• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn SPOILERS Thread

meanspartan

Currently trying to rectify where to place that original ruin (from childhood) into the storyline of Old Ones. Were they the people left at the birth/cradle facility that became the "All-Mother", just on the backside of the facility from the door in the mountain? Maybe they managed to live longer lives in there, than the Alpha's apparently did. Not sure how much time passed between Lis' sacrifice and Ted killing them. Just incredibly cruel and horrific. "I've decided to erase human history, and you have 15 seconds to live before I choke you all to death. Stop Messing your fucking watch, Charles"

Seriously wouldn't put it past him to have attempted cryo-freezing. Bastard.

I totally forgot about that very first recording with the family talking. That felt very akin to like a Vault-Tech vault from Fallout. Was that maybe Elysium or whatever?

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
I think the mysterious signal that caused all the trouble came from the Odyssey. It makes the most sense to me.

The whole story of Far Zenith, anonymous billionaires, bankrolling a new Odyssey to leave in a hurry as the Faro Swarm spreads, only for it to suffer catastrophic failure way out at the edge of the solar system, where nobody's going to be looking, is just too damn suspicious.

They been out there all this time, in cryo-sleep or raising generations of clones of themselves, relying on an unpredictable Apollo to monitor the Earth and inform them when the time is right to return like gods. That's my guess.

Apollo was created by Samani as an extension of her lifes work. When Ted announces he killed Apollo several of the Alphas run over to Samani to comfort her as Ted did not just destroy the future knowledge of humanity but basically murdered her child.

That part was very powerful, the way Samani broke down as her friends rushed over to her... I mean, I think I would have argued against Apollo, but I could never go full Faro.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Nah, this one take the cake. Not even try to spin it, just good old malfunction door.
Yeah, but the payoff is so great. People want DLC of Rost doing his thing and DLC of Operation Enduring Freedom, but I would be happy with DLC of Elisabet slowly making her way back to her home while she just talks to GAIA about her life and her hopes for the future.

Cliches are cliches for a reason. When they work, they really work.
I was thinking about it and I realized that I'm okay with cliches - I just hate direct references.

----

The more I think about Faro, the more I realize he's such human garbage. Imagine if a caveman got burned by fire and he decides that NO ONE should have fire because if he fucked up, everyone else will fuck up as well.

meanspartan

All the other AIs got "freed" by the rogue hacking signal along with Hades right? I wonder what they have been up to. Apollo was "Deleted", but I wonder if Apollo as an AI still exists, and its unleashed state may have spent the last 20 years regathering data?

All the other AIs got "freed" by the rogue hacking signal along with Hades right? I wonder what they have been up to. Apollo was "Deleted", but I wonder if Apollo as an AI still exists, and its unleashed state may have spent the last 20 years regathering data?

I understood it that the rogue signal freed Hades and then Hades corrupted the rest of the AIs.

wapplew

Yeah, but it leads to one of the best ending scenes ever.

Sure, love the ending. I mean they really can't come up with a different reason for her to leave the Gaia prime?
I don't know, I feel like they put all the blame on Faro just as much as put all the saints on Elizabet is kinda reductive, too black and white.
Luckily they made a great grey character Sylens.

meanspartan

I understood it that the rogue signal freed Hades and then Hades corrupted the rest of the AIs.

ooooohh. Nevermind then. So really they were all just a "mega hades", with him controlling all their functions.

Even if Gaia is rebuilt, she will need these other AIs too to serve her purpose right? Otherwise, all she is good for is nice conversations.

ooooohh. Nevermind then. So really they were all just a "mega hades", with him controlling all their functions.

Even if Gaia is rebuilt, she will need these other AIs too to serve her purpose right? Otherwise, all she is good for is nice conversations.

Yep, but now with Hades out of the picture, I would think she could take over pretty easily, unless there is more to that Rogue signal.

meanspartan

Yep, but now with Hades out of the picture, I would think she could take over pretty easily, unless there is more to that Rogue signal.

Which I imagine there must be, or it is a pretty lame plot device. You can't just leave that hanging forever, I hope a sequel directly addresses it, whether it is re-awoken Ted Faro/Ted Faro AI, Oddyssey people actually made it and are now not so nice, or something else entirely.

shiba5

Sure, love the ending. I mean they really can't come up with a different reason for her to leave the Gaia prime?
I don't know, I feel like they put all the blame on Faro just as much as put all the saints on Elizabet is kinda reductive, too black and white.
Luckily they made a great grey character Sylens.

The door was a cliche but honestly, Lis was looking for any excuse to leave at that point. She was tired. She wanted to go home. Even if Ted hadn't killed the other Alphas, those people were already living in a tomb.

jmaine_ph

Theory:
-Last scene we see Sylens saying "Your Masters for example, the ones that sent out the signal that woke you. Knowledge has its rewards, don't you think?"
-Odyssey never failed
-They were the 1s that sent the "alien signal" to awake Hades and ordered him to do the job he was designed for so they can come back to Earth
-"Knowledge has its rewards" Odyssey has the alpha-bulid of Apollo, they have the knowledge
-Horizon 2 = survivors (or the people that evolved from them) of Odyssey, who are far advanced now, come back to Earth and something something something
-Either that or Aliens.jpg

Ohhhh that's a good one.

Zackat

Ya but then how do you "Erase" knowledge "Stored" in living DNA as Faro did?

he either shut the cooler off leading to the DNA decaying or took away apollo's ability to decrypt the data.

Maybe we'll go on a search for the Rosetta Stone to decrypt the DNA or something :p

the former is much more likely than the latter

Phthisis

Ya but then how do you "Erase" knowledge "Stored" in living DNA as Faro did?

It wasn't living. There's a datapoint where they talk about Project Zero Dawn trying to build the right kind of medium that can withstand the test of time and entropy for the fossilized DNA to be implanted into. Deleting all of that would simply be as easy as vaporizing the storage medium (aka, "blow up da rocks")

meanspartan

I would love for them to make a Horizon: Enduring Victory game where we play as one of the soldiers tasked to protect Project Zero Dawn in the frontlines. It could be FPS too. It could be epic!

That would be a good thing to handoff to the killzone people rather than have them make another killzone lol

Theory:
-Last scene we see Sylens saying "Your Masters for example, the ones that sent out the signal that woke you. Knowledge has its rewards, don't you think?"
-Odyssey never failed
-They were the 1s that sent the "alien signal" to awake Hades and ordered him to do the job he was designed for so they can come back to Earth
-"Knowledge has its rewards" Odyssey has the alpha-bulid of Apollo, they have the knowledge
-Horizon 2 = survivors (or the people that evolved from them) of Odyssey, who are far advanced now, come back to Earth and something something something
Either this or good old fuck face Ted.

Or maybe both.

shiba5

That would be a good thing to handoff to the killzone people rather than have them make another killzone lol

They should make a VR game where you're trapped in one of those bunkers, the Wichita Salient has collapsed and you have 24 hours before the robots get there.

o_O

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
I'm thinking Ted is def making an appearance in H2, no way will they not make more use of him in some way, he's 1 evil mofo

Right now I think I'd be disappointed if Ted Faro made an appearance in a sequel, outside of maybe a hologram recording of him as an old man, where he weeps for the bitterness and unfairness of how his life turned out. I think that would be a fitting end to his story.

The guy served his purpose. He's a good character, but I wouldn't try and take him any further because I don't think there's anywhere interesting to go. A Ted clone surfacing to go up against Aloy is something I definitely don't want to see.

Who knows what Guerilla have planned though.

I'm thinking Ted is def making an appearance in H2, no way will they not make more use of him in some way, he's 1 evil mofo

Just imagine Guerrilla going full Spec Ops: The Line with the sequel. Spec Ops spoilers:
Ted seems to be the main antagonist, hacks into your Focus, taunts you, drives you ever forward into completing your mission, until you finally find him in his bunker - and he's been dead for 900 years. The one talking to you was an AI that got self-aware and thought itself the real, original Ted Faro.

Right now I think I'd be disappointed if Ted Faro made an appearance in a sequel, outside of maybe a hologram recording of him as an old man, where he weeps for the bitterness and unfairness of how his life turned out. I think that would be a fitting end to his story.

