• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horror-GAF |OT|

lordxar

I can only think of a few movies that have really affected me. Like my five year old self watching Alien or in my teens seeing the Exorcist. After that yea I'm numb to most violence and horror but there are times when a movie really messes with me. Like the Ring. For fucks sake it was pg-13 and I first saw it in a shitty theater but I work in IT and something about that chick coming out of the tv kind of got me and stayed with me for a while. I'd also say your life experience changes what bothers you as well. So like a person with a kid is more likely to be uncomfortable with seeing child related horror for an easy example. Hell with some of my recent life experiences I've been more uncomfortable in action movies than horror just because of content.

Pachimari

I got really scared during Paranormal Activity 1. Me and my sister were watching it in my room (at the time), and right when the door open and closes in the movie, was the time when my mother had sneaked up and done the same to our door. What a coincidence. She got me there for sure.

Watched The Wailing (2016), an epic Korean horror film from the director of The Chaser and The Yellow Sea (both two of my favourite films) that'll most definitely attain cult status in some years. 150 minutes of rapid-fire visceral thrills and twists and turns that will have you scratching your heads. The ending deserves a special mention as well for being quite the gut punch. If you like your horror films engaging, brainstewing, brutal, yet with some dark humour, and without the fancy circus-like toppings of most Western outings, then give this one a go. Right now, it's easily in my top 5 films of the year. Fully recommended. American horror cinema should pack it up.
I accidentally rented the 2008 The Wailing cuz amazon has it as an option under this 2016 movie. Glad they have that cancel purchase option.

Genuine question for the thread in general: do people really react like that to movies past the ages of childhood? Like I can see when you're younger, movies scaring the shit out of you to the point of nightmares and being scared to be in the dark and what not. But as an adult? That's never happened to me. You know it's not real. The closest was probably the first Paranormal Activity because the premise effectively used that notion that you're vunerable when you're asleep.
It doesn't happen to me anymore, but I still hold onto the film induced fears that captivated me as a child. This is kind of embarrassing, but after I watched Jeepers Creepers for the first time (around the age of 10) I was completely petrified, and it's still the most terrifying movie/character that I can think of today. Every time I drive by a field of corn I get a pit in my stomach, and the visualization of the Creeper rushing through it alongside my car begins to fill my head. I've seen a lot of horror movies, and started watching them at a young age, but that's the only one that's hit me that hard.

That being said, I do watch movies like a total baby. I usually have the volume on really low, and sometimes mute/look away if I feel like the scene is getting too tense. I'd never watch a horror in a theatre, because I need to have the power to mute/pause, etc. I scare easily and honestly in the moment, but I am able to remove myself from fiction afterwards.

Metalmarc

Any Horror T.V recommends Horror Gaf?

Currently Super lttp watching Supernatural - No spoilers please only at season 2, looking to watch some shows either alongside or when i finish Supernatural.

What I Have seen

Ash vs Evil Dead
Being Human UK
Munsters
Addams Family
Buffy (years ago)
Constantine
American Horror Story - Tried getting into Season 3 of AHS but never finished it, wanted to watch it due to witches,eh i dont know that i liked it that much, but maybe i will try the other seasons from 1..and finish 3 first.
Walking Dead - (Stopped halfway through season 2, i felt it slowed down a bit)

What i am considering watching

The Strain
Stranger things (i hear that its Slight horror/more Sci-Fi?)
Hannibal
Bates Motel

Excorcist and Damien when they get released, well maaaaaaybe depending how they turn out.

Anything else?

strafer

Genuine question for the thread in general: do people really react like that to movies past the ages of childhood? Like I can see when you're younger, movies scaring the shit out of you to the point of nightmares and being scared to be in the dark and what not. But as an adult? That's never happened to me. You know it's not real. The closest was probably the first Paranormal Activity because the premise effectively used that notion that you're vunerable when you're asleep.

Yes. A good horror movie can still scare the fuck out of me.

FloatOn

Currently Super lttp watching Supernatural - No spoilers please only at season 2, looking to watch some shows either alongside or when i finish Supernatural.

What I Have seen

Ash vs Evil Dead
Being Human UK
Munsters
Addams Family
Buffy (years ago)
Constantine
American Horror Story - Tried getting into Season 3 of AHS but never finished it, wanted to watch it due to witches,eh i dont know that i liked it that much, but maybe i will try the other seasons from 1..and finish 3 first.

The Strain
Hannibal
Bates Motel

Excorcist and Damien when they get released, well maaaaaaybe depending how they turn out.

Anything else?

Penny Dreadful and the american remake of Being Human

kai3345

Banned

What I Have seen

Ash vs Evil Dead
Being Human UK
Munsters
Addams Family
Buffy (years ago)
Constantine

The Strain
Hannibal
Bates Motel

Anything else?

