• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do I stop being a bum?

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
What do you do on your phone? If it's tiktok or twitter, delete it.
I know it's easier said than done, but you have to remove the root of the addiction.

Try to find a hobby that will replace it. Buy a cheap ukulele and start learning some simple songs. (just throwing a random idea here)

Last edited:

Nico_D

Seconded on the hobby. With the time you or anyone puts on their phones they could learn a new skill. Play an instrument, learn to draw, juggle three tennis balls...

What do you do on your phone? If it's tiktok or twitter, delete it.
I know it's easier said than done, but you have to remove the root of the addiction.

Try to find a hobby that will replace it. Buy a cheap ukulele and start learning some simple songs. (just throwing a random idea here)
So your hobby is too find and touch mice balls all day? Is this how you stay productive throughout your life?

On a serious note - good advice.

Last edited:
I sit in my bed all day scrolling on my phone and only go outside when it's necessary. How do I get off my bum and start being social?
Form a routine on at least one healthy thing(hobby, gym, etc). Stick to that routine and don't let yourself make excuses or get distracted from that one routine. Unplug and turn off the phone during that routine. It could be for 30 mins or an hour. Keep sticking to it day by day. Then once you're hitting a stride with that routine, start another routine.

Social media can feel as addictive as gambling or video games. Right now you're overloading your brain with short term dopamine rushes. Short term moments usually don't leave any long lasting effects, and instead you're left feeling emptier than when you started the day. Find a way to moderate yourself.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE

Also dont look like this

10EBxn0.jpg

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I sit in my bed all day scrolling on my phone and only go outside when it's necessary. How do I get off my bum and start being social?

If you have the funds buy some moderate priced sneakers.

Find a podcast and go for brisk walk/hike Hour minimal. Explore and find a nice route

Go buy some groceries even if it's a bottle of water.

You'll be getting energy from walking and some social interaction at the store.

Also dont expect to have fun the first week. It's a process. Take a 2 min cold shower before heading out

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I have a really asocial, introverted friend. A few things he started doing that might help:

• He started taking short hikes, more or less just walks, at a local state park that has lots of trails. Getting out in nature is nice
  • Go to the local library once a week and browse whatever looks interesting in that moment, read a little
  • Visits the local art museum once or twice a month. He actually met his now wife that way, she struck up some small talk with him when they were both obviously really enjoying the same exhibit or painting or something (I forget the details)

Basically just free, low effort reasons to get outside really. Costs you nothing but maybe gas money / public transport fare and a little energy.

Davesky

Make new month resolutions because each year is too far apart. Every month try to do something better or more important in your life, and make it a matter of willpower to outdo the previous month and see how long you can take it. You will be surprised how powerful and motivating this is, within a year you will be setting goals for yourself that you thought impossible before. Momentum is the key to any form of success.

Also, stop masterbating.

spinfive

Banned
get a job ya lousy bum
I got one. Being a bum is just something I am when I'm not at work

Form a routine on at least one healthy thing(hobby, gym, etc). Stick to that routine and don't let yourself make excuses or get distracted from that one routine. Unplug and turn off the phone during that routine. It could be for 30 mins or an hour. Keep sticking to it day by day. Then once you're hitting a stride with that routine, start another routine.
I have started a gym membership and go almost every day. I hate it though

spinfive

Banned
Make new month resolutions because each year is too far apart. Every month try to do something better or more important in your life, and make it a matter of willpower to outdo the previous month and see how long you can take it. You will be surprised how powerful and motivating this is, within a year you will be setting goals for yourself that you thought impossible before. Momentum is the key to any form of success.

Also, stop masterbating.
This is good advice. I will start making goals for every month as a year is too far apart.

Davesky

This is good advice. I will start making goals for every month as a year is too far apart.

I can confirm how good this advice is. Around 5 years ago I had just been released from a remand in prison clearing my name from false accusations from my ex partner and my daughter placed with prospective adoptive parents. Although it was too late to successfully contend the adoption, I slowly built up my life from homelessness and got full custody of my second daughter, contact with my eldest, back into work, improved my credit score after severe debt and almost bankrupt from a previous gambling addiction, an openuni degree and now about to move into a brand new house next week. If you can clearly visualise it in your head, it’s possible.

Last edited:
Play video games all day… play FFXIV and join a social guild if you want to be super social (had the pleasure of attending a RL marriage celebration in game when I played it at one point).

As for going outside, it’s overrated next to video games; think of all the people who have to live in England where the only time they can actually see the sun is through a movie or videogame 😐 *super straight face*

I have started a gym membership and go almost every day. I hate it though
Good. Most things that are good for you aren't meant to be liked. They're a test of fortitude and are necessary to learn discipline.

