• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hotels are steaming cesspools of bacteria? You don't say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2012/11/07/marketplace-dirty-hotels.html

A CBC Marketplace investigation has uncovered potentially dangerous levels of filth and contamination in hotel rooms across the country.

In the largest-ever survey of Canadian hotel cleanliness, Marketplace tested thousands of individual spots inside hotel rooms at a wide spectrum of chains in Montreal, Vancouver and Toronto.

More than 800 "high-touch" spots were tested in 54 rooms at six hotel chains, including budget hotels EconoLodge and Super 8, mid-range hotels Best Western and Holiday Inn and the luxurious Fairmont and Sheraton.

Scientific analysis found high levels of contamination creating potentially hazardous conditions for guests.

Guelph University microbiologist Keith Warriner conducted the tests for Marketplace and found alarming results.

“I wasn’t expecting [bacteria] to be so prolific,” he said. “I was really surprised at the lack of sanitation. [Maids] make it look nice, but [they’re] not making it sanitary, which is totally different."

Top 3 hot spots
Warriner tested common "hot spots" in hotel rooms using an adenosine triphosphate (ATP) measuring device that determines microbial contamination on surfaces.

A scan of any surface gauges the level of contamination with a simple numerical value, employing a scale used in similar tests in schools and offices. An ATP level under 300 is considered a "pass," while anything between 300 and 999 is in considered to be in the "caution zone." An ATP level over 1,000 is deemed a fail.

Marketplace’s test found that bed comforters, bathroom faucets and TV remotes were the top three dirtiest spots in hotel rooms.

Comforters were the most consistently contaminated spot, rating a "fail" in 23 out of 51 tests, or nearly half of the tests. The highest contamination count for a comforter was found at a Super 8 hotel in Montreal with a 26,124 ATP level.

Though doctors recommend proper hand washing to protect yourself from illness, faucets in hotel rooms were quite dirty themselves, with 16 fails out of 54, or a failure rate of 30 per cent. The Holiday Inn Toronto Downtown Centre had the highest contamination count for a faucet with an 11, 374 ATP level.

Over 70 per cent of remote controls tested were rated a caution or fail. The highest contamination count for a remote came from the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver, with a 22,292 ATP level.

Other major hot spots included bed throws, bathroom sinks, toilet bases and telephones.

Dangers of contamination
Bacteria is common in homes but hotels pose a greater threat because the germs come from thousands of strangers, said Warriner.

"In a hotel, you've absolutely got no sort of notion of a history," he said.

Warriner was shocked at the high levels of contamination revealed in the tests.

"I was absolutely amazed to see how high those [ATP] counts were,” he said. “They were beyond the sort of limits that you would accept even as a moderately sanitized surface. Those ATP counts, both in the comforters, and all around the hotel to be honest, were very alarming.”

He says comforters in particular can pose a threat to guests.

“When we step into a bed, we're exposing our bodies to it,” he said. “And we're there for a long time."

“This poor comforter is getting exposed to all these different people, depositing their microbes down, and you're just acquiring theirs. So it's a significant transfer route.”

Intimate exposure to highly contaminated areas like in a bed or on a toilet seat, is particularly dangerous, he warned, as it could lead in rare cases to myriad illnesses including urinary tract infections or sexually transmitted diseases.

'Looks are deceiving'
Warriner also used an ultraviolet light to search for stains otherwise invisible to the naked eye.

Used in rooms that otherwise appeared clean, he discovered stains he said could be either from urine or beer, a coffeemaker covered in so much organic material that it appeared not to have been cleaned at all and a pillow with so much bacteria it has “its own life story.”

“There's every chance that [guests] do get sick,” he said. “It's just that they don't realize it's the hotel bed they were sleeping on.

“It just goes to illustrate that looks are deceiving,” he added.

Quality doesn’t count
Warriner was also surprised that high-end hotels were no cleaner than budget ones.

Budget hotel Super 8 had among the cleanest bathrooms in the study, Warriner said.

“The top-end hotels, they all really performed equally as bad," he said.

A Montreal Best Western had among the overall best results, whereas some of the dirtiest bathroom surfaces were found in Fairmont rooms.

“If you're going to pay the extra money for a top-end hotel, don't expect to have better sanitation,” he added.

Why so dirty?
Overburdened hotel staff is the main reason that many rooms are so filthy, says longtime hotel housekeeper Brigida Ruiz.

Ruiz, who has worked at the Toronto Sheraton Centre for 21 years, says housekeepers have an extensive task list for cleaning each room, but rarely have enough time to complete it.

