• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Arkane Studios (Prey, Dishonored) Got Stuck Behind Two Competing Ideologies

McCheese

Isn't this similar to what happened at Bioware Montreal? I remember some stories about them shoe-horning folks into high-up positions due to their political leanings; which I figured was bullshit until I saw a bunch of their staff posting unabashed 'white tears' tweets, then, of course, there was the actual quality of the game which did seem to indicate something was very rotten at the studio.

My hot-take on this is that it's absolutely fine if you want a company to be filled with like-minded folks, as a gamer I don't give a shit if your company if hyper-left or ultra-right. So long as they know how to make bloody good games; the way I see it - even if the games are made by folks with differing ideologies than I, if well made, they might be pretty insightful and help me relate to their viewpoints more. Variety is the spice of life and all that.

But if upper management hire folks who simply don't have the credentials or talent to do their role, they deserve their company to come crashing down. Thankfully that will be the case, as I'm never going to buy a bad game just because I agree with a companies ideology.

It's important to not make things personal, linking to twitter accounts of staff etc is pretty shitty. Let the games do the talking.

120v

my armchair quarterback guess is that Arkane isn't much ideologically different from any other studio. they just had a few commercial duds, people jumped ship and want to give their reasonings which can be varied either which way. it won't be a happy recollection regardless

either way it's a talented studio that probably deserves better. i hope zenimax gives them the mileage to succeed

Last edited:
I thought Prey and Dishonored 2 were really fun. It makes me sad to see that Arkane is giving up on them. I refuse to believe single player games are dying though. Maybe their marketing just sucks.

Top Bottom