• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do think we'll see 3DS getting out of E3?

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
The supposed MonolithSoft 3DS project.

And maybe Dragon Marked for Death by Marvelous + Inti Creates if that is still a thing.

Xater

We know nothing yet, because they dont want us to know and will announce their plans at e3 and Directs. The time from announcing and releasing their handheld titles get shorter with every year. They will unveil their fall handheld lineup including DQ7R and Majoras Mask in the upcoming weeks - everything else is more or less a surprise.

They better announce that localization. I want this game so bad. Ever since I heard about it in the PSone days I wanted to play it. Never got an import of it though.

Another N64 port, especially Majora's mask, would be a major disappointment for me. I'd rather see original games from Nintendo. By original I would also mean a sequel to some existing franchise. I'd still love to see a 3DS Metroid.

Sadist

Just... don't mention SMT IV EU. It hurts :/

Although I wouldn't be surprised if SMT IV will fill a gap here in Europe in the Q4 period. Atlus is releasing Conception II ffs in the EU eShop on the 15th.

What localizations are left btw for worldwide release that haven't been announced yet? Dragon Quest VIIR, Dragon Quest Monsters, The Great Ace Attorney, Tales of Strategy thingy...

Ironjam

Just... don't mention SMT IV EU. It hurts :/

Although I wouldn't be surprised if SMT IV will fill a gap here in Europe in the Q4 period. Atlus is releasing Conception II ffs in the EU eShop on the 15th.

What localizations are left btw for worldwide release that haven't been announced yet? Dragon Quest VIIR, Dragon Quest Monsters, The Great Ace Attorney, Tales of Strategy thingy...

Well, people thought Nintendo delayed smt4 to Q1 2014 because the release schedule was barren.
And they were wrong. :(

eXistor

The best I could hope for is a new 2D Metroid (done ala LBW) and Majora's Mask remaster, everything else is gravy.

Dr. Buni

I don't know where people are taking the idea of a side scroller Metroid 3DS from... but still, I would love it. Although, Metroid Prime 3D or Metroid Prime Trilogy 3D (I dunno if the can the 3DS handle it?) would be even better, IMO. Nway, negativity aside, here are some stuff I would like to see being announced:

- Majora's Mask 3D
- New Paper Mario, this time one that is actually a RPG (unlikely)
- Pokémon Conquest 2

Third party:

- Final Fantasy VI (remake)

Nintendo is likely focusing on the Wii U for a while, so it is better to not hope for a lot of announcements. Besides, there is already a few promising games to be released for the system, like Super Smash Bros and Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Mine has gathered dust this yeR after a great 2013, so I'm hoping for some big announcements like a new Metroid. If not I'll probably sell it off since I picked up a Vita and don't really need two handhelds.

I don't care about Majora's Mask, Layton etc.

I don't think we'll see numbers like that again for a LONG time. The PS2 was something extraordinary.

The 3DS's predecessor met (and possibly exceeded!) those numbers. But yes, the 3DS itself will not.

I'll be pleased with a Majora's Mask remake, Layton vs AA announcement for NA, news on The Great Ace Attorney. Possibly a redesign. They wouldn't announce new hardware without a conference and with their current console in dire straits, would they? The 3DS is about as old as the GBA was when the DS released, but it's too soon.

Gaogaogao

I hope the next handheld will be capable of emulating everything up to n64 and sega saturn.

no snes on 3ds is a god damn shame.

also, where the turbografx games at?

We'll probably see more on Smash, along with possible announcements of a few more 2014 games (MM3D,new Ace Attorney localization maybe, others). I don't think there will be too much that is teased for 2015 or after as I think this is the last major year for 3DS software and they'll certainly announce the successor at E3 2015 if they haven't already teased it at this upcoming E3.

18-Volt

lol, 3DS is their cash flow at this point. it might not be setting new records like the DSlite but its selling very well and has a large profit margin. that's where their support will be.

Shiiit I wish my Vita was dying like the 3DS was "dying" last year!

