• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Forbidden West - PS4 and PS5 Differences Explained

Rea

"Horizon Zero Dawn on PC will look better than Horizon Forbidden West on PS5."
homer simpson crow GIF

skit_data

I like the fact that ray-tracing is finally not considered the main selling point of these consoles anymore.

It’s cool and useful, but all of a sudden it’s like everyone realizes the included/not included ray tracing techniques in a game doesn’t actually make the game more/less graphically impressive based on wether or not we know it uses ray-tracing or not.

I mean if DF can’t see if it’s using ray tracing we can conclude that it’s not the single metric to use when deciding a games graphical prowess

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Well, if you are developing for several platforms the lowest common denominator will unavoidably be your lead platform unless you want a bad case of the Cyberpunk 2077 sickness
Makes Mark Cerny's presentation on last gen holding back gaming and the positives of the SSD and IO being a game changer even more painful. Horizon and God Of War are going to suffer drastically.

emivita

Since the development started on PS4, I'm sure it will play and look just fine on PS4 and even more on PS4 Pro, PS5 version only makes sense for the 60 fps mode. HZD looked astounding on PS4 Pro at 1800p/30 fps, so FW there will be on par graphically, if not better.

skit_data

Makes Mark Cerny's presentation on last gen holding back gaming and the positives of the SSD and IO being a game changer even more painful. Horizon and God Of War are going to suffer drastically.
Oh yes, no doubt about it

But then again, if we truly want to have games developed specifically for PS5 we also have to tell Guerilla Games, Sony Santa Monica and Polyphony:

”Hey guys, yeah you know all the work you spent years to fit your latest game onto that spinning platter shit, yeah you can go ahead and throw that in the dumpster and start over”

It’s very understandable they have kept teams going developing games before the hardware was finalized, otherwise we would be a situation similar to previous generations-almost no games until halfway into the gen.

Or even worse, having games release only on previous gen hardware like God of War 2 and Gran Turismo 6.

scydrex

Only graphics and fps for the Ps5 version. What about AI. What about physics. What about streaming? The jaguar cpu is crap. It was bad in 2013 now is worse. So the PS5 SSD will be used only for loading? What about designing a game with the IO and SSD on mind and games with different mechanics or world design? We beliece in generation.... yeah right.

Last edited:
It's not. People shouldn't expect any games being like UE5 this generation. That entails a LOT of R&D for their custom engines and trying to make content quickly to get sales from the millions of PS4 players is top priority. We'd be lucky if we get a small handful of games near the end of the generation using something similar to Nanite.
Just like it took until the end of the PS4 before we got PBR?

Defrop

Banned
Are there any noticeable differences between the PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5 versions of the game? Has this cross-generation development process proven to be limiting in any way?

Mathijs de Jonge: On the PlayStation 5, we can add so much more detail graphically. We can see the tiny hairs on Aloy’s face, for example. You can also see a ton of detail from far away.

I don't think many people notice in the demo, but you could see moss growing on the rocks. On the PlayStation 5, each individual strand of moss is rendered individually. So this machine is so powerful, and it can add so much more detail to the image. I think that's one of the biggest deltas, next to the processing power of the machine. We also use it for a specific lighting rig. This is a cinematic lighting rig that we normally only have time to use in cinematics. Because the PlayStation 5 is so much more powerful, we have it on all the time. During gameplay, there's a very high-quality rendering and lighting system on a lot. So there are all these extra features that make the game look even better.
How are you making use of the console’s ray tracing tech?

Mathijs de Jonge:
We use ray tracing technology for a lot of things in the game. We use it for the sound engine, for the physics and for the rendering. So we use a variety of technical setups, in terms of ray tracing.

DapperSloth

Are they basically saying that it is a PS4 game, with some minor tweaks for PS5? (perhaps stuff that was tried on PS4, but then dropped due to lack of GPU beef)

That's because you haven't seen GOTY edition (ok, by fans only, so far):

3OXnXyJ.jpg

seriously, isn't this gold?

Who is this guy? It reminds me of some actor maybe lol?

GymWolf

Aloy became a depressed alcoholic in 1 year?
More like 6 months.
she looks like a plastic doll on the ps4 version. glad guerilla is finally upping their character model game
Does she?!
fh1s47lkb4r21.jpg
af1f3f40a1ecfe524220ef7343ee51ab.jpg

That's a low res pic, she has excellent skin render and details for a 2017 open world protagonist, you just need some zoom and high enough resolution to notice them.

Are they basically saying that it is a PS4 game, with some minor tweaks for PS5? (perhaps stuff that was tried on PS4, but then dropped due to lack of GPU beef)

That's because you haven't seen GOTY edition (ok, by fans only, so far):

3OXnXyJ.jpg

seriously, isn't this gold?
Getting some Eastbound and Down vibes here! 🤣

mckmas8808

Banned
The photo mode in Control is identical visually to gameplay and unlocked the framerate which is why they used it as an 'academic' benchmark. It's not like Miles Morales photo mode that swaps in higher fidelity assets and allows for additional effects and lighting. Cinematics are usually bullshots across all games running them in-engine.

They aren't bullshots. Running them in-engine does mean something. If it didn't, every games cinematics would look like the best Pixar movies of today.

VFXVeteran

Banned
I like the fact that ray-tracing is finally not considered the main selling point of these consoles anymore.

It’s cool and useful, but all of a sudden it’s like everyone realizes the included/not included ray tracing techniques in a game doesn’t actually make the game more/less graphically impressive based on wether or not we know it uses ray-tracing or not.

That is objectively not true. So far, we've seen a struggle with developers on harnessing the true power of RT. Whether it's because their graphics engines only implement 1 feature that's not really visually superior like reflections or because they haven't had time to implement it fully into their engines (like Metro EE).

A few years from now, you will all realize how RT's benefits can be fully seen.

Codes 208

But will the water look better than sea of thieve?

though the bit of using the cinematic lighting at all times sounds pretty sweet

skit_data

That is objectively not true. So far, we've seen a struggle with developers on harnessing the true power of RT. Whether it's because their graphics engines only implement 1 feature that's not really visually superior like reflections or because they haven't had time to implement it fully into their engines (like Metro EE).

A few years from now, you will all realize how RT's benefits can be fully seen.
I meant to emphasize the latter part of the sentence you highlighted, I’m not saying ray tracing does not produce better results. I probably could’ve expressed more clearly.

What I mean is that a game does not become graphically more impressive based solely on wether we know or do not know if its utilizing ray tracing, because sometimes that’s the way people seem to talk about it

One game developer states it’s using ray tracing = Good looking game

One game developer has not stated wether it’s using it or not = Not good looking game

I’m not saying ray tracing is not making the same game look better than the same game not using ray tracing. It does and is way more accurate.

I came to think about it when it came to Horizon FW specifically, because there was a ”But it’s not using ray tracing”-narrative going on a couple of days ago after DFs analysis and now that it’s been stated it is indeed uses some form of ray tracing (not necessarily for anything obviously graphics related) it does kinda make the whole ”does it use ray tracing?” question more nuanced.

TLDR; Our knowledge of wether it utilizes raytracing or not shouldn’t negatively/positively impact our judgement. The technique has the impact, not how much developers choose to disclose.

GymWolf

But will the water look better than sea of thieve?

though the bit of using the cinematic lighting at all times sounds pretty sweet
I sincerely doubt it, water is like the only graphical saving grace for that game.

The underwater sections in H2 are gonna look 10x times better tho.

Also completely different art styles and situations (open sea against lakes and shit)

Last edited:
Top Bottom