• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn Spoiler-free Impressions (for real this time)

Sturtiebe

Combat is important in that game. And if its only running for defence and not so much variety. I think it will be have begin 80 on Metactitic

vivekTO

I think my issue with melee is inconsistency. Sometimes you swing and miss, other times you track and slide all the way to an enemy completely removing the need to space attacks. The impacts look great but inconsistency is bad. Very poor implementation of soft lock on I feel. The contextual damage is perfectly fine though. I like that.

I Think someone explained it here only ,IDK.

But the swing and miss is present because there is no lock on , and this might be because sometimes you are fighting more than one enemies and it will make the combat rather sluggish or stucky.

The Track and slide comes while performing the Critical hits. than there is somewhat of lock on going on.

So its not inconsistent but yeah It could be implemented better of course .

Combat is important in that game. And if its only running for defence and not so much variety. I think it will be have begin 80 on Metactitic

Hmmm.. i am really not getting the meaning of your statement. its like you have choked up on some words here and there. Can you explain in detail??

It play like a TPS so that should not be a problem .
It most TPS games you don't block .
They seem like they have a good foundation so they can expand on the melee aspect later on.

These are mostly minor complaints though. Probably notable enough to prevent it from reaching total masterpiece tier but the game seems really really strong overall.

Also MiamiWesker, if you could somehow get the skill that adds a
two tier dodge roll
I would like to see your impressions of that.

Just got it, haven't used it yet. Doing some fun trials. I am like 16 hours in and have seen like 30% of the map.

Upon hitting the area after the intro, finding areas of corruption that house harder enemies, hunter trials, and even these cool vantage points that give you a glimpse of a viewpoints but also from the past. These game just keeps on giving and it's a joy to play. Much more weapons, armor, and other things unlock after getting out of the intro area and it's a bit overwhelming at first but I'm getting used to it.

The end of the intro area after about 6-ish hours of play for me was enthralling, exciting, and for me even unexpected. Really well done, I actually felt the scenes very much. Then some revelations are dropped. Also a nice touch if you go back to the very start of the game before leaving. I'll say nothing more on that.

I will say, the transition from night to day or sun to rain is sometimes a bit jarring. Still looks great but I'm trying to find any and all things to basically nitpick at this point. Game just continues to deliver a sweet experience.

Mafia III level transitions?

vivekTO

Video just got rejected at gamersyde. Ha. Well so much for that. Was just a battle. I tried!

Any other source? can you post it in Dropbox or mega , if you have access to them.
Thanks anyways.

What are people's impressions on the narrative? Is the main story any good, and do the side quests offer interesting narrative hooks, or are they more just ways for you to engage in the gameplay systems?

There are some impressions about narrative on the first page , i think?

Zesh

What are people's impressions on the narrative? Is the main story any good, and do the side quests offer interesting narrative hooks, or are they more just ways for you to engage in the gameplay systems?

I hope the game is good.

But i hope its not repetitive thats all i want.

Good story with good gameplay.

it's gonna be repetitive

your main weapon of attack is a bow

being entirely reductive here, but essentially you're gonna shoot bows at stuff and roll for your life the majority of the game

I think it has all of the above. I believe Pro mode at 1080p has supersampling, enhanced Anisotropic Filtering, better foliage draw distance and a few other bits possibly too.

It's basically the first "proper" Pro game.
Awesome.
Take an example, other devs.
No supersampling, no buy.

Elandyll

Banned
Figured I'd try my first bingo card for Monday :)

cgU8QPn.png

Sorry if this has already been done :)

I hope the game is good.

But i hope its not repetitive thats all i want.

Good story with good gameplay.

There is repetition to every game, not a single game has zero repetition. If you like constantly seeing new locations, fighting wild dino robot enemies, meeting new people, new quests, new armor, weapons, etc... if that isn't enough to keep you playing, sure maybe it will be too repetitive for you.

it's gonna be repetitive

your main weapon of attack is a bow

being entirely reductive here, but essentially you're gonna shoot bows at stuff and roll for your life the majority of the game
Spent my first and second run of Last of Us using bows as my main. Always annoyed me when I ran out of arrows.

Bring it on.

pezzie

What it feels like sometimes people take away here (not just Horizon, any highly anticipated game really):

"Game X is great!

It's got awesome graphics, good music, a high level of attention paid to details, and the writing is phenomenal.

Sometimes the environment can be a bit hazy, but overall the package is superb."

"Did you hear that? The environment can be a bit hazy! Game gonna bomb, MC will kill it dead."

Skux

The only thing that bugs me about the environments is the shade of night time. It has a greenish tinge when normally your eyes "see" blue at night due to decreased colour sensitivity in low light. It just looks a little unnatural. Everything else looks fantastic though.

There is repetition to every game, not a single game has zero repetition. If you like constantly seeing new locations, fighting wild dino robot enemies, meeting new people, new quests, new armor, weapons, etc... if that isn't enough to keep you playing, sure maybe it will be too repetitive for you.
I keep saying this too. Every game is repetitive. You're not doing something new every second of the game. The question is whether you enjoy doing what you're doing.

Top Bottom