• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do you organise your 3DS home screen?

rekameohs

Banned
wl0Q2Rsl.jpg

I like-a my folders since I got a lot of stuff downloaded and I like being able to actually see the icons. They're:

1: 3DS Retail
2: DSi/3DS eShop
3: NES VC
4: Game Boy VC
5: 3D Classics
6: Demos (1/2)
7: Demos (2/2)
8: Videos
9: Miscellaneous

Videos one is pretty empty, and I could replace that one when Nintendo adds GBA VC lol yeah right.

EDIT: Kind of like the idea of a star folder as either a completed games or a backlist folder. Might have to adopt that idea.

DJ_Lae

You must be loving DJ_Lae's screen then hahah

That's part of the reason I posted it - I know there's a complete lack of organization. I just sort of put things there as I downloaded them and never touched them again.

I can only imagine the fits it's giving people.

2 rows.

First block is the game in the system, first block in second row is the eShop game I happen to be playing at the moment.

Then I've got settings and a folder for the junk apps (off screen way to the right), and folders for 3DS eShop games, NES games, GB games, and demos.
Cartidge, useful, and static things on the left. Games being played on the column to the right of folders.
A5D0l7f.jpg
I might actually copy this method for more descriptive folder names.

P.S. My Wii U home menu is giving me fucking agita because there are no folders. I NEED FOLDERS TO PROPERLY ORGANIZE, NINTENDO.

Hide everything not of immediate use on the WiiU's last page.

Out of sight, out of mind. They need to get on the folder and sizing options, but hiding everything works for now.

GRW810

Two rows.

Along the top; cartridge game and folders (E - eShop games, V - Virtual Console, D - DSiWare, * - demoes. D having already been taken).

Bottom row, in order; eShop, Mii Plaza, Camera, Nintendo Video, Settings, YouTube, everything else in some sort of neglected mess.

Hide everything not of immediate use on the WiiU's last page.

Out of sight, out of mind. They need to get on the folder and sizing options, but hiding everything works for now.
Yep, this. If health and safety must exist on my console it will do so out of the way like some unwanted child.

javac

I leave them the way they are :$

Still have all the trailers they released since launch and even the demo's for games I own. WTF is wrong with me! All dem ambassador games tho...

k91191

lyPJlQR.jpg

First 4x4 spaces are my favorite games for easy/quick access.

N = NES games
g = GB/GBC
G = GBA
3 = 3DS games
A = Applications
S = Settings (Heatlh Safety Info, Activity Log, Nintendo Zone, other misc.)

alejo0121

Well this is my mess of home screen:

Left: 3DS Preinstalled Apps & Games
Then: Other apps (Youtube, Netflix, etc.)
Then: GBA Ambassador Games
Then: GBC Games
Then: NES Ambassador Games
Ambassador Certificate
Then: Demos
Then: eShop Games
Then: eShop/Retail Games

Kazerei

Banned
I've got several folders so that I don't have to scroll sideways. Everything's on a single screen with 3x5 icons. If the L/R shoulder buttons could be used to scroll left/right though, I'd probably group my games onto different screens instead than different folders.

I like having all the games and apps directly accessible from the main screen but it gets kinda messy with a lot of stuff, so I use the folders to make it easier to spot everything without actually using them. And the first column is used for the main system apps. Everything I don't really use is stuffed into a single folder at the end of the screen.

3ds_homescreen_1.jpg
3ds_homescreen_2.jpg

massoluk

Banned
I like having all the games and apps directly accessible from the main screen but it gets kinda messy with a lot of stuff, so I use the folders to make it easier to spot everything without actually using them. And the first column is used for the main system apps. Everything I don't really use is stuffed into a single folder at the end of the screen.

3ds_homescreen_1.jpg
3ds_homescreen_2.jpg

Sound like a pain to reorganize dude... how do you fit the new stuff in.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
3tRDES1.jpg

Utilities
NES
3D Classics
Gameboy
GBA

Off to the side (From top):
Monster Hunter 3U Transfer App
Bravely Default Demo
eShop folder

Stuff off to the side is stuff I usually never touch (aside from the folder). Sadly, I like my icons big so I have to scroll to access everything.

