• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hot take: Zelda BotW is ass

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
TotK proves that BotW was always overrated. It had the right idea, but it was deeply flawed. A Link Between Worlds had the map of A Link to the Past, but A Link to the Past never became obsolete, because it's still a masterpiece. Meanwhile, TotK renders BotW useless. Imagine ever wanting to go back climbing some empty mountain for 10 minutes to find nothing but a shitty korok seed - while praying that it doesn't start raining.
Yeah, it's a good thing you don't hunt after Korok seeds and the same armor sets and faerie upgrade materials again in TotK, on the same map. Imagine if TotK was actually like that!

Some people just like flashy games. Nothing wrong with that. Not here to talk about rappers and "what year is it 'standard practices' and such.
it's called drawing an example, nobody honestly expected you to talk about rappers. Jesus christ lol

gotta keep it real simple I guess

sigmaZ

1. Graphics are bland. I guess it’s due to the art style.
I mean it's a Switch game, so I don't know what you were expecting. There are other unspeakable means to play which greatly enhance the graphics though.
2. Hyrule is empty AF.
Yes. This is true. I don't think they got the spacing of content quite right. Unfortunately I think that was intentional though to create a sense of vastness.
3. Lots of busywork - hoard ingredients, make recipes (which are not listed anywhere so you need to memorise them and then manually add ingredients to make each dish separately, hoard weapons.
Agreed. They fixed a lot of this with Totk in my opinion. It's odd that they didn't get it right the first time though. I think it was their first experience with open world so they took some well-intentioned but odd approaches.
4. Traversal was novel for a few hours, then finding a temple with each basic puzzle inside becomes very tedious. Wow, I had this idea to run around the mountain for 10 minutes while trying to climb it to finally get to the top. Incredible experience.
Indeed. The concept of the temples and how they related to each other was cool but the actual temples themselves were quite lame and very disappointing for a series that is known for it's dungeons. The shrines were also boring after awhile.
5. Main gripe: story is non-existent, side quests are terrible.
There is technically a story, but that's not why I would play a Zelda or Souls game. I want to environment to tell the story. Zelda BotW and Totk both suffer from text bloat which is a very odd thing considering the series. I'm perfectly content with NPC's have characteristic one-liners unless conditions change in a game like this.
So I gave the game back and installed Witcher 3.
From one broken game to another, but if you're in it for story Witcher 3 is definitely better in that regard.

I didn't like BotW and I still haven't bothered to try TotK yet.

Not everything is for everyone and I'm ok with that. I have plenty of games which do interest me that I can play.

Pimpbaa

I loved BOTW, but I replayed it too much. TOTK feels like yet another playthrough of BOTW. But man, that first play though of BOTW was magical for me

S0ULZB0URNE

The only noteworthy issue I have is the lack of Dungeons.

link-zelda.gif

NinjaBoiX

As much as I loved it I’m genuinely surprised with how universally praised this game was, given how divisive its core design is. It’s incredibly well designed (over-zealous weapon degradation and bullshit “don’t try to climb anything when it’s raining, which is like 20-30% of the time” aside) and it’s just lovely to spend time with. But yeah, it is kind of barren and aimless, even coming from someone who loved it.

It’s one of those rare games where most of the negative comments I hear about it are actually the reasons I loved it.

More so than most, you really do either vibe with it or not, and I can absolutely appreciate opinions on either side.
I dont get why should you care? Even ToTK wins GOTY, that not gonna change how feel about Baldurs Gate, If you enjoyed that game more then thats gonna be your GOTY.
You rarely make a post that I don’t agree with, or at least respect your opinion.

You’ve got a very agreeable manner about you chief.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
IT.IS.OVERRATED.

I said it many times, not sure how it got GOTY.

World is really empty and theres not alot of variety.

Those "unique" weapons are trash and broke easily as well.

