• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do you deal with the fact that you will die?

Status
Not open for further replies.

I think it's romantic, in a sense, that I will return to the earth in some capacity and end up being the building blocks for other organisms, or become the matter that makes up another human being someday.

Yup, I think it's a beautiful thought to return to the same earth that gave me life and become the building blocks of new life.

Also, not like I'll have much to worry about when I'm dead. It will just be like going to sleep and never waking up again.

ygx4makzes70tbjrhdsstwna87.gif

It's weird for me. When I was young, I had a health scare, and came to terms with the fact that I may die soon. ( Parents pushing the old Irish Catholic "YOURE GOING TO GO TO HELL IF YOU SIN" didn't help the anxiety.) Between medical things, or worrying about things that I had no control of, I basically lived each day in constant fear of it.

Then one day, you are a little less afraid, and a little less, a little less, and so on. One day, it stops being so scary.

You can either waste your life being afraid, or you can live your life and enjoy it. That's also how I am justifying eating these cookies right now.

Once I realized time and memory is fluid and based on our perception of it, I stopped worrying about when I'll die.

I'm basically already fated to die and I'm just experiencing the visions between birth and grave. Gotta just enjoy the ride, realizing that we're less seperate and individual than our brittle egos tell us.

I'm more worried if I'm actually living properly. Can't let death get in the way of life. Living is harder than dying.

daffy

Banned
I just don't want it to be painful. Just take me out back and shoot me instead of having me squirming around on a hospital bed

YuShtink

Anybody who claims to know how to "deal" with death is a damned liar.

I don't think anyone ever really comes to grips with it. Scares the fuck out of me though. Just can't dwell on it because there is nothing we can do about it.

A lot of people try to trivialize death through rational or conceptual means, but that no longer finds its mark when death ceases to be merely abstract.

Dostoyevsky had an experience where he was nearly executed, and how he described it is that the anticipation or mortal dread (which in the context of execution is presented to you as an absolute certainty), becomes so paralysing that time itself slows down, and each moment of anticipation becomes an agony. You end up wishing to be dead just to get it over with, but even that doesn't work because the fear of death is why you're in this state in the first place.

So mortal dread is a feeling that you can't go forwards, backwards, or anywhere, it's a feeling of being utterly stuck, you're both 'afraid to live and afraid to die'.

There isn't an easy solution to this, it's why people go headlong into existentialism or experience religious conversions. Just thinking about stuff differently won't banish it. I read the Four Noble Truths and converted to Theravada Buddhism to try to make my life's work an exercise in trying to not die with regret, but ymmv.

kswiston

I turned 35 recently. I do think that it is a bit disturbing that I have already gone through somewhere between a third and half of my natural life (assuming nothing terrible comes my way early). It still sort of feels like life just began not too long ago. However 35-65 years is still a long time, so I will focus on enjoying it, and doing what I can to get to the upper end of that range. Not much else I can do.

Creepy

I'm mostly concerned about what to do with my body.

If I get cremated, nobody will be able to mess with my hot non consenting zombie bod.
..But I won't be able to join the skeleton legion in their crusade against humanity...
...which would be a bummer...

Around 9th grade I accepted that I was in fact athiest and as such started to have a crises of me not existing one day. There were times where I would just lay in bed and freak the fuck out. At one point it just clicked, and I accepted it. I'll live my life, enjoy what I have, and when it no longer exists it no longer exists. I just don't sweat it anymore. I have my wife, my kids, and I'll enjoy them throughout my time and love every moment of it until I can't.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I deal with it by living. Knowing the end result will be my death frees me a bit to live life the best I can. Why stress, why worry about death, its like the only 100% sure thing in life. You can not change it, all you can do is delay its onset. So live, because one day you will die, its assured, so do what you want and can now before it comes.

If you knew tomorrow your favorite park was going to close and there wasnt a thing you could do about it, what would you do? You'd go enjoy it with the last bit of time left!

If your favorite pizza joint was closing tomorrow what would you do? You'd go enjoy it and eat some god damn pizza!

Life is like that, shop closes potentially tomorrow, so go enjoy it now while you can.

norm9

If Final Destination 5 is accurate, if you take someone else's life, that person takes your place and you're in the clear. Go kill someone.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
To be honest, all the fear and anxiety only matters up to the point when it actually happens. So whats the point?

In the end, it doesn't even matter
rrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

shem935

Banned
Despairing over foregone conclusions is like despairing over up being up or g=9.81m/s2. Not much point to it. Take the constants for what they are.

Shadybiz

The thought of death itself doesn't really bother me.

It's the growing old, not having as much energy as when I was young, maybe not being able to contend with stairs very well, quite possibly having dementia and having to go to an assisted living facility if it gets bad enough, or my wife having to deal with it....it's that kind of stuff that worries me. But eh...you can't worry about that too much either; there's no stopping it.

Fou-Lu

I don't think about it because if I do I'll be wasting time worrying that I could be doing better things while I am still alive.

Social

This thread made me realise I should stop trying to achieve bigger and better things and just accept that I will die any way. Good guy OP.

highrider

Banned
You'll be more equipped to deal with it when you are older and begin to experience physical decline. It still sucks, but you understand it.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
I don't believe in an afterlife so when it happens, it happens. Might as well make the best of what limited time I have now

I work towards building a family who will be there for me when my time comes. We can't avoid death, but we can avoid dying alone.

StoneFox

I just view life like Disneyland. You may not get to do all the rides, but it's good to enjoy the ones you do get to experience.

you are fine while your sleep because you "know" you will wake up the next morning
Sleeping is dying without the commitment. ;P

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
RIP me. I've been through quite a few existential crises, but at this point I'm over it. It'll hurt when I lose family and friends, but until then I'll coast with blissful ignorance.

kai3345

Banned
by creating

making things (for me - writing, music, etc.) slows my perception of time. so I try to do it as much as I can

Foffy

Banned
To study and better understand death, primarily from the illusion we give ourselves to be isolated, standalone entities.

As you read posts here, your very cells are coming and going. Where is "you" in this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom