• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do you guys manage without long vacations/paid parental leave etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eXistor

I get about 5 weeks a year as well. I'd go fucking nuts if that wasn't the case, so good job Europe I guess.

Maedre

Banned
Honestly a five week vacation sounds worse to me. I don't know what I would do with all that time, I would be absolutely bored and miserable to whole time.

Yeah wow. It must be hard to have Time for yourself or Friends/Family or hobbys.

Think of the small business!?
Said, no one ever.

I said it earlier, actually. Why do you hate small businesses? They make things run. They're the backbone of your community. Many of them aren't rolling in tons of money, but are providing a ton of jobs for American workers. Fuck them, right?

Badabing

Time ta STEP IT UP
Out of interest what are personal days? Seems just like an additional 2 vacation days (Holiday days for me) or are they for doctors appointments etc.

From what I can tell it is personal time off that cannot be questioned by management, does not need to be planned, and is not related to a sickness or vacation.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Americans do behave like Stockholm Syndrome.

My travels to Spain coincided with summer vacation as an American student, started in August and ended in the last week of August/beginning September . Which coincided with many of they aunts and uncles vacations, which was awesome.

Ah ok, sorry wasnt able to decipher your comment.

No worries.

Redders

From what I can tell it is personal time off that cannot be questioned by management, does not need to be planned, and is not related to a sickness or vacation.

That's pretty decent, almost like just wake up and be like I'm not feeling it today but doesn't count towards calling in sick.

Hazmat

Out of interest what are personal days? Seems just like an additional 2 vacation days (Holiday days for me) or are they for doctors appointments etc.

Personal days are days off that you don't have to schedule in advance. Companies have rules about scheduling vacation time so they don't have everyone out at once or when something important is happening. Personal time can't be refused, it's for being sick, doctor's appointments, sick kid, family emergency, etc.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
I said it earlier, actually. Why do you hate small businesses? They make things run. They're the backbone of your community. Many of them aren't rolling in tons of money, but are providing a ton of jobs for American workers. Fuck them, right?

It's mandatory by law in many EU countries, which I am getting at.
Maybe you're just a huckster.

Hackbert

mhh working retail here in Germany. We can plan 30 workdays a year for vacation.
lower paid jobs (450 € base) are getting 36 days, cause 6 workdays a week.

it seems to be a real hobby of many germans to plan the days around holidays, to bridge gaps so that they can extend the weeks of vacation. i work most of the holidays either, so i am not in that ship.

what irks me more is the state of the sickdays. nowadays it feels like many workers get "sick" right before or after their vacation to extend them. that makes me quite mad. As it f*** my shiftmanagement.

work at a tech company in the US that gives unlimited paid time off as is fashionable in the industry. other companies I've worked for without an such an official policy had both official, accrued-over-time PTO and off the books 'as your manager, I totally say you were here that day' PTO.

unlimited PTO is great for companies in industries that don't require a specific amount of bodies on a given day, unlike retail, nor have specific pressure to deliver, i.e. tech companies that practice continuous delivery. people in these industries don't take all the 'official' PTO they're given anyway, so why not make it unlimited?

they'll take even less time off, because there isn't a pressure to use all the time before some arbitrary expiration date. if they actually do take more than the average amount, it's likely because they're close to/already burning out and need one or two unexpected 'mental health days' every few weeks or a very extended amount of time away, which is what this is designed to cover. a temporary loss in productivity is worth retention of high performers, regardless of how long it takes them to return.

TL;DR unlimited PTO is for mental breakdowns, not family vacations.

Redders

Personal days are days off that you don't have to schedule in advance. Companies have rules about scheduling vacation time so they don't have everyone out at once or when something important is happening. Personal time can't be refused, it's for being sick, doctor's appointments, sick kid, family emergency, etc.

Thanks for clarifying, that would be useful to have. For appointments I either have to book time off work or adjust my hours around it.

Faustek

Hah, in Sweden as well. HR actually forced me to take a vacation. They have done so on multiple occasions. Checked my balance at work and I can basically stay at home for half a year with just saved vacation/overtime hours I haven't taken out. It's kinda neat actually but man do I start climbing on walls if I'm away from work more than a week.