MTV's Scream series is a real guilty pleasure of mine. It's corny, the acting is bad and it's not particularly scary, but the show does the "Whodunit?" mystery regarding the killer's identity really well and it's enough to carry the whole show.

lordxar

Harpers Island is slasher paradise for tv. If memory serves there are like a dozen episodes and between one and five people die in each.

Corpsepyre

Banned

What I Have seen

Ash vs Evil Dead
Being Human UK
Munsters
Addams Family
Buffy (years ago)
Constantine

The Strain
Hannibal
Bates Motel

Anything else?

Masters of Horror

Fear Itself

Aske

I'd like to watch a horror movie that's creepy and scary. It should leave me shivering and make me afraid of walking through the dark corridors of my apartment.

What should I watch?

What do you find creepy? Horror is much more subjective than many other genres - for example, it's no good recommending possession movies if the concept leaves you bored. Similarly, found footage movies tend to be very polarising.

Hit us with some examples of other movies you've liked, or genres like "sex tree", "ghost in doll", "old people", "undead beavers", "mental illness", "trapped in dream", "the UK", "apartments", "cannibals", "dads", "weird traps", "alternate satan dimension where your dick is a monster", etc.

Finally watched The Witch.
It was so different from most horror movies. I really liked it. So much atmosphere and dread built up. Not dread that lasts a few seconds before a jump scare, but just this heavy permeating dread that more terrible stuff would happen. Cool stuff, the end was chilling, if not very scary, if that makes sense haha.

Also watched They Look Like People on Netflix on a whim. Not good. Lots of slow building and hints all just to fizzle out in the end with absolutely no payoff.

This'll be my first year here for this, but I've been doing the 31 days, 31 movies challenge for at least the past 3 or 4 years, so I'm totally on board.

I sometimes like to amuse myself by putting together themed double features, like "UFO themed found footage" (Skinwalker Ranch and Alien Abduction".) I've got such a backlog at this point that the only real difficulty will be narrowing it down.

Monocle

What I Have seen

Ash vs Evil Dead
Being Human UK
Munsters
Addams Family
Buffy (years ago)
Constantine

The Strain
Hannibal
Bates Motel

Anything else?
Definitely watch Hannibal. It gets amazing in the latter half of S1. And S2 is just fantastic. Greatest season finale I've seen in a long time.

AHS S3 is a love it or hate it type of deal for a lot of people. The outrageous characters and witch theme totally worked for me, personally. Seasons 1 and 2 are definitely more accessible and traditional, in a good way. Season 5 is my personal favorite. Season 4 is the weakest but still entertaining.

Definitely watch Hannibal. It gets amazing in the latter half of S1. And S2 is just fantastic. Greatest season finale I've seen in a long time.

AHS S3 is a love it or hate it type of deal for a lot people. The outrageous characters and witch theme totally worked for me, personally. Seasons 1 and 2 are definitely more accessible and traditional, in a good way. Season 5 is my personal favorite. Season 4 is the weakest but still entertaining.
Another recommendation for Hannibal from me. The show does unease and tension really well and features the kind of queasy unsettling violence that you'd never expect from a network show in a million years.

The Walking Dead's violence is gory. Game of Throne's violence is shocking and brutally realistically.

Hannibal's violence makes your skin crawl

TheKeyPit

Banned
What do you find creepy? Horror is much more subjective than many other genres - for example, it's no good recommending possession movies if the concept leaves you bored. Similarly, found footage movies tend to be very polarising.

Hit us with some examples of other movies you've liked, or genres like "sex tree", "ghost in doll", "old people", "undead beavers", "mental illness", "trapped in dream", "the UK", "apartments", "cannibals", "dads", "weird traps", "alternate satan dimension where your dick is a monster", etc.

Conjuring, Sinister and Insidious, to mention some of the "recent" movies.

It would be phenomenal if a movie could make you feel as uncomfortable as playing Dead Space 1. The loneliness, the fear for the unknown, the unsettling audio when you hear something crawl through the vents above you.

T.O.P

Banned
Hannibal

Yes Yes YES to both

Anyway, about to watch

baskin-poster02.jpg

Remember really liking the trailer at the time, but reception doesn't seem so high atm

@nvm, first half where nothing happens is actually better than the second half where shit goes down, shame, concept was great :(

Aske

Conjuring, Sinister and Insidious, to mention some of the "recent" movies.

It would be phenomenal if a movie could make you feel as uncomfortable as playing Dead Space 1. The loneliness, the fear for the unknown, the unsettling audio when you hear something crawl through the vents above you.

Pandorum is probably a good bet for Dead Space fans. I'd also recommend the Evil Dead remake, The Descent if you've not seen it, and I'd also roll the dice on you appreciating It Follows. Less of a sure thing, buy you might enjoy Yellow Brick Road. I remember feeling let down by the ending at the time, but the ride up to the climax really suck with me. Oh, you know what? Grave Encounters. That should be a definite hit.

I just watched The Wailing, and ultimately found myself unimpressed. When all's said and done, it's a pretty standard possession flick with an ending that's purposefully impossible to unravel: not even the director seems to have an explanation in mind, judging by interviews with him. Rather, he's presenting the viewer with a series of events and saying "make of this what you will", which is certainly a valid storytelling technique; but I didn't think the final disjointed revelations fit the rest of the narrative especially well. Room for interpretation is generally a good thing, but in this case I think the movie drowns in it.

Don't Breathe was a pretty damn good horror thriller. I felt the first half was more horror, a tightly-wound exercise in claustrophobic tension. Lang was a very intense menacing presence, his hulking frame making him loom in the dark and within the tight corridors.

Later into the film, the movie shifted to more of a thriller tone, and I felt that Lang's Blind Man loses some of his fearsome menace once they established more of the plot.

Steamlord

Where the lists at? :)

I'm working on mine and need 10 more movies. Will I like Inferno if I liked Suspiria?

Probably. It's not as good, but it's still got the crazy colors and brutal kills and all that, and there's a scene near the beginning that's one of my favorites from Argento.

Where the lists at? :)

I'm working on mine and need 10 more movies. Will I like Inferno if I liked Suspiria?

I'm still working on my list, it'll need a lot of trimming as usual.
Inferno will probably be on it. It's looking to be very Italian heavy this year.

The thread for the marathon will be up once I finish the logo and figure out what the mandatory movies for this year will be.

@nvm, first half where nothing happens is actually better than the second half where shit goes down, shame, concept was great :(

Yeah, the first half, with its weird nightmare logic and implication and building dread, is actually pretty good.

Then it devolves into a poor man's attempt to mix Satanic imagery and New French Extremity sensibilities, and it's just boring and incoherent.

I still think it's probably a pretty good film to show anyone trying to understand the old "Kult" RPG, though.

Melchiah

Yeah, the first half, with its weird nightmare logic and implication and building dread, is actually pretty good.

Then it devolves into a poor man's attempt to mix Satanic imagery and New French Extremity sensibilities, and it's just boring and incoherent.

I still think it's probably a pretty good film to show anyone trying to understand the old "Kult" RPG, though.

Thanks for the spoilers.

Melchiah

I wouldn't consider vague descriptions of the nature of the imagery involved to be "spoilers", since it's literally all stuff shown in the trailer, but I'll sblock it anyway.

Well, that revealed a
twist
in the movie, and it's always better to experience something like that on first hand basis.

Well, that revealed a
twist
in the movie, and it's always better to experience something like that on first hand basis.

Eh, it's more like, "In a haunted house movie, the film moves from fake-out jump scares and building tension to a bunch of silly-looking ghosts in effects makeup near the end". And again, it's all stuff that's shown in the trailer.

But hey, can't hurt to err on the side of caution, I guess.

It's a movie that, based on the trailer, I wanted to be better than it was. As it is, I agree with Mark Kermode's review - it's basically half of a good movie, and it's not a terrible effort overall, but like so many other horror movies, it falls apart in the second half.

Melchiah

Eh, it's more like, "In a haunted house movie, the film moves from fake-out jump scares and building tension to a bunch of silly-looking ghosts in effects makeup near the end". And again, it's all stuff that's shown in the trailer.

But hey, can't hurt to err on the side of caution, I guess.

It's a movie that, based on the trailer, I wanted to be better than it was. As it is, I agree with Mark Kermode's review - it's basically half of a good movie, and it's not a terrible effort overall, but like so many other horror movies, it falls apart in the second half.

Huh, I don't remember seeing any of that in the trailer, but if it's already shown there it's no big deal.

It's disappointing, when a movie starts good and then goes down the drain, like Sinister.

Watched The Wailing (2016), an epic Korean horror film from the director of The Chaser and The Yellow Sea (both two of my favourite films) that'll most definitely attain cult status in some years. 150 minutes of rapid-fire visceral thrills and twists and turns that will have you scratching your heads. The ending deserves a special mention as well for being quite the gut punch. If you like your horror films engaging, brainstewing, brutal, yet with some dark humour, and without the fancy circus-like toppings of most Western outings, then give this one a go. Right now, it's easily in my top 5 films of the year. Fully recommended. American horror cinema should pack it up.

NOTE: Best to not watch any trailers or read into the plot too much.

TheWailing-406x600.jpg

Thanks for bringing this to my attention, The Chaser was fantastic and this sounds like it'll be right up my alley. I would have overlooked it based on that dull poster. I'm going to avoid the trailer and reading anything further on it as you suggested, so it'll be a blind viewing for me.

