• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

how can microsoft win the war when its irrelevant in japan and most of europe?

Haunted

kisakiproject said:
Maybe MS could sell if Germany wouldn't ban half their games.
mt1114812009.jpg

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Jokeropia said:
Actually, with the massive resurgence in recent years the Japanese market is more relevant than ever.
The vast majority of Japan's gaming dollars go to Nintendo and Square-Enix. It is a really tough market to break into.

Odysseus

Banned
SapientWolf said:
The vast majority of Japan's gaming dollars go to Nintendo and Square-Enix. It is a really tough market to break into.

sort of like america and electronic arts, nintendo, and activision, then.

Speevy

Banned
Microsoft can win the war if they beat the PS3 in North America, because North America decides which console gets the games.

Jokeropia

SapientWolf said:
This doesn't make it any less relevant to the console wars.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Jokeropia said:
Actually, with the massive resurgence in recent years the Japanese market is more relevant than ever.

so then why are japanese companies making it a prerogative to make games for the American market?

chemicals

I think (without reading anything except your thread topic) that Microsoft will unfortunately not win the sales war this time around. Nintendo is a juggernaut right now... there's just no stopping them.

But Microsoft and the 360 definitely won my vote for this gen already. Last gen, I was a PS2 devotee - by the way.

360 will outsell PS3 in Europe this Holiday coming up. The 360's lead in Europe over PS3 will INCREASE this fall, not decrease.

And there is no way in hell PS3 is catching up to 360 in Europe by March 2008. :lol

In fact, I don't think it will actually ever catch up to 360 over there.

davepoobond

Pureauthor said:
With games such as? No, really, I'm wracking my head here.

ace combat 6, eternal sonata (it might be a jrpg, but really who are you selling to if its on the 360?)...

icecream

Public Health Threat
Dynasty Warriors Gundam: International Edition
Soul Calibur IV
The failed Frame City Killer
Katamari

Pretty much most things Namco/Bandai are releasing aren't things they're expecting only ~300K worth of profits in.

davepoobond said:
ace combat 6, eternal sonata (it might be a jrpg, but really who are you selling to if its on the 360?)...

That's kinda specious logic, in my eyes. Just because it's on the 360, it's suddenly aimed at America? Also, AC as a franchise has always been marketed towards the same group - hardly representative of a sea change.

davepoobond

Pureauthor said:
That's kinda specious logic, in my eyes. Just because it's on the 360, it's suddenly aimed at America? Also, AC as a franchise has always been marketed towards the same group - hardly representative of a sea change.

well i dont think you could exactly say you're aiming at japan by putting a game on the 360

does AC even sell well in Japan?

I did some maths with the current weekly sales figures for each territory and, based on the reliable estimates that exist regarding total volume of consoles sold through, Wii will outsell the Xbox360 worldwide by next weekend. Check my blog for the details.

nofi

Falafelkid said:
I did some maths with the current weekly sales figures for each territory and, based on the reliable estimates that exist regarding total volume of consoles sold through, Wii will outsell the Xbox360 worldwide by next weekend. Check my blog for the details.

I've never seen so many Wiis on one website before. It's like a WiiWall.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
War, huh, yeah
What is it good for
Absolutely nothing
Uh-huh
War, huh, yeah
What is it good for
Absolutely nothing
Say it again, y'all

I thought they were beating their only competitor, the PlayStation 3. The Wii has the soccer moms, grandmas, adult kids, etc. crowd. :D

Defuser

davepoobond said:
well i dont think you could exactly say you're aiming at japan by putting a game on the 360

does AC even sell well in Japan?
Capcom made Dead Rising and Lost planet was to aim for American audience in the first place.
You do dare to say Eternal Sonata and Gundam Musou was made to catered for american's taste in the first place?

America was Capcom's first priority when the games was released.But not Bandai Namco.

KINGMOKU

Falafelkid said:
Well, it would seem we have yet another victim of the "numbers".

All your maths, estimates, research is for nothing. Sorry. Many people have fell for those "numbers", and your just another in the long line of bullshitery.

Oh well. Anyway, you want real numbers, not "I just woke up and pulled these from my ass" numbers, check NPD, and MC threads here, at GAF.

Oh dear god, he even uses nexgenwars numbers. :lol Everything is crap.

moku said:
Well, it would seem we have yet another victim of the "numbers".

All your maths, estimates, research is for nothing. Sorry. Many people have fell for those "numbers", and your just another in the long line of bullshitery.

Oh well. Anyway, you want real numbers, not "I just woke up and pulled these from my ass" numbers, check NPD, and MC threads here, at GAF.

Oh dear god, he even uses nexgenwars numbers. :lol Everything is crap.
You´re funny. Those are the number from NPD (as well as Enterbrain). Just so you know.

AniHawk

Falafelkid said:
You´re funny. Those are the number from NPD (as well as Enterbrain). Just so you know.

NPD doesn't release weekly sales, spanky.

So let's get this straight:

You post news that you have a true timetable for Wii sales.
You make it so everyone has to click a link to your blog to find out exactly when.
It turns out that you not only used nexgenwars, but vg chartz as well (for the most part, there are no definitive sales for Europe outside of financial statements).
And then you act like you actually know what you're talking about.

So awesome

AniHawk

Falafelkid said:
They release monthly sales figures. And it´s not rocket science to divide them by four. So who´s spanky now?

Sales aren't a constant from week to week. They shift depending on supply and demand, spanky.

Falafelkid said:
They release monthly sales figures. And it´s not rocket science to divide them by four. So who´s spanky now?

If you aren't actually getting weekly sales numbers, extrapolating from previous months sales belongs in the NPD prediction thread.

(neutral) Falafelkid
(Today, 11:14 AM)
Reply | Quote

BTW, aren't you a notorious bullshit artist from a few E3's back?

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Sho_Nuff82 said:
If you aren't actually getting weekly sales numbers, extrapolating from previous months sales belongs in the NPD prediction thread.

(neutral) Falafelkid
Reply | Quote

Yes he is.

Sho_Nuff82 said:

(neutral) Falafelkid
Reply | Quote

Au contraire, I am one of the only reliable bloggers out there. Feel free to check my blog.

And those numbers are the ones from Videogame Charts, who use NPD figures and sample data directly from retailers (which is just what NPD does).

Falafelkid said:
Do you prefer to make your falafels with hummus, or baba ganoush? And do you stick to the traditional tomato/lettuce/cucumber arrangement for vegetables, or do you put some more outlandish ingredients in there?

I worked in a Middle Eastern deli for a summer, but you sound like you're quite the expert. And what is your take on shawerma?

Green Shinobi said:
Do you prefer to make your falafels with hummus, or baba ganoush? And do you stick to the traditional tomato/lettuce/cucumber arrangement for vegetables, or do you put some more outlandish ingredients in there?

I worked in a Middle Eastern deli for a summer, but you sound like you're quite the expert. And what is your take on shawerma?
Don´t make me explain that nickname. It´s a long story... :D

Defuser

Falafelkid said:
And those numbers are the ones from Videogame Charts, who use NPD figures and sample data directly from retailers (which is just what NPD does).
You just lost credibility.

Defuser said:
You just lost credibility.
Why would I? It´s not as if I hid the fact that my calculations are based on those numbers. And, like I said, NPD uses the same methodology as the VGC guys. In fact, they share their figures, I believe. Of course, you may question those numbers, but there´s nothing more reliable out there, I am afraid.

Pureauthor said:
He had any to lose in the first place?
Look, why do you write those comments if you don´t know who I am? I have been a videogame journalist for a German television station for almost eight years and attended E3 seven times. I don´t mean to brag, but I´m not your average teenage blogger. YOu might want to check my track record.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Falafelkid said:
Look, I am the game editor who ousted a number of bullshit artists, like Kenton Bailey and his whole Sunder crap and Seriousgamer007. Oh, and those No End Soon idiots.
Don't act like you're exempt from anything.

Star Wars Wii, E3 05, remember?

Jesus, this thread is all over the place.

Two separate concepts, take them anywhere you want, but keep them segregated:

1. Game quality

2. Sales

1. Winner = TBD

2. Winner = Wii

Thoren

Banned
Falafelkid said:
Look, why do you write those comments if you don´t know who I am? I have been a videogame journalist for a German television station for almost eight years and attended E3 seven times. I don´t mean to brag, but I´m not your average teenage blogger. YOu might want to check my track record.

:lol

Sage00 said:
Don't act like you're exempt from anything.

Star Wars Wii, E3 05, remember?
Of course, I am not exempt from anything and I have never pretended that I am. But I have hardly ever been wrong. As far as Star Wars is concerned: Yup, it´s coming. I was right about Rockstar´s Table Tennis coming to Wii, remember? Want another exclusive about a game that will be announced in two weeks time in Leipzig?

Falafelkid said:

I don't care who you are - you use unreliable sources for your numbers. Insofar as relates to Sales-Age (the purpose of this thread), you have no credibility whatsoever.

Pureauthor said:
I don't care who you are - you use unreliable sources for your numbers. Insofar as relates to Sales-Age (the purpose of this thread), you have no credibility whatsoever.
And I don´t care what you think. I have always cited my sources so every reader can decide for themselves.

Top Bottom