• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How can anyone think the PS5 is costing anything less than 600 - 700 USD?

PS5 and SeX = $500 US each.

What Red Light District are you going to to pay $500? :LOL:

In all seriousness though. I think the UK price is going to be roughly £399 for the Series X (with a Launch Title) and £349 for the PS5 without a game but a Week free PS+.

I think the incentives this generation will be to sell their 3D Audio/Graphic Fidelity, with the controllers showing how Haptic Feedback will work on Launch Titles that focus on this part of the system.

Sony doesn't want you to get "two jobs" since a lot of people are currently unemployed.

Ogbert

Fuck knows, but my God Covid will have hurt everyone's plans.

The next 12-24 months will see a fundamental liquidity crisis across the Globe and the main risk we face is that consumers will stop spending.

Genuinely tough call for MS and Sony.

sainraja

If you want the best hardware you have to understand that it will come at a cost. Given Microsoft is planning a Lockhart option, I can't imagine the Series X being cheap. We don't really know how Sony will handle the price situation but most people on this forum, I would think, would be okay with paying the price for better hardware.

sainraja

If they have stock issues than i can realistically see them sellin above the 500 price point but once corrected have it come down to 499 or less. There are two main ways Sony makes money. They sell A LOT of software and A LOT of subscriptions. The reason they can rely on this is because thier user base is outrageous! They will do everything in thier power to get the PS5 in every home possible. This is also why i dont think Sony will support Smart Delivery as much as it sucks to say.
Call it 'smart-delivery' or whatever, but Sony did it with games they published or owned when we transitioned from PS3 to PS4 so I don't see why they wouldn't to PS5.
Sony Interactive Entertainment introduced cross-buy on PlayStation gaming platforms in August 2012: users who purchased certain PlayStation 3 titles would be able to obtain ports for the portable PlayStation Vita console at no additional charge.[1][2] The initiative was later extended to include PlayStation 4.[3]
They couldn't enforce the same with third-party titles at the time. I am sure things different now so who knows.

Last edited:
Call it 'smart-delivery' or whatever, but Sony did it with games they published or owned when we transitioned from PS3 to PS4 so I don't see why they wouldn't to PS5.

They couldn't enforce the same with third-party titles at the time. I am sure things different now so who knows.
Oh yeah i forgot about that, maybe they will announce it soon that would ve awesome.

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
No $499 each :messenger_winking:

Don't forget Sony will sell more units so mass production should make it a lot cheaper :messenger_fire:
Don’t forget the cost of manufacturing is gonna be higher for ps5 because they have more going on in their controllers if there was gonna be a cheaper system I would choose Microsoft for that

93xfan

Banned
The PS4 has been out for 6 years, I'm just saying that 600 USD for a high end system for the next 6 years that delivers a cinematic gaming experience like never before, is maybe not that much for a launch price.

there's a lot of adults how would pay 600 just to play Gran Turismo 7 and Fifa and that's it lol

fingers crossed it's cheaper.

I havent seen one analyst or credible gaming news site offer the opinion that Sony will charge over 499.

You’re on your own with this theory that Sony will lose the generation with such a stupid move.

RaySoft

I don't actually think the XBox Series X will me much cheaper either, they'll just launch a cheaper version that will actually compete with the PS4 Pro.... but they'll convince people it's a next gen console...

I don't think people understand how much a SSD with a readspeed of 5.5GB alone costs, total cost of the system must be pushing 1000 USD already.
Sony are buying cheap nand chips for use in the PS5, using custom hardware to eliminate all bottlenecks in the I/O and using 12 DMA channels. They can reach the theoretical peak speeds much better compared to a PC part. I.e If you could connect Sonys SSD nands on your computer, it would probably perform worse than many PC offerings. The same could be said the other way around, where a mid-tier ssd stick for the PC would perform much, much better once connected to the PS5's i/o
So it's not the chips itself, its the combination with specialized hardware that makes it tick. No extra licence costs either since it's their own tech.
I think they were aiming for $399, but with the current global landscape atm I'm guessing $449 and the Series X at $499/$549
Because of their more expensive APU (size)

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Pretty sure they said u could switch out the SSD, so no its just a standard PC SSD at the end. Unless they release there own SSD line.

