• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Honest question: why is everyone around here so obsessed with the idea of a "pro" versions of current gen consoles?

Perrott

Gold Member
Anyone who doesn't get the point of a Pro console, especially during this particular console generation, should shut their mouth and not voice any opinion on the matter, because their viewpoint is completely uneducated.

Trilobit

I understand for people who have waited three-four years before buying that they'd want something upgraded, but I prefer when the upgrades are mostly cosmetical like DS Lite or PS2 Slim. I feel like a console should have the same power throughout its life so that the developers focus just on one version instead of several. In that respect I think Nintendo made the right choice with the Switch. It now allows them to create a generational leap with Switch 2.

Zuzu

Dunno might as well build a pc.

I disagree. The PS5 Pro will most likely be cheaper than an equivalently specced PC so the value proposition will be with the Pro.

Also the people who want a PS5 Pro also want the perks of console gaming so getting a PC won’t meet their needs in that area. The perks of console gaming may include: a more convenient experience using it with a TV, easier software maintenance, the option to use physical media, sometimes better local multiplayer and easier to set up multiple machines for multiplayer sessions in the same house, online multiplayer with friends who own consoles, day 1 exclusives, better integration with Sony’s peripherals like the Dualsense Edge, PSVR2 and Portal etc.

Last edited:

ZoukGalaxy

Anyone who doesn't get the point of a Pro console, especially during this particular console generation, should shut their mouth and not voice any opinion on the matter, because their viewpoint is completely uneducated.
Coming to a worldwide forum, a place to share opinions and discuss, to say to others "shut you mouth and don't voice any opinion because you're completely uneducated"
hPs3M0w.gif

Actual totally educated person xxX_G4m3R_Xxx from first world needing a "Pro/Max/+/whatever"
PmIvcHq.jpg

Last edited:

Perrott

Gold Member
I don't understand it either. Games will still be dragged down by the Series S.

One X and PS4 Pro had their use for a very limited amount of games that were almost unplayable at the end of the generation, even though sometimes they weren't even doing much better (like Control on PS4 Pro).

It's a neverending logic but i guess if you have money and are fascinated by new hardwares..
Bullshit, a weaker hardware won't prevent a game from operating at higher resolutions, higher and steadier framerates and with richer visuals on a more powerful device.

Sure, the Series S is holding back game design, but certainly not the visual ceiling.

Was the Xbox One X dragged down by the One S last generation? Absolutely fucking not. In fact, the One X went on to fulfill its 4K promise by rendering even the most graphically demanding games (Red Dead Redemption 2, The Division 2, Anthem) at a native 4K resolution.

Perrott

Gold Member
Coming to a forum, a place to share opinions and discuss, to say to others "shut you mouth and don't voice any opinion because you're completely uneducated"
Anyone who doesn't see the point of Pro consoles in this generation objectively has no fucking clue of hardware in general and of videogames on a basic technical level.

You disagree? Check the resolution at which some of the biggest games of this year (exclusives, multiplatform, I don't care) are rendered in their quality modes, or the unsteadiness of their perfomance modes even at sub-1080p resolutions.

You don't see the problem in current-gen games failing to reach the resolution and framerate standards set by the previous generation of consoles? Then you don't get to participate in these discussions due to your ignorance regarding these topics.

I dislike the idea of a pro version, simply because it will be limited by design. It’s like the Xbox Series X and Series S. The X is practically the Pro version, and since the S can only get you so far in terms of technology, the X has to polish what is posible in the S, but it cannot make a leap.

Games that are cross platform suffer too.

A PS5 Pro will be limited to what is already capable in the PS5. I rather wait for the PS6 and have it run Backwards compatible. Sony did a great job with the PS5 launch by having PS4 games run and load faster.

Meicyn

Gold Member
Bought the PS4 Pro, sold the PS4 to pay for the bulk of the expense. Bought a PS5, sold the PS4 Pro which paid for the bulk of the expense. Will do the same when (if) the PS5 Pro debuts.

