• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn Spoiler-free Impressions (for real this time)

The Lamp

Yeah I am also interested to know this. Can you only buy the weapons from sellers or are there any special high level weapons as loot in the dungeons etc.?

The latter I think.
i currently have an unmet side quest that tells me there's an ancient suit of armor in a dungeon left by the Old Ones
:)

How is the A.I? Have you encountered any human enemies so far?

Yes. The humans are not as good as say TLOU where they team up to flank you. But they're serviceable lol.

Holy shit this game opens up! The first area is stupid shit, like a different game. So much to do, so many things to discover. I have to sleep, impressions tomorrow.

zkorejo

The latter I think.
i currently have an unmet side quest that tells me there's an ancient suit of armor in a dungeon left by the Old Ones
:)

Yes. The humans are not as good as say TLOU where they team up to flank you. But they're serviceable lol.

Ah Nice. Thanks for responding and all the impressions (to everyone).

The Lamp

I get the sense thst the opening/first area is perhaps more linear?

Yes. There's a couple of extra things you could do, but not too much yet. The urgency is to get you to this point in the story where the game opens up to you. The beginning mostly exists to get you used to the mechanics and traversal.

tmac456

i need to stay outta this thread for a few days. my hype levels are rising quickly. will be seeking out the cheapest I can get a Pro tomorrow

vivekTO

That makes sense Miami. The one time I tried it, 1 side quest was like 0.46% or something. Multiply by 5 and you get close to your number.

Coffee cups are...
a region where you can find an "ancient vessel," a rare item pick up for trading and upgrading and stuff. I bought a map upgrade to show me where they are. They're actually little coffee mugs and stuff from the distant past. Lol

Yes, includes tallneck.

Maybe the game is only counting time where you're not idle. That would be pretty intelligent. In that case I would agree that I've played 10 hours so far.

For those wondering about how good the side quests are, I have an example I just experienced. It was pretty great.

I was on my way to a cauldron when I ran across some bandits. Didn't know they were until they started attacking me. I defeated them and took their heavy weapon and figured I'd need it on the way to the cauldron.

On the way I find some braves who need help fighting machines because their back up brought the wrong ammo supply box. So I decide to help them.

After some intense fights with my heavy weapon, we notice someone from the group disappeared with some valuable supplies. They ask me to go find him.

I track his trail with my focus and find him not too far away. He explains that he's in debt and needs these supplies to save him from his debtors.

As he explains that, his neck is sliced by a new type of machine. It goes invisible and attacks you with remote controlled bombs and moves like a panther. A really thrilling machine I hadn't seen until just then during this Side quest,

I defeat the machine and return the supplies. Now I'm back on my way to the cauldron, but not without being paid handsomely :)

The graphics are incredible. I don't know if you can even hit nighttime in the first area of the game. Once I got out of there I experienced the beauty of night. The moon and the lighting on the machines look especially incredible at night on my 4K hdr capable tv. I have been taking as many, if by more screenshots that Uncharted 4.

One small complaint is the transitions between weather can be a little harsh at times. One minute there was this heavy rainfall that was beating down and the wind was in full force then shortly after it was completely sunny and not overcast. It can be slightly jarring at times that's all.

The first 7 hours of the game remind me a decent amount of Far Cry 4. There the whole crafting and hunting aspect and the environment looks like Far Cry 4 on steroids. But you get the same tones and colors that are present in that game. I couldn't remember a damn thing about Far Cry 4's story, and thankfully that is not the case here

Yes, the facial animation can be slightly stilted at times but some of the dialogue is so interesting that I find myself going through every option available just to hear more about the world and mystery surrounding it. I already came across the infamous scene and yes it was bad. However, fear not, out of the dozens of other conversations I have had, I have not come across anything that I would say is close to being as poorly animated and voice acted as the infamous scene. I'm actually really digging the story so far and I'm really curious to see where they take it.

Also, Ashley Burch does an amazing job as Aloy. I always will pick the smartass dialogue option whenever it is available because her lines are always clever and her delivery is spot on. I can answer some questions if anybody has some. I am typing on mobile so it may take me a little longer.

