• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do think we'll see 3DS getting out of E3?

Heyt

Banned
So most of the Nintendo E3 talk goes on around WiiU. But 3DS is still the preferred system for Nintendo games (if sales are any indication) and the only profiteable one the company has.

After an amazing last year, the game releases flow (and arguably game quality) have declined in 2014. How do you think the 3DS' future will look like after this E3? Do you think game flow will be maintained as how it's been for 2014? Do you think it will pick up and get back to last year's standards? In wich phase of the lifespan you think the console is? How would you like it to come out?

I personally think Nintendo's teams are pretty busy right now trying to pump WiiU games and there are not many 3DS games on their side being made or pitched. I think we'll have some nice games here and there for the rest of the year like Smash and other 1-2 games for Fall. They may do some localizations to keep the momentum but I think the pace will slow down significantly. This probably would result in the interest on the machine going down and bringin in the end of it's cycle before desired, wich would be quite terrible for Nintendo as it's their only source of income they have right now and I don't see that changing anytime.

I really want Majora's Mask announcement.

We'll likely get a Smash 4 release date as well. But overall I think the best of the 3DS was 2013 and sales are going to show that.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
We know nothing yet, because they dont want us to know and will announce their plans at e3 and Directs. The time from announcing and releasing their handheld titles get shorter with every year. They will unveil their fall handheld lineup including DQ7R and Majoras Mask in the upcoming weeks - everything else is more or less a surprise.

Edit:

I dont see how they are more focused on WiiU - yes their EAD teams are and have been working on WiiU entries of their major IPs like Mario Kart and Zelda. But most other stuff is on 3DS - we just got Mario Party, Kirby and Mario Golf with Tomodachi Collection and Smash announced for this summer.

Ragus

Banned
If they are more focused on WiiU now (and I don't blame them), then maybe we will see some 3rd party games? DQVII alone would make me wet.

Yeah thinking about it Iwata did say that they were going to help localize Japanese 3rd party titles and so far we only got Bravely Default out of that so maybe we'll be seeing some more titles being localized to fill in the release gaps.

MLH

Honestly I don't expect much, Nintendo will show their expected games, with maybe a surprise but I don't see any big 3rd party announcements. Only Japanese developers seem to be interested in portables and they announce their games later in the year.
The only thing I'm interested in hearing about is a European localisation of SMTIV, It's been over 1 year since its announcement (and 1 year since North American release), whatever is happening it's taking too long :(

big_z

there will likely be a good number of 3ds games. I would say(not including 3rd party stuff)...

likely:
-majors mask
-side scrolling Metroid
-some sort of Mario sport
-QoL product that links with wiiU and new online service
-Gameboy remix (eshop)

maybe:
-f-zero
-starfox
-pokemon something
-dr Mario U port(eshop)

a smash bros branded 3DS is likely, a new revision of the hardware is not. I could see a price drop since the handhelds go on sale for $40-$60 below their msrp so theres lots of room to play with.

wii u is dead. smash got pushed to the Christmas title because there is nothing coming. Nintendo will toss some odd scraps to hold owners over until the new console next year. Zelda U if not moved to the new console will be cross platform like TTP was.

mrhej

We are more likely to get Metroid on the 3DS than the Wii U at this point. I can also see them announce a new wario ware.

Zalman

I don't think it's time for the Majora's Mask remake yet. Between the Wii U game and Hyrule Warriors, they have enough Zelda already.

18-Volt

At this point, Nintendo won't even bother with first party titled, as 3DS is a slowly dying system now. They'll probably announce couple of late localizations like Yokai Watch, Fossil Fighters 3D, Pokémon Art Academy, Layton vs Wright (Us), Jam with the Band 2 (eu) and that's about it.

Alienous

Smash Bros. 3DS will be their big thing, I think. I'd like to expect a Kid Icarus 2, even without Sakurai, but that feels unlikely. Something like a F-Zero seems like the perfect scale game, that doesn't clash with the Wii U's offerings. That or Star Fox.

Their attention and manpower seems to be on Wii U.

Pikma

Banned
The 3DS has so much potential yet, for both previously proven franchises on handhelds and new IPs. I really wish the horrible situation the WiiU is in doesn't make Nintendo lose focus on the system.