Majority of the loot are trash and lets not talk about the shitty 400 collectible crap

Lethal01

my only big complaint is that the controls for melee combat system/combat system in general are bad especially when fighting many opponents,
The lock on is finnicky and that lock on is tied to your dodge and your block bringing the whole system down.
The positive outweigh the negatives my a landslide.

iHaunter

I beat it and thought it was heavily overrated. Tears is no different. Very few enemy types and a laggy empty world. Meh.

bender

What time is it?
BOTW is one of the greatest open world games ever created. Every inch feels handcrafted and the sandbox is wonderful because they layer systems upon systems upon systems. The traversal system is wonderful and just reaching certain areas feels satisfying which in turn incentivizes you to keep exploring and upgrading. I do believe that Revali's Gale can cheapen the experience which is why I'm glad I did all of the shrines before tackling the main quest. I can also understand gripes about the main questline, story, and weapon durability, but all of that was forgivable in my eyes as I just loved the sense of adventure.

Yeah, it's a good thing you don't hunt after Korok seeds and the same armor sets and faerie upgrade materials again in TotK, on the same map. Imagine if TotK was actually like that!
The amount of unique content, traversal options, rewards and overall things to find is significantly higher in TotK.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
I struggled to finish BoTW, same way I'm struggling to finishing ToTK.

There's something about Zelda games that simply makes me drift away from them after a while, go play something else and comeback later on to finish them.

Still, overall I think ToTK is better than BotW.

Last edited:

Hudo

Man, first the "Playstation gameplay is trash" thread and now this. GAF is on a roll with shit takes all around this weekend it seems!

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I wouldn't call it ass, but it's seriously flawed in ways that seldom get acknowledged.

• A lot of the mechanics seem designed to annoy rather than challenge. Like not being able to climb when it rains. Why not just come to my house and unplug my controller, that sounds like fun. Or random lightning.
  • Lack of bespoke dungeon content is disappointing. We get a few real proper dungeons and a lot of puzzle rooms.
  • Traversal mechanics aren't great

I still think the game is a solid 7, maybe 8, but I don't love it the way protective Nintendo fans do.

I struggled to finish BoTW, same way I'm struggling to finishing ToTK.

There's something about Zelda games that simply makes me drift away from them after a while, go play something else and comeback later on to finish them.
Dead on. Happens to me in every Zelda game, but I always come back.

Oddly enough I deliberately stopped playing ToTK because I didn't want it to end. 😂

LordCBH

I disagree. It’s great. But it’s also put on a higher pedestal than it deserves.

And what’s most annoying is I know nintendo will never make another classic 3D zelda style game again because everyone ate these two new games up.

Last edited:

Stafford

I agree with things like empty world, I didn't think the map was that great. But I had tons of fun with just messing around with the gameplay systems. That's where the game shines and I bet shines even more in Tears.

I did miss the traditional dungeons though, oh for sure. That being said, for me Breath is vastly overrated.

iHaunter

I got bored probably around teh 40 hour mark but I continued to 100% the game until about hour 88. So ya I loved the game I just think it could have been a bit more exciting with more enemy variety.

The world discovery is unrivaled.
I disagree. I think Elden Ring and Skyrim did Worl Discovery FAR better. I do wish there was no Map in Elden Ring. But it's too complicated a world.

BOTW was far too basic of a game IMHO.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I tried to get into game several times OP but it kept not clicking with me.

Then I played it in 4k on my PC. Couldn’t put it down.

There’s a story —- go find all 13 memories.

Honestly for me I had to just set these as my core objectives and the game was a blast :

*See all 13 memories
*Do all of the Divine Beasts
*Get the Master Sword
*Beat final boss

In doing so I didn’t feel like anytime was wasted or that I lost interest. Just got to do all of the meat and fun stuff of the game.

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
Hot take reply
>Complains about graphics
>Played Witcher 3 on switch

The hipocrisy...

Seriously, now:

95% of botw fun relies on your creativity. If don't find it fun coming up with new ways to do the same objective, the game will fall flat for you.

Judging by your main complain, I don't think being creative is what you wanted when you started.

95% of botw fun relies on your creativity. If don't find it fun coming up with new ways to do the same objective, the game will fall flat for you.

this. There's a reason that much of the popularity of Nintendo products comes from the vaunted 0-6 month old age range; these spry young'uns have a lot of energy, and everything is new to them, so the joy of play is much more acute. They don't even understand what's happening on the screen. It's like magic.

RyRy93

Anyone playing down the greatness of TW3 or BOTW because they’re just Ubisoft games needs to play them both and then Valhalla straight after.

You’ll realize how interesting the world and characters of TW3 are and how surprising the emergent gameplay is in BOTW while it is non-existent in Valhalla.

Last edited:

zeldaring

Banned
I think it's a great game, not in my top 10 but a great game, and one of the the best open world games ever. The game that i think is ass and made for the skill level of a child is mario gaalxy how in the hell is that rated a 97 on metracritic. The fact that the game won game of the generation here boggles my mind.

Last edited:
Eh, I think it's a pretty good game I think but it has some annoying flaws and some baffling choices.

- There's almost no music! Apart from the music at the stables I can't remember any song from the game. Lots of the music that's there is also just weird and not really memorable like I'm used to with Zelda games. Huge drawback for me.

- The rain and the lightning. It's so annoying and almost ruins the game for me. Oh it started raining, guess I can't climb here now for a few minutes! Oh there's lightning, I guess I'll just fast travel somewhere and wait for it to stop. It doesn't add any fun or challenge, it's just annoying.

- Horse traversal is pretty shit. You need to be close to your horse to call it, it's very limited in where it can ride so you need to leave it constantly to walk, and the controls are just bad. Which means I end up just running a lot of the time which is a waste of time since such a huge part of the map is just empty with nothing meaningful going on.

- The lack of proper dungeons, like everyone in the world has already pointed out. The Divine Beasts and everything around those missions are amazing and so much fun. But now I felt like outside of these four missions the game doesn't contain a lot of meaningful stuff to do for me.

If they just added good music, like a proper Zelda theme, an overworld theme etc to get me pumped during gameplay - and 10-20 more dungeons/castles at least the size of the divine beasts missions, then it would be a masterpiece.

Now it's maybe an 8/10, I appreciate the effort. But it's mind-blowing to me, the praise this game has got.

Cyberpunkd

I agree with you, BUT Witcher 3 is also boring and bloated AF.
Maybe it’s just something about me loving the IP but it’s like my comfort game - when I don’t know what to play I go “hmmm, I wonder where I stopped last time in W3?”, then load the game.

Codiox

Wind Waker wipes the floor with BOTW and TOTK. The new Zeldas have nothing to do with the Zelda formula.

For me it feels like Nintendo has found out how to make a skyrim. 10 years too late.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I always laugh when these threads end with "so I played The Witcher 3 instead", a game with an outstanding story and PS2 gameplay.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
If OP had any decency it would ban itself for making such a low effort thread.
So with kids I gave up on playing on PS5 for the foreseeable future. So I embraced my Switch.
Recently I borrowed BotW, played for a few hours.

1. Graphics are bland. I guess it’s due to the art style.
2. Hyrule is empty AF.
3. Lots of busywork - hoard ingredients, make recipes (which are not listed anywhere so you need to memorise them and then manually add ingredients to make each dish separately, hoard weapons.
4. Traversal was novel for a few hours, then finding a temple with each basic puzzle inside becomes very tedious. Wow, I had this idea to run around the mountain for 10 minutes while trying to climb it to finally get to the top. Incredible experience.
5. Main gripe: story is non-existent, side quests are terrible.
  1. Your opinion is bland. I guess it's due to the fact you rock a Cyberpunk avatar, clouding your memories and perception on gaming.
  2. Your hometown is empty AF. I can't find any side quests and your grocery store consists of NPC's driven by AI who crap out the same kind of low-effort thread on a Saturday night like you do.
  3. Lots of nothing work - Taking care of the kids, cooking for them through recipes (Which aren't in any cookbook, so you need to memorise them and then manually add ingredients to make each dish look like your kids would eat it - but they won't)
  4. Traversal is boring AF in your home: Only legwork is allowed and fast travel is non-existent. Finding a temple that is your bedroom contains a basic puzzle which you have to solve in order to get a plethora of outcomes - Ranging from accquiring the ability to snore-sleep to sexy time with the missus - It is just very tedious. Wow, i had this idea to run around the bedroom for 5 minutes whilst trying to get into bed to finally get near said bed. Incredible experience.
  5. Main gripe: OP's life is non-existent, side-posts are terrible.
So I gave the game back and installed Witcher 3.
I think Geralt is ass because his frametime increases in busy area's.

Top Bottom