The blu-ray comes out in October too. Great timing. I'll definitely be checking this out.

This thread has really picked up, we must be getting close to the horrorthon!

I've got to find a way to somehow reduce the number of titles on my list. Whatever I end up with, it's going to be a great month.

So I rewatched ParaNorman for the first time since it came out last night, and honestly I forgot how great of a film it was. So many great horror references, some great scary imagery, and it doesn't feel anything like a kid movie at all.

imBask

Banned
huh I had no idea this thread was a thing!

hi

I've never been a horror fan until recently, but now i'm all in!I A month ago I finished a quest : watch every movie from the 4 big slasher franchises. I had never seen any of them previous to this challenge! I guess this is the place to share my thoughts

here's the complete list and grades. Just remember that those are super subjective, I wasn't grading them on anything really specific other than my overall enjoyment

It was hella fun except for a couple of rough spots, especially with the Halloween and Texas Chainsaw. Overall I think F13 was my favorite franchise, followed by Scream

i'm now also working on a secondary list (Liste Secondaire at the bottom there) and i'm just filling it with movies I wanna watch, slasher or not. I'll probably do another marathon in october, since I still have a billion classics to catch up on

hi

I've never been a horror fan until recently, but now i'm all in!I A month ago I finished a quest : watch every movie from the 4 big slasher franchises. I had never seen any of them previous to this challenge! I guess this is the place to share my thoughts

here's the complete list and grades. Just remember that those are super subjective, I wasn't grading them on anything really specific other than my overall enjoyment

It was hella fun except for a couple of rough spots, especially with the Halloween and Texas Chainsaw. Overall I think F13 was my favorite franchise, followed by Scream

i'm now also working on a secondary list (Liste Secondaire at the bottom there) and i'm just filling it with movies I wanna watch, slasher or not. I'll probably do another marathon in october, since I still have a billion classics to catch up on

I was going to bitch about your Halloween 3 score being too low while Zombie's films were too high, then I saw your score for The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. :(

Also, your New Beginning and Jason Lives grades must have got mixed up. :p

hi

A+ for Halloween. Good tastes. It's probably my favorite in the entire genre, it does suspense really well and opts for tension over jump scares and gratuitous gore.

Edit: Good tastes except for that Texas Chainsaw Massacre score :p

imBask

Banned
I was going to bitch about your Halloween 3 score being too low while Zombie's films were too high, then I saw your score for The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. :(

I really hated Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Maybe it was just a time and place thing, but hearing the lead actress scream nonstop for the last 30 minutes of the movie drove me insane... I really don't know, that whole setting didn't click for me at all

the Rob Zombie's films were alriiight, especially after Resurrection :lol they're just different

A+ for Halloween. Good tastes. It's probably my favorite in the entire genre, it does suspense really well and opts for tension over jump scares and gratuitous gore.

Edit: Good tastes except for that Texas Chainsaw Massacre score :p

Halloween is incredible, and it aged really well. It didn't feel outdated at all, the tension was great, everything was great

I really hated Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Maybe it was just a time and place thing, but hearing the lead actress scream nonstop for the last 30 minutes of the movie drove me insane... I really don't know, that whole setting didn't click for me at all

the Rob Zombie's films were alriiight, especially after Resurrection :lol they're just different
So the movie was really effective then?

I watched it for the first time this month
Finally saw the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre. While I think it dragged in some scenes and it's not shocking as it probably was 40 years ago, man, it had some really unsettling scenes.

I really liked that opening. The creaking nails-on-chalkboard camera shutter with the shots of body parts and remains really set the raw tone and atmosphere perfectly

Leatherface's debut was fantastic. I wish more horror movies did that. No build-up, no creepy music or perspective shots or obvious "time-to-reveal-the-monster" set-up. Just broad daylight, Leatherface out of nowhere, hammer to the skull, slam the door. So effective

sg4WjPe.gif

And of course the dinner scene was just like 15 minutes of madness. Terrifying nightmare stuff, from bringing Grandpa down to him sucking the blood to them sitting around the table and Sally's chair having literal arms and bringing out the hammer.

Probably the most interesting thing about the movie was how much it happens during the day. That makes it scarier in a way. The tropes of modern horror condition you not to expect horrible stuff to go down during the day, and especially not with the suddenness of TCM's horror

It actually took a few years for Chainsaw to click with me, I initially had similar reactions to yours. Now it's in my top 3 horror films.

You're correct about Zombie's films, they certainly are different. I do have an appreciation for the H2 despite thinking that it's still a bad film.

So the movie was really effective then?

I watched it for the first time this month

The sound cue when we initially meet Leatherface and he slams that door is probably one of my favorites in all of film.

Top Bottom