I dunno, paying around $100 or less for incremental upgrades every 3-4 years isn’t too shabby, especially since compatibility is maintained.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
How about just sticking to the ones we already have and letting the generation run its course before having to shell out another few hundred bucks?

As for myself, I resent the idea that merely 2 or 3 years after I spent a bunch of cash on a new console, I would have to do it again just to keep up with the highest possible fidelity. Not that I care about it, though. I'm kind of a frugal gamer. I only upgrade my PCs once I stumble upon a game that is genuinely unplayable and starts to look like cat piss. I could also care less if console games start running at 30 FPS again, particularly when the price to avoid it is so high.

60 FPS is like water in that Mad Max movie anyway. Once you get addicted to it, you will resent its absence.

I prefer the idea of waiting the entire generation out instead of buying a so-called "upgraded" console halfway through. Why didn't they do it right the first time around then? Maybe if there was a way to send them back my current console for recycling or something, and get a discount on the upgraded version in return then I would be okay with that idea. But otherwise fuck that. And I will put my money where my mouth is because I never bought PS4 Pro and waited until PS5 was out before I made the jump. That's right, I played CP2077 or a regular-ass PS4, motherfucker, because that's how strong my convictions are!

But all jokes aside, I just think that it's a sleazy way for console manufacturers to get us to pay them twice for the same console. Sure the boost in performance is nice but IMO it's not worth the money. Plus it happened once before so at this point, they should just anticipate the need for a mid-gen refresh and prepare current consoles with some sort of expansion bays that you could just use to plug in a performance-boosting add-on module. Not buy the whole damn thing again.
True. If they ditched the PS4 and XB1 versions of games (and reduce features on the XS) and focus ONLY on the 'next' gen hardware, the games would probably look and perform great. But they mostly are chasing the $$$$ by selling to the older console owners (bigger install base) but sacrificing quality in the process.

Sanepar

Console generations are now stupidly long so yes, I will buy the pro console. My phone is worth like 3 PS5s and people swap those every year.
Console generations should last 4-5 years max. 7 years is too much.
I don't want understand why console players are so obsessed with people have options. Why people bother so much if someone will play on a better hw?

Skifi28

The best thing about pro consoles is they're optional. All new games will also work on your current console. Why not let those that want to spend money for better visuals/performance do it? If you're happy with how current games look and perform, you don't have to spend a penny.

How about just sticking to the ones we already have and letting the generation run its course before having to shell out another few hundred bucks?

As for myself, I resent the idea that merely 2 or 3 years after I spent a bunch of cash on a new console, I would have to do it again just to keep up with the highest possible fidelity. Not that I care about it, though. I'm kind of a frugal gamer. I only upgrade my PCs once I stumble upon a game that is genuinely unplayable and starts to look like cat piss. I could also care less if console games start running at 30 FPS again, particularly when the price to avoid it is so high.

60 FPS is like water in that Mad Max movie anyway. Once you get addicted to it, you will resent its absence.

I prefer the idea of waiting the entire generation out instead of buying a so-called "upgraded" console halfway through. Why didn't they do it right the first time around then? Maybe if there was a way to send them back my current console for recycling or something, and get a discount on the upgraded version in return then I would be okay with that idea. But otherwise fuck that. And I will put my money where my mouth is because I never bought PS4 Pro and waited until PS5 was out before I made the jump. That's right, I played CP2077 or a regular-ass PS4, motherfucker, because that's how strong my convictions are!

But all jokes aside, I just think that it's a sleazy way for console manufacturers to get us to pay them twice for the same console. Sure the boost in performance is nice but IMO it's not worth the money. Plus it happened once before so at this point, they should just anticipate the need for a mid-gen refresh and prepare current consoles with some sort of expansion bays that you could just use to plug in a performance-boosting add-on module. Not buy the whole damn thing again.
why would you need to return your console for recycling when you can just sell it to someone else?

Fbh

I mean you are in a gaming forum, so you'll naturally find a higher density of enthusiasts that do care about things like framerate, resolution and graphics.
If you don't mind 30fps and/or potentially playing games at sub 1080p resolution in 2024 (and onwards) then you probably aren't the target audience of the Pro consoles and there's nothing wrong with sticking with the base PS5 (like most people will). Ps4 pro didn't turn the regular Ps4 into a bad system, if anything the base Ps4 has remained as a solid gaming machine running even newer games like GOW Ragnarok at a respectable 1080p and (almost) locked 30fps.

Personally I'm interested in one because I do like 60fps and I don't want to play games in upscaled 720p-900p to get it. I didn't buy a nice OLED TV to play stuff with the terrible image quality of something like FFXVI in performance mode.
Now, if it were up to me I'd rather just have devs scale back the graphics to the point that their games can run at, say, 1440p 60fps on a regular Ps5. But since that's likely not going to happen the 2 options are a more powerful system or just accepting low res or bad performance.

Last edited:

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Drizzlehell Drizzlehell you're getting good at making thread titles that drive engagement. My knee-jerk reaction was: "EVERYONE?! I'm certainly not obsessed with Pro consoles and let me tell you why..." lol

Facebook, hire this man

But for real, I bought a PS5 around launch and Sony hasn't put out enough exclusives to warrant an upgrade to a Pro day one. I'll wait and see how it shakes out and if it's worth it.

My PC with a 3080 is still a "semi-Pro" experience for cross-platforms at this point, so I can wait.

MadPanda

Banned
Because there aren't enough current Gen only games which justify these new consoles so people wrongly think it's about their strength.

Killjoy-NL

Why?
It’s an excellent way to breath new life into a gen, and I can easily afford it since it’s still console priced.

Mid gen refreshes are brilliant
New life?

We only just now reached the 2nd wave of current-gen games.
Maybe even the first proper wave of current-gen games, depending on how you look at it.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

And what a wave it has been, 720p and still with performance issues.
Sony seems to be doing fine, although it's been mostly cross-gen games so far.

Spider-Man 2 seems to be the first proper current-gen game out of their studios with RT in even performance mode and making good use of the loading-speed of PS5.

Last edited:

Skifi28

Spider-Man 2 seems to be the first proper current-gen game out of their studios with RT in even performance mode and making good use of the loading-speed of PS5.
Yeah, Insomniac seems to be one of the few studios that knows what they're doing technically. Every UE5 multiplatform game that is coming soon...may god have mercy on our souls.

Raven117

This go around feels especially stupid.

They haven't even utlized the full potential of the BASE console. Let alone a Pro.

I'll likely sit this one out.

Skifi28

I'm convinced that those against pro models can't afford them and don't want to be left behind at the same time.
Same.

1) If you don't feel pro consoles are needed, then you are happy staying as you are. You are not affected.
2) If you are not satisfied with how current games look/perform, then you understand why pro consoles are needed.

The only people with legit reason to complain about optional harware are those with self-control issues that need to buy the latest and greatest because otherwise they feel inferior. That is a personal issue though, seek help if you belong in that group instead of taking it out on us.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
I dislike the idea of a pro version, simply because it will be limited by design. It’s like the Xbox Series X and Series S. The X is practically the Pro version, and since the S can only get you so far in terms of technology, the X has to polish what is posible in the S, but it cannot make a leap.

Games that are cross platform suffer too.

A PS5 Pro will be limited to what is already capable in the PS5. I rather wait for the PS6 and have it run Backwards compatible. Sony did a great job with the PS5 launch by having PS4 games run and load faster.
Yeah, at first I was kinda on board with the idea of cross-gen transition because it meant that all the stuff that I got on PS4 is still playable on a new console (huge plus, should be a thing with every generation tbh), but on the other hand, it feels like they're just taking those baby steps instead of making an actual generational leap. A new console should just be a new console with its own dedicated library. It would still be great to retain backwards compatibility but with new hardware we should be getting new games that push the new tech instead of being held back because devs need to make them work on both old and new.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
I'm convinced that those against pro models can't afford them and don't want to be left behind at the same time.
I'm convinced that those who brag about having money and spending it recklessly have tiny dicks and feel like they need to compensate for it.

