• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How are you dealing with people who voted for Trump?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is honestly the best way to combat any animosity or boasting from opposition: "Wait."

Stand your ground. Hold your position. Wait.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
As for racism, anti-gay, etc...

Trump seems to do what's good for Trump. Getting elected, that was siding with white rural older America. Now that he's in office I wonder... hope.. what's best for him is not destroying his country.

The one bright spot to Trump (only?) is that he had no problem blasting establishment GOPs. Trump is truly RINO. So I guess let's see what happens.

Usobuko

Banned
You guys will not be saying " it's just their opinions bruh " if the hostility comes from groups like muslims, chinese, blacks etc. Who are you selling this hypocrisy to?

They don't have that benefit of doubt, never had in fact. A little incident from a few bad eggs and they get generalized and degraded instantly. And here we have an actual, nation-wide event where half the country, 58 millions in total, is voting for someone that is openly racist.

Their shitty opinions can take a hike.

Riposte

My one (known) Trump friend, who is Muslim oddly enough, actually voted for Clinton at the last second. I've been busting his balls this whole time now.

Overall, I don't think hating a lot of people is productive. Politically, it seems to have only backfired. Mentally, it just eats you up inside. "Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned." People have good reason to be concerned and scared, but I don't thinking hating people helps you, even if they deserve to be hated.

DoubleYou

Man, I just can't imagine living in a country where you know half of the population voted for that guy.

Then again, I'll probably have to deal with Wilders one day.

DeathyBoy

Banned
My gf voted for Trump, and I still love her for whatever choice she has politically. I'm glad she exercised her right as an American citizen. Gonna marry this girl one day.

But Gaf tells us that we should view such people with contempt...

This is why liberals get made fun of. Seriously get a grip.
You're going to tell me to "get a grip" after an openly racist, sexist, homophobic, islamaphobic, grossly uninformed jerk now has the ability to do pretty much whatever he wants? Trying my best to control myself right now and not get banned because this attitude makes me upset.

EGM1966

No differently. I thought they were wrong before and I still think they're wrong now. They did exercise their fair rights though.

Basically same as Brexit for me.

I'm of course that, IMO, they've made a poor choice but you've got to work with it and you've got to look at what drove it and what it means. You can't just write it off or ignore it.

I mean, saying "the people have spoken" is realistic, but it's also realistic there will be people who suffer because of this decision.

... I don't think we fully grasp how much worse the division in America might get.

At this point all I can say to them is I hope you're right and this doesn't rock the boat too much and hope Trump's true colors are still left of center.

.....if not, I'm telling them to start fixing it come 2018.

He won and all that I can accept that and keep living life. The thing I'm having trouble with is my parents voted for him and I don't understand how great people like them can look beyond the things he's said and done. Whether it be racist or misogynistic. It's really my first dip into politics and I'm not sure if I should ask them how/why or just let it be. Anyone have advice?

Enzom21

I only know one person who voted for Trump. She's not bright and her absence from my life won't make an iota of difference.

Dosia

I mean, what can be more important than basic decency?

Get a grip? I mean the man may not genuinely be racist, I don't know. But his rhetoric has been damning. He said he'd build a wall to keep Mexicans out. I don't know, it's just all sinking in. How can anyone in good conscious support that? Irrespective of his policies. It's just nasty shit. I'd have to question anyone's judgement and whether it's worth my time being friends or even work acquaintances with them. But maybe I am overreacting, hence why I made the thread.

Personally I think this place as a whole has an issue with repeating the same opinions over and over and shaming people with differing opinions. Dont get me wrong, I am shocked he won and I would never vote for him (voted for Obama 2 times), but I am not going to look at friends or coworkers differently because of who they voted for. Hell, my wife is Mexican and the majority of her family voted for Trump. Just got to work so cant post more, but can when I get home.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
In the area of PA I'm in most people I know supported Trump...spewing hate towards anyone isn't going to change or help anything, you just need to look forward and hope for the best. We have the right to choose and think whatever we want and I'm not going to hold it against them even if it's polar to anything I'd think.

TimmmV

God, all these white people acting like "get over it" without realizing how thks affects minorities for decades.

This also happened with leave voters and brexit (swapping ethnicity for age group). Its infuriating.

My colleagues and friends all have broadly left leaning politics, so I guess I deal with this stuff by not leaving my liberal bubble. Think its generally quite comfortable but a shock to the system when this shit happens (which it seems to a lot recently)

This also happened with leave voters and brexit (swapping ethnicity for age group). Its infuriating.

My colleagues and friends all have broadly left leaning politics, so I guess I deal with this stuff by not leaving my liberal bubble. Think its generally quite comfortable but a shock to the system when this shit happens (which it seems to a lot recently)
I'd recommend stepping outside your bubble to reduce future shocks.

