• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hot take: Zelda BotW is ass

Cyberpunkd

So with kids I gave up on playing on PS5 for the foreseeable future. So I embraced my Switch.
Recently I borrowed BotW, played for a few hours.

1. Graphics are bland. I guess it’s due to the art style.
2. Hyrule is empty AF.
3. Lots of busywork - hoard ingredients, make recipes (which are not listed anywhere so you need to memorise them and then manually add ingredients to make each dish separately, hoard weapons.
4. Traversal was novel for a few hours, then finding a temple with each basic puzzle inside becomes very tedious. Wow, I had this idea to run around the mountain for 10 minutes while trying to climb it to finally get to the top. Incredible experience.
5. Main gripe: story is non-existent, side quests are terrible.

So I gave the game back and installed Witcher 3.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
So with kids I gave up I will be playing on PS5 for the foreseeable future. So I embraced my Switch.

2. Hyrule is empty AF.
3. Lots of busywork - hoard ingredients, make recipes (which are not listed anywhere so you need to memorise them and then manually add ingredients to make each dish separately, hoard weapons.
4. Traversal was novel for a few hours, then finding a temple with each basic puzzle inside becomes very tedious. Wow, I had this idea to run around the mountain for 10 minutes while trying to climb it to finally get to the top. Incredible experience.

Anticipation Popcorn GIF

amigastar

I liked the graphics since i like Cell Shaded graphics but other than that it was a disappointment for me. It's not a bad game no that not, but i didn't like it as a Zelda game.

So with kids I gave up I will be playing on PS5 for the foreseeable future. So I embraced my Switch.

2. Hyrule is empty AF.

Vice Tv Truth GIF by STICK TO SPORTS

Lokaum D+

- Art style is great, playing on Yuzu at 4k is great, problem is Nintendo hardware is weak then my phone.

2. Hyrule is empty AF.
- Agreed

- i like prep food, weapons stash and durability is ass.

- Agreed

- Every Zelda game aside from Twilight Princess imo.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

This isn't a hot take, it's an opinion and that's more than fine, lol. I actually enjoyed BotW when I revisited it a couple of years later after not digging it at all. But after revisiting it, I enjoyed it so much so that I beat it.

Witcher 3 I played at launch, ran into a number of bugs, and put it down. I heard it got better and better as time went one with QoL features and fixes. But I just never cared enough to go back as the game didn't really hold my attention as a whole. 🤷‍♂️

Na it's pretty great. I will say though, both BoTW and ToTK are massively overrated. They are great games, but neither are top 5 Zelda games.

Really wish Nintendo still made classic Zelda games and BoTW/ToTK were just a new IP.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

2. Hyrule is empty AF.

ToTK fixes all these complaints and is the true GOTY.

BOTW feels like a ubisoft game in comparison.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Im disappointed that TOTK will win GOTY when Baldurs deserves it more. Actual story, meaningful choices, side quests that look like main quests, etc.
Eh, there's lots of GotY awards. The big TGA one is basically a popularity contest anyway.

If it wins, then fair enough, I don't really care.

Mythoclast

I dont get why you shoud you care? Even ToTK wins GOTY, that not gonna change how feel about Baldurs Gate, If you enjoyed that game more then thats gonna be your GOTY.
You have a point, yes, but ultimately GOTY gives a game more recognition and more sales, more revenue to recognize the developers to put an even bigger budget on their next game

Impotaku

2. Hyrule is empty AF.

e26.jpg

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
You have a point, yes, but ultimately GOTY gives a game more recognition and more sales, more revenue to recognize the developers to put an even bigger budget on their next game
There are games who never won any GOTY and still sale tones of copy. I don't get people who stress over what games wins GOTY.

This year Armoured Core VI could very well be my GOTY, it doesn't matter if popular media recognize it or not.

dano1

A Sheep
I think the graphics are fine but I agree with everything else.
I’ll take old Zelda any day!!

Chastten

Banned
Is that such a hot take though? I've always felt that both BotW and TotK are very decisive with a lot of people absolutely loving it, but also a lot of people who really don't. And that's fine. I understand most of the criticism, even if those points don't bother me personally. I'd rate BotW one of my top 10 games of all time, and TotK a solid 9/10.

And honestly, the same could be said for a lot of big games. You mention the Witcher, and although I've tried to get into those games three different times, all three times I gave up from boredom in less then 3 hours. Even though I'm sure they're great games, the slow, boring combat and ugly aesthetic just kills it for me. And that's fine. Plenty of games to play.

Inanilmaz

2. Hyrule is empty AF.

Same. Don't know what people like about this game and so many of them too, But Flies like poop too and i don't question it. It is what it is.

Oberstein

2i8jbQ7.gif

But okay, let's be honest, the series can't rest on Botw/Totk achievements now.

The next episode must drastically change the "Witcher 3-like + sandbox mechanics".

Top Bottom