• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How did you come up with YOUR profile name / gamer tag?

Michael Kenyon -> mkenyon

also go by zfz.mikey. My group of gaming pals has known each other way too long, so we mostly all use our real names, or a variant. Kevin -> Fknkev, Gene -> Meangene, Matt -> Ultimatt. That sort of thing.

I know a Michael Kenyon... You don't live in Manchester do you?!

BedBison

Neo Member
Randomly generated name between a Minecraft object, Bed, and an animal, Bison. I've thought about getting a better username that actually means something but this one has grown on me. Even of it makes no sense.

Weebos

Banned
There was a card game (and spinoff GBC game) called Magi-Nation Duel that I loved as a kid.

In this game there are creatures called Weebos.

For whatever reason I chose the plural as my name.

Muffdraul

As a little kid one of my best friends' dad always called me "Dan Druff." As a teenager I adopted that as my pen name when writing for a punk fanzine. Years later when I first went online I always used Dan Druff as my handle. More years later I saw the first leaked pics of Star Wars Ep. 1 and was gobsmacked at how rad Ewan McGregor looked as young Obi-Wan and I started registering as Obi-Druff. Eventually I saw the first pic of Darth Maul and practically went catatonic with joy and from then on used Druff Maul. I had a neogaf account as Druffmaul for a while, but, um... something happened to it. Something draconian and lame. So I did some not-very-creative transliterating, and here I am.

Elitist1945

My original name is Kill1945 (which it is on PSN), and that names a mixture of my love for WW2 history, and shooting games.

That name was taken on Steam, so the only other word I could think of was 'Elitist' for some reason, so Elitist1945 was born. I've used that for everything else now (XBL, YouTube, Twitch, etc).

I always use Orlanis, never OrlanisWorks (except here). I didn't finish writing a story about an intergalactic traveler, Orlanis, who discovers thousands of kidnapped people of an isolated planet underneath a mountain.

Took the typical "Adjective + Noun" and found two that sounded neat enough for PSN.
It stuck so I kept it.

Funnily enough, one day during a game of Dota 2 where I carried the team, at the end one of our teammates said over the mic "Good game, very lucid. Very lucid!" English wasn't his first language but I found it funny someone would use it as a compliment.

Back in 1996, I wanted "Gigantor28" as my AOL screenname--combining the English and Japanese titles for the old anime series. Alas, it was taken, so I settled on Gigantor21 as an alternative. I can't believe that was almost 20 years ago...

I still haven't watched the show, by the way. XD

ScaryMonsters

Neo Member
David Bowie's "Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps)" was the inspiration for my username. It's also used as a name for a stand in "Steel Ball Run" (JoJo's Bizarre Adventure).

UberTag

During my stint working at Xbox it dawned on me that using my real name as my gamertag wasn't an especially bright idea. So when the Xbox 360 launched, I decided to start clean with a new profile and thought to myself, "I need a gamertag that's exciting and original and uber and not something lame with a number at the end of it."

After throwing a bunch of stuff at the fan for 10-15 minutes, I thought well, "What about UberTag? What gamertag could be more uber than that?" And lo and behold, it was available.

Been using this username since 2005 / 2006. Mine was from a song called 'A boy brushed red living in black and white'. And I think the band 'Underoath' is really cool.

During my stint working at Xbox it dawned on me that using my real name as my gamertag wasn't an especially bright idea. So when the Xbox 360 launched, I decided to start clean with a new profile and thought to myself, "I need a gamertag that's exciting and original and uber and not something lame with a number at the end of it."

After throwing a bunch of stuff at the fan for 10-15 minutes, I thought well, "What about UberTag? What gamertag could be more uber than that?" And lo and behold, it was available.

Cool story. Mine's better though.

It's so german and industrial.

GVA1987

My initials and ywar of birth. So lame. Used to use Drow Renegade across everything however my gamertag got compromised and I lost it. Still use it for PSN. It's from RA Salvatore's Drizzt novels. I did use Archon/Arkhon back in the day. Hence my pic.

AEREC

AEREC is the closest I could get to my real name (Eric) that wasn't taken on XBL or PSN.

I'm not fond of internet handles and think everyone should just have to use their real name.

Westraid

fre_westraid0.jpg

Westraid is a Musketeer skill in Granado Espada. English isn't my native language, and I thought it sounded cool.

J3ffro

J3ffro919 - PSN - My name is Jeff, born on September 19th. At some point friends started calling me Jeffro. At one point I had a J3ffro license plate. Yeah. I know. Even worse, it was on an M3. I dislike my younger self quite a bit.

Starburns Lives - XBL - I'm a big (was a big?) Community fan. There's a character named Starburns. At one point, it seemed like he was dead. I changed my XBL name to reflect my feelings on the matter. A year or two later, we found out Starburns was not dead. I've yet to come up with something I feel like spending $10 to change it to.

I really dislike my younger self. A great deal.

Nuke Soda

RedshirtRig- Was watching a lot of Star Trek when I got my PS4, so there is Redshirt. Rig comes from Rigby from Regular Show.
Nuke Soda- Really like Fallout, totally Nuka-Cola inspired.

Red Hood

Banned
I got banned from GAF a while ago and came back from the dead with a new account on a mission of vengeance, thus donning the dreaded reddish hood.

Actually I just loved Batman: Under the Red Hood

Daingurse

Some bullshit I made up in my Freshman year of high school, during English class. Think it was for a fantasy short story, I just took the name Dain and added "gurse" to it. Stuck ever since then, and I've been making characters using the same naming convention ever since.

Umibozu

CityHunter : one of my favourite animes
Umibozu: was going to name myself gotoh from patlabor but a mod uses an avatar of him so I decided against it, City Hunter was taken, saeba ryo taken, so I chose this

Joei

Suikoden 2.

As for gamer tag, boxcarjoei, I dunno where I got the boxcar from, but joei is again from Suikoden 2. As a side note, I originally used boxcarjoei for my signin name for a banking account, I just continued using it in video games.

Gusto

I got my GT from the movie CB4 starring Chris Rock and Charlie Murphy. It was sort of an NWA parody. Charlie Murphy played Gusto in the movie. I was also lucky enough to grab it on PSN and XBL.

User1608

Banned
My Gaf name is the result of being a huge fan of my favorite series and loving its lore (and having Hyrule Historia!). For PSN...well, I was a huge Naruto fan and of a particular character at the time. Damnit, I could have made a better choice in hindsight!

Qasiel

I used to play PSO and my character was a Caseal. So, I re-worked my pronunciation of the word into Qasiel. Not "Kwayzeel", as others usually call me.

Top Bottom