When parents discipline kids, they normally don't tell them the other side of why they discipline them(work ethic, physical health, mental health, being on time, waking up on time, etc) and you only experience the negative aspect when you're younger. A lot of people grow up thinking that a life with no discipline would be much better because then they wouldn't have to experience the negatives of discipline. But it doesn't work.

You end up complacent, you end up overweight, you end up with health conditions, you end up mentally drained, and you end up with a hole inside that just grows larger and larger, because that inner self is screaming in the void for you to move around and do something but your body just won't and your mind is too distracted to care. I'm not saying go outside and train to become Jason Bourne. I'm just saying keep at that one routine and see where it gets you to your next routine. This can build discipline.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I have a really asocial, introverted friend. A few things he started doing that might help:

• He started taking short hikes, more or less just walks, at a local state park that has lots of trails. Getting out in nature is nice
  • Go to the local library once a week and browse whatever looks interesting in that moment, read a little
  • Visits the local art museum once or twice a month. He actually met his now wife that way, she struck up some small talk with him when they were both obviously really enjoying the same exhibit or painting or something (I forget the details)

Basically just free, low effort reasons to get outside really. Costs you nothing but maybe gas money / public transport fare and a little energy.

That's amazing man.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Play video games all day… play FFXIV and join a social guild if you want to be super social (had the pleasure of attending a RL marriage celebration in game when I played it at one point).

As for going outside, it’s overrated next to video games; think of all the people who have to live in England where the only time they can actually see the sun is through a movie or videogame 😐 *super straight face*

It's not about catching sunlight perse. It's about walking. Briskly. Not strolling but walk like you're about to poop lol.

Look up some stretches.

Minimize sugar.

Be friendly to your cashier.

After doing this daily for a week you'll notice.

And again 2/3/4/5 cold showers. Gives you a mental boost

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Again find podcasts that take a hour or longer. Be mindfull of your stride and posture while walking

Last edited:

spinfive

Banned
You make some depressing threads on NeoGAF. First it's about not being able to find a suitable partner and now you're complaining that you can't be bothered to do anything. We should be getting paid a psychiatrist's salary for this shit.
That's because I am depressed and yes you should be getting paid alot I agree. There's a lot of free advice here.

It's not about catching sunlight perse. It's about walking. Briskly. Not strolling but walk like you're about to poop lol.

Look up some stretches.

Minimize sugar.

Be friendly to your cashier.

After doing this daily for a week you'll notice.

And again 2/3/4/5 cold showers. Gives you a mental boost
Pretty sure I can walk in-game while taking a poop 💩

Pretty sure there’s a stretch emote in-game too.

“Minimize sugar. Be friendly to your cashier.”

Which one?

And yes cold showers are more efficient; no time for needless shower boners when you got an online JRPG with a bunch of waifus 😜

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins

Change will only happen if you activity want to change. Taking up a new hobby, such as the gym, learning a new language etc would be a decent start. Every time you find yourself going back to scrolling social media, remind yourself of how that time could be better spent.

It's going to be hard. You'll need discipline, and that's hard to achieve, but the benefits will be worth it. To quote Mike Tyson:

Discipline is doing what you hate to do, but nonetheless doing it like you love it.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Pretty sure I can walk in-game while taking a poop.

Pretty sure there’s a stretch emote in-game too.

“Minimize sugar. Be friendly to your cashier.”

Which one?

And yes cold showers are more efficient; no time for needless shower boners when you got an online JRPG with a bunch of waifus.

Disappointed King Of The Hill GIF

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Man that's kind of a rough perm. No offense mod team, you are fantastic but this is kinda unfair. Guy clearly has issues, mentioned them and did not disrespect anyone. It's a cry for help yes, but...I mean...a perm for that? For being depressed and trying to vent? That's harsh. No offense.

Last edited:
Change will only happen if you activity want to change. Taking up a new hobby, such as the gym, learning a new language etc would be a decent start. Every time you find yourself going back to scrolling social media, remind yourself of how that time could be better spent.

It's going to be hard. You'll need discipline, and that's hard to achieve, but the benefits will be worth it. To quote Mike Tyson:

Discipline is doing what you hate to do, but nonetheless doing it like you love it.

Mike Tyson never sounds like an intelligent man in person but damn can he say some wise sounding stuff.

Last edited:

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Man that's kind of a rough perm. No offense mod team, you are fantastic but this is kinda unfair. Guy clearly has issues, mentioned them and did not disrespect anyone. It's a cry for help yes, but...I mean...a perm for that? For being depressed and trying to vent? That's harsh. No offense.
NVM I just saw the wife hunting shit. Yeah. A perm is fine. All is good.

Lunarorbit

What did they say to get them banned?

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
A harsh reminder to ALWAYS check the post history before going to bat for someone. What might appears to be one well meaning thread, just might be another shitpost in a long line of troll bait.

Shame on me. Shame.

Last edited:
Top Bottom