Sound like a pain to reorganize dude... how do you fit the new stuff in.
It kinda is because I can't just fit something in between and let the system push everything else out of the way like with an Android or iOS device, so I have to move everything after it myself. But it's not like I buy a new game every day, so it's not that bad to reorganize it once in a while.

5*3.
Column 1: eShop, Cartridge, System settings
Column 2: 3 folders (currently one demo, one stuff that came with system like Mii plaza, one for eShop)
Column 3-5: Games and demos I am currently playing.

My goal is to have everything accessible on one screen at that zoom level. The folders are also x*3 (I think x is 6).

PsionBolt

5x3 grid, anything else is too small or too big.

Cart, Shop, Download Play, Mii Plaza, Settings
Row of 4 downloaded retail games and AA5
3, G, D, i, J folders
(3DSware, Guild series, Demos, DSiware, Junk)

I'm not sure what to do when I get another download retail game. I'll have to majorly re-organize somehow.

Santiako

I have to say I'm very surprised by the thread, I thought most people wouldn't put almost everything in folders. It just seems less convenient to me,

redcrayon

I have the 3x4 setup.

The top eight spots are the games I'm playing at the moment, or the ones I enjoy the most. I change them around quite a bit.
The bottom four are settings, eshop, and two folders, one for the virtual console overspill, and one for the eshop overspill.

Off screen are two further folders, one for miscellaneous system software, one for demos- I barely touch them so they aren't visable.

I do like the idea of folders for 'completed' and 'backlog', but I don't really look at games like that- some of them I'll play time and time again (typically relatively short older games like Megaman or Streets of Rage), and more recent games with 20-hour run times I'm unlikely to play more than once every few years. I like to keep a mix of stuff on screen so there's always something to suit my mood.

I'm not really one for just having folders either- I like the flash of colour of the game icons and find it pleasant to see an immediate choice of what to play, but find too many to be a distraction, leaving me unable to choose. I find my way of having a constantly rotating selection of immediate picks with a minimum of folders for the extras to be a happy compromise. Fascinating thread though, for me anyway :)

Shaanyboi

Banned
i have my folders for my downloaded games

i = DSiware
A = Ambassador games
e = eShop
r = retail
V = Virtual Console

I have to say I'm very surprised by the thread, I thought most people wouldn't put almost everything in folders. It just seems less convenient to me,

have as many icons as i do, and you really need them

Khaz

Most everything is on the main screen, except for the stuff I won't touch in a long time like the trailers (all 22 of them) and the demos (48, everything except the demos that came out after NNID).

▲ is for Zelda games
π is for picross
§ for Shantae
D for demos
V for videos.

I used to have a folder for the ambassador games, then I realised I had no reason other than historical to keep them apart. I tend to avoid grouping in legacy hardware too and rely more on genres.

I wish we had access to more characters, "PAL" 3DS are sold in every country that is not north america or japan, yet we only have extended latin, russian and greek characters.

I have two rows.

Top row: Whatever cartridge I have in there, Apps folder, Virtual Console folder, a folder that I shoved the Health and Safety Info thing into, eShop, and System Settings

Bottom Row: NES games folder, GBA games folder, eShop games folder, 3D Classics folder, and Demos folder

simple and easy to navigate

peakish

Wow I hadn't thought about using symbols as folder identifiers, totally switching to that now. Although I only have two, one for demos (now a star) and one for misc. crap like face raiders (now a note!).

kingkaiser

3dse4r6s.jpg

Just the things I use often, my downloaded games, the three apps I only use, and the folders for the rest.

NGC stands for my favorite Nintendo console, the GameCube.
In the N folder there are NES games, in the G folder there are GBA games and in the C folder there are all the crappy apps I will most certainly never use.

LXznV8M.jpg

• Square - NES games
  • Triangle upward - Gameboy games
  • Triangle downward - GBA games
  • Rhombus - 3DS and DSware
  • Circle - Demos
  • Arrows - Videos
  • Star - Other system apps i don't use anymore (Streetpass am cry)
Okay, this thing is always an incomplete mess, but for me is better this than having all dumped in one place, like javac.

P.S. My Wii U home menu is giving me fucking agita because there are no folders. I NEED FOLDERS TO PROPERLY ORGANIZE, NINTENDO.

OH GOD YOU ARE SO RIGHT.

I have folders for:

- Retail games
- eShop games
- Virtual Console games
- Demos

(Withing the VC folder, I divide games by system [NES, GBA, Genesis, etc]. Although I have all my Marios, Zeldas, and Metroids put together as series.

I don't even and I can't even. I wish things like this didn't bother me :(
It really is annoying me that we don't have folders on Wii U.

Wensih

I don't really buy anything digitally on my 3DS. I have a folder that contains all the ambassador games, and one or two VC games that I picked up but that's it in terms of organization.

Kup

4dGwsJL.png

Like this, digital games in the star folder, system apps, demos and junk goes in the square folder.

Used category folders before, I found it pretty annoying when I had so little stuff in some of them.

I don't need to take a photograph of mine, because this is pretty much spot on. I like the group of six tiles in a grid. Keeps it simple and tidy, and I'm not one to store downloaded titles on a home screen. I also have a folder for the unnecessary software I don't use and put it off screen.

Mephala

I have a neat 4x3 grid at all times.

Animal Crossing | Fire Emblem | Games Folder* | eShop
Cart | Currently playing game 1 | Demo Folder | Streetpass Mii Plaza
Pokemon | Currently playing game 2 | Stuff Folder** | Settings

*Inside games folder I have indies and classics on bottom row, the rest on top. Sorted via date of download.
**Has all the other stuff in it like Camera, Activity Log etc.

Chuckpebble

I imagine this is how Jake Rodkin organized his.

VideoGames.jpg

Virtual Console
Indie Games - VVVVVV, Gunman Clive, stuff like that
Demos
Eshop - Basically Nintendo eShop exclusives
Online - that ATV game

Games - the bundled games that I never use
Applications - sound recorder, photos, Colors 3D
Mii Stuff - Streetpass Plaza and Mii Creator
Entertainment - trailers from the eShop
Stuff - the health and safety thing and the Nintendo Zone app

Then I have eShop, game card and settings in the column just off the side of the screen.

MHULbFg.jpg

white stars are applications, nes games and demos

black stars are videos, gba games and eshop games(only ace attorney, dillons and senran kagura)

Yasawas

Row 1 - Retail. So the inserted cart and the other few retail eShop titles I have with a folder on the end to put any others in.

Row 2 - eShop. The four or five eShop games I'm moody likely to play next with a folder on the end for the rest

Row 3 - Virtual Console. Same as above, four or five I intend to play with a folder on the far right

Row 4 - settings, eShop, Activity Log and Mii Plaza.

I don't like using more than one page and I really wish the Wii U used folders too.

Platy

[01][02][03][04][05]
[06][07][08][09][10]
[11][12][13][14][15]

1-Bit.Trip Saga
2-Code of Princess
3-Pokemon x
4-DK94
5-Link's Awakening

6-Eshop
7-Colors!3D
8-Zelda LBW
9-Mii Plaza
10- Mario's Picross

11- "N" Folder ("once in a year"system stuff like mp3, download play, swapnote, camera,ar...)
12- System settings
13- Revelaitons
14- Mii Maker
15- "D" Folder with Demos

In the "second page", youtube app and cartridge

Main collum with the main downlouded games (pokemon/zelda/RE) with left is the secondary games (bit trip and code of princess) and virtual console on the right.
Left and right of zelda are the 2 of the most used stuff on the system, Colors and Mii Plaza

I used to play with various rows and column combos but once folders came I separated them out by retail distinction (I.e. Demo, 3DS, GBA, NES) and video apps (I.e. Nintendo Video, Netflix, YouTube) and finally system apps (I.e. StreetPass Plaza, Music, Camera etc.)

So the only icons not in folders are eshop, settings, health warning, and my ambassador certificate. Oh and the physical game launcher stays in the open too.

So its Inserted game > Folder - 3DS Games > Folder - GBA Games > Folder - NES Games > Folder - Demo's > Folder - Video > Folder - Apps > eShop > System Settings > Health & Safety > Ambassador Certificate

Top Bottom