• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hon - Heroes of Newerth - Goes f2p / dota 2 model

Bulzeeb

Having more options makes you bored? I think you used the wrong word there, perhaps intimidated is better suited judging by the beginning of your post?

yeah, you might be right, anyways, I was bored because I was overwhelmed by so many rules and I actually sucked at denying besides, I don't plan to spend a lot of time learning that stuff as I don't really care about the competitive part of the game and I have limited time to play because on my job, casual play is my style and thats why i like lol better, not saying Dota is bad or anything like that, it is just not as casual friendly as lol

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
If people have problems moving the camera bound the camera keys to WASD and ascend to God tier like me.

I really do enjoy the WASD camera bindings, but even when I played LoL, I couldn't stand locked camera. I hate when I turned it on by mistake, then I had to look up the key to turn it back off.

I also put the map on the left side, and realized months later that it was actually the "defalut" mini-map placement in other games in the genre.

I really like the ability to push space to snap the camera to your Hero though, which is why I have "Select Hero Control Group" bound to space bar. Just have to double tap it now.

It's really not that popular, but it's still in beta so it's not really worth judging that yet.

Some Chinese Business news site recently made a 'conservative estimate' that Dota 2 should likely reach 400k concurrent players in China alone (In the context of the info the Perfect World Entertainment is looking into being the local distributor of the game)

hamchan

yeah, you might be right, anyways, I was bored because I was overwhelmed by so many rules and I actually sucked at denying besides, I don't plan to spend a lot of time learning that stuff as I don't really care about the competitive part of the game and I have limited time to play because on my job, casual play is my style and thats why i like lol better, not saying Dota is bad or anything like that, it is just not as casual friendly as lol

If you can play LoL it doesn't take that much more effort to learn Dota. There aren't really that many extra rules. It's a much more rewarding game too.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Pretty much. Once DOTA2 is open for everyone watch for the big exodus.

I am not sure how much more of an exodus HoN will have, I think they will likely keep half their current player base when Dota 2 goes open, and then it will be a more gradual change of player base. I think those who are left are the ones who do enjoy the changes.

Also, this topic does remind me, that I do wish there was a general Moba discussion topic. While it would likely be a shitfest, I would like to debate with people about the merits of changes between the diffrent games in the genre, and what new small games bring to the table.

Jader7777

Banned
I find HoN really grimey and unplesant and the community us pretty hysterical and jerky.

Also the game is riddled with random glitches throughout it's release up to the current version. The most common being texture loads or failing to rejoin games.

"pause. gotta reboot client"

Card Boy

Banned
Sold my account on Ebay for 50bucks. Game is terrible.

I feel kind of bad for S2.

I don't feel sorry for them knowing the people that work there. Just google HoN racism / homophobia and trust me it's not from the players.

Here are some beautys from the CEO himself (Maliken)

gzaYS.jpg

S5SYw.jpg

6SFUV.jpg

Gfh8q.jpg

Tekken
you start off with 10 fighters
Do around 20 fights , kill a hard as fuck boss
unlock 1 more guy
Then you have 11 fighters on your team .
No one is mad with tekken from keeping all the fighters locked away from the start.
Tourney rules - all fighters unlocked
yeah, that takes like 2 hours on 1 round low life.

bzm

Sold my account on Ebay for 50bucks. Game is terrible.

I don't feel sorry for them knowing the people that work there. Just google HoN racism / homophobia and trust me it's not from the players.

Here are some beautys from the CEO himself (Maliken)

http://i.imgur.com/gzaYS.jpg[img]
[img]http://i.imgur.com/S5SYw.jpg[img]
[img]http://i.imgur.com/6SFUV.jpg[img]
[img]http://i.imgur.com/Gfh8q.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

u missed a couple
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/FXQ31.jpg

I thought I had it saved, but couldn't find the one where some dude is complaining about lag, and diva says "get a better computer?" then maliken says "get out of brazil".

edit: i love how in that one where he gets told to chill bro, theres a dude named chillbra

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
S2 are an awful company who don't give a shit about their customers, they're only doing this as Dota is coming and even then it's far too late, I mean this is the same company who are happy to sell off regions and block players from playing with their friends.

Card Boy

Banned
I mean this is the same company who are happy to sell off regions and block players from playing with their friends.

What? Tell me more. As i said i sold my account after i was fed up with S2's shit so i may have missed some things in the past 6 months.