There are only 12 confirmed quality retail western releases in 2014 (only 5 of them are 3rd party), and it's pretty weak compared to NDS, GBA and even PSP in their 3rd years. I'm not gonna make lists, please look it up, you'll see. 3DS is dying faster than those two because it has more powerful competition and its inferior hardware puts off all western developers. 3D fad died very quickly and 3DS has no other gimmick to sell anymore, tablets can do what it can do way better and cheaper (sans buttons but they're onto that problem too).

I think the third pillar will decide 3DS's fate. Since 3D is not a thing anymore, I don't think death of 3DS is too far away. Plus killing it won't affect Nintendo at all, they're still rich as fuck and NDS killing GBA early actually did them good instead of harming them.

Oh come on, as opposed to what? More games for the system that isn't "slowly dying", but is already dead and buried?
Nintendo would have to be absolutely insane to risk killing off the 3DS right now, if they lose the audience it has and consumers don't pickup the replacement before QoL(ha, if it even takes off) or Wii U fixes itself, the company would be as good as dead.

As opposed to every other Nintendo handheld. GBA was released when GBC was selling great, and NDS was released the golden year of GBA. GBA's best performing year came after NDS released. 3DS is performing way worse than all of them in their respective years. They won't "kill" it but instead let it die in the shadow of its successor. That's what Nintendo always does.

The 3DS is dying like the PS2 was dying in 2005

Did someone actually say that? 2005 was the PS2's best year, no other year could come close.

I really don't understand why people want a Majora's Mask remake so badly at this point. We've already practically had two Zelda remakes on the 3DS, and one on the Wii U. Is that really what you want?

Hiltz

Actually, there aren't that many announced Wii U titles this year that are developed by Nintendo's studios beyond DKC:TF, X, and Mario Kart 8 so far. Bayonetta 2, Fire Emblem X Shin Megami Tensei (co-developed but not sure to what extent), Hyrule Warriors, Smash Brothers (slightly co-developed), Yoshi Yarn and Fatal Frame are all done by third parties.

Dr. Buni

I really don't understand why people want a Majora's Mask remake so badly at this point. We've already practically had two Zelda remakes on the 3DS, and one on the Wii U. Is that really what you want?
Yes. I would take Majora's Mask remake over ten brand new Zelda titles.

Jackano

3DS got Smash too, and Smash first!

Usually, I have the feeling Nintendo let second-tiers studios develop for their handheld when it come to the second part of its lifespan. This lead to new kind of games as well as second range IPs (we just got Kirby, Yoshi, and Mario Golf - we are already there).

If Grezzo isn't doing Majora's Mask, we never gonna have it.
I think of more Mario spin-off, or Donkey Kong something, or Pokémon, or Wario.
Maybe Tingle even if I don't see it coming (and even less announced during E3).

tesla246

I am pretty optimistic about the upcoming nintendo games for 3ds. There is a super smash, and I have high hopes for a metroid side scroller, maybe a new advance wars and the rumored majoras mask. 3rd party support im worried about though.

Majora's Mask 3D
3DS Wars
Golden Sun 4
Pokemon Z

pretty much the only "major" existing franchises I can imagine that could be in the pipeline based on their studios' workloads.

LAA

Been really quiet on the 3DS front. Don't think they can come up with so much 3DS games at E3... Maybe 1/2/3. Majoras Mask 3D is possible... would like to see that to finally play it...
Other than that, can't think of many other 3DS games I'd want to see... Metroid for sure, but I'd much rather see them put that on Wii U first, but if they want to ignore it again, I'll take metroid however.
Other than them, can't think of much 3DS in really in "need of", other than more 3rd party things. A new 3D mario could be neat, a new NSMB, never got NSMB2 since it just seemed a rip at full price for what simply looked liked another NSMB DS.

They should really be focusing on Wii U at this E3, but if not, good ol' Nintendo I guess.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
It's looking pretty grim right now. They've blown their load on most of their good mobile franchises and now are trudging through weaker properties as of recent (Mario Party, Mario Golf).

If they announce more remakes or sequel-esque platformers I think the 3DS' future will be looking not so bright.

MattyG

Banned
Hopefully we'll see a new Zelda (MM3D or a brand new title, I'm fine with either), maybe a Pokemon Ruby/ Sapphire remake, and another 3D Mario (more Galaxy than 3D World preferably).

I don't understand why it seems like, after a certain time, companies just don't bother localizing games.

For example, S-E could easily localize Rocket Slime 3 and release it now that the 3DS has a pretty sizable user base, and lots of us would gladly pick it up. Yet they don't bother.

Another example would be something like the SaGa 2 and 3 remakes for the DS. Put them up on the eShop, then port them to iOS/Android/Vita/etc..

I want three games for my 3DS. Just THREE games, in this order:

1. Advance Wars 3DS (bring it back to upbeat Wars World and not the Days of Ruin universe)
  2. Golden Sun (but let the old games' party members appear/be playable as well)
  3. Mega Man Battle Network Redux/Revival (no Star Force crap, bring it back to Lan or a new protagonist in Lan's time)

Intelligent Systems, Camelot and Capcom. I will pay you for these things. The last one is a microscopic urine particle of a dream floating in the sewers of Hades, but I still nurse this ember of hope for Capcom getting their shit together.

I demand nostalgia

I am so tired of Mario, Zelda and all their little spin-off shits. Fuck these HD remakes and updated ports. I AM SO FUCKING TIRED OF MARIO AND ZELDA

Dr. Buni

Specially if those new games are Skyward Sword quality ..
I, for one, liked Skyward Sword. It isn't Majora's Mask level of quality, but it isn't as bad as people claim it to be (imo).
I'm not counting Pokémon since you beat that once and you're done for.
Lol, I replay my Pokémon games countless time. XY was the sole exception.
New Fire Emblem, Metroid and Star Fox

Nintendo pls
New Fire Emblem? Nah... How about: New Metroid, Advance Wars and F-Zero instead.

Revven

At the very least an official Smash Bros 3DS release date (I mean come on they have to have the date finalized by then, right?)

For new games? Probably just MM3D, they've been teasing MM things all last year (between the Club Nintendo reward for the MM OST and all the ALBW stuff). How could they not be making it? Unless all that MM stuff is trying to tease towards the Wii U game (but I doubt it???)

Kitoro

I think it's high time for a redesign of the standard 3DS. The current model is practically out of production as it is.

-Higher quality screen
-Longer battery life
-Refreshed design aesthetics

The 2DS and XL leave a huge void. I want 3D, great battery life, and compact size, and Nintendo is currently making people choose two out of three.

I'm hoping that ends this year!

I'm not sure if I would say this is the safest bet, but the 3DS is the only Nintendo system to not have a WarioWare game since the series has been introduced, so I expect one eventually. It took Kirby forever to get on the 3DS considering how many games he had on the DS, so who knows?

I think a sidescrolling Metroid for 3DS would genuinely surprise me, but I have a feeling that the big "surprise" for the 3DS will be a Majora's Mask remake, as even though it'd be cool news, it'd also be disappointing because who DIDN'T see it coming? An Advance Wars 3DS would also be nice.

Nintendo hasn't let me down with the 3DS since the middle of 2011 and I don't see them disappointing me anytime soon.

Majora's Mask, Advance Wars and Metroid are what I want. I'm sure we'll get at least one of these. I'd also love to see a new F-Zero (Wii U would be better but I'd take a 3DS game as well!), Wario Ware and Rhythm Heaven.

RedShift

Advance Wars 3D
Pokemon EarthRuby/OceanSaphirre or whatever.
New Super Metroid Bros (2D Metroid done up like NSMB and ALBW)

And some new stuff maybe.

Oh and Majora's Mask why not.

What I still want:

Wave Race 3D
1080 Snowboarding 3D
FZero X remake 3D
Metroid 3D
Majoras Mask remake 3D
Mario 3D Land 2

What we'll get:

SSB 3D
FF Theatrhythm Curtain Call