Tfw you realize the optional bandit camps are more MGSV than Far Cry

sXBiN1m.jpg

I like the sidequests so far. They're not elaborate schemes so far like a heist or something from GTAV but they have characters and lore and completing unique tasks with the core gameplay.

Enemies take defeated enemy loot confirmed. I have the picture to prove it too. I will post stuff later. I have not seen ants yet, still investigating.

I can't access that location again so I can't tell if it had ants or not. The first area after the intro I see no ants on trees on regular, can pro people see if there are ants on trees outside the beginning

Ok now I'm starting to love it.

That first area is some Hinterlands shit. Just get the fuck out to where everything opens up.

I'm playing on Hard and I die after two hits.

ITS LIKE A SOULS GAME DUDE

Thanks for these Impressions, now i am slightly holding back myself from more spoilers.. hmm.

Welp here goes all the images and gifs from imgur :p

Mubrik

Here is an intense battle where I die. I haven't quite figured out the best weapons for this enemy yet. I don't consider it a "boss" battle because this enemy is found throughout the world, but some spoilers anyway maybe. I think it was a cool scene that shows some melee, lots of damage, and cool enemies. Quote me.

Man that machine had all sorts of attack in its arsenal.
Long range
Short range fire
Charging
Heavy melee attacks.

jtar86

Could someone with the game and a vita do me a huge favor and tell me what remote play maps the r2/l2 buttons to. I want to buy a trigger grip if its the back touchpad.

LotusHD

Banned
Imo, that's one of those "I guess..." spoilers. Where you spoiler it just to be safe, but you know full well that it's really not that big a deal lol

Mubrik

Yeah. The marker I was headed for was a cauldron, and that all suddenly just happened while I was headed over there. The side quests are sometimes like that. You'll sometimes just find people out in the world for their own reasons. And you learn why they're there and it fleshes out the lore and politics.

And sometimes I'll have options on what to do (even between main quests) and the NPC dialogue in the future will reference what I did before even though I could have done it in a different order (I've noticed this once or twice). Lots of thought put into these interactions.

Man. My hype is officially through the roof.

Rien

Jelly Belly
Anyone knows about the Collectors Edition's quality? If the reviews are good i'm thinking abt ordering the CE since i like the package.. but i wish to know if the quality ex. statue is of decent quality.
I know its a long shot to ask but with them copies in the wild. Guess you never know.

Ark

God, I really want to buy this but I'm not sure I want to play it on my launch PS4. Slightly tempted to buy a PS4 Pro just for this (and future games).

vivekTO

Wouldn't this be considered a spoiler?

This is the last machine we don't know of till now, i thought someone would have already posted. Sorry for the spoilers.

So there is no Elephanta Machine

Yeah. The marker I was headed for was a cauldron, and that all suddenly just happened while I was headed over there. The side quests are sometimes like that. You'll sometimes just find people out in the world for their own reasons. And you learn why they're there and it fleshes out the lore and politics.

And sometimes I'll have options on what to do (even between main quests) and the NPC dialogue in the future will reference what I did before even though I could have done it in a different order (I've noticed this once or twice). Lots of thought put into these interactions.

Forget about this , so did you finally reached the cauldron??

Witcher 3 isn't very living or breathing.

Re side quests, this is a huge pleasant surprise for me.

I don't know about that, I mean The Witcher 3 puts most RPG's to shame when it comes to the world you explore, with towns and cities full of people, walking around, it all feels pretty living to me (having a decent PC with the NPC count on Max helps a lot)

Horizon's side quests do sound really great though. Looking forward to playing it.

scoobs

Oh my god couldn't disagree more. Wildlife running around everywhere, towns folk all over the place talking, doing their jobs, all kinds of stuff. Super wrong.

SomTervo

I don't know about that, I mean The Witcher 3 puts most RPG's to shame when it comes to the world you explore, with towns and cities full of people, walking around, it all feels pretty living to me (having a decent PC with the NPC count on Max helps a lot)

Horizon's side quests do sound really great though. Looking forward to playing it.

Don't get me wrong, it's literally my favourite game world to-date.

But when a world is described as "living and breathing" i picture a sandbox. A world with lots of autonomous elements that interact with one another - world that creates itself as it moves along. GTA V, Watch Dogs 2, AC Syndicate, etc. Horizons sounds like this - but in over 130 hours in The Witcher 3 i think i saw about three emergent/dynamic encounters. That's monsters/humans fighting each other off the cuff/improvising.

As a pre-written/pre-designed world it's unbelievable but i wouldn't say being dynamic or "living abs breathing" is its strength. It gives that impression I guess.

Glad to hear Horizon's world is impressive.

Fuck. This game sounds even better than I imagined. I'll just jealously stalk this thread until it arrives. I'm going to be debating starting on hard or very hard.

SomTervo

My local store apparently isn't stocking it until launch day :( i wonder if a publisher found out about them. Their early release game has really collapsed.

Idk if i can justify buying Horizon with Switch and Zelda two days later.

Oh my god couldn't disagree more. Wildlife running around everywhere, towns folk all over the place talking, doing their jobs, all kinds of stuff. Super wrong.

See my other response above. It's incredible and i love it but it's all "hand drawn" rather than truly "living and breathing" which i take to mean dynamic and autonomous to a degree. Like, it's still a great illusion that is insanely convincing most of the time, but it is an illusion. The ai practically never do anything autonomous.

I mean compared to halo and F.e.a.r? Nah.

I think so. FEAR is one of my all time faves too. I played FEAR right after TLoU and honestly saw almost all the same behaviours. TLOU has some other super impressive stuff going on like locational directions and teamwork which even FEAR doesn't have. I've even had TLOU enemies use stealth on me, which was insane and slightly terrifying. (On Survivor difficulty. I mean like literally i'm minding my own business hunting folk then suddenly get grabbed from behind and the guy shouts "he's here!".)

No difficulty-specific trophies, quite interesting. Kinda bummed about that...

This is excellent news. It means if you're not having fun you can change the difficulty without worrying. The way it should be.

I think so. FEAR is one of my all time faves too. I played FEAR right after TLoU and honestly saw almost all the same behaviours. TLOU has some other super impressive stuff going on like locational directions and teamwork which even FEAR doesn't have. I've even had TLOU enemies use stealth on me, which was insane and slightly terrifying. (On Survivor difficulty. I mean like literally i'm minding my own business hunting folk then suddenly get grabbed from behind and the guy shouts "he's here!".)

I think a lot of people are saying enemy AI in TLOU isn't impressive is because of the fact that enemies just go after Joel and ignore the others with him. It does affect the immersion but I'd still say it's one of the better enemy AIs I've seen in the single player campaigns I ever played. And yes, playing the game on higher difficulty makes the game better.

This is excellent news. It means if you're not having fun you can change the difficulty without worrying. The way it should be.

No difficulty-specific trophies, quite interesting. Kinda bummed about that...

I understand that many aren't going to be happy with the lack of difficulty trophies, but I personally was never a fan of them in most games. I don't consider myself a trophy hunter by all means but I try to go for them when they're reasonable and doesn't require multiple playthroughs. So many games, so little time after all. I especially hated this in Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD (dunno if the same applies in the subsequent remasters) when it requires you to play the game in ALL difficulty just to get the platinum. Why can't you just unlock everything after playing on the hardest difficulty, eh?

Velurian

some people seem to be asking for a lock-on feature...in a shooting game?
it is not bloodborne, guys, it's a game lock-on would break.

Betty

Banned
some people seem to be asking for a lock-on feature...in a shooting game?
it is not bloodborne, guys, it's a game lock-on would break.

One of the players who has it said aiming and using the spear was pretty difficult and could've benefited from a lock on.

Muninn

Banned

Yeah, seriously, this is wrong. Yes, it doesn't have the best NPC's ever, and they are not as good as something like WD2's backstories for everyone, but it's still very much a lived in world.

One of the players who has it said aiming and using the spear was pretty difficult and could've benefited from a lock on.

Sounds like more people from a Killzone thread. NO AUTO AIM. WORST GAME EVER PLAYED GUYS.

Reason: I can't aim.

I'm so fucking sick of being coddled with shitty auto aim. SO SICK OF IT.

I really like that U4 even tells you that on Crushing you are using auto aim to beat it lol.

Top Bottom