• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hong Kong Action Cinema OT Lots of YouTube Videos and Lots of Corpses

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrayFoxPL

Haha, Sleeping Dogs also got me thinking about HK cinema. Most of my exposure to HK cinema is Wong-Kar Wai, but I have some of the more famous HK action movies (Hardboiled, The Killer etc.). Are there any other good crime dramas that aren't necessarily crazy action flicks, something closer to Infernal Affairs?

Dante Lam movies, lately:

Beast Stalker

Stool Pigeon

Those have interesting experiment. Both star the same main actors Nicholas Tse and Nick Cheung, but their roles in society are switched up in the second movie. It's deliberate.

No, those movies don't share the story.

Punished is also pretty cool new thriller.

harSon

Banned
Half hour in and this seems awful. Is the gun play all going to so goofy?

We can't be friends.

Edit: I've been watching a lot of Hong Kong cinema too. Thank God for Asian owned mom and pop video stores, the one by me has a shit ton of 80s/90s Hong Kong films for rent. I've watched Hard Boiled, A Better Tomorrow, City on Fire and A Chinese Odyssey so far.

Timbuktu

I have to admit that i found Exiled a bit too stylized compared with The Mission.

Speaking of Infernal Affairs, i guess the most direct successors would be Overheard I and II

overheard_1024X768.jpg

They are even on a roof in the poster.

Otherwise, talking about Sleeping Dogs... the recent Motorway has great car scenes.
I also really like One nite in Mongkok, a shame we don't have an actual mongkok in the game

220px-One-Nite-in-Mongkok.jpg

I miss the days when i looked forward to Derek Yee's movies.

Munin

In October there's a movie hitting the cinemas that Andy Lau has proclaimed will be the new standard for HK thrillers after Infernal Affairs.

Cold War

It's supposed to have a really fantastic script, but the directors are first timers.

Awesome, got the Hong Kong Godfather DVD today.

51iVyaKgGzL.jpg

Beardy was so awesome

That is one of my favorite movies of all time. I feel in love with it even when it was just the old cut to hell Taiwanese print. It's SO FUCKING GOOD. Also as mentioned when Beardy reads the paper you see big ads for Rambo First Blood Part II, that's how boss this movie is, when characters read the paper it's about Rambo!

Darklord

Banned
I love Hong Kong action movies but I HATE the dubbing they put in it. I don't want to hear fucking god awful English dubbing. Give me subtitles! So many don't have it when I check it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom