• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do you approach Boycotts regarding companies? And do you think its effective?

Jubenhimer

Traditionally, if a corporation or business is doing something you don't like or don't support, the most obvious response from us as consumers is a boycott. That is, refrain from purchasing or supporting their products until they get the memo that something is wrong, and thus should fix it. But has boycotting ever been historically effective? And how do you approach it? For me, I almost rarely boycott entire companies. Reason being is that, if a company is putting out some bad products that I don't like or aren't interested in, I don't think the right approach is to take it out on the legitimately good products they're releasing or good things they do, because I feel that both sends the wrong message, and in the case of content creators, is pretty unfair to the effort and work they put into the good stuff.

The only exceptions, is when a company like Blizzard or Konami did seriously awful things, and has nothing else worth supporting. So the way I approach boycotting is, I only support the stuff a company puts out that I feel is actually and legitimately good, while avoiding everything else. My thinking is that if companies see that the stuff they think people want, ends up failing hard, while the stuff that people actually want is doing way better, they'll get the message, and double down on what their consumers actually want.

An example would be Disney. I don't like Disney at the moment, I don't hate them with a passion like I do with Google, but I dislike how monopolistic the company has become. That said, I will still support and watch the good things they do occasionally put out, such as their TV cartoons, and Pixar films, while avoiding or taking no part in most of their other stuff like Live-Action remakes or the new Star Wars films. To me, this in theory, should send the message that nobody wants your crappy live-action retreads or bland Star Wars films, but we still do like a good animated film or series, and you should do more of that, instead of buying every franchise in existence.

Do I think boycotting is actually effective? Yes and No. The problem with a boycott is that it requires a large amount of customers to come to a consensus, and that is often very difficult, sometimes impossible to do. Brand devotation is very strong with a lot of people, and a lot of them are willing to spends hundereds of dollars on crappy stuff, just because its the latest product in a franchise. But when most fans and consumers do consensually get fed up with BS, the results do show. Going back to Disney, the more recent Star Wars films are now underperforming at the box-office, and the new Galaxy Edge ride at Walt Disney World isn't doing the numbers the Mouse wanted. Why? Because Star Wars fans are finally sick of the incompetent way Disney handled the franchise for the last 3-4 years. Disney eventually took the hint, and announced recently that Star Wars will be going on a long hiatus after their plans to give the MCU treatment blew up in their face. The only exception to this, is The Mandalorian, which is at the very least, a step in the right direction, but still not quite there yet.

Last edited:
I am not sure under-performance == boycott. Maybe? But not always. Lots of people said they were boycotting Star Wars because they didn't like TLJ or whatever, and SOLO flopped, but did it flop due to "boycotts" or just because it wasn't anything anyone wanted? Same with TROS? I am sure there is SOME part of the loss that is the result of someone, somewhere saying "NO MORE STAR WARS FOR ME!" though I would imagine the large drop in $$$ is more just your average Joe moving on to other things.

I don't really believe in boycotts personally, though I am not sure I ever came across something where I felt my part would matter.

Nester99

Boycotts are dumb. If you don’t like it for whatever reason do not buy or consume it. It does not have to be a campaign. You don’t need to signal how Much virtue you have for not watching a movie or buying a thing.

what “Seriously Awful” thing did Blizzard and Kanomi do? Shoot down an air liner? Kill children?

Jubenhimer

what “Seriously Awful” thing did Blizzard and Kanomi do? Shoot down an air liner? Kill children?

For Blizzard, it was firing a Hearthstone player for supporting the #FreeHongKong movement. I get that they want to sell their games in China, but they could've just put out a statement saying "The views of our players, do not represent the views of our company". It still wouldn't have been a good look, granted, but it'd be better than straight up firing him, or getting involved in political movements that have nothing to do with them as a company.

For Konami, it was their horrible treatment of employees, the petty actions they took against Kojima, and their poor messaging regarding their move towards mobile games and pachinko machines. After MGS V, they put out practically nothing of worth, so they were rightfully abandoned.

nocsi

lol these examples of boycotting non-tangible things. Like Disney and Blizzard are somewhat insulated from an impact of an individual compared to say boycotting produce at a grocery store, wherein the produce is persishable. Looking at this another way, Disney and Blizzard don't even have a way to quantify the "missed* sale from your boycott. They simply don't give a shit and don't have a way to notice. Meanwhile, your local grocer would respond to spoilage and order less, giving direct feedback to the supplier.

But at the end of the day, if this form of protest makes you feel good, then more power to you.

Gargus

Banned
I don't care if a company is being boycotted or not. If I like their product and have no personal problems with them then I'll continue to give them my business.

Spokker

I won't boycott companies. I just complain on the Internet about them.

If you boycott Disney aren't you shutting yourself out of 50% of the entertainment out there now? It's shameful and embarasing how they kowtow to China like many large companies, but the Mandalorian was surprisingly good.

So it's great to score potshots, like how Disney will threaten to not do business in a U.S. state over laws they don't like, but have no problem doing business in China.

But the Mouse always wins.

Jubenhimer

I actually stopped buying Gillette products. I dont walk around with a sign or anything, and I dont bug anyone else about it.

I think this is also the right way to do a boycott. Don't turn it into a campaign circus. If a company is doing something you don't like, just don't support it, and move on with your life.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Boycotts worked during the Civil Rights Movement... The Montgomery Bus Boycotts, Woolworths... There were others I can't remember right now. Even as recent as 15 years ago, there were effective boycotts. But to have effect, you have to have a mass movement that inspires others to join. Even those who aren't necessarily passionate about the fight you're waging.

TaySan

Banned
I boycott certain establishments for various reasons. Plenty of great alternatives to give my money to living In a major city.

Mistake

I make every attempt to boycott nestle, and I don’t go see anything disney owns. Nestle (also Poland Springs) is a bad company in general as I’m sure you guys know, but I saw myself as they sued their way into fryburg maine for water access. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poland_Spring under controversies.
Buying bottled water is dumb anyway, unless you live in flint Michigan.

I’m sure boycotts work with enough people that care, but that usually doesn’t happen. At least they don’t get my money

Last edited:

Teletraan1

Banned
I vote with my wallet all the time. I think pushing others to not consume products from companies you don't like/agree with/support is annoying.

Winter John

Gold Member
Sure they do. I can think of 2 local businesses who went bust because the town stopped supporting them. One was the DIY store owner who was seen kicking his dog. People didn't like that at all. He went bust within 2/3 months. The other was a little grocery store. The guy who owned it was real friendly but he was also shortchanging everyone. He done it to me a couple of times but it was for shitty amounts that wasn't worth my time chasing him about. I never understood why he did it. He was popular and his store was always busy, but once people caught on his business folded fast.

MilkyJoe

I am not sure under-performance == boycott. Maybe? But not always. Lots of people said they were boycotting Star Wars because they didn't like TLJ or whatever, and SOLO flopped, but did it flop due to "boycotts" or just because it wasn't anything anyone wanted? Same with TROS? I am sure there is SOME part of the loss that is the result of someone, somewhere saying "NO MORE STAR WARS FOR ME!" though I would imagine the large drop in $$$ is more just your average Joe moving on to other things.

I don't really believe in boycotts personally, though I am not sure I ever came across something where I felt my part would matter.

Well Gillette lost 8 billion on the best a man can be campaign and that's just a fucking razor. Star Wars is some peoples life. Do no understand the power of the fandom.

Top Bottom