• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hot take: Zelda BotW is ass

Cyberpunkd

kWZIXjU.gif
That’s what my wife calls me.
I was willing to put up with all your bullshit until this last sentence.

greys-anatomy-meredith-grey.gif
Some people have no taste.
I agree with you, BUT Witcher 3 is also boring and bloated AF.

I just can’t stand 200 hr Ubisoft open world games anymore.
I don’t know, I never get tired of playing W3, the side quests are incredibly satisfying. Trying to make a Heavy/Potion build now, always spammed Quen.
To appreciate Breath of the Wild you must Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind.
I love that movie and all others from Miyazaki, but this is not it. Also Macross DYRL.
It's not even a hot take. I'll add that it's not just ass, it's astonishingly boring ass.
I guess this is it. Once the initial novelty wears off I find it very boring to continue without a strong main quest and world building.
Was it really that long?
Genshin Impact is better imo
Gatcha can go die in Gerudo Mountain fire.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I got bored probably around teh 40 hour mark but I continued to 100% the game until about hour 88. So ya I loved the game I just think it could have been a bit more exciting with more enemy variety.

The world discovery is unrivaled.

Hugare

I got bored probably around teh 40 hour mark but I continued to 100% the game until about hour 88. So ya I loved the game I just think it could have been a bit more exciting with more enemy variety.

Confused Liam Neeson GIF

I get people loving the game for many reasons. But when people say its due to exploration, discovery and etc. I feel like i'm taking crazy pills

Sidequests are terrible, good loot is non existent. All you find are Korok Seeds and shrines.

It's one of the worse open world games in terms of exploration that I've ever played. There's nothing meaningful to find.

TotK improves this aspect slightly, but not as much as it should have

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Confused Liam Neeson GIF

I get people loving the game for many reasons. But when people say its due to exploration, discovery and etc. I feel like i'm taking crazy pills

Sidequests are terrible, good loot is non existent. All you find are Korok Seeds and shrines.

It's one of the worse open world games in terms of exploration that I've ever played. There's nothing meaningful to find.

TotK improves this aspect slightly, but not as much as it should have

I definitely understand your view. But for me it wasn't about the rewards. I didn't care that I got some sword or a korok seed for a quest or just exploration. One of my favorite parts of the game I remember early I saw a big hill I was wondering what was on top I worked my way up and I remember when I got to the top there was ... nothing. There was nothign there. Just some grass blowing in the wind with a chill soundtrack playing. That's when I realized the exploration itself was the reward.

Ceadeus

Gold Member
Yes it's the type of game you find your own fun and needs lot of patience and know you won't be rewarded playing this game.

Gone are the feeling of accomplishment playing botw or totk

Hugare

I definitely understand your view. But for me it wasn't about the rewards. I didn't care that I got some sword or a korok seed for a quest or just exploration. One of my favorite parts of the game I remember early I saw a big hill I was wondering what was on top I worked my way up and I remember when I got to the top there was ... nothing. There was nothign there. Just some grass blowing in the wind with a chill soundtrack playing. That's when I realized the exploration itself was the reward.
I kinda see your point since I've finished Death Stranding, and that game was all about the journey.

But I think that the gameplay systems are so simple in BOTW, that I cant find much enjoyment in it. So much so that I enjoyed TotK way more due to its improvements in this regard.

Humdinger

I agree the story is non-existent and there is a lot of busywork. But that's Zelda; there is never much of a story. And people who enjoy the collecting and crafting don't consider it busywork. Now granted, that's not me. I like a good story and characters, and I am not a big fan of collecting and crafting loops. I got annoyed with the puzzles, too. On the other hand, I enjoyed the exploration, some of the combat, and the relaxed atmosphere. To me, it was an okay game, but it didn't grab me the way it did other people.

Gorgon

"And thus Siddhartha achieved Enlightenment and became the Buddha."

Thief1987

I guess this is it. Once the initial novelty wears off I find it very boring to continue without a strong main quest and world building.
Pretty much. Systems and gimmicks could be fun for some hours, but when you realize that the game doesn't provide anything worthwhile beside them it immediately falls apart.

Last edited:

Muffdraul

I remember the first time I played BotW, right after Horizon Zero Dawn. It felt so empty and dead and lifeless, it was actually creeping me out. It was unsettling. And I just generally wasn't enjoying it much, I'd become pretty down on Zelda as a franchise because Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword sucked so much ass. (btw, SS was very big on story for a Zelda game, and that didn't help it from sucking.) So I put it down and went back and re-played Horizon, which I had really loved. A week later I was done with my second Horizon playthrough and was thoroughly burned out on it, and went back to BotW. I soon reached the first horse stable, then I reached the first populated town (Kakariko) and it didn't feel all that empty to me after that. By the time I finished it, it was my GotY and my favorite Zelda since Ocarina. I've replayed it like 10 times since it came out, and I don't speed run to the final boss or anything. I played the whole thing.