Canada’s hotel union tries to enforce a cap 15 to 16 rooms cleaned per shift, giving staff approximately 30 minutes per room. Ruiz says that isn’t enough.

At that rate, Ruiz says she can't complete her list of required tasks.

“I wouldn't finish the 16 rooms perfectly because there's so many steps that you need to follow,” said Ruiz in reference to the required task list. “If they want it to be spotless, that will take so much time.”

She said many housekeepers work unpaid overtime to reach their daily targets, but many still use time-saving “shortcuts” like not dusting or vacuuming.

The way to ensure well-cleaned rooms is for management to relax its demands, she says.

“My argument is that I say, ‘You have to give us less rooms,’ she said. “That's not going to happen.”

In response to the Marketplace tests, Fairmont Hotels replied with a statement saying the findings were "completely unacceptable to us and obviously inconsistent with our standards," and also pledged to pursue "retraining of all cleaning procedures and protocols." Starwood Hotels, which owns the Sheraton chain, said it is "taking [Marketplace's] findings very seriously" and made a similar pledge to revisit training and supervisory procedures.

Holiday Inn parent company International Hotels Group also replied with an email saying, in part, "the health, safety and comfort of guests at all IHG hotels are important to us" and that it would investigate any reports of non-compliance.

Watch The Dirt on Hotels, Friday at 8 p.m. (8:30 p.m. in Newfoundland and Labrador) as Marketplace reveals the risks you don't see — and what you can do about them.

Let the paranoia commence.

Jeff-DSA

When you travel, take one of these in your suitcase. When you check in, hit your room all over the place and you'll be good until you check out.

Vc6Nh.png

I was just staying at the Hilton Inn near the pearson convention centre, good hotel, ok service but I the cleaning lady stole my Sony walkman!!! I had to rush to work yesterday morning, so I left it by the bed and when I came back, it was gone :(

$100 lost, a lot of music and e-books lost as well :( DAMNIT!

beast786

I used to sleep outside when we used to go out in picnic. I am pretty sure there was more bacteria around in the grounds.

Why are people so paranoid about bacteria. We probably have more bacteria of our lips than any of those places combined.

BigDug13

It's unbelievable how long we've survived without Lysoling everything and using Purell constantly.

Germs make us stronger.

Like the people who freak out about someone taking a drink into the bathroom.

You're breathing in poo particles and microscopic urine mist. It's entering your nasal cavity, your throat, your mouth, you're swallowing your saliva containing these things so it's in your stomach, your digestive system, your eyeballs.

Get over it.

It's unbelievable how long we've survived without Lysoling everything and using Purell constantly.

Germs make us stronger.

Like the people who freak out about someone taking a drink into the bathroom.

You're breathing in poo particles and microscopic urine mist. It's entering your nasal cavity, your throat, your mouth, you're swallowing your saliva containing these things so it's in your stomach, your digestive system, your eyeballs.

Get over it.

Yeah, don't worry at all about the very real possibility of picking up a staph infection in a hotel room. (This is a thing: just search Yelp hotel reviews for 'staph'.) And pay no attention to the fact that the rooms aren't getting cleaned as well as they should because management doesn't give staff enough time to clean each room they're assigned.

Limedust

Warriner also used an ultraviolet light to search for stains otherwise invisible to the naked eye.

Hahahahaha!

Used in rooms that otherwise appeared clean, he discovered stains he said could be either from urine or beer, a coffeemaker covered in so much organic material that it appeared not to have been cleaned at all and a pillow with so much bacteria it has “its own life story.”

What about the curtains?

ektoll

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2012/11/07/marketplace-dirty-hotels.html

The highest contamination count for a comforter was found at a Super 8 hotel in Montreal with a 26,124 ATP level.

1176846-over9000_super.gif

I was just staying at the Hilton Inn near the pearson convention centre, good hotel, ok service but I the cleaning lady stole my Sony walkman!!! I had to rush to work yesterday morning, so I left it by the bed and when I came back, it was gone :(

$100 lost, a lot of music and e-books lost as well :( DAMNIT!

Damn, I always let my phone, tablet near my bed when I stay in a hotel...
What did the hotel managers said?

joelseph

When you travel, take one of these in your suitcase. When you check in, hit your room all over the place and you'll be good until you check out.

Vc6Nh.png

I'm amazed humanity has gone on existing for this long. Think of all the bacteria bullets we have dodged.

F#A#Oo

Banned
I did some concierge work for the Sheraton in my younger days. I'm surprised it's still 30 minutes per room. At the time the maids seriously over-stretched, it's sad that nothings changed.

Oppo

You know Purell kills bacteria, not viruses, right?

I sorta facepalm when I see people slopping on that stuff at conventions, thinking they won't get a cold.

akira28

You know Purell kills bacteria, not viruses, right?

I sorta facepalm when I see people slopping on that stuff at conventions, thinking they won't get a cold.

I think the idea is that it will kill the bacteria that lower the immune system, so that it won't fall victim to the viruses. So it kills all the giant mob creatures, so when the extremely tiny big bosses show up, you still have plenty of shield power.

N-Bomb

Don't be pussies. The shit you sleep in at home is probably only marginally cleaner, and if this is just normal human bacteria, it won't kill you.

Man up.

Cmagus

I use to work in a hotel, a major chain to be exact and I can tell you that this man is not wrong. I use to work maintenance at this place and some of the stuff I would see, well put it this way I would never stay in the hotel.

Comforters are disgusting and certain ones that we had used inserts in them and the maids would change the inserts but not the actual comforter each time they cleaned and it was legal. They were lucky if they were washed twice a week so even if someone was getting busy on that comforter and left the next day chances are the actual comforter wasn't changed. I suggest bringing your own blanket with you to hotels, the sheets were always changed. When I brought this up I was told its common practice at most major hotel chains.

Same goes for pillows they are almost never washed just the cases changed regardless if someone has been sweating all over them that stuff goes through the cover.

The maids were lazy as hell and did minimal effort on just about everything with no consequences yet were always done their work and left an hour early. Night after night people complained about the same stuff over and over and half the time I would have to clean rooms because they were too lazy to do so properly.

It wasn't just sanitary issues it was also safety. Being someone who was maintenance and fixed things my job was incredibly hard due to the lack of just about everything. If something was broken requests for stuff to fix it would be made if we didn't have it (rarely did) and it was always ignored because it costs money.Everything had to be a patch job instead of fixing which in the end probably cost more.

Worst job I have ever had made me completely miserable to the point where I just left after about a year.

Update: 'Superbug' bacteria found in tested hotel rooms

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2012/11/08/hotel-tests-superbugs-marketplace.html

Potentially deadly antibiotic-resistant “superbugs,” including C. difficile and methicillin-resistant staphylococcus aureus, were among the disturbing findings uncovered in a CBC Marketplace test conducted in dozens of hotel rooms across the country.

In a comprehensive survey, Marketplace did a battery of tests in 54 hotel rooms across six major hotel chains, testing for bacterial contamination and other potential health hazards.

Results revealed varying levels of dirt and contamination, but every hotel contained some form of antibiotic-resistant bacteria.

Microbiologist Keith Warriner, who did the tests for Marketplace, singled out findings of clostridium difficile — better known as C. difficile — and methicillin-resistant staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) as “alarming.”

“It was a surprise at the start, but amazing that all these hotels had superbugs,” he said. “When you get ... the antibiotic-resistant bacteria we're finding, that's not scare-mongering, that's real. These are real pathogens that can cause real illnesses.”

Common but deadly
C. difficile and MRSA aren’t rare bugs. Warriner noted that as much as five per cent of the population carries MRSA without showing symptoms. But if the superbugs find the right targets, they can be killers.

C. difficile was blamed for the deaths of 26 patients in a Niagara-region hospital outbreak in 2011.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention report that MRSA kills over 15,000 Americans each year, even more than AIDS.

MRSA and other superbugs pose the greatest threat to those with weakened immune systems but MRSA can also be contracted through cuts or other open wounds.

While many people associate the drug-resistant germs with hospitals, Warriner said he was surprised by the sheer prevalence of them in hotel rooms.

"But if you think about lack of sanitation, multiple people coming in every day, it wasn’t surprising in that respect.”

Dirtiest spots
In Marketplace’s test, Warriner examined 810 “high-touch” surfaces in rooms at EconoLodge, Super 8, Best Western, Holiday Inn, Fairmont and Sheraton rooms in Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal.

Using an ultraviolet flashlight and an adenosine triphosphate (ATP) meter that measures microbial contamination, Warriner found the worst bacterial hot spots in the hotel rooms.

Comforters proved the dirtiest, while faucets, remote controls, bed throws, bathroom sinks and toilet bases were the most commonly contaminated spots. Hidden cameras in the rooms also captured maids using cleaning techniques that would actually help spread bacteria.

One camera captured a maid using a toilet brush to clean a sink, and another using same rag to wipe a toilet seat, then a faucet.

“[They’re] just transferring contamination all over the place,” Warriner said.

“You can see why [contamination] is rampant,” he added. “It's literally just like spreading everything everywhere.”

Hotels react
Tim Oldfield, EconoLodge’s managing director of franchise performance, saw the hidden camera footage and was “disappointed” with what he saw.

“Seeing it on camera suggests that we need to re-visit our housekeeping practices, specifically at these hotels,” he admitted, adding that the findings didn’t meet “my expectation of the standards we set as an organization.”

Best Western International replied with a written statement saying cleanliness is a top priority for the chain.

Starwood Hotels, which owns the Sheraton chain, replied with a written statement saying Marketplace’s findings are “completely unacceptable to us and are obviously inconsistent with our standards” and said it has “already actioned re-training of all cleaning procedures and protocols.”

Wyndham, which owns the Super 8 chain, and Holiday Inn parent company InterContinental Hotels Group both replied with written statements that their hotels are all independently owned and operated, but all franchises will face action if they compromise quality or customer safety.

Fairmont declined to comment.

BigDug13

Yeah, don't worry at all about the very real possibility of picking up a staph infection in a hotel room. (This is a thing: just search Yelp hotel reviews for 'staph'.) And pay no attention to the fact that the rooms aren't getting cleaned as well as they should because management doesn't give staff enough time to clean each room they're assigned.

Well this is valid, I just don't like our over-obsession with germs thanks to constant news fear-mongering. Just like the constant fear of a man being anywhere near any child because he might be a child rapist thanks to news fear-mongering.

shira

I think the idea is that it will kill the bacteria that lower the immune system, so that it won't fall victim to the viruses. So it kills all the giant mob creatures, so when the extremely tiny big bosses show up, you still have plenty of shield power.

wtf are you talking about?

Raist

Banned
Breaking news: YOU are a cesspool of bacteria.

The human body is host to 10 times as many bacteria as its own cell count. True story

shira

Breaking news: YOU are a cesspool of bacteria.

The human body is host to 10 times as many bacteria as its own cell count. True story

durrr time to take a bleach bath

Most of that bacteria is good bacteria

TwIsTeD

I travel 2 weeks a month and stay in 4 star hotels frequently....I get sick once every 2 months after a trip and honestly the TV remote being almost the worst thing in a room doesn't shock me and actually none of this does...just wash yourself in the am and your right as rain

If we worried and get paranoid about every bacteria, we'd go insane in no time. I wouldn't recommend anyone that goes crazy over that to watch "Forbidden Games".

shira

I travel 2 weeks a month and stay in 4 star hotels frequently....I get sick once every 2 months after a trip and honestly the TV remote being almost the worst thing in a room doesn't shock me and actually none of this does...just wash yourself in the am and your right as rain

damn I'd bring my own pillow and vaccum

xbhaskarx

Potentially deadly antibiotic-resistant “superbugs,” including C. difficile and methicillin-resistant staphylococcus aureus, were among the disturbing findings uncovered in a CBC Marketplace test conducted in dozens of hotel rooms across the country.

MRSA kills over 15,000 Americans each year, even more than AIDS.

Your hotel room: WORSE THAN AIDS

Protein

Banned

Get over it.

Time to set myself on fire.

commedieu

Banned

Vc6Nh.png

I use what my grandparents used to use.

My immune system.

OCD people are hilarious. They are the same people that usually love yogurt.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Definitely don't touch the comforters, most hotels wash them like once a month. And I've busted on them, so people have probably slept just a sheet away from my crusty baby batter.

Eh, I stopped really thinking about it every time I check into a hotel.

I mean, in everyday life, I've touched various things (car keys, computer keyboard, handrails, etc.) that are already teeming with bacteria and I'm fine.

I realize that I only get sick when other people are sick, not by inanimate objects.

Every time I go to a hotel, I take my own blanket, some flip flops and a can of Lysol. I spray and wipe down the remote control, light switches, bathroom sink and all handles. I don't walk around barefooted, and I limit touching hot spots. Who know how many times someone busted a nut and it shot everywhere or shot other body fluids.

Definitely don't touch the comforters, most hotels wash them like once a month. And I've busted on them, so people have probably slept just a sheet away from my crusty baby batter.

She thats the stuff I'm talkin' about. That's why I don't touch anything on the bed. I've even been known to buy those plastic mattress covers.

Bgamer90

Banned
Every time I go to a hotel, I take my own blanket, some flip flops and a can of Lysol. I spray and wipe down the remote control, light switches, bathroom sink and all handles. I don't walk around barefooted, and I limit touching hot spots.

Same here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom