• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn PS4s biggest ever Sony published new IP launch in the UK

d9b

Banned
DrakeWeights.gif
Lol!
Anyway, well deserved and congrats To Guerilla Games, they've created a masterpiece!

Coxy100

Banned
Desperate to play this. It's sat waiting for me, but I'm being strong. I am saving myself for Mass Effect. I know I won't have time to finish this so I'm saving it till after Mass Effect.

(Re-playing an old total war mod for kingdoms at the moment - third age total war)

Horizon sounds amazing :)

Lime

but female protagonists don't sell!!!

Congratulations to GG, one of the best games I've played this generation of consoles, absolutely amazing experience

well earned

best sony exclusive new IP since the last of us( BloodBorne is NOT a new IP)

By definition, Bloodborne is a new IP. It just is, no ifs, ands or buts.

PS4 userbase in the UK is in the millions. Wii U was an absolute bomb in the UK and Switch has just launched. It was never going to be close.

And there's also less competition for Zelda, which made up 75% of all software sales on the Switch, where Horizon is in a mighty big pond with a lot of fish, and it's a new IP, not an established one like Zelda.

WITHE1982

100% deserved. Horizon is a real breath of fresh air .

The game is superb and GG should feel proud to have produced such a graphical masterpiece which backs it up with amazing combat and a great story. To think I was gonna give this a miss until reviews hit.

Easily my GOTY so far and will definitely be in the running for the overall title.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
And there's also less competition for Zelda, which made up 75% of all software sales on the Switch, where Horizon is in a mighty big pond with a lot of fish, and it's a new IP, not an established one like Zelda.

But still, something like 2% of software wales on the PS4 would outsell 100% on Switch. Horizon definitely deserves all of it accolades but the comparison with Zelda was never a fair one.

Dremark

Banned
Game doesn't look that great to me but I'm glad it's selling. It'd be a shame if Sony closed the other Guerilla studio.

Amazing game. I bought a PS4 just before this game released and got Horizon ordered right away. Really loving this game and it deserves to do well.

But still, something like 2% of software wales on the PS4 would outsell 100% on Switch. Horizon definitely deserves all of it accolades but the comparison with Zelda was never a fair one.

If you're buying a Switch, you're likely being Zelda. It's a guaranteed sale. No game is a guaranteed sale on the PS4 or the One or PC.

You're not wrong that the low Switch numbers basically guaranteed this result, though. Just adding some context. =P

It's not surprising that it outsold zelda considering there were about 80k switches sold. You have an 80k install base(plus wiiu's tiny base) versus an install base past 5 million or so. Come on.

Anung

Un Rama
Well deserved. I'm glad Sony let Guerrilla Games try their own thing instead of having them pump out Killzones for the rest of time. I wish MS trusted their first party studios enough to do this. I'd be intrigued to see what the Gears and Halo teams could cook up.

Yay fresh IP's o/

Elios83

Lol at that "predict your 2017 flops" discussion. So much crow eaten on this game both quality wise and sales wise.
Btw outselling Uncharted 4....wow?!
Unless they're not counting U4.

Aceofspades

Banned
I've no intention of getting Horizon any time soon, but were there seriously people who thought it'd be out sold by Zelda?

Plenty of posters.

What boggles my mind is Zelda was never the sales juggeranut but I think they expected a wii+wii sport like situation for Switch+zelda unfortunately it didn't happen.

Lol at that "predict your 2017 flops" discussion. So much crow eaten on this game both quality wise and sales wise.
Btw outselling Uncharted 4....wow?!
Unless they're not counting U4.

This game did upwards of 110k. Uncharted 4 did 180k (UK figures). I sincerely doubt Horizon outsold it otherwise we would have heard about it.

Plenty of posters.

What boggles my mind is Zelda was never the sales juggeranut but I think they expected a wii+wii sport like situation for Switch+zelda unfortunately it didn't happen.

That's what I don't get. From everything I've seen the BotW looks like something I'd enjoy much more than Horizon, but a Switch launch/Wii U game was never going to outsell a massively hyped new IP on PS4.

Do people not realise just how many PS4s are out there? That's some hardcore fanboy nonsense thinking BotW would ever outsell Horizon.

Elios83

This game did upwards of 110k. Uncharted 4 did 180k (UK figures). I sincerely doubt Horizon outsold it otherwise we would have heard about it.

Ah ok! Indeed it seemed weird considering the legacy and hype behind Uncharted 4.
I misread the "since Uncharted 4" part it was not clear to me if it included it or not.
Still an amazing debut for a new IP.
Thanks for the numbers.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Yesssss GG well earned absolutely gorgeous and a blast to play. They should have a franchise here for years to come.

Jacobson

I've no intention of getting Horizon any time soon, but were there seriously people who thought it'd be out sold by Zelda?

It's only the first week, down the line Zelda might still outsell Horizon. Although it wouldn't matter since Horizon is already a success, that's a big win for guerilla games.

GRaider81

It's really great, I've only put in an hour to Zelda because of it.

I can't wait to play Zelda properly but Horizon is just keeping me away, the story is really becoming intriguing and fighting machines just doesn't get old.

If you refer to his previous post on another thread, you'll see that he hasn't even played Zelda lol.

Ha ha; why do people make these dumb statements about games they haven't played?! The combat alone in Horizon feels unlike anything else I've ever played; I'm playing on Hard and I love how I need to use all of my inventory and tactical options to get through a tough battle. It's far more in-depth than I'd expected.

I think the thread title needs to be edited a bit to say Sonys biggest new IP right?

Yeah, biggest new Sony IP of this generation only. Still impressive, but obviously not so much.

Holy Hell, make a shitpost against a game you haven't played and decided you didn't like before it released and were dismayed it sold more than another game you haven't played purely, I'm assuming, because you like the Zelda franchise and then imply other users are the fanboys and the ones making a defense because something is a 'sacred cow' (after five days, no less - versus an established franchise).

What a line of argumentation, I'll have to try this at some point.

Lol. Flawless victory.

It's really great, I've only put in an hour to Zelda because of it.

I can't wait to play Zelda properly but Horizon is just keeping me away, the story is really becoming intriguing and fighting machines just doesn't get old.

I'm in a similar situation. Horizon is so good that it's taking up all my Zelda time :p

On a serious note, I'm finding it hard to juggle between the two so I'm going to stick with Horizon until I'm done with - I'm deep into it.

Gurish

Luckily for Guerilla and Sony that most of us have better eyesight than you. Easily the best looking console game to date on my 4K panny.

He is talking about the concept and gameplay obviously, no one is insane enough to think it's not looking good visually.

Boke1879

Holy Hell, make a shitpost against a game you haven't played and decided you didn't like before it released and were dismayed it sold more than another game you haven't played purely, I'm assuming, because you like the Zelda franchise and then imply other users are the fanboys and the ones making a defense because something is a 'sacred cow' (after five days, no less - versus an established franchise). You have played neither and yet offer a 'dissenting opinion' of 'sadness' that a game sold well.

Well there it is

Holy Hell, make a shitpost against a game you haven't played and decided you didn't like before it released and were dismayed it sold more than another game you haven't played purely, I'm assuming, because you like the Zelda franchise and then imply other users are the fanboys and the ones making a defense because something is a 'sacred cow' (after five days, no less - versus an established franchise). You have played neither and yet offer a 'dissenting opinion' of 'sadness' that a game sold well.

Welp

Top Bottom