• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horror-GAF |OT|

Melchiah

Exorcist is a masterpiece.

Now you should watch the sequels. =)

The 3rd one is actually pretty good.

Personally, I like The Exorcism of Emily Rose more than The Exorcist. I just have a strong distaste for the latter's more conservative approach, especially when it came after Rosemary's Baby. Even today, I consider that one of the best films of the sub-genre. It manages to avoid the preachy black and white approach of The Exorcist, and portrays the "bad" guys in a more humane fashion.

Don't Breathe was quite good. It got kinda ridiculous
how many times the blind guy managed to come back
but it also added to the tension. Best part was when he started
warming up his jizz
and the whole theater is trying to figure out what it is and then it finally hits them and the sounds of disgust just went through the whole theater. Gave me a good laugh.

The only real negative I have to say is Green Room came out this year and created a much more tense environment for the entirety of the film without ever veering off into over the top territory. I'd say it is probably my fourth fave movie of the year though. Let this man make an Evil Dead sequel for god's sake.

HiiiLife

Don't Breathe was quite good. It got kinda ridiculous
how many times the blind guy managed to come back
but it also added to the tension. Best part was when he started
warming up his jizz
and the whole theater is trying to figure out what it is and then it finally hits them and the sounds of disgust just went through the whole theater. Gave me a good laugh.

The only real negative I have to say is Green Room came out this year and created a much more tense environment for the entirety of the film without ever veering off into over the top territory. I'd say it is probably my fourth fave movie of the year though. Let this man make an Evil Dead sequel for god's sake.

Movie was cool and the premise had me hooked but I think Green Room still takes the cake for these escape room flicks. Don't Breathe is still the best movie I've seen in a couple months.
Also the Jonas brother lookalike should've been the one to survive. It pains me to see the only logical person in the group get killed because of a stupid protagonist lol. Was kinda hoping everyone except him would either get arrested, or killed off. Minus the hostage.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Hey out of curiosity, what's everyone's favorite horror setting? Personally I adore shit that takes place in the woods. Love me some trees.

Hey out of curiosity, what's everyone's favorite horror setting? Personally I adore shit that takes place in the woods. Love me some trees.
The woods depends on the cinematography. The Witch really nailed the look of the forest, made it look claustrophobic and looming.

As a fan of sci-fi horror, the derelict/isolated spaceship is a personal favorite for me. Alien, Event Horizon, Sunshine, Pandorum, the games Stasis and Dead Space, etc.

Horrors that take place in a single room, or at least spend majority of the movie trapped in a room or small environment, are my favourite.

Fermat's Room, Cube, The Mist, The Hole, Nine Dead, Saw, Would You Rather, and The Invitation are some examples off the top of my head.
Being trapped inside a big house works too, as long as it's not a home invasion. Something along the lines of Thirteen Ghosts or House on Haunted Hill.

Horrors that take place in a single room, or at least spend majority of the movie trapped in a room or small environment, are my favourite.

Fermat's Room, Cube, The Mist, The Hole, Nine Dead, Saw, Would You Rather, and The Invitation are some examples off the top of my head.
Being trapped inside a big house works too, as long as it's not a home invasion. Something along the lines of Thirteen Ghosts or House on Haunted Hill.
im a damn sucker for those types of one location movies

Melchiah

The setting I like the most, is when people end up in an isolated location, where they're locked in to survive, preferably against supernatural forces. Examples would be The Evil Dead, REC, The Shining, The Howling, Alien, The Thing, Ravenous, Silent Hill, 30 Days of Night, and Storm of the Century.

lordxar

As a fan of sci-fi horror, the derelict/isolated spaceship is a personal favorite for me. Alien, Event Horizon, Sunshine, Pandorum, the games Stasis and Dead Space, etc.

Pretty much this. I love horror and I love scifi so if their blended it tickles me all over my happy spot.

Melchiah

The woods depends on the cinematography. The Witch really nailed the look of the forest, made it look claustrophobic and looming.

A good call on those two.

drotahorror

Been trying to bang out some netflix watchlist movies.

Baskin - 4/10 - Filmed well, acted well, just didn't really interest me. The build up took way too long and when shit finally hit the fan it was over too quick and still not that gripping.

Let Us Prey - 6/10 - Pretty good but they cheaped out on the violence a bit with some weak kills and CGI. The ending is sort of confusing and open for a bit of interpretation as well.

Creep (2014) - 7/10 - Very enjoyable. Had put off watching it for quite some time as I didn't think I'd like it. The first half is fairly funny as well. I never even paused this one once, I was hooked the whole time.

