• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Bad Is Your Souls Withdrawal?

I'm ready any day any time for another Souls game, but I'm not dying for one. I don't understand people being burnt out on the genre, because for me no copycats have come close to matching the series. And sorry Armored Core fans, but I'd rather From make another Souls game or pursue a new IP, as I think AC has no chance of matching the sales and exposure for either of those paths.

My hope is that if they keep making Souls games the next one goes all in on the connected world a-la Dark Souls 1, and that they change up the theming. I know it's been said many times but a sci-fi souls with a Blame! or Knights of Sidonia aesthetic would be great.

poodaddy

OP's tag should be "Miyazaki don't fuck wit no bath house."

Go play some other games, there's plenty out there.

ZangBa

I don't really have withdrawals, I'm having more withdrawals from Terraria because of the 1.3 update that's constantly being teased and then delayed over and over. Still, I love all the Souls games and I'm not at all burnt out. I'm ready for them day 1 if they ever make more. All the games that try to be like them fail in some way. Nioh was alright, but the enemy variety was wack, and the levels weren't that great either, often repeated but backwards. Everything past the first playthrough is not so fun, especially the final 2 difficulties. Also, the DLC sucked. None of the other clones are even worth mentioning.

I think I only got the "Souls" bug for one game: Dark Souls.

Played it before DS2 came out and really dug it, so I preordered DS2, but when I started that one I was disappointed. Changed just enough that I wasn't enjoying myself as much as Dark Souls.

Still need to give Bloodbourne a try one of these days, so maybe that one will get me back into the "Souls." If nothing else, that one at least LOOKS amazing.

T8SC

Not as bad as my withdrawal from the Turrican series, Strike series, Colony Wars series, G-Police series. (Insert lots of other franchises that are no longer being developed).

Is there a NeoGAF rule that a new "Souls" topic needs thought up daily? Give it a rest, the series is over, deal with it & find a new game like everyone else does when a game series ends.

Syril

It's really bad. I want to go back and replay them, because I miss them. I'm hoping Monster Hunter World will take that craving away, but I'm impatiently awaiting news of From Software's next projects.

For a while I had Salt and Sanctuary, and Nioh, which both satisfied the craving well enough, but I've played those inside and out too and now I'm craving something new to fill the gap.
Have you looked at DarkMaus? It's pretty much top-down Dark Souls. It's supposedly really short, but its full price is also $10.

But it's PC only if that's a concern.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I'm completely Souls'd out. If the next game doesn't do something drastically different, I'm gonna skip it. I made it halfway through Bloodborne and then just stopped cause I didn't enjoy it anymore.

Fisty

Burned out on Souls after my first playthrough of DS3, but whatever Miyazaki is working on has been cooking for a LONG time, relatively. I expect nothing short of a masterpiece that will sit next to Demons Souls and Bloodborne. They can take their time.

What is wrong with you people??

I need Dark Souls 4 PRONTO. Or a DeS/DS remaster. Or Bloodborne 2.

I could NEVER have enough. Yes, OP, my withdrawal has reached critical level. To quote the end of King Kojima's last trailer, "I wanna feel something again memorable".

Kieli

I'm done with the Souls series. Don't really feel like revisiting it.

Gimme Blamesouls tho. That'd be dope.

Toxi

Banned
From that time Ive had 1 BB game.
I feel like there's still untapped potential in Bloodborne. The Chalice Dungeon system is a really cool idea hampered by the requirement of going through so many pre-set dungeons.

They should have made progression work through randomized Chalices.

george_us

Not bad at all. If I have the hankering for Souls I just fire up Bloodborne or Dark Souls 3 depending on which I'm in the mood for.

jviggy43

I feel like there's still untapped potential in Bloodborne. The Chalice Dungeon system is a really cool idea hampered by the requirement of going through so many pre-set dungeons.

They should have made progression work through randomized Chalices.

Yep. There are so many areas they could tap into to really add a lot more into the game and make it feel new. That was something DS3 lacked.

HeeHo

The drought needs to be longer or the formula needs to be shaken up. I like the games a lot honestly, but I'd rather have a spiritual successor to something like Dragon's Dogma before another Dark Souls.

kc44135

I'd pay big money for a remastered Demon's Souls or Dark Souls Collection
I would too. I'm doubtful about Demon's Souls tho, and a lot of folks around here seem pretty confident a DS1 remaster won't happen either. It bums me out a bit admittedly. Those are my most wanted last-gen remaster by far. :/
The surge is good. Just keep your expectations in check and you'll enjoy it a lot.
Nah.