Fliesen

Honestly a five week vacation sounds worse to me. I don't know what I would do with all that time, I would be absolutely bored and miserable to whole time.

it's "5 weeks a year"

nobody goes on a 5 week vacation, but rather 1 week in winter, 2 in summer, and maybe a few days here and there (like to bridge a gap day between a national holiday and the week-end)

Austrian school summer break is 2 months, so that 2 or even 3 week trip with the kids in summer is rather normal here.

If your business is unable to run if you lack 1 employee, you're in trouble anyways, since that employee could become sick, burnt out, have an accident, or quit.

what irks me more is the state of the sickdays. nowadays it feels like many workers get "sick" right before or after their vacation to extend them. that makes me quite mad. As it f*** my shiftmanagement.

yeah, sadly, there's always people who abuse any kind of system. Doesn't mean the system is flawed, just that those people lack a certain sense of decency.

If you're in a job in the US that doesn't offer vacation time then likely you're in survival mode and not thinking about it. Glad I've landed a decent job that offers me PTO, though it's no where as nice as 5 weeks a year.

I'm lucky enough to have a job that offers PTO, but its distribution schedule is ridiculous.

1 year at the company... 1 week paid vacation, 1 paid personal day, 1 week paid sick time, 12 weeks unpaid family medical leave (government regulation). Okay, not bad.

2 years at the company... 2 weeks paid vacation, 1 paid personal day, 1 week paid sick time, 12 weeks unpaid family medical leave. Still, okay, not bad.

10 fucking years... 3 weeks paid vacation, 2 personal days, 1 week paid sick time, 12 weeks unpaid family medical leave. What the fuck is with that time jump?

18 goddamn years... 4 weeks paid vacation, 3 personal days, 1 week paid sick time, 12 weeks unpaid family medical leave. I can't even.

I think the time jump for the last two brackets are ridiculous, and not increasing sick time either. I could see a jump from 2 years to 5 years for the third bracket and then to 10 years for the fourth, but not how it is now.

Sheytan

And while I get that it's nice and all, for a small business (which I believe are the biggest employer in the US) it is not feasible to literally pay people for years and months at a time without them doing work. People on gaf like to think that every place of business is raking in the money and purposefully screwing employees, but the reality is often much different.

The vacation days is part of the salary, if you quit or get fired then you can get your vacation days that you haven't used in cash.

Faustek

Try working with any company in Finland. They take their holidays way to seriously. It's like the whole country stands still.

What the hell is up with that? If you die after 40 years working there do they give you flowers at the funeral but if you die after 39 years you get Nada?

Randam

relaxe, travel, spend time with friends an family, pursue your hobbies, do something around the house, etc.

Yu Narukami

Wait a minute. You guys have "sick days" in the US?? If you have no more sick days you don't get paid? Am I misunderstanding something?

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
I work at a school in Norway. Summer vacation + autumn + christmas + winter +easter = around 12-13 weeks of paid vacation every year.

I refuse to find a job with better pay because of it.

Aurongel

Wait a minute. You guys have "sick days" in the US?? If you have no more sick days you don't get paid? Am I misunderstanding something?
Yup, this is why people going to work sick and infecting the rest of the office can be such an issue for some businesses. I've definitely gone into work with a common cold or cough before.

Ledsen

Didn't know that either... the US system seems built to punish low-income workers. They get punished for having children (which they are more likely to have the lower their income), they get punished for being sick (which again, they are more likely to be). And then of course the more kids you have, the more likely you are to get sick. And around it goes.

Wow I'm so sorry for you. What if you need surgery and can't work for a month?

That's (at least in my job) covered under a seperate time off, though it's something like half pay after a certain amount of time.

Edit: Just checked my employer's benefits page

Illness/Injury Income: Effective 1st day of employment. 100% base monthly earnings on the day of illness or injury up to 120 calendar days.

Long-Term Disability: ]Effective following six (6) full months of employment. 60% of base monthly earnings after a 120 day waiting period. Benefits are payable until the end of disability or age 65. May purchase a policy to increase to 66 2/3% of monthly earnings.

From the US:

We recently had our third child, my wife stays home and raises the children (takes them to school, takes care of them during the day, feed/cloth etc). I work 40+ hours a week (more like 46+ hours per week).

That being said, when my recent son was born I took two weeks off for assistance while my wife recovered and to enjoy the Birth of our third. I get 5 weeks of vacation a year, and I take every single moment of that vacation time.

Do I wish I got more paid paternity leave? Yes, I would love to be home and helping my wife with he children for more time. Who wouldn't?

Ledsen

From the US:

We recently had our third child, my wife stays home and raises the children (takes them to school, takes care of them during the day, feed/cloth etc). I work 40+ hours a week (more like 46+ hours per week).

That being said, when my recent son was born I took two weeks off for assistance while my wife recovered and to enjoy the Birth of our third. I get 5 weeks of vacation a year, and I take every single moment of that vacation time.

Do I wish I got more paid paternity leave? Yes, I would love to be home and helping my wife with he children for more time. Who wouldn't?

I hear you. I think every parent deserves to be able to have time with their small child (dads as much as moms) and I think it hugely benefits both parents and children. I hope your future government makes it easier for people who don't have a boatload of money to do so!

Yu Narukami

Many people where I work abuse the system. They simulate a depression or whatever and don't work for a few months. Ofc with full salary.

eot

Banned
First of all you don't have to take it all at once, you can take a few long weekends here and there maybe to visit family, then a few weeks straight in summer. Secondly, if you don't have anything to do outside work, maybe that's a problem of working too much and not having time to cultivate interests?

I know some people live to work but I could never do that. There are more things I want to do and experience than I'll ever get to in my lifetime, give me those vacation days thanks.

JaggedSac

I work at a pretty large corporation in the US. Get 5 weeks paid vacation and I have no idea about paternity leave since I don't have kids and don't plan on it anytime soon. We also don't have a limit on sick days. At least within reason.

spuckthew

UK here. I get 25 days (in addition, of course, to the 8 or so public holidays).

My current employer has some interesting policies regarding leave. I only worked in a school before this job so I don't know if any other companies do similar.

So we have 'special leave' which includes:
  • Up to 3 working days per financial year for sickness of a dependent child, spouse or life partner (including informal dependents).
  • Up to 3 working days per financial year for death or funerals of all immediate family members.
  • Up to 3 working days per event for your own wedding or civil ceremony.

So if I got married and someone in my family kicked the bucket, I'd get 6 days off for free!

Women get 52 weeks maternity leave, fully paid. Men get 14 days paternity leave. Men get the short end of the stick here, but at least it's pretty good for the ladies.

My company also offers 52 weeks ''adoption leave' (again, fully paid). But there's a catch to that one: you have to be only one intending to take time off. No idea how the company itself could regulate that (they probably can't), but yeah.

Oh, and 20 days sick paid leave. Which I fully intend to milk to the best of my ability without raising suspicion.

I get 2 weeks Annual Leave with the start of the year and could get more based on the time I work (overtime counts towards AL). Goes up to 3 weeks I think after 2 years or so. Also I get a sick day a month too. I still work a lot but thats not too bad for time off.

Watevaman

Working two part time jobs with no paid leave whatsoever. If I want time off, I just take it. It sucks that I'm not getting paid, but I either try to make up the hours or only take off time that I can afford to. I just took off my first "personal" day, not sick or a holiday, this past Friday since February.

Keri

Most of the parents I know took 12 weeks leave after the birth of their children and then sent their children to daycare, after they returned to work. Also, I think the average price of daycare around here is around $1,000 a month.

In my case, I took 15 weeks leave total, all of which was paid, but only because I had enough sick and vacation time saved to cover it. Short term disability could have applied to some portion of my leave, which would have paid around 55% of my salary, but since I had enough sick time and vacation time, I was required to use that for the entirety.