Last edited:

SenkiDala

So with kids I gave up I will be playing on PS5 for the foreseeable future. So I embraced my Switch.
Recently I borrowed BotW, played for a few hours.

1. Graphics are bland. I guess it’s due to the art style.
2. Hyrule is empty AF.
3. Lots of busywork - hoard ingredients, make recipes (which are not listed anywhere so you need to memorise them and then manually add ingredients to make each dish separately, hoard weapons.
4. Traversal was novel for a few hours, then finding a temple with each basic puzzle inside becomes very tedious. Wow, I had this idea to run around the mountain for 10 minutes while trying to climb it to finally get to the top. Incredible experience.
5. Main gripe: story is non-existent, side quests are terrible.

So I gave the game back and installed Witcher 3.
Sadly can't disagree.

Laieon

Aren't asses in these days?

As a boobs-man, I'll agree with you in that BOTW was definitely not for me.

I agree with you, BUT Witcher 3 is also boring and bloated AF.

I just can’t stand 200 hr Ubisoft open world games anymore.
you honestly can't tell the difference between what ubisoft open worlds were doing and what the Witcher 3 was doing?

you don't care about quest quality at all do you?

also ubisoft didn't create an open map with side quests... that existed in morrowind, Fallout 3, Oblivion and skyrim before the Witcher 3 and ubisoft did it. just the Witcher 3 did it with cinematic and creative cohesion not sacrificed, which has never been done.

so knowing that...why did you mention ubisoft? short memory?

thuGG_pl

It's not ass, it;s a good game, but on most points I agree,. I put ~ 80 hours on BOTW but eventually I got bored and abandoned it.
W3 I was hooked from start to finish. Different games for different tastes.

I also, I've noticed something...people that act like totk or elden ring is the second coming tend to not like the Witcher 3.

what both those former games have in common is...there is no story and you run around doing alot of fuck shit and/or fighting. The same dude bro that skips dialogue because all gaming is to him is reward and play play play. totk and FROM appeal to that gamer more than the Witcher 3 or mass effect does IMO

thuGG_pl

I think Elden Ring beats it.

So you only like aaa cinematic movie games. Not all games are for everyone.
did you just start gaming? why are games with production value and story being typecast as "cinematic movie games" seems like a way to pre-emptively excuse the games that don't have one lol

similar to how people in hip hop now call rappers with intelligent lyrics "lyrical" in order to categorize them away from the shitty rappers with bad lyrics lol can't just say they are better rappers now can we? same with games.

zeldaring

Banned
Personally loved the game, both the visuals and gameplay.....I take this over Witcher 3's crappy combat any day.
Honestly the witcher 3 combat was ok from i remember aft first but after you understand it becomes boring as fuck cause their is no challnge. this was years ago and combat has improved vastly though it probably shit for today stands just like zelda is.

thuGG_pl

I also, I've noticed something...people that act like totk or elden ring is the second coming tend to not like the Witcher 3.

what both those former games have in common is...there is no story and you run around doing alot of fuck shit and/or fighting. The same dude bro that skips dialogue because all gaming is to him is reward and play play play. totk and FROM appeal to that gamer more than the Witcher 3 or mass effect does IMO
Not true W3 was a masterpiece as is ER is also. Both games are in my top 10 of all time.

did you just start gaming? why are games with production value and story being typecast as "cinematic movie games" seems like a way to pre-emptively excuse the games that don't have one lol

similar to how people in hip hop now call rappers with intelligent lyrics "lyrical" in order to categorize them away from the shitty rappers with bad lyrics lol can't just say they are better rappers now can we? same with games.
Owl Reaction GIF by Honda

MagnesD3

I mean its very overrated and pretty much killed incredible puzzle design in zelda but it definitely had the best open world ever created at the time so I wouldnt call it ass, it was good for what it was.

TotK proves that BotW was always overrated. It had the right idea, but it was deeply flawed. A Link Between Worlds had the map of A Link to the Past, but A Link to the Past never became obsolete, because it's still a masterpiece. Meanwhile, TotK renders BotW useless. Imagine ever wanting to go back climbing some empty mountain for 10 minutes to find nothing but a shitty korok seed - while praying that it doesn't start raining.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

I’ve heard a similar take with Kingdom Come Deliverance. Going off the beaten path and finding nothing.

let me talk slower...

why are you using "cinematic movie game" to describe games that simply are video games with story and up to date production values?

should be standard practice in 2023 right?
Some people just like flashy games. Nothing wrong with that. Not here to talk about rappers and "what year is it 'standard practices' and such.

Top Bottom