Carnivals or theme parks for sure. Rarely utilized nowadays though. It's probably "too easy" lol.
Probably. Like you'd have to do a Dusk-till-Dawn-style twist to really make that setting work without feeling cliched IMO. Dramas, romances, and comedies can film carnival and theme parks without them seeming creepy, but in a horror movie, that garnish colors and figures and such suddenly seem like overkill. But take that non-creepy portrayal and then slowly introduce unsettling elements of horror and eerieness, that could be cool

Watched As Above, So Below this afternoon, quite a fun movie

Some really cool ideas as well

I watched it with a friend a few months ago and I agree.

While a few things are a bit iffy (story, protagonist is annoying) the setting is pretty damn great. We both felt that they nailed the 'omg they are all fucked'-part of the film quite well.

Anyone who wants to watch it should somehow look past the story though

I watched it with a friend a few months ago and I agree.

While a few things are a bit iffy (story, protagonist is annoying) the setting is pretty damn great. We both felt that they nailed the 'omg they are all fucked'-part of the film quite well.

Anyone who wants to watch it should somehow look past the story though

Yeah it was okay to while the time away kind of movie. Parts of it were very predictable, but watchable.

For family movie night, we watched Summer Camp (2015). Was probably the most unintentionally funny "horror" movie I've seen since The Happening. Or at least I think it was unintentional, not 100% sure on that.

http://youtu.be/S9pjraMMHdo

Basic premise is four counselors at a Spain summer camp are settling in on the day for the kids arrive and something that turns people enraged killers starts spreading through the place. So yes, it's a zombie movie, with the twist being that the effects wear off after a while so the "zombies" switch back to people later and vice versa.

I'd say it's a worth a watch, partially because the twist is actually kind of interesting for a zombie movie, but mainly for the clearly Oscar-quality acting and hilarious story beats

Corpsepyre

Banned
Watched The Wailing (2016), an epic Korean horror film from the director of The Chaser and The Yellow Sea (both two of my favourite films) that'll most definitely attain cult status in some years. 150 minutes of rapid-fire visceral thrills and twists and turns that will have you scratching your heads. The ending deserves a special mention as well for being quite the gut punch. If you like your horror films engaging, brainstewing, brutal, yet with some dark humour, and without the fancy circus-like toppings of most Western outings, then give this one a go. Right now, it's easily in my top 5 films of the year. Fully recommended. American horror cinema should pack it up.

NOTE: Best to not watch any trailers or read into the plot too much.

TheWailing-406x600.jpg

Pachimari

I had no idea we had a Horror OT!!! How could I have missed this for such a long time.

I'm in such a horror mood, and is looking forward to some of these modern horror flicks. I'm probably gonna watch 10 Cloverfield Lane, The Babadook, The Witch and The Boy very soon. Green Room too, is that a horror?

Melchiah

I had no idea we had a Horror OT!!! How could I have missed this for such a long time.

I'm in such a horror mood, and is looking forward to some of these modern horror flicks. I'm probably gonna watch 10 Cloverfield Lane, The Babadook, The Witch and The Boy very soon. Green Room too, is that a horror?

Those two are well worth a watch. I didn't personally care about Babadook at all.

I'd skip The Boy since you're gonna be watching quality horror films alongside it. Green Room is technically not a horror movie but it's gonna be part of my Halloween movie marathon with friends so take that however you want.

Pachimari

What are some of the best horror movies, if I like those that are more intense and claustrophobic, rather than the gory and over the top?

Enk

makes good threads.
I'd skip The Boy since you're gonna be watching quality horror films alongside it. Green Room is technically not a horror movie but it's gonna be part of my Halloween movie marathon with friends so take that however you want.

Depends on which "The Boy" he is talking about here. There were two horror films that came out around the same time with the same title. One, directed by Craig MacNeill, is actually about a boy and is quite an unnerving little film which I would recommend. The other, directed by William Bell, is about a doll which I have yet to see because the trailers made it look like a typically average modern horror flick.

Pachimari

Depends on which "The Boy" he is talking about here. There were two horror films that came out around the same time with the same title. One, directed by Craig MacNeill, is actually about a boy and is quite an unnerving little film which I would recommend. The other, directed by William Bell, is about a doll which I have yet to see because the trailers made it look like a typically average modern horror flick.

Yeah, that's actually right. The one I talked about were the William Bell one, but now I'm more interested in the other one.

Was trawling Netflix for decent horror movies. Anyone seen any of these:
Secuestrados/Kidnapped, Para Elisa, We Are What We Are, The Taking of Deborah Logan, Here Comes The Devil, High Lane, The Seasoning House

Steamlord

What are some of the best horror movies, if I like those that are more intense and claustrophobic, rather than the gory and over the top?

Can't go wrong with Polanski's Apartment Trilogy (Repulsion, Rosemary's Baby, The Tenant). Mostly the first two but The Tenant is still pretty good.

Secuestrados/Kidnapped, Para Elisa, We Are What We Are, The Taking of Deborah Logan, Here Comes The Devil, High Lane, The Seasoning House

Deborah Logan is decent if you like found footage. Haven't seen the others, though I've been meaning to watch We Are What We Are.

I've only seen Deborah Logan.
It's a passable "handheld footage" deal. They film a documentary about Deborah. I'm actually confusing a lot of the finer details with Shyamalan's The Visit due to the similarities.
I remember it not being the best but the last third had some really creepy imagery that made it worth the watch at least.

We Are What We Are is a slow burner, and most of the film is more focused on character development/backstory than current events. That's not necessarily a bad thing, though - if you enjoy piecing parts of a movie together and building up anticipation for the conclusion, you'd like this. Without giving anything away, I'll just say that the story is really telling about the ideas of patriarchy and tradition, and the big moments are totally worth the simmer.

The Taking of Deborah Logan didn't do anything for me, really. It's your typical found footage film with all the expected scares, and the story doesn't get any more complex than the IMDb synopsis. It's good if you just want to throw something on to chill and zone out a bit.

The Descent. It gets silly towards the end but it's a really solid film.

I didn't even know there was a second one only knew of the awful looking doll one.

The Descent. It gets silly towards the end but it's a really solid film.
The Descent is awesome. I never would've expected that to be good from the trailers, always just looked like a dumb modern horror movie to me but I caught it at a marathon last year and really enjoyed it. I also appreciate whenever a movie actually allows its "victims" to fight back for survival instead of just being useless in fear

Penguin

I guess have most of Sept to think of it, but trying to come up with a themed viewing for this year 31 Days thread on GAF

Last year was remakes and originals. Year before, I think was home invasion/confined spaces

Monocle

Watched The Wailing (2016), an epic Korean horror film from the director of The Chaser and The Yellow Sea (both two of my favourite films) that'll most definitely attain cult status in some years. 150 minutes of rapid-fire visceral thrills and twists and turns that will have you scratching your heads. The ending deserves a special mention as well for being quite the gut punch. If you like your horror films engaging, brainstewing, brutal, yet with some dark humour, and without the fancy circus-like toppings of most Western outings, then give this one a go. Right now, it's easily in my top 5 films of the year. Fully recommended. American horror cinema should pack it up.

NOTE: Best to not watch any trailers or read into the plot too much.

TheWailing-406x600.jpg
No kidding, this blows everything else away.

Pachimari

I guess have most of Sept to think of it, but trying to come up with a themed viewing for this year 31 Days thread on GAF

Last year was remakes and originals. Year before, I think was home invasion/confined spaces
Are we doing a 31 horror movies in October?

I'll check out The Descent! I currently have 30 movies on my horror playlist.

Mdk7

Finally watched The Witch, I absolutely loved it.
It's up there with Martyrs for me, by far one of my favorite horror movies of the latest years.

TheKeyPit

Banned
I'd like to watch a horror movie that's creepy and scary. It should leave me shivering and make me afraid of walking through the dark corridors of my apartment.

What should I watch?

I'd like to watch a horror movie that's creepy and scary. It should leave me shivering and make me afraid of walking through the dark corridors of my apartment.

What should I watch?
Genuine question for the thread in general: do people really react like that to movies past the ages of childhood? Like I can see when you're younger, movies scaring the shit out of you to the point of nightmares and being scared to be in the dark and what not. But as an adult? That's never happened to me. You know it's not real. The closest was probably the first Paranormal Activity because the premise effectively used that notion that you're vunerable when you're asleep.

...I thought Conjuring 2 was pretty creepy...

Should I get my coat and leave the thread?

Conjuring 2 had its moments, with some of the more effective jump scares I've seen in a horror movie to date. I prefer it to the original actually. Plus the office scene is like the best scene of the whole year so far.

TheKeyPit

Banned
Genuine question for the thread in general: do people really react like that to movies past the ages of childhood? Like I can when you're younger, movies scaring the shit out of you to the point of nightmares and being scared to be in the dark and what not. But as an adult? That's never happened to me. You know it's not real. The closest was probably the first Paranormal Activity because the premise effectively used that notion that you're vunerable when you're asleep.

Not really, but I'm looking for a movie that makes me feel a bit uncomfortable. Some movies just get me laughing, because of how stupid the protagonists are or when something ridiculous happens. Instant horror-breaker.

Not really, but I'm looking for a movie that makes me feel a bit uncomfortable. Some movies just get me laughing, because of how stupid the protagonists are or when something ridiculous happens. Instant horror-breaker.
True. I've come to prefer horror movies that can envoke a sense of dread and unease, rather than trying to scare you like a haunted house. The former is pretty hard and the latter is typically reverts to jump scares. Most recent movie that I felt did unaware and dread really well was The Witch. And I saw The Exorcist for the first time last week; that movie also did unease masterfully

Top Bottom