After I return to work (which is happening in 2 weeks and I'm dreading it), my husband is taking 12 weeks leave to watch our son. Most of his leave will be unpaid, because he doesn't have the same accrued time off as I did. We have savings though, so we can afford this and I think the time with our son is important.

After that, our plan is to have local Grandparents watch our baby, at least until he gets mobile. Once he's really mobile, I'm not sure they'll be able to keep up. Then we'll either send our baby to daycare or we're considering having my husband become a stay at home parent.

I live in the U.S. and it's definitely hard for parents to manage and juggle raising children.

KorrZ

I get 2 weeks a year. Basically what happens is:

I keep working without a vacation until the point where I'm essentially burned out, start dropping the ball, not doing a good job, don't give a fuck anymore...

Take a week vacation and feel better about work, life, everything.

Repeat.

But hey, I get an additional week next year since it's my 5th year at this company.

woolley

First of all you don't have to take it all at once, you can take a few long weekends here and there maybe to visit family, then a few weeks straight in summer. Secondly, if you don't have anything to do outside work, maybe that's a problem of working too much and not having time to cultivate interests?

I know some people live to work but I could never do that. There are more things I want to do and experience than I'll ever get to in my lifetime, give me those vacation days thanks.
I have interests but for me having the weekend to do them ate enough for me. And I dont find sitting around the house to be very relaxing, id much rather be doing something.

mhayes86

How much is daycare (we pay around $150 per month but if we have more kids we get a discount for each kid so it doesn't get out of hand)?

$150/month for daycare!? Hah! Try $150+ per kid a week. It's like having a second mortgage. You can always find better prices if you shop around, but it's not cheap here.

Anyway, I don't have a kid, so I'm not too familiar with how everyone manages. However, my fiancee's cousin and her husband work the same job and are able to work alternating days to be with their kid. I'll have to look into what the parental leave policy is for my company.

Vacation wise, though, I get three weeks of discretionary time to use whenever; holidays, sick days, personal days. My actual vacation time accrues by four hours a pay period (every two weeks), which increased to four recently due to my two year work anniversary. I'm currently up to 17 days of vacation time.

JoeNut

UK here so 26 days a year paid leave, we get 2 weeks paternity leave, maternity is 6 months (on shit pay though)

OP - don't you guys pay like 60% tax or something super high?

Haven't had 3 (or more) consecutive days off for any reason in over 6 years. Have never taken a vacation. How do I manage? The internet and video games. And I don't do shit when I'm not at work, if I can help it.

Ledsen

UK here so 26 days a year paid leave, we get 2 weeks paternity leave, maternity is 6 months (on shit pay though)

OP - don't you guys pay like 60% tax or something super high?

I have a pretty good salary and pay around 22%-25% income tax. People with high income pay 60% tax but only on the salary above a certain threshold (~$53000 per year, which is already way above average salary) Anything up to that threshold still gets the normal, substantially lower tax. Doctors and other people with $100 000+ yearly salaries do get screwed, yes

numble

Yeah, if only Americans could get to have unpaid days off!
We do.

Many jobs also give maternity leave and more vacation (though not usually 5 weeks), but it isn't federally mandated, iirc. However, there's a certain level of job/wage below which you don't get those benefits. I believe that should change.

My question is - if everyone leaves for a month or so during the year, how do you get the work done that needs to be done. For instance, I'm an attorney, and people's attorney needs don't just stop because you're on vacation. If I was at a firm and everyone left for a month, who handles the work? Seems very unbelievable to me, but probably because I've never been in a system like that.

The big law firms have very generous leave benefits. Leaves need approval, so the supervisors know not to approve everyone for the same time. The average revenue per lawyer for the top 100 law firms was $894,253, while average pay is probably 1/4 of that, so they are still in the black with lawyers having vacation. Nobody takes a month at a time, and they probably won't approve that. 5 weeks of vacation time can mean having a 4 day weekend every month, for instance, or a week off every other month. You can tell clients that you will be on vacation and you can delegate work to others.

Generally, law firms should be moving more and more towards undefined vacation time anyway, there is enough incentive to make sure people meet their targets by giving billable hour targets and bonuses tied to performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom