• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hot GCN import games?

Hero

So asides from the Naruto: Gekitou Ninja Taisen 2 love and my Silver Game Boy Player, I haven't been using my modded Gamecube much. Soul Calibur 2 and Viewtiful have been shelved.

I was thinking of picking up another import relatively soon, but I'm having a tough time deciding.

First up is Donkey Konga. I was going to get it when it came out but Naruto won that out. It's only 55 plus shipping at Lik-Sang right now. Even though it's coming out in the U.S., it does have different songs. Is it import friendly/

I was looking at the One Piece games next since I heard they were like Power Stone. Anybody have real reports on them?

Castle of Shikigami II. I love 2D shooters, but at 64 dollars still I think I'd rather wait. Or play it on my friend's Dreamcast.

Pikmin II I would, but it is coming out soon here.

The last candidate is probably Paper Mario 2 since it comes out next month from what I heard. Although I'm not great at reading Japanese (at least kanji) so I'm not so sure about this.

jarrod

Banned
Drill Land seems to be the only essential GC import besides Naruto 2. The Hudson Selections line might be good too (and they're cheap). Maybe Bomberman Land 2 as well.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Why the hell hasn't Naruto 2 come out over here yet? What are they waiting for? By the time the rights for the show get picked up it'll be the next gen already. I want my American copy of Naruto 2 now. The fact that it's a good, multiplayer, Gamecube exclusive fighting game alone pretty much guarantees good sales.

When did Mr Driller: Drill Land get released? Stateside release date?

Shiggy

I think Mother 1&2 and Giftpia are good games which won't be released here. Also Animal Crossing was a hot import game, but it will come later this year.

bjork

Hero said:
I was looking at the One Piece games next since I heard they were like Power Stone. Anybody have real reports on them?

I've got One Piece Treasure Battle, and it's pretty fun. But a comparison to Power Stone is kind of a stretch... it is 3D and you can throw background objects and such, but it's more like SSBM meets Power Stone meets Mario Party or something.

There are different parts to the game, like a capture the flag-style game with treasure chests, and racing across obstacle courses. I've only had a chance to play through it once, but it seems pretty fun (I played solo), and I'm sure it'd be great with 2 or more players.

There is a supposedly Donkey Konga Kombo pack coming out on July 1st along side the release of Donkey Konga 2: Hit Song Parade. It apprently contains both Donkey Konga and Donke Konga 2 along with a konga drum. 7000 Yen, I'm guessing about $80 imported.

I'll be buying it.

The only thing is, it's only been reported on gc-inside.com and nowhere else. No importers have it listed, and I can't find it on Nintendo's site. But I figure it's worth the wait until July 1st to find out of it's real. GC-Inside is pretty reliable, so I'm guessing it'll happen.

Edit: found a confirmation. It's got a listing on Amazon.co.jp
http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos...0380/sr=1-4/ref=sr_1_10_4/250-5263210-0635449
The price is actually 7,980 yen which is still a pretty good price.

another vote for Mr Driller Drill Land. Ive probably played close to 60 hours in the last two weeks amd havent been ablt to play anything else except for a little UT2k4. Its the cutest shit ever, I love this game. Easily woth every penny.

<------- meet Puchi :) the spaz dog

Soul4ger

Yet another vote for Mr. Driller. Also, the Hudson Classics, minus Lode Runner, are fan-fucking-tastic. Tengai Makyou 2 is cool, as an RPG. I hear Giftpia is neat, but you need to know the language to fully enjoy it; I haven't checked it out yet.

jarrod

Banned
Nintendo Puzzle Collection and Doshin the Giant might be good too. Doshin even got an english PAL release. All-Star TV World Fighters looks fun too, even if it's N64 level visuals... I'm a little surprised Konami didn't bring it over.

I'm also a little surprised nobody's picked up Naruto 2 for western release really. Every fighter that gets released on GameCube seems to do well here (SSBM, Bloody Roar PF, Soul Calibur 2, Mortal Kombat DA, CVS2EO) and Naruto 2 is a actually a rather unique exclusive even (which ensures some level of publicity among the GC faithfull).

brandonnn

BEAUTY&SEXY
Soul4ger said:
Also, the Hudson Classics, minus Lode Runner, are fan-fucking-tastic.

Cubic Lode Runner is actually my favorite of the four, but if you're going for that, you've already got a pretty good idea whether you like Lode Runner or not.

Toss another vote in the Drill Land pile, and the Doshin pile as well (PAL version, of course -- you'll have to FreeLoad).

Puzzle Collection is still tentatively on the stateside release schedule, isn't it?

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Doshin is ok. They should have made it a little deeper. Still, it's in English and it's wacky so you might consider it worth getting (I did).

I want to import Drill Land but it doesn't save with FreeLoader disc. That sucks.

Everyone seems to like Naruto, so I'm going to get that. I see the impressions here are very positive for the Hudson releases but my impression on reading reviews at import friendly sites is that they are really bad. I was thinking about getting their shooter but bad reviews pushed me away.

atomsk

Party Pooper
Konga is fantastic (espessially if you don't care for what the US songlist will be) just make sure you HAVE a modded cube. freeloader will NOT allow you to save (same with Mr Driller)

Konga disc 2 in a little less than 2 weeks. WOO!

as far as being import friendly, the menu's are a bit tricky until you figure them out. gamefaqs has the translations, so no biggie

jarrod

Banned
Mastiff should really look into bringing over DrillLand or Naturo 2. Both seem right up their alley.... I wonder if Space Raiders did okay?

Hero

Ah, I forgot about Mr Driller-Drill Land. Maybe that.

Donkey Konga 1 + 2 combo pack? If it's true, I'll definitely get that.

No impressions of Castle of Shikigama II?

Naruto 2 is really great. It's a lot of fun, and even more so if you follow the anime. I wish some company would get the rights to release the game here but since Naruto is a hot I.P. I doubt anyone interested in doing it could afford it.

And yes, my Gamecube is modded, so I don't deal with any Freeloader bullshit nonsense.

Soul4ger

I have Shikigami 2, it's awesome. But the Xbox version is coming here, for $20 no less. The PS2 port is as well, but I understand that's the worst one by far. The GC game is great fun, definitely recommended, but it's expensive, and XS is bringing two of the others.

Soul4ger

jarrod said:
Mastiff should really look into bringing over DrillLand or Naturo 2. Both seem right up their alley.... I wonder if Space Raiders did okay?

Funny Space Raiders story. If you want it, go to EB. Stores never got it in new, but warehouse just shipped them as pre-owned products. You can get it in new condition for $12.99, if you're lucky.

Hero

Oni Link 666 said:
If you're an Adventure Island fan, get the remake. It's good, olsdchool platforming fun and you can get it for like $23.

Where can I get it for 23 dollars?

aku:jiki

Musashi Wins! said:
I see the impressions here are very positive for the Hudson releases but my impression on reading reviews at import friendly sites is that they are really bad. I was thinking about getting their shooter but bad reviews pushed me away.
I agree with whatever reviews you read. :p

Adventure Island is good in that it's the exact same game but with terrible graphics this time around, and some rad unlockables. Not bad for what it is, but I'd never pay a dime over $20 for it if I had a choice.

I can see liking it, kind of, but I really can't see how Soul4ger comes off calling Star Soldier "fan-fucking-tastic". :p It's not absolutely horrid, but the game really doesn't stand up well against the competition. On GC you've got SNS2, and on PS2 you have a whole host (including two Cave titles!) of much better shooters to choose from. Only get if you're either a huge fan of the original or like slow and dull shooters.

Soul4ger

aku:jiki said:
I agree with whatever reviews you read. :p

Adventure Island is good in that it's the exact same game but with terrible graphics this time around, and some rad unlockables. Not bad for what it is, but I'd never pay a dime over $20 for it if I had a choice.

I can see liking it, kind of, but I really can't see how Soul4ger comes off calling Star Soldier "fan-fucking-tastic". :p It's not absolutely horrid, but the game really doesn't stand up well against the competition. On GC you've got SNS2, and on PS2 you have a whole host (including two Cave titles!) of much better shooters to choose from. Only get if you're either a huge fan of the original or like slow and dull shooters.

I was saying it was "fan-fucking-tastic" as a value game. And it is good, retro-style fun. I don't mind that it's simplistic, it plays frenetic enough. ::shrugs::

If you want to spend $70 apiece for DDPDOJ and ESRgaluda, go for it. But I think Star Soldier is worth $20.

JackFrost2012 said:
MAYBE that?!

You are dead to me. :(

For real. I've hyped up the Drill Land so much in the past that I almost held back from throwing my two cents in here, but I just can't help it. Drill Land is one of the finest games on the Gamecube or any other console in any genre from the last few years and anyone who doubts its awesomeness - even slightly - is a sucka. Buy it NOW!

If you own a GameCube capable of playing Japanese GC games and you don't own a 3000y new copy of Drillland then you should be SHOT. In the HEAD. With a CANNONBALL.

Aw, Star Soldier ain't that bad. It's got cool music!

A GLORY-style death is too good for people who don't own DrillLand. Set them on fire, like that dude at the beginning of LIONHEART.

Hero

JackFrost2012 said:
If you own a GameCube capable of playing Japanese GC games and you don't own a 3000y new copy of Drillland then you should be SHOT. In the HEAD. With a CANNONBALL.

If it wouldn't cost me 60 dollars to get, I'd be all over it. Find me a cheap place to buy it and I'll get it. :p

Top Bottom