Somnid

I see them as ignorant and I think many emotionally feel out of place in their country and perhaps have a persecution complex. So I deal with it at that level. I don't think they are evil, and I'll try my best to explain why their decisions aren't just problematic for others but for them as well.

pringles

It's hard to deal with them. They think they know 'the truth' because they "dig around for info"(i.e. hang around on racist blogs/msg boards) and everyone who listens to mainstream media (i.e. lives in reality) is a clueless sheep. Nothing you say can change their mind. Facts, quality sources, the opinion of 99% of scientists etc just isn't good enough for them if their alternative source is saying that immigrants and minorities are the cause of all the world's problems and bring up 1 scientist that isn't convinced about global warming being man-made.

It's fucking exhausting. These people were an annoyance when they were a small minority. But when they're winning elections and changing the course of history towards disaster? It's a nightmare.

LosDaddie

Banned
Indifferent. Not shocked. I knew alot of White people mad as shit and want change. I never expected most to care about minority concerns.

Indeed.

As a minority living in the South, I learned years ago that all you can do is focus on what you can control and not worry too much about the rest. Work hard for yourself and your family.

Jetman

The thing I'm having trouble with is my parents voted for him and I don't understand how great people like them can look beyond the things he's said and done. Whether it be racist or misogynistic. It's really my first dip into politics and I'm not sure if I should ask them how/why or just let it be. Anyone have advice?

Not talk to them. Cutting any family off who voted for this guy. Going full on Sith mode. The hate is flowing through me.

Bsigg12

For the next 4 years, Republicans cannot blame a failing economy on any Democrat because Republicans control literally everything. The ball is in their court to "Make America Great Again" but I only see it getting worse.

Really wish I hadn't joked with some reblucan coworkers I'll be drinking thier tears last night. I might as well not even show with pants on today

He won and all that I can accept that and keep living life. The thing I'm having trouble with is my parents voted for him and I don't understand how great people like them can look beyond the things he's said and done. Whether it be racist or misogynistic. It's really my first dip into politics and I'm not sure if I should ask them how/why or just let it be. Anyone have advice?
Just have an open dialogue with them and don't be confrontational about it. I personally am disassociating myself from anybody I know who voted Trump but I understand that is hard to do with family. I don't think all Trump supporters are bigots but to vote for him tells me that they are complicit which is just as bad.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Just fine thank you. Some are annoying but most are regular folk who believe in what they believe in.

m00h

Banned
The question that bothers me more is, how to deal with people who have problems dealing with people with other political views.

I don't believe I have to directly interact with anyone who openly supports Trump.

And frankly, I'm not sure I could right now, so that's a good thing.

The question that bothers me more is, how to deal with people who have problems dealing with people with other political views.

I mean, we did this all the time before and it was fine. Then we got a president who hates my family and a vice president who wants to torture the gay outta me. So it's a little different now.

TimmmV

I'd recommend stepping outside your bubble to reduce future shocks.

It's not by design.
Most of my friends are from school/university, and I work for a software company where the majority of people are aged <40. Young and educated people are more likely to lean left, so its probably quite likely. Much like talking about politics on Neogaf is

Not that I have any particular desire to talk to the twats that voted tory/leave, mind

I'm sorry to add to the deluge of existing Trump threads but as I prepare to go into work today I'm wondering how to deal with co-workers who openly supported Trump. People whom I otherwise always get along well with. Not so much while we're "working" - I know to keep it professional - but during those inevitable instances when I'm asked to accompany them to lunch or casual small talk kicks up during downtime. It's like the more I consider what's happened here the less I want to have anything to do with someone who could endorse such a vile piece of shit. I'm trying not to block people on FB etc. I don't want to be petty but, really, "how could you?". Its all that keeps running through my mind right now. By extension they must feel the same way as he does. I honestly don't even want to go in. But I have to work with these people.

Everything trump stands for is hatred and disdain of your fellow country men, do the opposite, try to understand these people instead of jumping to conclusions about them. If you enjoyed spending time with them before dont let it stop you. Politics are a dumb reason to hate someone. Be better than trump, than trump supporters by attempting to make olive branches and making this country a slightly less hateful fucking place. Anger and disdain begets anger and disdain.

Just have an open dialogue with them and don't be confrontational about it. I personally am disassociating myself from anybody I know who voted Trump but I understand that is hard to do with family. I don't think all Trump supporters are bigots but to vote for him tells me that they are complicit which is just as bad.

Yea I definately wasn't going to be confrontational about it. I just need a reason or else it's really going to bug me thinking there's a part of them that feels this way. I'm hoping if I bring it up they just say something like we should have thought about that more but we didn't. I don't even know if that's a good answer I have no idea what they would say. Appreciate the advice though friend!

Some of my best friends from NJ, whom moved all over the world,supported trump. They have literally gave me the clothes off their back at times. I may not agree with their political views, but I would never judge them or tell them to fuck off because of whom they supported.

Mikey Jr.

"go vote!!"

/votes

"why didn't you vote how I wanted?!?!"

Not everything is black and white. Maybe some people just voted conservative because they don't like Democratic ideals?

SDCowboy

How am I dealing with them? I honestly couldn't care less. Life is too short for me to care who people vote for in politics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom