• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

House GOP revives obscure rule allowing paycuts to $1 for individual federal workers

Status
Not open for further replies.

WedgeX

Banned
While we were all paying attention to the potential Office on Congressional Ethics debacle, the GOP was busy using the cover. Courtesy the Washington Post.

Washington Post said:
House Republicans this week reinstated an arcane procedural rule that enables lawmakers to reach deep into the budget and slash the pay of an individual federal worker - down to a $1 - a move that threatens to upend the 130-year-old civil service.

The Holman rule, named after a Indiana congressman who devised it in 1876, empowers any member of Congress to offer an amendment to an appropriations bill that targets a specific government employee or program.

A majority of the House and the Senate would still have to approve any such amendment but opponents and supporters agree it puts agencies and the public on notice that their work is now vulnerable to the whims of elected officials.

Before this rule change, an agency’s budget could be cut broadly, but a specific program, employee or groups of employees could not be targeted because of civil service protections.

Republicans and Trump advisers have been quietly drawing up plans since the election to erode some of the job protections and benefits that federal workers have received for a generation, starting with a hiring freeze Trump has pledged to put in place in his first 100 days in office.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
When are they going to just straight up try and bring back slavery and not even the faux slavery we see in prisons but like, people being whipped in the streets and brought to market slavery?

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Isn't this so Trump will only get $1? It was one of the first things he was asked in that 60 minutes interview.

I wonder if that's why Trump wanted lists of specific people in agencies that run counter to his ideologies. If firing them would look bad, just make them want to leave by paying them nothing.

kiri

Couple this news along with the "we would love detailed employee lists of people combatting climate change" and you have a recipe for...well...a big fucking catastrophe.

Apdiddy

I could see Trump and his Republican minions try to target agencies that refuse to provide names for people working on climate change and terrorism by invoking this rule.

"You won't give us what we want, we won't give you what you want. $1 for everyone in your agency."

It doesn't make any sense, but I put nothing past them at this point.

Now we see why Trump was asking for names of federal employees in certain programs. Where's that poster claiming he was simply trying to learn of his allies and enemies lol

I wonder if that's why Trump wanted lists of specific people in agencies that run counter to his ideologies. If firing them would look bad, just make them want to leave by paying them nothing.

Ahh, so THIS is why they wanted the names of everyone who worked on climate change

Exactly my thoughts. Heh, and all those people thinking it was an over-reaching to expect that list they wanted for the domestic terrorist people was malice in nature. Pretty obvious what this is all about now. Odds are they won't be able to actually get this going, but you can see the long game they were trying to play.

"Starve the beast!"
"Uh, no, the beast is actually all of us because of our 21st-century interdependent economy you fu--"
*dead*

Cagey

Banned
The title is awful.

It's about being able to slash the budgets of agencies or subdivisions within agencies to enact political agendas without having authority to eliminate the agency entirely via amendment and get around generous civil service protections of employees to achieve the goals.

It's not about indentured servitude or some other heinous evil.

The title is awful.

It's about being able to slash the budgets of agencies or subdivisions within agencies to enact political agendas without having authority to eliminate the agency entirely via amendment and get around generous civil service protections of employees to achieve the goals.

I mean...is that...better?

mackattk

Maybe this is why Trump has been wanting lists of people who don't agree with him? Force them to quit by paying them $1 and replace them with someone who is more in line with his views?

Blader

The title is awful.

Circumventing civil service protections to gut agencies because they adhere to realities that conflict with your political ideologies seems pretty heinous to me.

The title is awful.

No, it's pretty evil. Hanging these pay cuts over people's heads because they are researching reality and the incoming administration rejects reality and science.

Election night 2020 is going to be a great, great night. Shame it's so far away.

You assume the average American has the brains to do the sane thing after they fucked up the first time. You are giving your own people way too much credit there.

Horns

Why? Trump will probably be re-elected. I've lost all faith in the average American to do the right thing when it comes to politics.

While I agree that historically it's more likely for him to win reelection. Trump is not a traditional candidate. Democrats will be much much more motivated in 2020. I don't normally get involved with working for candidates, just donating, but I've already started.

Trump will lose in 2020 and hopefully prison or bankruptcy will soon follow.

While the possible implications are disturbing, is this also not applicable to Trump saying he'll be president for a 1$ salary?

Active duty soldiers, congress, and the President are not considered federal employees.

Ah, ok.

So the next time we have a government "shutdown", it won't actually shut down. They'll just lower all government workers down to $0.00048 a hour until they pass their budgets, or they just quit due to lousy pay.

WedgeX

Banned
While the possible implications are disturbing, is this also not applicable to Trump saying he'll be president for a 1$ salary?

The rule is so old, and obscure, that there does not appear to be much modern literature about it.

Best I can find is an article from Catholic University "The Authorization-Appropriation Process in Congress: Formal Rules and Informal Practices":

ZcNImSf.png

Which states that anyone paid by the Treasury can be subject to this. Although after it was first enacted parts of the federal government were slowly made exempt. But whether those exemptions are still in effect with the rule's resurrection is a damned good question.

The rule is so old, and obscure, that there does not appear to be much modern literature about it.

Best I can find is an article from Catholic University "The Authorization-Appropriation Process in
Congress: Formal Rules and Informal Practices":

ZcNImSf.png

Which states that anyone paid by the Treasury can be subject to this. Although after it was first enacted parts of the federal government were slowly made exempt. But whether those exemptions are still in effect with the rule's resurrection is a damned good question.

So it hasn't been thought of till the late 1800's. Make America 1890 again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom