• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How does EA get away with charging $50 for a handheld game?

Does that mean Madden NFL 06 is $60 in Canada?

That's just ridiculous.

I loved my PSP at launch, but now the post-honeymoon era has set in, and I'm just not digging this system as much anymore.

I don't like the D-Pad (sucks for Dark Stalkers), the games are way too expensive, there isn't much coming this year that I want, Sony didn't use SD Cards for the PSP but is using SD Cards for the PS3 (wtf?), so I have to pay more for a 1 GB Memory Stick (bleh).

On top of that it's a real pain in the ass to rip a movie to MP4 format.

Still digging the glossy black design and the vibrant LCD display, but its just not enough anymore.

Bluecondor

Speevy said:
You shouldn't have to accept it, especially after MGS4. ;)

Oh god the all encompassing MGS4 hype may even be worse than what we saw at E3 a few years back for MGS2.. Whoever makes the trailers for these games should get a huge freaking bonus....

Cloudy

Banned
jooey said:
hi konex. nearly every 3rd party PSP game is $50.

The only $50 games I see are EA's. It woudln't even be so bad if the infinitely superior console versions weren't the SAME price :lol

Tarazet

Cloudy said:
The only $50 games I see are EA's. It woudln't even be so bad if the infinitely superior console versions weren't the SAME price :lol

Burnout Legends is $36 at Gamefly...

sonarrat said:
Burnout Legends is $36 at Gamefly...

Cheap ass gamers for the win!

soundwave05 said:
Does that mean Madden NFL 06 is $60 in Canada?

That's just ridiculous.

I loved my PSP at launch, but now the post-honeymoon era has set in, and I'm just not digging this system as much anymore.

I don't like the D-Pad (sucks for Dark Stalkers), the games are way too expensive, there isn't much coming this year that I want, Sony didn't use SD Cards for the PSP but is using SD Cards for the PS3 (wtf?), so I have to pay more for a 1 GB Memory Stick (bleh).

On top of that it's a real pain in the ass to rip a movie to MP4 format.

Still digging the glossy black design and the vibrant LCD display, but its just not enough anymore.

I always feel better after a good cry too.

Agent X

Gold Member
jooey said:
hi konex. nearly every 3rd party PSP game is $50.

Are you talking about US dollars? If so, then most third-party PSP games have been released at $39.99. The only PSP games that are $49.99 are the ones from Electronic Arts and Activision, and maybe a handful of others here and there (Dynasty Warriors and Midnight Club 3 are two of them).

To answer the original question: They get away with it simply because they can. They make lots of games that people like, and if those people really want to play those games on PSP badly enough, then they'll pay the $49.99 that EA's asking.

I just bought EA's Burnout Legends for that price, because it's a game that I really wanted to play on my PSP. I also paid the same amount for Activision's Tony Hawk's Underground 2 Remix for the same reason. Those are the only two PSP games that I've paid $49.99 for--all the other PSP games I own (four of them--three of which were third-party) were $39.99.

Would I rather be paying $39.99 or lower for EA and Activision games on PSP? Of course I would.

Do I plan on buying a lot more PSP games at $49.99? Not really.

Would I pay $49.99 again in the future for a PSP game if it was very high in quality, and comparable in scope to something most people pay $49.99 to play on a TV-based game console? Well, if it's a game I really wanted, then yes, I probably would.

It's pure economics. If consumers get fed up with paying $49.99 for EA/Activision (and a smattering of other third-party) games, then sales of those games will drop off, and the publishers will get the message and lower prices accordingly. Until that time, however, if consumers perceive those games to be worth $49.99, then they'll continue to pay that amount, and publishers will continue to use that price point for their new releases.

Mrbob

Welcome to PSP launch.

Most 3rd party games are $39.99. EA, Activision, Rockstar, and Koei games are $49.99.

Only PSP game worth $49.99 will be GTA.

Sanjuro

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/257961.asp
Marvel Nemesis is $49.99.....because he is an exclusive character...
image.gif

Sorry, needed another reason to do it today.

Mr_Moogle

I think its obvious that EA want us to pay more for our games no matter what platform they are developed on. It all started when they hinted that next generation games would be more expensive because of increased development costs.

They are a second rate company, devoid of any creativity, relying solely on well known liscenses and sequels. Fuck them and the horse they rode in on.

Mr_Moogle said:
I think its obvious that EA want us to pay more for our games no matter what platform they are developed on. It all started when they hinted that next generation games would be more expensive because of increased development costs.

They are a second rate company, devoid of any creativity, relying solely on well known liscenses and sequels. Fuck them and the horse they rode in on.

That said, Burnout Legends RAWKS!

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
krypt0nian said:
That said, Burnout Legends RAWKS!

But the taint of EA is on Burnout 3, Revenge, and Legends, since they went in and put their shitty EA Trax crap into the game. :)

Lyte Edge said:
But the taint of EA is on Burnout 3, Revenge, and Legends, since they went in and put their shitty EA Trax crap into the game. :)

Too true, but the beauty still shines through.

Enough with the crap barely-signed bands EA!!!

DCharlie

Banned
"Enough with the crap barely-signed bands EA!!!"

SHUTTT YA FACEE
SHUTTA SHUTTAA YA FACCCEEEe

I KNOOOOOW THE WUUUURDDDSSSS
I KNAAAW WHATCHA SAAAAIIIYAAAAAIINNNN

Who sings this turd?

(at least Revenge has Bloc Party)

Top Bottom