• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do I stop being a bum?

ManaByte

Gold Member
Get Out Fruit GIF by Chris Cimino

belmarduk

Are you obese, op? Many fatties are shut ins due to perceived persecution. If they’re outside exercising though, I always make sure to let them know I’m rooting for them. I promise I won’t follow you everywhere playing a tuba.

Last edited:
A harsh reminder to ALWAYS check the post history before going to bat for someone. What might appears to be one well meaning thread, just might be another shitpost in a long line of troll bait.

Shame on me. Shame.
IDKFA‘s post and some of the others can be really useful regardless for people wanting roughly the same info.

Especially after covid some people are lonely and I guess forgot how to get know other people in a social setting or even how to find a social setting. I joke about it, and while it’s a serious hurdle for some people, jokes and self deprecating humor is also one of the ways through…you can be as ugly as sin but if you have a good sense of humor people will like you as long as you aren’t a complete ass.

A harsh reminder to ALWAYS check the post history before going to bat for someone. What might appears to be one well meaning thread, just might be another shitpost in a long line of troll bait.

Shame on me. Shame.
As a counterpoint, nearly everyone here is providing positive life advice that can work for people, in general, for many here who may feel the same way but won't speak up. The the person behind the OP becomes irrelevant in that case.

Last edited:

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
IDKFA‘s post and some of the others can be really useful regardless for people wanting roughly the same info.

Especially after covid some people are lonely and I guess forgot how to get know other people in a social setting or even how to find a social setting. I joke about it, and while it’s a serious hurdle for some people, jokes and self deprecating humor is also one of the ways through…you can be as ugly as sin but if you have a good sense of humor people will like you as long as you aren’t a complete ass.
I sadly don't think anbody here is qualified to handle that kind of depression and constant self depreciation that culminated in a long string of threads all about gloom and searching for a branch none of us have.

Sometimes sadly, it might be better to let someone go and let us continue through our own difficulties without having to bear, the burden of another you know? Not trying to be cruel. But this guy crossed many lines and...wife hunting? Ooof.

I sadly don't think anbody here is qualified to handle that kind of depression and constant self depreciation that culminated in a long string of threads all about gloom and searching for a branch none of us have.

Sometimes sadly, it might be better to let someone go and let us continue through our own difficulties without having to bear, the burden of another you know? Not trying to be cruel. But this guy crossed many lines and...wife hunting? Ooof.
Sounds like someone who might want help and goes about it in the worst possible way, because they have zero social skills. In that case, to go along with what you're saying, maybe GAF is not the right outlet for him, but maybe this is the one he found where he thought he would belong 🤷‍♂️

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Sounds like someone who might want help and goes about it in the worst possible way, because they have zero social skills. In that case, to go along with what you're saying, maybe GAF is not the right outlet for him, but maybe this is the one he found where he thought he would belong 🤷‍♂️
This might sound out of line and I don't want it to. It's just an easy parallel I can make. Do you know Slasher? Very successful horror anthology series. Currently on it's fifth run and still going strong. A doctor character in one of the most recent episodes said that sometimes to aid an ailing body, you have to cut off a malignant part.

Not that GAF is ailing. Shit we have rocking like what, twice the amount of users the forum had a year ago? Healthy as FUCK. But...a person in distress, that vents and starts hammering on their own insecurities while at times diminishing a lot of people (in this case women in general) just might not be the glass shoe that fits the GAF foot.

It's really sad. That guy obviously needs help but he simply can't find it here, and maybe pushing his hand into perhaps not relying on GAF to help him navigate, might just end up with the man getting the support he needs, from people who actually can navigate his mindset.

Last edited:

Not necessarily meaning the OP but other people seeing it; sometimes those boosts of telling people how to take care of themselves in small ways, or teaching them to create a routine to get around procrastination can be productive.

It can make a beneficial difference in other people’s lives who aren’t necessarily hopeless.

Last edited:
This might sound out of line and I don't want it to. It's just an easy parallel I can make. Do you know Slasher? Very successful horror anthology series. Currently on it's fifth run and still going strong. A doctor character in one of the most recent episodes said that sometimes to aid an ailing body, you have to cut off a malignant part.

Not that GAF is ailing. Shit we have rocking like what, twice the amount of users the forum had a year ago? Healthy as FUCK. But...a person in distress, that vents and starts hammering on their own insecurities while at times diminishing a lot of people (in this case women in general) just might not be the glass shoe that fits the GAF foot.

It's really sad. That guy obviously needs help but he simply can't find it here, and maybe pushing his hand into perhaps not relying on GAF to help him navigate, might just end up with the man getting the support he needs, from people who actually can navigate his mindset.
It doesn't sound out of line. The part where you're saying they should go elsewhere for assistance, you're mostly right. However, from what I've seen time and time again both offline and online, people want to find like-minded people first to open up to, rather than actual professional help first. The best thing for us to do is to provide our own recommendations until they feel comfortable enough to open up to better, more suitable, sources of help. I think that eventually people would have suggested professional help in this thread, but it was prematurely cut off at the legs.

I'm not saying he should be unbanned, if he broke rules he broke rules, or if the mods decided that was best for him then so be it, but I do think that this thread should stay open for general advice from others who have shared similar experiences and want to give their own perspective for others to see.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
It doesn't sound out of line. The part where you're saying they should go elsewhere for assistance, you're mostly right. However, from what I've seen time and time again both offline and online, people want to find like-minded people first to open up to, rather than actual professional help first. The best thing for us to do is to provide our own recommendations until they feel comfortable enough to open up to better, more suitable, sources of help. I think that eventually people would have suggested professional help in this thread, but it was prematurely cut off at the legs.

I'm not saying he should be unbanned, if he broke rules he broke rules, or if the mods decided that was best for him then so be it, but I do think that this thread should stay open for general advice from others who have shared similar experiences and want to give their own perspective for others to see.
Agreed on every front. We ARE a damaged bunch. It's ok to open up.

I think (hopefully) it’s a case for the moderating team maintaining that it’s not something that should be publicized when someone is in a mental breakdown, and are shutting them down now pretty much to prevent them from embarrassing themselves even further.

I remember the random ass Gamefaqs suicide post in the off-topic forums there years ago, and I don’t want another here. It’s like a cry for help but nobody’s there to help and everyone just shits on their posts till they actually kill themselves. Dumb sounding shit but it works apparently.

If moderation can give them guidance away from the forum‘s public view it’s probably better.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Agreed on every front. We ARE a damaged bunch. It's ok to open up.
No, boundaries are necessary. When this forum became an open mental health disaster it was a nightmare for all of us behind the scenes, constantly dealing with suicide notes and seriously disturbed individuals. No interest in entertaining that again. Spamming the forum with daily personal problems and using us as a replacement for therapy or counseling is not okay.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
No, boundaries are necessary. When this forum became an open mental health disaster it was a nightmare for all of us behind the scenes, constantly dealing with suicide notes and seriously disturbed individuals. No interest in entertaining that again. Spamming the forum with daily personal problems and using us as a replacement for therapy or counseling is not okay.
Understood and very acceptable.

Top Bottom