See? I can also make wild assumptions.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Some just don't care about that extra performance as talking to people over the last few months I know a lot that can afford it and wont buy it and it seems a lot just do not want to support that kind of model of new consoles every 3-4 years

I on the other hand would buy one every other year given the chance

To each their own

S0ULZB0URNE

If you think that another Pro generation won't have a wider impact on how games are going to be made and how much worse they'll be to play on the older versions of the console then you must be delusional. This won't be a situation where some people would benefit while the rest of us stay where we are. There are plenty of examples of games that ran like crap on base PS4 compared to their Pro counterparts because developers kept pushing the graphics to the point where it was getting too much for the older hardware, and optimization was clearly not a priority in those cases.
I don't care about people who can't upgrade feelings.
It's not our or other potential Pro consumers fault if you can't get a Pro.

Options are always good 👍

Amen dude!

It's seemed to have caused a bit of disappointment regarding graphics this gen.

I think it's makes sense if you're coming into the generation late and skip the base model.

But buying the base model and the pro yeah not for me.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It's crazy.
People have been talking about pro since day1.
I just think they want to be pc gamers. Just go and get a pc.

We already lost with smartphones. 1000-1500$ smartphones each year with minimal upgrades.
What do you think will happen to consoles in the future with pro craze? Pro? pro ultra, pro max?
And contrary to what everyone is thinking, no. You don't need pro for 60fps. It will just move the goalpost and make devs life harder

simpatico

Because devs have forgotten how to make games that run well on the console they're making them for. They know the spec going on, but end up having to drop the internal res to 541p and turn off v sync. I have no idea why they just don't develop for the systems they're launching on. I think everyone in the industry didn't understand why COD became as successful as it did. 60fps was a mandate for the entire development. Any feature that dropped the frame rate got cut. There was a nice GI article during the original COD4:MW release where they really talked about this. Now the COD buying public didn't know the framerate was why it felt so good, they just knew it felt good. Big publishers would go and hire someone to make a game like Homefront with a carbon copy of CODs MP features, but the game ran at 25fps with screen tearing. Totally missed the point.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I personally don't understand the want or desire for a pro console this generation when a lot of the releases feel pretty.... lacking. But, to each their own I suppose. I think a lot of it may be fomo, but if you're the type of person that players every game and then some and you need some more space and don't wanna do anything on your own, I guess that makes sense.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Because devs have forgotten how to make games that run well on the console they're making them for. They know the spec going on, but end up having to drop the internal res to 541p and turn off v sync. I have no idea why they just don't develop for the systems they're launching on. I think everyone in the industry didn't understand why COD became as successful as it did. 60fps was a mandate for the entire development. Any feature that dropped the frame rate got cut. There was a nice GI article during the original COD4:MW release where they really talked about this. Now the COD buying public didn't know the framerate was why it felt so good, they just knew it felt good. Big publishers would go and hire someone to make a game like Homefront with a carbon copy of CODs MP features, but the game ran at 25fps with screen tearing. Totally missed the point.
yep. Many devs just use console as low-mid spec pc. It can be that but it can also be SO MUCH MORE.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
It's crazy.
People have been talking about pro since day1.
I just think they want to be pc gamers. Just go and get a pc.

We already lost with smartphones. 1000-1500$ smartphones each year with minimal upgrades.
What do you think will happen to consoles in the future with pro craze? Pro? pro ultra, pro max?
And contrary to what everyone is thinking, no. You don't need pro for 60fps. It will just move the goalpost and make devs life harder
For me and many others getting a PC doesn't help with PS day one releases on the horizon

Give me some extra juice for those

And I am one of those who buy a smartphone almost every year though I skipped the iPhone 14 last year but already have my 15 Pro Max

Some just don't care about that extra performance as talking to people over the last few months I know a lot that can afford it and wont buy it and it seems a lot just do not want to support that kind of model of new consoles every 3-4 years

I on the other hand would buy one every other year given the chance

To each their own

Then don't buy it...
Makes as much sense as your "theory"
Does it though?

Top Bottom