Ikuu

They've sold Korea, CIS, and I think Latin America to 3rd parties and having them run HoN. They also IP blocked everyone from these regions, so they can't play with people from 'main' HoN.

bzm

They've sold Korea, CIS, and I think Latin America to 3rd parties and having them run HoN. They also IP blocked everyone from these regions, so they can't play with people from 'main' HoN.

One of insured's friends (russian) was telling me he got quarantined with SEA when they did that deal with garena and it sounded horrible.
Pinoys everywhere.

Even LoL players don't use fixed cam. Aside from a few champs, even though you control just one unit you're still severely gimping yourself just like any other game in the genre.

LoL is still there to cater to the more casual players. HoN catered to the same crowd as DotA. With Valve's backing, there really won't be a place for HoN.

bzm

Even LoL players don't use fixed cam. Aside from a few champs, even though you control just one unit you're still severely gimping yourself just like any other game in the genre.

LoL is still there to cater to the more casual players. HoN catered to the same crowd as DotA. With Valve's backing, there really won't be a place for HoN.

As kirby said earlier, hons players are pretty content with hon atm, and its a reasonably sized player pool.
If they wanted to switch over to dota2 they would have already, getting into the beta isnt hard.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
It wouldn't be a MOBA without extreme trash talking.

After playing most of the Moba's, I am pretty sure that is just HoN and Dota 1. LoL has a different flavor of trash talk, and its really not as prevalent in Dota 2 yet.

Dirtie

I play DOTA2 now because everyone else is playing it, but I get so annoyed at how unresponsive it is in comparison to HoN. It's really like night and day in that respect.

You could of sold for a handsome profit last week.
Really? Why is that?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Before then, there was literally no way to easily get every hero other then buy a Legacy Account. You had to unlock them all over time, or pay huge sums of money. And some people really do like HoN, I think the path they went down is pretty shitty, but opinions and what not.

I really have no idea who thought the art style was a good idea for the game though. Zoid, I summon you to tell me. "Dota 1 is a WC3 mod, and thus Gritty and hard to tell what is going on. Lets just do that."

I may actually go and try out the game some more after this, since I do want to reevaluate a few things about the game now that I have had a good 6+ months with Dota 2.

When I did it for LoL, it was more or less the Meta is the same, the strong heroes were changed up a bunch but still not really that balanced, the no CS for supports mentality that doesn't really work well at all in pubs due to how the scaling is had gained more root (Though I will admit, a carry getting an early lead is also even more important in LoL then Dota, due to how the more expensive items are actually more cost efficient too per stat too), the community was actually worse then when I stopped playing. But, on the bright side, people clearly bought more wards then they used to.

Ikuu

It's not more unresponsive, it just has longer animations. Legacy accounts aren't worth much now as they were only really worth anything as they had all the heroes unlocked.

FoxSpirit

HoN is the best moba around =/
Really really?
The graphics are super busy and overly effect-laden and the community... *points at the attitude of the CEO*
In LoL the tribunal would have his behind very very soon.
And this attitude permeates the whole community, huge verbal abuse without consequences.

That's actually the best reason for slow unlocking, if people are invested in their accounts they will take the threat of a ban more serious.

edit: actually, there are only 2 mobas: LoL and DotA. DotA2 is DotA-advanced edition and Hon is DotA.

kagete

Hon was so buttery smooth. It's like iOS or JellyBean compared to Dota 2's Gingerbread jank. If you're high apm and are the type to notice or count frames then you will enjoy Hon since everything responds instantly and most animations are interruptable. Orb-walking and spell-canceling was so fun in that game.

Fun times, and I wish S2 the best since they need to keep up the competition and have a lot of decent employees (minus the CEO unfortunately) even though most of our favorite ones have moved on to other ventures.

skasaha

Neo Member
i was actually kind of excited for this announcement. i'm new to ARTS games (with dota2 being my first one!) and was thinking of trying other similar games. i was kind of turned off towards LoL due to all the unlocking and runes and stuff.
then this HoN announcement hits and i hop on over to Garena's website (i'm in SEA) to find out Garena HoN isn't doing this :(

dota2 forever, then! :p

Randdalf

I can't see LoL doing this because they survive on their hero model... I can see LoL stagnating though, Dota 2 is pretty much assured to overtake it as the most popular Dota-genre game in my mind. It's the superior game to LoL in practically every way and the original game has a huge Asian following which is bound to boost player numbers once it releases for real (let's not forget, Dota 2 is still technically closed, though you can buy early access).

Good on HoN for moving to this model, it's better for the players and it's better for the game.

Oh wow, may have to reinstall this now and play it for a bit.

Would be nice if riot followed suit but I see no financial incentive for why they would do such a thing.

Haven't played hon in a long time but I don't notice any delay in unit response. It must be animation delay you're talking about. For instance, if you play Earthshaker and use fissure, he takes a few seconds to pull out his totem and slam the ground. Thats the animation playing out. I've had no delays when it came to him starting the animation. I can't remember if behemoth is quicker in his fissure or not.

Person I know that plays LoL played pudge and got angry that the hook didn't come out instantly and missed his hooks on pudge. Also called the game buggy when he hooked tiny bot and then was stunned after he ulted, even though tiny's skill by design has a delayed stun. Its a foreign concept to league players, to be sure.

Dirtie

Before then, there was literally no way to easily get every hero other then buy a Legacy Account. You had to unlock them all over time, or pay huge sums of money. And some people really do like HoN, I think the path they went down is pretty shitty, but opinions and what not.
Ahh I see, I didn't realize "legacy" accounts would actually be in demand just for that. I didn't really notice a difference when it went free-to-play because I always had all the heroes (played since beta). I assume that would explain why my team mates would make terrible picks half the time?

I really have no idea who thought the art style was a good idea for the game though. Zoid, I summon you to tell me. "Dota 1 is a WC3 mod, and thus Gritty and hard to tell what is going on. Lets just do that."
Although I like the DOTA 2 art style better, I prefer the effects and animations in HoN simply because they're distinctive and obvious and follow a theme, and their sounds are appropriate and distinctive too. After playing for a while I never had much trouble knowing exactly what was going on, no complaints about it being "too busy". Just look at pyro's awesome fire dragon stun or witch slayer's gravestone stun compared to Lina and Lion, just to name a couple. The whole subtle approach from Valve left me a big learning curve in knowing what everything looks like, and I still have a bit of trouble. That combined with the delay/lag/unresponsiveness/whatever you call it makes doing my job in fights a lot harder.

Also each HoN hero/alt avatar also has a distinct theme which I liked, DOTA heroes tend to be a bit bland in comparison (but are coherent and consistent in DOTA 2 with the art style I guess). I do like what Valve have done with the context-appropriate voices though.

Edit:
This is the type of delay I'm talking about (ping usually around ~150ms which should be fine considering I'm in NZ). No such problem in HoN.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuI8p1pIAVw

Also are attack animations supposed to reset in DOTA 2 when I right-click something even though I was already attacking that thing? Does anyone else get this? I know it's kinda off-topic but it'd be nice to know.

Mechazawa

I actually completely forgot about this stupid piece of shit and the fact that the owner of the company used the term "faggy" to describe what he wanted out of it until I saw your post.

So I guess I should say, I feel bad for some of the people working there. For more than one reason, now.

Cipherr

Don't like MOBA games at all, but I love S2. Savage: BFNE Gave me hundreds of hours of fun man. I hope they are profitable through all of this.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Honestly things like this are why I dislike the communities for these games. Too elitist and unapproachable.

If you think I'm elitist, then yeah, MOBA isn't for you. Locking your camera on your character severely hampers your vision of the map and the area around you. It's pretty much like gimping yourself.

Getting used to the moving camera doesn't take long.

Valnen

If you think I'm elitist, then yeah, MOBA isn't for you. Locking your camera on your character severely hampers your vision of the map and the area around you. It's pretty much like gimping yourself.

Getting used to the moving camera doesn't take long.

Oh, it has little to do with the camera thing and more to do with your overall attitude.

Nome

So obviously I don't work at S2 anymore now that I'm with Riot, but I feel like I have to chime in here.

It's not as simple as "let's just run our own game in X region". The amount of resources needed to launch and maintain a game internationally is insane. There's a ton of governmental regulations (for example, games in China MUST be published by a Chinese company), you ideally need to have local support staff, etc. And S2 is a very small company (roughly 20 artists, around 5 programmers, 5 designers, and 10 everything-else). To say they "sold out" is baseless and ignorant.

Tomat

Hey Nome, if S2 goes under make sure you get Mercenary out of there (Mercenry JRP or something). He seems like a cool dude (if you even know him, I think he's the interface programmer).

I am aware this would pretty much be out of your hands. :(

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Yes we want to get DOTA2 IHL going and we need free hats.

Tomat

Real talk though, I think we've got a big enough prize pool between all of us for a DOTA in house.

Top Bottom