• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How did you come up with YOUR profile name / gamer tag?

Sez

I use "Sez" in pretty much everything, it started 2 decades ago when you only had 3 letters to put on your high record so I used 3 of my 4 name initials.

Edit: Sometimes i'm forced to add numbers, I use 6 my favourite number. For example, my Steam name is Sez06.

rmVAAYo.jpg

inner-G

Banned
I got a PS3 and my brother and I played Resistance for the first time.

I had to make a name that I thought was just for that game. I made 'Killbeast'

Now I'm stuck with it and I don't really even play shooters or MP in general

smudge

Smudge has been my IRL nickname (close friends still call me Smudge) for around 30 years. Haven't always used it online but for the last 10 years or so I have.

Not entirely sure where mine came from to be honest. I think I made it during middle/high school but I'm totally stumped as to why I chose "lord_of_flood" of all possible names. I kept using it because it was always available, so it's been my profile name for everything that isn't school/work related for an incredibly long time.

Sharks are scary.

My gaming screen name is just a crappy combination of my name and the mascot of the college I went to. I desperately want to be able to change it.

Blanquito

Gamertag comes from a commonly-used word from a native South American Indian language that I learned. I was pretty sure it would be available and unique, and it was/is. :)

Clefargle

My old XBL tag was "getliquorfaster", a reference to that ATHF episode "Bible fruit".

Then "Triforce_of_Wisdom" on WiiU and I use the handle Clefargle on Smash. Clefargle is just a fun way to say one of my favorite 'mons.

I use Euphemism for 3DS, Steam, and forums, and It's just me recognizing that my online personas are a nice way of presenting my personality through a lense. Similar to how euphemisms stand in for something worse. It's just an acknowledgement of that.

ZeroXZee

Zero is from Megaman.
Then I added ZX from Megaman ZX.
Then I inverted the ZX to XZ.
Then the XZ became XZee.

It's easy as that! xD

2005: Long black hair. Skinny jeans. Tight stupid fucking band shirts. Listening to Blood Has Been Shed, Glassjaw and Alexisonfire constantly.

Signed up for a music forum back then under timothyonfire since my first name is Tim and I was listening to Alexisonfire I combined the both and BAM! shit's been with me past that horrible phase and I can't seem to shake it.

Lazulic

back whenever lapis lazuli was added to minecraft (2011?) i was looking for a name to replace whatever shitty name i was using. lazuli sounded cool but was taken, so i slapped a c on that shit.

my other more secret name is something my friend typed in when i was trying to make a club penguin account however fuckin long ago. every username was taken, so he said just typing random letters on the keyboard works for a username, and what came out of that sounded good and stuck.

EV4D

Neo Member
My gamertag is EV4D. Its Dave spelled backwards, with a little touch of "1337speak" because I am an old gamer and saying things like H4X0R was cool back then....

As somebody that works in marketing, my gamertag continually reminds me how not creative I truly am :)

MetalSlug

I had to name myself in Counter Strike : Source, so I looked at my PS2 games for some ideas. Saw Metal-Slug 3 and decided to call myself that.

ghibli99

I love the works of Studio Ghibli, and "99" is the year I made a lot in the stock market... but it's more a cautionary reminder of the dot-com collapse that nearly erased those earnings the following year. Together, they combine quality with being mindful of the future.

Cruxist

I hate my current gamertag. Had an original one that's my handle everywhere else. Buddy bet me I wouldn't change it to Dragonzord. I did. With zeros for the o's.

Worst way ever....I was like 13 or 14 and needed a name so I looked in a video game magazine and saw mark of kri or something, and it was run on the havok engine, so I literally threw it together to make markofhavoc

Salbug

My PSN "Ben60659" is my middle name plus the number sequence from Cube 2: Hypercube

"DethBen" which I use everywhere else is "Dethklok - klok + Ben = DethBen" Pretty much.

They were a good band and it's a great goonies reference. I feel bad for all these folk now with numbers in there names and X's or other odd characters just to try and get the name they want.

Got a PS3 eons ago. Needed a login. "danimator" was taken so I slapped a number 2 on it, and I've been stuck with it ever since. :/ Next, Sony will make us use baby pictures to verify accounts.

Aces&Eights

Back in Rainbow 6 days, I chose BeOneWithTheGun because I was into a Zen phase but also liked shooting people. Plus, TelltaleFart was not approved by ex girlfriend. (Fuck her, we both loved Poe and I thought it was brilliant)

Arcayne

Played a mobile mmo as a mage, looked a WoW skill trees for inspiration, added a "y" in the name and voila; Arcayne.
Uninspiring as hell. I use two other handles since I can't seem to stick to a name too.

Portugeezer

Gold Member
Just my name and country code. Simple, no BS, which is welcome on PSN seeing as I made it back in 2007. Dodged a bullet on that one.

I've always been shockingly uncreative with this stuff. In college I had a group of friends who arbitrarily decided that I love pandas, and "petethepanda" was mentioned by someone at some point. When I eventually went to set up a new gmail account I just went with that without much thought and eventually used it for most other services.

At this point I'm kind of trapped by it. The only alternatives I can think of are references that are taken everywhere, and if nothing else, petethepanda is available on practically any service you can imagine.

I'm Irish and my last name is Kennedy. Simple and I thought it also had a nice ring to it.

CelticKennedy for most of my profiles.

"Keltic" sometimes when I hear some people pronouncing it like the basketball team.

mkenyon

Banned
Michael Kenyon -> mkenyon

also go by zfz.mikey. My group of gaming pals has known each other way too long, so we mostly all use our real names, or a variant. Kevin -> Fknkev, Gene -> Meangene, Matt -> Ultimatt. That sort of thing.

Top Bottom