Last edited:
I think Sony will start a kidney trade in program. Where you get a PS5 with a trade in of your kidney.

RUtdO7H.gif

It wouldn't be the first time they sold at a loss. Selling at a loss is better for them than not selling because the price is too high, you can always sell PSN subs and software.

Neo_Geo

Banned
They will sell at a slight loss and the specs will be above average at best.

Sony is literally going balls deep on NVME SSD being what defines the next generation the most.. That should give a clear indication as to how they view their fans's mental capacity.

They will sell at a slight loss and the specs will be above average at best.

Sony is literally going balls deep on NVME SSD being what defines the next generation the most.. That should give a clear indication as to how they view their fans's mental capacity.

The SSD tech probably is going to be the biggest x factor next gen, though.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
That's the sacrifice Sony makes to make sure a) the system is popular because it's competitive with purdy games and b) they profit from every single thing you ever buy to play on it, whether they made/published it or not. Why shouldn't you expect a great price for the hardware for that benefit?

Last edited:

Neo_Geo

Banned
The SSD tech probably is going to be the biggest x factor next gen, though.

Yep. Just like how faster than shit RAM, while increasing performance somewhat throughout most use cases, looks like it's 4-5x faster than average speed RAM with the right synthetic benchmark.

I have no doubt that it will be a huge jump in loading times and asset generation, but we have enough RAM and VRAM where it is a mostly trivial point to tout, unless your architecture was broken to begin with...

Oh wait!

Also low end CPUs pair great with this...Oh wait again. Don't get your hopes up and set yourself up for disappointment.

Yep. Just like how faster than shit RAM, while increasing performance somewhat throughout most use cases, looks like it's 4-5x faster than average speed RAM with the right synthetic benchmark.

I have no doubt that it will be a huge jump in loading times and asset generation, but we have enough RAM and VRAM where it is a mostly trivial point to tout, unless your architecture was broken to begin with...

Oh wait!

Also low end CPUs pair great with this...Oh wait again. Don't get your hopes up and set yourself up for disappointment.

Texture streaming and loading has been the biggest issue with many games this gen, in particular open world games. The SSD tech is going to be huge and PC warriors will probably be forced to upgrade theirs to keep up.

Heat.wav

Neo Member
Going into it with the knowledge that they will charge you $50 per year to use your internet on your console to access other companies' servers, I see it as a possibility. Sell low then earn big through membership sales and the like. Isn't that what they did last time? I don't really follow consoles like that anymore barring forum browsing.

Truespeed

You're probably thinking about the super limited special bedazzled launch edition version of the PS5. No sane company would launch a console for $600-$700 unless, of course, they also planned to launch alongside of it a super gimped version for your little brother to play on.

Patrick S.

Banned
It won't cost that much. If ten years old Tommy points at a 700 console and wants mommy to buy it, mommy will say "fuck no!"

Going into it with the knowledge that they will charge you $50 per year to use your internet on your console to access other companies' servers, I see it as a possibility. Sell low then earn big through membership sales and the like. Isn't that what they did last time? I don't really follow consoles like that anymore barring forum browsing.

Xbox360 did that first while PS3 and WiiU were free of online memberships and online play. If you want to blame someone, blame Microsoft for introducing payment for online play back in 2005. Now all 3 consoles have online memberships if you want to access multiplayer.

b0uncyfr0

Because noone in their right mind will pay that much, it didnt work before for PS3 and it wont work now. They are meant to be a cheaper option to PC's. You could get a great second hand PC with that money.

Entroyp

And why is this?

Puzzled as to why many think the PS5 will be astronomically more expensive than the Series X.

I would say why would it be more expensive? TFs ain’t cheap and PS has less of those... I’m not sure if lower clocked RAM chips are cheaper or not, they must be

CouzinD

I can. 700 for a games console, in the middle of a worldwide recession and that's "under powered" compared to its rival, will not sell.

Top Bottom