Soul_Pie

I don't mind if that's the last of the Souls games for a while, let the developers make something fresh and different, I trust them to come up with something incredible again. Compared to a lot of series we've been spoiled with the frequency.

I'd love a remaster of demon's souls in the meantime, though, I'd love to explore that world again. I don't have a PS3 at the moment to play my old copy on.

xealo

5 games in the same "series" of games with none of them being outright bad is a pretty good run. It started to get kind of samey for dark souls by DS3. Unless there's some deviation of the scale of bloodborne possible, id rather they just let it rest for a while until they get inspired to go at it proper.

I'm tired of Dark Souls as a setting but I'm not tired of that style of gameplay. Would like a new IP that has similar mechanics (with some new twists) and a completely new world to discover.

RevenWolf

Bland world
Bland characters
Bland music
Bland art direction
Bland enemies

I can appreciate that it tried with the combat though, lol!

Yup, though I did feel that the shortcuts and hub design (not aesthetically) was really good as well.

Personally I really enjoyed the surge, and I hope that it gets a sequel that improves on everything. It's certainly not a bad starting point, and much better than lords of the fallen was.

I'm pretty over it. I enjoy the games for sure and the gameplay is pretty great but I want a new setting. Entirely new too not a BB2. I'd love them to take the cosmic horror aspect to something set in space personally.

Stick with BB gameplay though. It's much more satisfying to play IMO.

Jocund

How can I feel withdrawn from something that's always there, or is at least a download away?

I run through Bloodborne at least once a year

I'm gucci, mang.

Loved Demon's Souls, Dark Souls 1/3 and Bloodborne, but the rehashing of ideas and ganks was getting a bit stale with Dark Souls 3. I'd much rather FROMSoft take a break, make a completely different kind of game and then maybe try their hand at a Souls style game again and bring some fresh ideas into it.

Not really Souls, but rather Bloodborne withdrawals. I tried Souls again (DS2), and it's just way too slow and the setting is incredibly drab.

I've picked up Nioh recently and its pretty good. I want to go back to Demon's Souls some day as I gave up after the 2nd boss. Maybe that will ignite something to make me at least playthrough Dark Souls.

Best wishes.

I'm tired of Dark Souls as a setting but I'm not tired of that style of gameplay. Would like a new IP that has similar mechanics (with some new twists) and a completely new world to discover.

This.

Someone already mentioned Sci Fi. Yes I tried the Surge, but like others said I had trouble finishing it.

What about the Old West? With very unreliable guns and horse combat perfected. Mounted parry/riposte with a spear? Yes please.

What about Revolutionary War America? Extremely unreliable guns and very limited ammo, weather with rain affecting powder, and a huge open world wilderness/connected world aka DS1. And bears.

What about Attila’s time in East Asia and endless windswept plains? And camels.

I can think of so many Souls games yet to be made. And unfortunately it seems when anyone else but FROM makes them (and some would say Miyazaki but I loved DS2), it’s not the same.

Still getting high on the supply. Played DS1 and DS2 for the first time this past year, and replayed DS3 and Bloodborne on NG+. I'm sure I'll do a NG+ run on both DS1 and DS2 within a year, so shouldn't be going through withdrawals any time soon.

Also been trying to get into Demon's Souls on PS3 but it's pretty rough after playing the trilogy on PC. Maybe I'll give it another go this weekend as I have an entire Saturday to kill.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Ive been kind of burnt out on Souls tbh. I didn't pick up any of DSIII dlc because i just didnt really care enough. The only game id be hyped about is a BB2, but outside of that I kinda hope their rumored sci-fi game isnt a souls game at all; something super different and out there.

Ominym

Banned
Is this one of those "I can't play any other video games after playing X video game" threads?

To answer you, OP, nah I'm good. Didn't even finish Dark Souls 3.

PaulloDEC

The things these games make people say.

Including Bloodborne and Demon's Souls you've had five games (and countless pieces of DLC) in the space of eight years. Y'all are spoilt as hell.

kc44135

The things these games make people say.

Including Bloodborne and Demon's Souls you've had five games (and countless pieces of DLC) in the space of eight years. Y'all are spoilt as hell.

Nah. I want Demon's Souls and Dark Souls remastered, Demon's Souls 2, Dark Souls 4, Bloodborne 2, and plenty of DLC for all of 'em. Then maybe I'll be satisfied. :)

Top Bottom