• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horror fan community.

Of the 89 string of underwater movies I always enjoyed this one the most. It's derivative, goofy and the effects aren't Stan Winston's best effort but I find the whole thing to be good fun with an enjoyable cast. Plus that ending... 😋
Yea I enjoy it I love Peter weller movies,this gave me a lot of the thing vibe but underwater.

splinter-558679837-large.jpg
Today’s movie..

Harts316

Deciding between Sputnik, Splinter and Leviathan. I keep adding movies to the queue based on this thread then I get too tired at night to watch.

On the topic of games, has anyone played the Dark Pictures series of games? I liked Until Dawn and was wondering if they are any good.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
xakrHPz.jpg

Peninsula aka Train to Busan 2 was a big disappointment for me. The movie is nowhere near the quality of the first flick. First of all the CGI is pretty horrible and it makes some scenes look like they're literally from an animated movie. The story doesn't make sense
all that effort for 20 mil? plus it was a given they'd be shot as soon as they delivered the money
the chase scenes are super dumb
the one with the RC car was especially stupid, but the final one was also full of silly and completely unrealistic moments and it was too long
and the end of the movie tries to be too melodramatic for a change.

Last edited:
I actually liked Peninsula better than Train to Busan but I didn't really like Train to Busan. Peninsula was like an average remake of Doomsday, really love Doomsday.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
This is the craziest take. It was so well done.

Well done how?

Unconvincing CG -check.
Unconvincing prosthetics -check.
Inferior score and cinematography to the original -check.
Tilda Swinton in distracting, obvious man-drag for no purpose -check.
Bloated and entirely unjustifed by content 152 minute run-time -check.

Most egregiously of all, its not remotely scary.

Its a boring, pretentious, insult to the original.

If you think I'm overstating, please try and see Argento's original in a theater. Now that's a fucking horror movie.

Last edited:
Well done how?

Unconvincing CG -check.
Unconvincing prosthetics -check.
Inferior score and cinematography to the original -check.
Tilda Swinton in distracting, obvious man-drag for no purpose -check.
Bloated and entirely unjustifed by content 152 minute run-time -check.

Most egregiously of all, its not remotely scary.

Its a boring, pretentious, insult to the original.

If you think I'm overstating, please try and see Argento's original in a theater. Now that's a fucking horror movie.

The problem is carrying the name Suspiria while being an entirely different film with the same premise, not unlike the Dawn of the Dead remake. Location and premise remain the same, everything else is different and not meant to emulate the original.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The problem is carrying the name Suspiria while being an entirely different film with the same premise, not unlike the Dawn of the Dead remake. Location and premise remain the same, everything else is different and not meant to emulate the original.

I wouldn't mind that if it stood up on its own merits, however its simply not a good movie in my opinion. The commonality of the faults that I listed was that they all pull the viewer out of the experience. It tries to be arty and Kubrickian, but the director simply isn't up to it.

I'm sorry, but I really cannot see how its 2 and half hour run-time is justified. Its simply flabby and self-indulgent and wrong-headed. I get the wintry Fassbinder-esque styling is a deliberate attempt to distance and distinguish itself from the original, but its still ends up with a bunch of cheesy CG exploding heads! That's not magical realism, its just an incoherent grab-bag of influences lacking the substance of their origins.

If you liked it, that's cool. But I hated it with a passion, and not purely because of its deviations from the original although that did leave a further sour aftertaste because it represents such a missed opportunity.

Last edited:

Harts316

Worth the watch?

I watched It based on this thread and I enjoyed it. The setting and plot are really focused and streamlined.

It’s also the perfect length amd it doesn’t overstay it’s welcome.

Nice gore and effects as well.

Sputnik was a letdown. It started off really good, but everything started to drag midway through. Some of the characters made some stupid decisions and it was hard to suspend my disbelief.

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I'm still looking for something that will hit me as hard as Hereditary. "Midsommar" is cool, "The Witch" is another favorite, and I love a lot of the classics, like "The Exorcist", but nothing has chilled me to my spine like Hereditary.

Last edited:

Harts316

I noticed a bunch of new movies on Shudder. Has anyone seen any of these? Looking for something new to watch

The Shed
Spiral
Starfish
30 miles from Nowhere

Top Bottom