• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Online confirmed to be expanding the story of the Horizon Universe

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
hmm I wonder how it sold 20 million copies! that's as much as Spider man and God Of War it's amazing how a new IP out of nowhere manage to do th-

oh yeah

7e7jprH.jpeg

Trophy tracker tells the story you need to know, Horizon Forbidden West's first trophy is a non-missable one which you unlock by default after a 30 minute ish or so intro, only 55% of Horizon players unlocked it which is shockingly low and almost a record by itself for a story/narrative game.

Compared to God Of War Ragnarok's 85% for the first non-missable trophy also 30 minutes into the game.

Not forced at all, totally organic, it sold 5M copies in it's release year then mysteriously "sold" another 5M on the dot on average for 2018, 2019 and 2020. That's rockstar level consistency.

Horizon Forbidden West could sell 50 million copies if Sony really wanted to do by giving it away for free with every PS5 sold from now on, completely meaningless figures, but they have to pump it out the live service is coming and then the movie/hbo series whatever the hell they're working on, the definition of a forced marketed IP.

I have never seen any other game thats bundled so much before

nowhat

Hopefully are just sidestories, i don't wanna be forced to play a multyplayer game to understand the plot of horizon 3.

Maybe it's just like factions 2 where you only have other survivors stories.
I've said it before and I'll say it again - while I'm not into multiplayer that much or at all, taking down a Horus with many other players could be really epic. But hopefully as a separate spin-off.

...as a matter of fact, why couldn't this be a spin-off about what happened before the first game? A bunch of "totally not space marines" fighting an ever-growing horde of Faro robots, FPS style? It wouldn't be my thing, but I think many people would be interested in it.

Unknown?

I think that's a fair point and looking at the image it was my first thought to, but the trophy data on the other hand suggests that there is an issue with the number if people who actually played the included game compared to other similair bundled titles.
God of War is an outlier though, most games don't get that high of trophy completion. If you look at many major popular games, a lot of people don't even complete it or don't do much past starting the game.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Colin from LastStand made a good point about this, Horizon is an amazing game, but Sony are giving it the MCU treatment, turning into several different spin-offs, series and games. It'll have a drastic impact on the quality of the games moving forward especially in terms of story-telling which Horizon excels at.

We're hit with MCU rubbish every 6 months.

We're hit with Horizon stuff every 3.44 years.

If it's good, it's good. We're not even close to approaching franchise fatigue. Hell, Call of Duty isn't even close to hitting that wall.

Colin was wrong.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
God of War is an outlier though, most games don't get that high of trophy completion. If you look at many major popular games, a lot of people don't even complete it or don't do much past starting the game.

So in other words all these bundle games are simply there to claim that the games are huge sales success even though a majority don't even play them?

For example

Has 87.7% for a similair achievement.

Even redfall has 86.2% I don't think these first 30 minute achievements are outliers outside the low bundled games ones.

This suggests that these huge sale success, are not much of a success really outside of forcing people to get them with the console they actually want.

Last edited:

Unknown?

So in other words all these bundle games are simply there to claim that the games are huge sales success even though a majority don't even play them?

For example

Has 87.7% for a similair achievement.

Even redfall has 86.2% I don't think these first 30 minute achievements are outliers outside the low bundled games ones.

This suggests that these huge sale success, are not much of a success really outside of forcing people to get them with the console they actually want.
I was talking about high selling games, not necessarily ones that are bundled. A lot of people buy games because they are popular but don't play them because of backlog or any other various reasons.

In order for someone's trophy list to even include the game, they need to install it and play it once. God of War could have 80%, doesn't mean 100% of people who bought it or had it bundled even played it.

I think that is going to be a different game -- currently being co-developed by NCSoft and Guerrilla's Exteranl Dev team.

This one, being internally developed by Guerrilla, is a multiplayer game, similar to Monster Hunster.

I'm interested in seeing how they differentiate the MP game with the MMORPG one.

If it's like Monster Hunter then it has the potential of being really good.

I actually feel like a Monster Hunter game in Horizon's world would be epic. I just hope it doesn't end up with shitty Fortnite art direction or choc full of MTXs or gatcha BS.

TheHolyGhost

Neo Member
In most of those bundles it has another game packed in too but none of those games sold like Horizon.

Also you posted bundles with Spider-Man despite acting like that was any different.
Nothing wrong with bundling games, Spider Man 2 is also going to have a bundle in the upcoming release, it's normal and most consoles do it. Xbox and Starfield will be no different

but the amount of Bundles they pushed with Horizon screams forced and backs up the sales figures, you don't just sell ~5 million in your first year just to sell an average of another 5 million for the three years after, combined with low trophy percentages it paints the full picture that the overwhelming amount of sales came from discounted bundle deals, tells me people gave it a go and dropped it before even getting to the first achievement point because why not try out the free game that came with your console? Spiderman and GOW both dont follow the sales trends or trophy trends, their majority sales come from the first year for example. Ragnarok was at 11m copies sold in 3 months, it's probably around 13.5-15M by now nearing the 1 year mark.

Gojiira

Ngl people shitting on this before even seeing it are just ridiculous. Think about the ORIGINAL PITCH for Horizon, they wanted a game where you had town hubs, could accept quests, so far what you expect. But originally they intended for you to be able to ‘carve’ parts off of the machines to collect and then use for crafting Armour and Weapons, sound familiar? Originally they wanted a more Monster Hunter-like gameplay loop. So IF, and its a BIG IF, the online game brings back these kinds of mechanics then it could be incredible, Horizon has a really polished engine, great animations etc, expanding the gameplay and systems for multiplayer seems like a logical next step.
Either way, we’ll see…

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
If it's like Monster Hunter then it has the potential of being really good.

I actually feel like a Monster Hunter game in Horizon's world would be epic. I just hope it doesn't end up with shitty Fortnite art direction or choc full of MTXs or gatcha BS.
Horizon's concept actually started as a Monster Hunter game that was later scrapped for some reason and became a single-player story campaign. I do agree, Horizon's gameplay is off-the-charts fantastic. If they can turn it into a satisfying multiplayer gameplay loop, that'd be very fun.

Unfortunately, they are going for that cartoonish artstyle to ensure the longevity of the game. I think they would like to release it for PC, PS5, PS4, and Mobile all at the same time - much like Genshin Impact. Realistic Horizon-level graphics would limit their platforms and reach.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
hmm I wonder how it sold 20 million copies! that's as much as Spider man and God Of War it's amazing how a new IP out of nowhere manage to do th-

oh yeah

7e7jprH.jpeg

Trophy tracker tells the story you need to know, Horizon Forbidden West's first trophy is a non-missable one which you unlock by default after a 30 minute ish or so intro, only 55% of Horizon players unlocked it which is shockingly low and almost a record by itself for a story/narrative game.

Compared to God Of War Ragnarok's 85% for the first non-missable trophy also 30 minutes into the game.

Not forced at all, totally organic, it sold 5M copies in it's release year then mysteriously "sold" another 5M on the dot on average for 2018, 2019 and 2020. That's rockstar level consistency.

Horizon Forbidden West could sell 50 million copies if Sony really wanted to do by giving it away for free with every PS5 sold from now on, completely meaningless figures, but they have to pump it out the live service is coming and then the movie/hbo series whatever the hell they're working on, the definition of a forced marketed IP.
Oh c'mon. The game was decent and sold well because it was first party. Packins, discounts etc just helped, people still liked it, others bought it on PC. I am up for the sequel.

But no fucking way am I touching any online bullshit. The online FoMMO shit is fucking awful. I played Fallout Online this past winter because I knew there was some good Single player shit in there, but the online ruins it. I game to relax and have fun, not to have unsubtle sales pitches thrown at me.

Pelta88

What a waste of money, time and talent.

With 2 games selling 32.7 million units. Multiple Awards for Guerilla devs. And the IP being popular outside of the game sphere before the TV show (already stacked with production talent) airing...

I think it's safe to say you're wrong. Utterly and completely wrong.

Last edited:
Horizon's concept actually started as a Monster Hunter game that was later scrapped for some reason and became a single-player story campaign. I do agree, Horizon's gameplay is off-the-charts fantastic. If they can turn it into a satisfying multiplayer gameplay loop, that'd be very fun.

Unfortunately, they are going for that cartoonish artstyle to ensure the longevity of the game. I think they would like to release it for PC, PS5, PS4, and Mobile all at the same time - much like Genshin Impact. Realistic Horizon-level graphics would limit their platforms and reach.

Would it really though?

If, say, they targeted PS4-level base performance, they should be able to scale down for mobile and up for PS5 and high-end PC. The O.G. Horizon:ZD launched on the PS4, so they could maintain the same semi-realistic art style and just adjust the graphical settings to suit each platform.

You don't need a shitty cartoony art style for that. And a cartoony art style that is visually offensive would also limit the game's reach.

Last edited:
Forbidden West would be a ton of fun in co-op so if they can manage to keep a similar art style to the main games I think this will be awesome.

There is footage of the alpha build for one of these Horizon multiplayer titles that looks a little fortnite-ish. Hopefully looks closer to Sea of Thieves though if they go for more cartoony graphics.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

The first Horizon sold well on its own merits too, but was indeed bloated by pack ins. I remember trading in my PS4 for a Pro, and if you did it you got a free copy of Horizon. This was in Spring 2017, not too long after its launch. The game was also discounted around that time, I managed to sell it for just 25.

Forbidden West I am not too sure about though. The game came out at around the same time as Elden Ring, and Sony initially didn't disclose any sales figures which is never good. I think in the UK it was 35% below Zero Dawn's debut? One year later they come out and claim 8 million copies sold. So yeah.

What the **** is up with developers shoving story into multiplayer games? NOBODY ASKED FOR THIS!
So you want more of the same, endlessly? One of the major appealing factors to TLOU, Horizon etc is the narrative.
There are plenty of games out there that don’t bother with this so people should just play those instead if they hate them so much.

midnightAI

What the **** is up with developers shoving story into multiplayer games? NOBODY ASKED FOR THIS!
Surely that depends on the type of multiplayer?

Multiplayer games that can also be played solo, eg. Destiny, thrive off the story/lore. This will most likely be in a similar vein, multiplayer with RPG elements that can be played solo, nothing wrong with that if you ask me and opens the game up to a much larger audience.

Some people just haven't experienced the damage that GaaS games can do. You can get addicted them and actually stop playing other games. When I was addicted to Destiny 2 I wasn't playing anything else, and it went on for years. A lot of the guardians I talked to while playing said it was the only game they play.

Imagine if tons of players stopped playing all other games and just stuck with an online service game. Not buying new games anymore. They're just complete shit.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
This is a good IP to turn into something online, I like the idea

It's a Great IP to do this with. They just need to be careful.

oh yeah

7e7jprH.jpeg

You Are Wrong No GIF by Film Riot

hemo memo

Gold Member
With 2 games selling 32.7 million units. Multiple Awards for Guerilla devs. And the IP being popular outside of the game sphere before the TV show (already stacked with production talent) airing...

I think it's safe to say you're wrong. Utterly and completely wrong.
Using your logic, you would say that SE Marvel's Avengers was a mega success.

sono

Fighting other humans in ZD isnt great. It is all about stealth. I presume FW is the same ?

I dont see how the MP will work at the moment.

Cool, now I can be bored shitless while Sony begs me to 'buy currency'.

They are desperate to make Horizon a thing, but outside of the beauty of the engine, it just sucks, and Aloy is a crap mascot.

Or you could simply, you know.....not play the game. It's a good thing you guys don't run a company. The series has sold 30 million+ with only 2 games. Sony would be stupid not try and capitalize off of that.

Batiman

Banned
One of Sony’s worst IPs that for some reason gets a lot of love. What a slog of a a game. Not the right game to have online IMO. Where the fuck is factions?

Last edited:

themonk

Neo Member
So you want more of the same, endlessly? One of the major appealing factors to TLOU, Horizon etc is the narrative.
There are plenty of games out there that don’t bother with this so people should just play those instead if they hate them so much.
When I play multiplayer I play it for competition how many successful story based multiplayer games are there? WOW, FF14, Destiny….

jonnyp

oh yeah

7e7jprH.jpeg

You sound exactly like 01011001 01011001

Top Bottom