The guy served his purpose. He's a good character, but I wouldn't try and take him any further because I don't think there's anywhere interesting to go. A Ted clone surfacing to go up against Aloy is something I definitely don't want to see.

Who knows what Guerilla have planned though.

I'm with you, don't turn a good character into a cheesy one. Maybe they can find a way to make it good but without knowing anything I prefer he doesn't show up (maybe something minor as you said).

LycanXIII

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if an AI Ted was in a sequel. Probably fused with Apollo too.
As long as Faro's machines are the enemies, Ted is going to be involved somehow.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
I'm with you, don't turn a good character into a cheesy one. Maybe they can find a way to make it good but without knowing anything I prefer he doesn't show up (maybe something minor as you said).

I think it would be fitting if we discover he simply died old and unhappy in his plush bunker surrounded with riches and decadence, bitter every day because deep down he knows that Elisabet Sobeck was a better scientist and a better person.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I just realized that a lot of stuff related to Ted was inspired or related to ancient Egypt. People mentioned things like the Horus machines and his Pyramid shaped bunker named Thebes. However the most obvious one I didn't notice till is Ted's very name is as well. Faro = Pharaoh.

They should make a VR game where you're trapped in one of those bunkers, the Wichita Salient has collapsed and you have 24 hours before the robots get there.

o_O

That would be a scary as hell VR game.

But yeah, I really wish we get some DLC or something at some sort set in the ancient world. Maybe play as Elisabet in a firewatch type game, walking around through Zero Dawn working with people to complete the project.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
That would be a scary as hell VR game.

But yeah, I really wish we get some DLC or something at some sort set in the ancient world. Maybe play as Elisabet in a firewatch type game, walking around through Zero Dawn working with people to complete the project.

Would Ted Faro be the person constantly calling you on a walkie talkie? lol

Theory:
-Odyssey never failed

That's good.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
One thing reeeeeeeeally bugged me... which is especially annoying because I loved most of what they did. But it's like they didn't pay attention to their own story. OK, when you first get to the Zero Dawn facility and see Sobeck giving the presentation of what ZD really is, she shows images of the robots. You see a lancehorn, a snapjaw, and a storm bird, doing their terraforming duties... but then like 5 minutes later we learn that Margot's team worked to make Haephestus design it's own robots. And GAIA's love of megafauna made Haephestus use animals as a tribute. So Sobek showed pretty much the exact designs for robots that her not yet existing AI supposedly desinged itself. I know it's minor, but still makes me sad.

Also,was anybody else pissed at Sylens for busting into the arena? I've taken out 2 corruptors at once. I'd have loved to do it in front of the crowd of cultists and shake Helis's faith a bit more. Swipe that smug look off his fanatic face.

carlsojo

Look all I want is a "Poseidon" expansion where you go around traveling to different islands and shit. And fight giant Kraken machines.

r1chard

One thing reeeeeeeeally bugged me... which is especially annoying because I loved most of what they did. But it's like they didn't pay attention to their own story. OK, when you first get to the Zero Dawn facility and see Sobeck giving the presentation of what ZD really is, she shows images of the robots. You see a lancehorn, a snapjaw, and a storm bird, doing their terraforming duties... but then like 5 minutes later we learn that Margot's team worked to make Haephestus design it's own robots. And GAIA's love of megafauna made Haephestus use animals as a tribute. So Sobek showed pretty much the exact designs for robots that her not yet existing AI supposedly desinged itself. I know it's minor, but still makes me sad.
I hadn't noticed that, but yeah, it's a pretty weird discontinuity.

Also,was anybody else pissed at Sylens for busting into the arena? I've taken out 2 corruptors at once. I'd have loved to do it in front of the crowd of cultists and shake Helis's faith a bit more. Swipe that smug look off his fanatic face.
Yep. Until he busted in I was all "what are you DOING cutscene?!? LET ME AT THEM!!"

I finished it just now, rushed to the ending in case some idiot decides to post spoilers in the title again.
What an amazing game. Damn! I think this is the best scifi story and setting in a video game, ever, bar none.
GG, GG. I hope their next game is even more awesome.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Maybe it had already designed those? They would have monitored and tested to make sure it works as expected. They on,y said they didn't design the robots. So haephestus designed those initial models for cleanup prior to Zero dawn. It then also added others later on

wapplew

I finished it just now, rushed to the ending in case some idiot decides to post spoilers in the title again.
What an amazing game. Damn! I think this is the best scifi story and setting in a video game, ever, bar none.
GG, GG. I hope their next game is even more awesome.

Did the spoiler ruined it for you? Are you expecting Ted alive and be the final boss?

Did the spoiler ruined it for you? Are you expecting Ted alive and be the final boss?
It did. When I read the spoiler, ted in my game was just an arrogant idiot and he hadn't done anything close to be a villain yet. The mass murder scene lost some of its impact because as soon as the door's opened, I know its ted.

Galactic Fork

Maybe it had already designed those? They would have monitored and tested to make sure it works as expected. They on,y said they didn't design the robots. So haephestus designed those initial models for cleanup prior to Zero dawn. It then also added others later on
But this was before it could have designed anything. Margot herself saw this hologram. The one who led the team that made Haephestus. Heck, it woulda been before GAIA was even started.

But this was before it could have designed anything. Margot herself saw this hologram. The one who led the team that made Haephestus. Heck, it woulda been before GAIA was even started.
The order we experience those audio logs, holovids and text logs in is not necessarily chronological.

Gaia probably designed those early prototypes as alluded to in the Holovids in Elisabet's office. When Elisabet is giving that holovid pitch to the new members of the team, it's likely that an early prototype version of GAIA was already up and running.

Just finished the game, and I'm really disappointed that the last quest didn't take us to wherever Ted died so we could shit on his desiccated corpse.

Galactic Fork

The order we experience those audio logs, holovids and text logs in is not necessarily chronological.

Gaia probably designed those early prototypes as alluded to in the Holovids in Elisabet's office. When Elisabet is giving that holovid pitch to the new members of the team, it's likely that an early prototype version of GAIA was already up and running.
You're right that they are not chronological, but some have dates. And others timeframe can be determined by their relation to the dated ones.
She made the presentation on Nov 21, 2064, two days after "Sobek Journal 11-19-64" and roughly two weeks before the first prototype was made. Sobek's office was only just made by then. GAIA is then shown in GAIA Log: 27 March 2065, fangirling out about using animal morphology, and Sobek says she's a quick study, implying this is new. And you have Sobek and Margo's email about the simulations liking animal morphologies. This could be just before or after that Log. So probably in march of 2065.

Theory:
-Odyssey never failed

Yeah, I totally agree. I was OK with Odyssey exploding until they showed that log of Sobek's opening at the end game. Why tell the player how Sobek was worried about the dangers of the alpha build of Apollo if it was a cloud of dust? Seems more likely it was a lie, or the the ship was damaged and has been drifting all thse years, the inhabitants stuck inside finally getting the ship fixed. Heh a cool sequel could be all within the Odyssey as they get ready to come to earth .

Alternative is that the Apollo alpha survived the destruction, crashed into earth, was repaired by the robots, and put into one of the other ELEUTHIA complexes on the other side of the earth.

You're right that they are not chronological, but some have dates. And others timeframe can be determined by their relation to the dated ones.
She made the presentation on Nov 21, 2064, two days after "Sobek Journal 11-19-64" and roughly two weeks before the first prototype was made. Sobek's office was only just made by then. GAIA is then shown in GAIA Log: 27 March 2065, fangirling out about using animal morphology, and Sobek says she's a quick study, implying this is new. And you have Sobek and Margo's email about the simulations liking animal morphologies. This could be just before or after that Log. So probably in march of 2065.

I mean, I have a feeling the real answer is that this was part of a huge revelation/info dump where the player is overwhelmed with information, so they decided to use the robots players would recognize as shorthand to convey that the machine life they had been encountering is indeed what was created by GAIA.

But, if you want an in lore justification, it could be argued that they were continuing to recruit Zero Dawn members for a while, so once they had an idea about what GAIA was thinking about building they revised the graphics in the presentation to more accurately reflect that. So maybe those robots weren't in the original presentation people saw.

Maybe a bit of a stretch, but I really don't think it matters too much, and I disagree that it's indicative of the writers not paying attention to their own story.

UqXCamI.gif

o8peOE7.gif

Top Bottom