Majine

Banned
I hope for a second gen OG 3DS with better batterylife.

Ofcourse that would be a sensical thing to do, so it probably won't happen.

Heyt

Banned
Smash Bros. 3DS will be their big thing, I think. I'd like to expect a Kid Icarus 2, even without Sakurai, but that feels unlikely.

I would also like Kid Icarus 4, but I agree it seems pretty unlikely. The perfect dev scenario for that game would be Platinum Games & Kamiya in my opinion. After seeing how the tone of The Wonderful 101 was quite simmliar to Uprising I think they could deliver a experience up to par with Uprising.

I am also inclined to think they will bring some japanese games to keep it up. I am surprised we don't have a DQVII announcement already since DQ did well on DS. Sure Smash is going to be one of the bigger releases for the system but that comes out in summer. I don't see Nintendo not having a big portable hit on holidays.

The 3DS has so much potential yet, for both previously proven franchises on handhelds and new IPs. I really wish the horrible situation the WiiU is in doesn't make Nintendo lose focus on the system.

This is true, but I think it is already happening, sadly.

Guaranteed to be there: Smash 3DS, with release dates.

I suspect we'll see:
Fire Emblem Awakening 2 (obviously that won't be its title).
Majoras Mask 3D has to be happening as well by this point.

Would like to see:
New 2D Metroid.

At this point, Nintendo won't even bother with first party titled, as 3DS is a slowly dying system now.

Oh come on, as opposed to what? More games for the system that isn't "slowly dying", but is already dead and buried?
Nintendo would have to be absolutely insane to risk killing off the 3DS right now, if they lose the audience it has and consumers don't pickup the replacement before QoL(ha, if it even takes off) or Wii U fixes itself, the company would be as good as dead.

Vexxan

I really hope they at least a few titles to announce, at the moment the only 3DS game I'm looking forward to is Smash Bros and Persona Q(which might not even come out here).

If anything, gimme dat Majora's Mask remake, Nintendo.

VLiberty

What I want:

- Zelda MM3D
- Metroid Prime Trilogy 3D/Metroid sidescroller(either Metroid 2 remake or a brand new game would be great)
- Mario Strikers 3DS
- Excitewhatever or F-Zero

Not going to happen aside from MM3D

It'll be interesting to see what they plan on launching during the holidays. There could be a new Pokemon I guess. It seems like it would be a good time in the system's life to try something new, but I doubt it will happen. With all that Nintendo has launched in the past year, and what they have announced for Wii U, it seems unwise to expect a lot of big surprises.

big_z

At this point, Nintendo won't even bother with first party titled, as 3DS is a slowly dying system now. They'll probably announce couple of late localizations like Yokai Watch, Fossil Fighters 3D, Pokémon Art Academy, Layton vs Wright (Us), Jam with the Band 2 (eu) and that's about it.

lol, 3DS is their cash flow at this point. it might not be setting new records like the DSlite but its selling very well and has a large profit margin. that's where their support will be.

they wont be making money from the console market until a replacement console hits(late next year). not supporting the 3DS is suicide and I don't think Nintendo can file for employment insurance.

The 3DS is dying like the PS2 was dying in 2005

Anyway, a MM3D announcement would be great, but I am not entirely sure it is gonna happen.

Grezzo have to have been working on something since OoT/four swords DSiware launched in 2011.

The only thing they've released since was the streetpass garden/flower town game. Maybe they got drafted permanently as a wii u support team, but I hope not.

It has been a long time though, so maybe (incredibly hopeful thinking here) they're going all out and adding a master quest version with revamped dungeons or similar. They did let them make new levels for four swords, so maybe...

Dr. Buni

Grezzo have to have been working on something since OoT/four swords DSiware launched in 2011.

The only thing they've released since was the streetpass garden/flower town game.

It has been a long time though, so maybe (incredibly hopeful thinking here) they're going all out and adding a master quest version with revamped dungeons or similar.
Sure, but that doesn't mean they are working on MM3DS. They could be working on something else.

Don't get me wrong, Majora's Mask is my favorite game of all time, so I'd really love an upgraded version of the game to be released. I am just not sure if is happening.

Sure, but that doesn't mean they are working on MM3DS. They could be working on something else.

Don't get me wrong, Majora's Mask is my favorite game of all time, so I'd really love an upgraded version of the game to be released. I am just not sure if is happening.

2 of the 4 titles they've released are zelda remakes, and the only retail title is one of those 2. The others have been small downloadable games (Line attack heroes and Streetpass garden).

I sure hope they haven't spent nearly 3 years making another small downloadable game (on top of streetpass garden), because that would at best be hilariously inefficient.

Nintendo can't be stupid enough to not be aware for the MM3D demand (they know enough to drop MM references that would be completely out of place otherwise in LBW at the very least), and Grezzo would be the best people for the job if anyone was doing it.

Zalman

It'll be interesting to see what they plan on launching during the holidays. There could be a new Pokemon I guess. It seems like it would be a good time in the system's life to try something new, but I doubt it will happen. With all that Nintendo has launched in the past year, and what they have announced for Wii U, it seems unwise to expect a lot of big surprises.
It's too early for Pokémon. I'm having a hard time thinking of heavy hitters they could have for the 3DS this holiday, but I'm sure they have something planned.

It's pretty much a given at this point that Majora's Mask is being remade for the 3DS, since we've heard enough thinly-veiled hints about it. I'll be very surprised if we don't see it this year, since it would help to bolster what's looking to be a somewhat thin lineup.

It's probably too early for Pokemon Z, but I expect some sort of announcement relating to that series.

MrBadger

It's too early for Pokémon. I'm having a hard time thinking of heavy hitters they could have for the 3DS this holiday, but I'm sure they have something planned.

They could announce Pokemon Z or Pokemon X/Y2, whatever they're planning on doing to follow up this gen.

Anyway, I seriously think they'll announce a new 2D Metroid this time. What else could they announce? Starfy? Just about every other Nintendo franchise has been covered on 3DS.

Just about every other Nintendo franchise has been covered on 3DS.

If we're just limiting to stuff that has had handheld entries before, we have a few other choices still beyond metroid.

Golden sun, Advance Wars ,F-zero ,Mother (lol) ,Wario Land, Warioware

All still don't have a 3DS entry (the list gets a bit bigger if we also ignore ports with DK and Starfox and probably a few others).

Dr. Buni

2 of the 4 titles they've released are zelda remakes, and the only retail title is one of those 2. The others have been small downloadable games (Line attack heroes and Streetpass garden).

I sure hope they haven't spent nearly 3 years making another small downloadable game (on top of streetpass garden), because that would at best be hilariously inefficient.

Nintendo can't be stupid enough to not be aware for the MM3D demand (they know enough to drop MM references that would be completely out of place otherwise in LBW at the very least), and Grezzo would be the best people for the job if anyone was doing it.
What if they are/were working on remaking a game of some other Nintendo franchise, though?

And come on, it is Nintendo. Of course they can be stupid enough. :p

But yeah, the various hints make me hopeful towards the idea of the Majora's Mask remake.

MCN

Banned
I think we'll see Game Boy Remix as an eShop title, available immediately. It makes sense, with it being the 25th anniversary of the Game Boy.

EhoaVash

3ds sales have become stagnant. nintendo will probably another revision before its successor. don'trrally care if any more games are announced for it.

RiggyRob

Advance Wars announcement would be great, although unlikely compared to a Fire Emblem announcement.

Otherwise, Metroid + Majora's Mask remake/sequel is what I'm hoping for.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
the one possible game I see being announced is Super Mario 3D Land 2, which would be completely fine by me

everything else is shrouded in mystery, as always when it comes to Nintendo

I am excited to see what they announce. A lot of good ideas in the thread so far especially a Gameboy remix. Didn't even think about that.

Majine

Banned
I think we'll see Game Boy Remix as an eShop title, available immediately. It makes sense, with it being the 25th anniversary of the Game Boy.

I love it, but have they acknowledged the anniversary any other way yet? I haven't seen it, so i'm doubtful.

Toadette

Banned
Zelda Majora's Mask
Super Mario 3D Land 2
Pokemon Z or Pokemon X2 Y2
Pokemon Ranger 4
Super Smash Bros
Sonic Boom

Top Bottom