• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Honest question: why is everyone around here so obsessed with the idea of a "pro" versions of current gen consoles?

Drizzlehell

Banned
How about just sticking to the ones we already have and letting the generation run its course before having to shell out another few hundred bucks?

As for myself, I resent the idea that merely 2 or 3 years after I spent a bunch of cash on a new console, I would have to do it again just to keep up with the highest possible fidelity. Not that I care about it, though. I'm kind of a frugal gamer. I only upgrade my PCs once I stumble upon a game that is genuinely unplayable and starts to look like cat piss. I could also care less if console games start running at 30 FPS again, particularly when the price to avoid it is so high.

60 FPS is like water in that Mad Max movie anyway. Once you get addicted to it, you will resent its absence.

I prefer the idea of waiting the entire generation out instead of buying a so-called "upgraded" console halfway through. Why didn't they do it right the first time around then? Maybe if there was a way to send them back my current console for recycling or something, and get a discount on the upgraded version in return then I would be okay with that idea. But otherwise fuck that. And I will put my money where my mouth is because I never bought PS4 Pro and waited until PS5 was out before I made the jump. That's right, I played CP2077 or a regular-ass PS4, motherfucker, because that's how strong my convictions are!

But all jokes aside, I just think that it's a sleazy way for console manufacturers to get us to pay them twice for the same console. Sure the boost in performance is nice but IMO it's not worth the money. Plus it happened once before so at this point, they should just anticipate the need for a mid-gen refresh and prepare current consoles with some sort of expansion bays that you could just use to plug in a performance-boosting add-on module. Not buy the whole damn thing again.

Knightime_X

Pro versions are stupid in my opinion.
Like why even bother with getting a new console at launch when a better one is a few years away?
The less exclusives a console has the less it even matters.

By the time a pro version is out, the games you want are now cheaper and, save yourself $500+ by "upgrading" to ~10% performance boosts with a high risk of some to many games not showing any sign of improvements at all.

Skip pro and just wait for the next gen console.
It comes with last gen pro, for free.

Last edited:

Midn1ght

giphy.gif

elmos-acc

I think that we need at least one round of actual current-gen games from each first-party studio before we should start figuring out if these systems are actually powerful enough to last the entire generation. So Sucker Punch, Naughty Dog and Bend from Sony side, and at least Rare, Ninja Theory and The Initiative should release their games before the announcement of possible pro consoles.

Otherwise, we are just making the next generational jump less noticeable for no reason. I still feel like we have not seen what these consoles are actually capable of.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I don't think you're going to get the leap you got from the pro consoles last time around, especially from the One. You definitely wont be getting 4K/60/RT like some people are thinking.

Killjoy-NL

Maybe people have bad short-term memory or didn't pay attention, but iirc it was Yoshida that was talking about how the primary reason for a PS4 Pro was too boost PSVR-performance, as PS4 was struggling with the bare minimum requirements for a proper VR-experience.

Then PS4 Pro was released alongside PSVR (a month later) and MS had to release One X, which happened a year later, in order to not fall behind even more.

Somehow people got the idea that a Pro-console is now standard procedure each gen, even though Sony said this isn't necessarily the case and MS apparently having no plans this gen.

It doesn't even make sense this gen, but I'm just a random nobody going by logic, so I could easily be wrong.

In any case, there is no need for Pro-consoles this gen, imo.
But I'll buy one day 1 if Sony releases a Pro.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
if you're buying consoles for teraflops you're wasting your money. Save the money and buy the best GPU you can afford.
That doesn't help me play Wolverine to its fullest potential

I don't think you're going to get the leap you got from the pro consoles last time around, especially from the One. You definitely wont be getting 4K/60/RT like some people are thinking.
With the wizards from someone like Insomniac I don't know what we will be getting and wouldn't rule anything out

You sound just like those guys who preordered the ultimate edition of Diablo 4.
Of course I did on PC

Bryan Cranston Reaction GIF

Last edited:

Fredrik

I hate Pro consoles.

But when games are starting to drop to 30fps to not have dynamic res dropping to 1080p even before the UE5 flood gates has opened it’s time to accept that a Pro console is needed.

PC versions can solve some of these problems but some publishers want us to double dip and buy on console first so it’s not really working all the time.

diffusionx

Gold Member
That doesn't help me play Wolverine to its fullest potential

It's fullest potential is whatever it ships on. if Sony never ships PS5 Pro, you're going to be upset it doesn't launch on imaginary hardware? That's crazy.

With the wizards from someone like Insomniac I don't know what we will be getting and wouldn't rule anything out

The 4090 is struggling to run new games at those sorts of settings, and nobody thinks the PS5 Pro is going to be more powerful than a $1600 GPU. You need to be realistic here.

Last edited:

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
Some of my best experiences in gaming have been playing games that used the new hardware to do what was not possible before. Like MGS2 and GTA3. Back then a few years can make you go from PS1 to Dreamcast or NES to Megadrive. Since the PS3 the generations are longer than before and the tech is not capable of getting exponentially better like it was in the 90s and 00s. A Pro version allows for games to be better without having to wait a few years for a PC version/ a next gen patch/ remake...
The PS4 Pro was loved by their users, and same for the One X. The Switch OLED sells as much if not more than the standard version. What is wrong with wanting better than the PS5 and Series X?
Or to take the best answer in this thread:
It's worth it for us who have ZERO interest in PC gaming but still want a best in class gaming experience on their platform of choice.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
It's fullest potential is whatever it ships on. if Sony never ships PS5 Pro, you're going to be upset it doesn't launch on imaginary hardware? That's crazy.

The 4090 is struggling to run new games at those sorts of settings, and nobody thinks the PS5 Pro is going to be more powerful than a $1600 GPU. You need to be realistic here.
I am not in the least worried about the PS5 Pro being imaginary hardware

Plus I would never compare lazy unoptimized PC games to what Insomniac can do

I don't understand why the thought of a PS5 Pro bothers so many people, its not going to change the experience on the PS5

Wooxsvan

I want to maintain 60 fps as an option in as many games going forward as possible., while allowing devs the ability to increase graphical knobs. If you dont increase the hardware then devs simply cant do this with current budgets.

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Why not? I mean just cause a 4090 exists doesn't mean you have to buy it, you can stay with that 3080 if you want to, likewise nobody is forcing you to move away from the weaker console if you don't want to, but having the option there for people who are willing to pay for more performance is a good thing.

Fredrik

I just want PC ports to not be half broken on release. Ill even wait 6 months if I have to. Just make sure the games work well enough.
Late PC releases is the worst. Just means I’ll double dip or means I’ll play late on PC when the story has been spoiled.

kyussman

Enthusiast gaming forum....people like new shit.Just ignore them,the launch models will play all current gen games.Last gen I ignored the PS4 Pro,this time around I've not bothered with a console yet so at this point the Pro consoles would be more interesting to me,choice is good......games are really the issue for me though,fuck all I want to play yet.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
A pro console can't fix bad optimization. Games will perform terribly on both systems just less so on the pro. We should be holding devs accountable and telling them to take full advantage of the beast systems theyre given, instead we're spending more money for even more powerful overpriced systems.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
Because if I'm to play something on a Sony console I'd want to do so at the best level of quality possible.

If you'd rather slum it at 30fps and lower resolutions then you can still do that, nothing stopping you from doing so.
I know because I did it before. And guess what:

ill-fucking-do-it-again-ill-do-it-again.gif

Spyxos

Gold Member
Because if I'm to play something on a Sony console I'd want to do so at the best level of quality possible.

If you'd rather slum it at 30fps and lower resolutions then you can still do that, nothing stopping you from doing so.
I think you're expecting too much from the Pro console. The 30 fps games don't suddenly turn 60.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
A pro console can't fix bad optimization. Games will perform terribly on both systems just less so on the pro. We should be holding devs accountable but instead we're spending more money...
Just like my current favorite game Hell Let Loose can really bog down on my PS5 in heavy fighting, really hoping a Pro can help that

Thought not sure how much is poorly optimized for Hell Let Loose vs just 50 vs 50 on large scale maps

Mowcno

Most people on gaf seem to be against it so idk what you're talking about.

But being upset because you don't have the best money can buy so not wanting it to exist at all is ridiculous.

Options are fantastic. But for some reason there are those that want everybody to be stuck gaming on 2020 tech until 2028 because that's what they want.

Spyxos

Gold Member
In the limited history that we've had with them, in a lot of cases they do.
It remains to be seen, but the consoles won't have that much more power, unless they always rely on FS3. Or are significantly more expensive than the normal consoles.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
A pro console can't fix bad optimization. Games will perform terribly on both systems just less so on the pro. We should be holding devs accountable and telling them to take full advantage of the beast systems theyre given, instead we're spending more money for even more powerful overpriced systems.
There’s always going to be a trade off between image quality, frame rate, and resolution. That is true even for games that are optimized to the 9s like e.g. Ratchet and Clank.

What, do you think that all game would be 4K 60FPS with no compromises if only the devs weren’t so lazy?

GymWolf

Because except for the ssd, the consoles were already kinda ancient when they were released.

It is not gonna fix bad optimized games but you can bruteforce something compared to a vanilla console, and for optimized games, you are gonna play the best version available (if it doesn't release on pc).

It is clearly a luxury for enthusiast players, not something that the average player give 2 fucks about.

Last edited:
Top Bottom