiiltz

I take It, it would be bad business if tourists would get attacked. Sort of like in Cancun people usually behave. So while I believe homeless people there aren't the same to the ones here to say that there is no crime is unbelievable. Also I have no idea what their fascination with vending machines is.
It was a trick question, actually.

It's not "why are there so many vending machines in Japan", it's "why aren't there as many vending machines in other countries?" and it's because they're easy targets for vandalism and theft.

RE: bad business with tourists. Yes and no. There's a cultural thing where "the customer is god" but a thief, much less a homeless person has no reason to care about other people's business. Keep in mind we're talking about middle aged men and older, who are supposedly xenophobic and racist.

Also you have to consider why sexual assault happens and goes unreported, especially in the workplace, which has A LOT to do with the subservient nature of Japanese employees (incidentally, also the reason why they're all so overworked).

And so, back to my original point, they're separate issues and while I'll concede that homeless crimes may happen, it's not part of the "crimes that don't go reported" that some people would like to put it under.

lifa-cobex

-Get a puppy.
-Use puppy for sympathy whilst begging.
-Puppy grows to a dog.
-Get dog to breed with another dog to get an army of puppy's.
-Use puppy's for more sympathy.
-Eat the dog.
-Repeat.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
If you loose everything what do you do?
Survive in the street begging for Money...stealing things...suicide?

i got my medical professional title and professional card and my specialty.

so i my Ultimately it would give consultation by house as in the time of the cowboys 1800´s.

Last edited:
Never beg. Apply for a job, even the really crappy ones.

Don't steal. You could get arrested or worse case, killed.

Avoid homeless shelters. Better off finding a forest somewhere and sleep there.

Hell, I wish we could make homeless fun. Why not live like how our ancestors did millions of years ago before we had fancy cities and technology?

As long as you don't starve/dehydrate, why does it matter if you're homeless? You wont actually die from being without a house.

I'm assuming you've never been homeless, or even close to being homeless to make statements such as these. Being homeless succkkkkssss.

Last edited:
It depends on the country.

If I was in middle-America or Eastern Europe, or even mainland Europe, I would try and rough it in the wilds and go back to my hunter-gatherer ways.

If I was in the UK? I would try and land myself in prison, hopefully like 2-3 years. From there I could study, make connections and earn a degree. With the help given to reformed prisoners who want to have another crack at life, even an entry level job wouldn't be so bad. During my time in prison I would try to write a journal or a book.

After prison, I would sell my story or at least ham up my CV for when I was back on my feet and looking at a decent paid job again. All in all, I would want to go from homeless to living a decent life within five years.

kingwingin

I wouldn't survive. I look like I haven't missed a meal a day in my life, no way anyone would look at me and believe I was homeless.

Maybe just enjoy my last day in a soup kitchen with dirty Mike and the boys then kill myself.

JordanN

Banned

I'm assuming you've never been homeless, or even close to being homeless to make statements such as these. Being homeless succkkkkssss.
Isn't the entire of point of life is to avoid being destitute?
I wouldn't being waking up every day and going to work if I didn't think being homeless was a better alternative.

And if in the rare event I did happen to become homeless, why on earth wouldn't I do everything to get out of such a situation as fast as possible?

When people say it's ok to start committing crimes as a homeless person, you're basically accepting complete and total defeat. No, I'm not going to start killing and stealing from people just because I have no home. Why not beg people for a job or a place to stay instead?

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Use as many government services you can..... shelters, food banks, and if your city is big enough they also have additional services to help tidy you up for jobs.

Larger cities also have non-government places to get free stuff.

The biggest issue is probably lodging. You read articles that sometimes all the beds are full, therefore I guess you have no other choice than the streets.

Top Bottom